To Those BOOING at the end of the game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:In the English Premier League whenever a team starts to pass the ball around without the opposition touching it the supporters start to cheer every pass
seriously, we should have all been cheering or chanting "OLE!" everytime the ball was chipped and kept in possession. we should never boo our own team when it's 1st on the ladder and comprehensively beating its opponent.

i actually laughed the whole time they played keepings off, because it would have absolutely annoyed the hell out of the crows fans hahaha...

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

In Defence of those booing, which I was not one of however , I was extremely pissed off about the last half of the game for these reasons . before the game some people gave the crows a chance of winning, I thought if we play our best we were a 6 - 8 goal better side . I was wrong! IF we played our best we are A 20 goal better side. Defensively we were outstanding and in Attack we just lacked a little bit of polish , and we missed a lot of easy goals , so as a long suffering saints supporter I and i think many others would have enjoyed us ending Adelaides season today, cos I think the 100 point win which we were capable of today surely would have shellshocked them for the rest of the season.
I understand we had a short week , perth trip , doggies game next week, another short week, few key personal out , etc . etc ..... I just think any time we can re-flute adelaide , Elton John style , we should take it.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Quote from the after-match presser..

Lyon said he was mindful in the late stages of yesterday's twilight game that his side has two fewer days preparation than the Dogs before they meet this weekend.

"We scored really efficiently and quickly and we would have scored a lot more, to be frank, except we took our foot off the pedal in the last quarter because we were one down and we knew we had a short break and we wanted to kick it around and conserve energy,"

So there we have it people..and it makes perfect sense to me. Sorry if a few peoples vendettas werent met with a 100 point win..but the Saints of 2009 have bigger fish to fry and I for one am verrrry happy about that!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:In Defence of those booing, which I was not one of however , I was extremely pissed off about the last half of the game for these reasons . before the game some people gave the crows a chance of winning, I thought if we play our best we were a 6 - 8 goal better side . I was wrong! IF we played our best we are A 20 goal better side. Defensively we were outstanding and in Attack we just lacked a little bit of polish , and we missed a lot of easy goals , so as a long suffering saints supporter I and i think many others would have enjoyed us ending Adelaides season today, cos I think the 100 point win which we were capable of today surely would have shellshocked them for the rest of the season.
I understand we had a short week , perth trip , doggies game next week, another short week, few key personal out , etc . etc ..... I just think any time we can re-flute adelaide , Elton John style , we should take it.
Were you at the game. We went backwards because we couldnt go forward because they had 18 in the defence. As for 100 point win that means nothing. There was definately booing but it comes from supporters who have no idea. We are 16 nil and were 10 goals up when they started booing. Little idea of footy those people.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:
Devilhead wrote:In the English Premier League whenever a team starts to pass the ball around without the opposition touching it the supporters start to cheer every pass

This is what we should be doing especially when we are 10 goals up with 5 minutes to play - we should be cheering the fact that the opposition can't get the ball off us - we should be giving a huge rousing reception to every backward pass every little dinky kick to a player unmarked - we should be celebrating this game of keepings off

We are the Saints we are 16 zip

:twisted:
This.

I absolutely love it when a game is killed off early as it was today and we can just sit back and, in a way, not really concentrate on the game.

The amount of energy we conserve by doing this is invaluable. Absolutely no point going gung-ho when the game is already won. We've made more than enough statements this year. The only thing left to prove is that we can do it in September.

Also interesting to see that we have introduced a new signal for 'keep possession/slow it down' as opposed to the traditional 'holding the ball in the air'

- Roo was running around tapping an imaginary watch on his wrist presumably meaning "take some time off the clock".[/
quote]

tell the world!

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Was shocked that the booing was so loud & obviously directed at our team. Decided to do my own personal little mexican wave & "yayed" everytime one of our players took a mark in the backline. Kept me amused anyway. :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Numpties on L2 Aisle 38 Row L seats (roughly) 30-40 ish

Booing and disgusted at the slowing tempo of the game when we could have really - what? Maintained top spot and gained an extra .01% point...

