Team against Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Ins
Gardiner
Gilbert
Milne

Out
King
Raph
Geary/Blake
Looks about right to me. Very tough decision if everyone's fit this week. Geary was pretty good against the Roos. Blake hasn't done much wrong. You've got to get Milne and Gilbert in there though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Loyal
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Gardiner
Gilbert
Milne

Out
King
Raph
Geary/Blake
Looks about right to me. Very tough decision if everyone's fit this week. Geary was pretty good against the Roos. Blake hasn't done much wrong. You've got to get Milne and Gilbert in there though.
read my post milne no certainty.

Footy Classified - NO ROOM FOR THE, who farted?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Gardiner
Gilbert
Milne

Out
King
Raph
Geary/Blake
If he doesnt play I will bash his head in.

Loyal
Club Player

not saying he wont play just that he has said he may need the extra week.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:If he doesnt play I will bash his head in.
That's Milne, not Gardiner, right?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
milney044
Club Player

Well he told me he'd be right this week. I guess we'll have to wait and see, it comes down to the docs really.
I hope he plays, he slaughters Carlton :twisted:

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Loyal
Club Player

not saying that he wont play as you say up to the docs really.
if there is any doubt whatsoever he'd be rested into the break.
would be great to see him murder the blues again, but yeah.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: team against Carlton

JABBER wrote:In Gilbert,Gardiner
Out King, R Clarke
Ill play Milney for Sandi first
sandringham does not play until June 21. if Milne is fit he smust be picked.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Probably the most interesting selection the Saints will offer so far this year.

The structure has dictated most of the changes... however, Milne doesn't have a "ready to go" replacement, so we brought in a midfielder - Gram. Gram's dropping was a discipline issue rather than him having any real trouble providing value to the side, so one would think he was safe.

When Gram was dropped the week before, he was replaced by Raph. Ergo, Raph's spot may be pressured by Milne...

However, one would think that (assuming he's fit) Gilbert walks straight into that spot, as it fits for structure, as well as form.

Hudghton came in for Gilbert... however, we'd be wanting to get matches into Hudghton, as despite some here, being longlisted for AA in 2008 after years of taking the best opposition forward would suggest Max would be well within the best 22.

So who goes for Milne?

Gwilt's in the forward line, but performs a very different role. McQualter's role is closer, but wouldn't be performed as well by Milne (and McQualter's form's pretty good)... in fact one could (and I would) argue that since Milne went out, we've been short of exactly what Milne provides (pure crumbing goalkicker), and perhaps we're actually a midfielder in excess.

Which would put Geary under pressure - as harsh as that may seem. Baker's more a backliner, and while neither the North nor Brisbane games were good, he's been a good inclusion for '09, and Betts would seem a natural matchup.

So I'd be guessing:

In's: Gardiner, Gilbert, Milne
Out's: King, Raph, Geary

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Intriguing week, but may be made a little easier by Milne's ongoing absence.

But if Milne is fit, I'm wondering whether Saints might go 2 tall, 3 small up forward on account of Carlton's paucity of quick defenders?

So perhaps Gwilt out, Milne/Eddy in?

McEvoy for King.

Also think Baker's NQR for whatever reason and Raph needs the game time (something he won't get for two weeks if dropped because Sandy aren't playing).

Gilbert for Baker; Raph stays in JUST.

Just a few thoughts.

kaos theory
Club Player

I'd be a little surprised & dissapointed if geary is dropped. I think he is becoming an important midfield link player for us.

I guess its either him or blake, or baker. But baker & blake have different roles, whereas milne taking geary' position is closer to a like for like swap...

So Maxy will get Fev, but with dawson, blake & baker also in the backline, aren't we a little slow?

Interesting to see how we match up once the teams are in...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:I'd be a little surprised & dissapointed if geary is dropped. I think he is becoming an important midfield link player for us.

I guess its either him or blake, or baker. But baker & blake have different roles, whereas milne taking geary' position is closer to a like for like swap...

So Maxy will get Fev, but with dawson, blake & baker also in the backline, aren't we a little slow?

Agree re Geary. Really like a player of his type in there. Brave, hungry, enthusiastic and quick.

bergsone
SS Life Member

kaos theory wrote:I'd be a little surprised & dissapointed if geary is dropped. I think he is becoming an important midfield link player for us.

Agree bout Geary,though I didnt see NM game,reckon he has been good all year,was he that bad last week seems a few want him dropped.maybe Geary--Betts?If Milne comes in that leaves Baker on the outer?But I love the toughtness of Bakes and reckon we will need it .

Hard job this selecting !

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

actually if milney doesn't come up geary might be worth a shot in the goalsneak role. seems to know where the goals are.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Dropping Geary would be a massive mistake imo....

He has shown at times that he is willing to take the game on, and done a few crucial plays that have turned games in our favour...

His burst through a pack and running shot on goal, which he missed, midway in the second quater against the Roos seemed to spark us out of our lethargic play...

Its as if he said, "bugger this, im gonna take them on and have a crack"... After that bit of play, the game changed as the team lifted...

To the top
SS Life Member

From the Round 1 team, Hayes and Max replace Baker and Geary.

And, as an interim measure due to circumstances, Mc Evoy replaces