FFS :roll: FFS :roll: FFS :roll:
I was in 35 L 2....and while a great view it was definitely a "theatre going set" near me.

I think I was about the only one actually barracking!!!!!

The guy (supposedly a Saints supporter!!!) behind gave a 4 quarter running commentary about how bad the Saints were :shock: when we shared the ball around to reposition.

Be good to be back in the SC next week (despite Solar's experience) where people actually barrack.

As to the Booing......FFS we have to play the Dogs with a 6 day break....why run ourselves into the ground??

Personally I thought it quite funny that we finished the game with only 17 on the ground to the Crows 18....a point that I highlighted to some Crows fans near me. :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
milney044
Club Player

I couldn't believe it when we started booing. 16 straight and 10 goals up, but nope, still not good enough. :roll: I was enjoying it, it made the Crows look pathetic and i was cheering them on to kick it to Zac or Gram, who are in my dream team. I was finding it quite entertaining!
As if you would boo your own team who just trounced a top 4 contender. Unbelievable.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:In Defence of those booing, which I was not one of however , I was extremely pissed off about the last half of the game for these reasons . before the game some people gave the crows a chance of winning, I thought if we play our best we were a 6 - 8 goal better side . I was wrong! IF we played our best we are A 20 goal better side. Defensively we were outstanding and in Attack we just lacked a little bit of polish , and we missed a lot of easy goals , so as a long suffering saints supporter I and i think many others would have enjoyed us ending Adelaides season today, cos I think the 100 point win which we were capable of today surely would have shellshocked them for the rest of the season.
Were you at the game. We went backwards because we couldnt go forward because they had 18 in the defence. As for 100 point win that means nothing. There was definately booing but it comes from supporters who have no idea. We are 16 nil and were 10 goals up when they started booing. Little idea of footy those people.
Thank god someone else could finally see this. They had completely flooded down back and if they could have gotten away with it, they would have had the coaches and the runners down there trying to stop us from getting the ball out and scoring!

I was absolutely furious at the pathetic display by some of the so called St Kilda members yesterday at the game! They have no friggin idea! Hang your heads in shame! I have never been more disappointed or ashamed of fellow St Kilda supporters. What more does this team have to do for you, you ungrateful pathetic pieces of sh*%t! Go support Carlton or Collingwood as we sure as hell don't want you at St Kilda!!!!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So it seems we have found some of our booers :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ironic
i went to the blues crows game earlier in the year at aami.

crows are way ahead and a few in front of me start booing their team (crows)
i piped up and said i cant believe you are booing your own team.
the old bloke in front of me, proceeded to ask me 'who the f*** am i' and that he is a member and he will boo if he wants to.
the guy to his left sitting there with his two very young sons, proceeded to say he doesnt pay to watch this crap...they should be bombing it in long.

i tried to explain about a 'zone' and the advantages of kicking back and across to switch play but the old man just waves the hand in the air telling me i have no idea....
next qtr, crows start bombing it long, and the blues put 4 goals on the board.

"got anything to say mate?".....i jokingly ask
"f*** off mate, u have no idea" was the reply.

well u silly old bastard.....i bet you were booing again yesterday after a loss.
i cant believe people boo their own team.
f****** stoopid.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:So it seems we have found some of our booers :wink:
Bloody post-2004 bandwagon jumpers. I s'pose we'll have to put up with them until the performances drop off...looks like we'll have to grin and bear it for a while yet. 8-)
Last edited by degruch on Mon 20 Jul 2009 12:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Gee wizz there is no pleasing some people, what more could you ask for, we are 16 and Zip for crying out loud.
Is not being Top of the ladder and 2 games clear enough for you? (AFTER 16 RNDS)
Is not having Best Defense in the league by a country mile enough for you?

IS not smashing the crows by nearly 10 goals in the end enough for some of you?

AND YOU HAVE THE CHEEK TO BOO!

Fair Dunkim, would you rather us be bottom of the ladder and luckly to win 3 or 4 games again. That way that can give you a reason to BOO

FFS! its very dissapointing!
I couldn't believe it yesterday afternoon having to witness our OWN supporters sounding like a pack of Collingwood or Adelaide supporters.

SHAME ON YOU!

Honeslty, Live for the moment, its not going to happen every year.
It's not often that see a team let alone OUR team win the first *16 games of a season. Not many supporters can say their team has won 16 straight, let alone win the first 16 games

(please note the * beside the 16 games)

/end of rant!

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

There was a mentally deficient (I assume) man sitting behind me yesterday who was part of the boo squad.

I told him he an was fwit (not in those words!), all he could say was he has supported St Kilda since before I was born.

Well you loser.....we aint been much chop for 40 odd years....no flag, so tosser what clue would you have? ZERO!

Ross Lyon said it all: we have a 6 day break vs an 8 day break for the Doggies.

We iced the clock.

IF there are several thousand Saints fans that don't understand that, they are also either mentally deficient or just plain clueless.

My question is, do supporters of other teams in a similar position behave as appaulingly as ours?

Fair Dinkum tool sitting in Row G, Aisle 36, get a clue!

At least a lady sitting next to him said "I want to see entertaining footy".....well, I said to her at least that's a fair call.

I just want to keep seeing us win, a couldn't give a flog about entertaining footy in the 4th quarter, 9 goals up, with 2 months of footy left!!!

rant over!

python
Club Player

[quote="saintspremiers"]There was a mentally deficient (I assume) man sitting behind me yesterday who was part of the boo squad.

I told him he an was fwit (not in those words!), all he could say was he has supported St Kilda since before I was born.

Well you loser.....we aint been much chop for 40 odd years....no flag, so tosser what clue would you have? ZERO!

Ross Lyon said it all: we have a 6 day break vs an 8 day break for the Doggies.

We iced the clock.

IF there are several thousand Saints fans that don't understand that, they are also either mentally deficient or just plain clueless.

My question is, do supporters of other teams in a similar position behave as appaulingly as ours?

Fair Dinkum tool sitting in Row G, Aisle 36, get a clue!

At least a lady sitting next to him said "I want to see entertaining footy".....well, I said to her at least that's a fair call.

I just want to keep seeing us win, a couldn't give a flog about entertaining footy in the 4th quarter, 9 goals up, with 2 months of footy left!!!

rant over![/quote]

even then i'd be placing all blame on adelaides performance for the lack of an entertaining game, you cant boo a side for being far too good!

bozza1980
Club Player

It annoys me no end.

Theres a bloke near me who carries on like we are the worst side in the comp. He's also one of the "just kick it long" crew who always cry out "who are you kicking it too" when it goes wrong.

It's rubbish that a side 15-0, 10 goals up against a side considered by many as the mob that were going to knock us off, getting booed.

Our mob are going pretty damn well, to be fair I'm sure we are never going to be in a better position after 16 rounds again, I can't understand why some people can't just enjoy it.

Based on the venting directed at this side I'm suprised the supporters survived 2000/01.

HarveysDeciple

"I go to the footy to be entertained"

Then your not their for the right reasons!!

I go to watch the Saints win games.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

it appears from the boos that most fans don't understand what the saints were doing and why they were icing the clock down.

1. the saints don't really need the extra points. we are 2 games and 30% in front as it stands.
2. instead of taking off players at the end of match (and leaving the saints with 6 players on the bench) or dropping players for a game to give them a rest. the saints are doing it during the match when the match has been won already. they have down it a couple of times late in matches.

3. adelaide flood hugely. why not bring in temp footy. saints learn how to ice clocks down, saints learn better how to move during flooding etc

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:it appears from the boos that most fans don't understand what the saints were doing and why they were icing the clock down.

1. the saints don't really need the extra points. we are 2 games and 30% in front as it stands.
2. instead of taking off players at the end of match (and leaving the saints with 6 players on the bench) or dropping players for a game to give them a rest. the saints are doing it during the match when the match has been won already. they have down it a couple of times late in matches.

3. adelaide flood hugely. why not bring in temp footy. saints learn how to ice clocks down, saints learn better how to move during flooding etc
We actually did finish with 5 on the bench.

GrumpyOne

If sunday's match was the Grand Final, and we were chipping the ball around at the end, as we were on Sunday, would these fwits still boo?

Of course not.

They would be celebrating and cheering such a succesful season.

To hell with how we get there, just as long as we get there.

After 50 years of supporting the Saints, I don't care if they play like comatose zombies, just as long as they keep winning. :D

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We have a massive quota of simple fans.

Agree with the observation that our fans' lack of understanding of the modern game is frightening.

Every time someone yells "bloody kick it" or boos the energy-conserving play, I just put my head in my hands.

Thankfully, the level two crowd seem a little better adjusted - or detached - from the mob I used to sit near on L1.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

HarveysDeciple wrote:"I go to the footy to be entertained"

Then your not their for the right reasons!!

I go to watch the Saints win games.
I dunno about this whole "people don't understand" business, I thinkt he post above has it - people have paid their money to be entertained, and feel they're not getting their money's worth... personally, I didn't find myself thinking "people are idiots", I found myself thinking "jeez, how spoilt are we!"

For me, it's about the Saints, the team who for entirely irrational reasons, I cannot watch objectively. As long as they win, I don't care how ugly it is.

And frankly, that's as ugly a game as I can remember... but I'm more happy that we were able to do to a quality pretender what was done to us in last years finals than I am picky about how it's done.

Sometimes I think that maybe one of the new teams should play man-up straight up and down the spine, always kick long, and never handpass. They'll be our Washington Generals, but they'll provide an avenue for those who want to see footy played a certain way.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I could never boo a player in a StKilda jumper, it is not in my nature.
But obviously ALOT of people at the dome felt differently.
so it makes me smile that while the "general" stkilda supporter has no idea, saintsational supporters are far more enlightened.
I will keep that in mind the next time one of us bags the bejeebies out of one of our lesser skilled players.

On the issue of kicking backwards and the old hold possession signal. What frustrates me is that it guarantees one thing. The opposition is about to kick a goal. StKlda can not play tempo/possesion football. I used to get frustrated but admire the Swans as they were the masters at it. And I see it as the one thing our players havent learnt yet. The whole idea of the tactic is to goad and draw out the defense, but it often looks like we are the ones under pressure. And when the kick forward finally comes, yes, it more often than not leads to goal from a turn over. One idea I have had for a while is to move the ball to about 60mt out on the right flank. And then WE flood that side of the ground, inside the 50mt arc in a bunch waiting for the long kick in. You have Roo, Kosi, Gardiner, Fisher all capable of a big pack mark, and then with a very getable shot 30-35mt out, or it leaves the defenders with little choice but to kill the ball over the boundary, 30mt from their goal.

Seeya
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:On the issue of kicking backwards and the old hold possession signal. What frustrates me is that it guarantees one thing. The opposition is about to kick a goal. StKlda can not play tempo/possesion football. I used to get frustrated but admire the Swans as they were the masters at it. And I see it as the one thing our players havent learnt yet. The whole idea of the tactic is to goad and draw out the defense, but it often looks like we are the ones under pressure. And when the kick forward finally comes, yes, it more often than not leads to goal from a turn over.
wow, did you watch any of the game yesterday? we were holding onto possession for most of the game, chipping it around before going forward. the opposition only kicked seven goals for the day. so how often could we possibly have turned it over leading to a goal?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Is there ANY way a message could be got out to these imbiciles? Seriousl! It has to stop, I dont go to the footy to cringe at the stupidity of my own teams fans! f****** pathetic. Message on the banner maybe, nah...probably not, but can we do something?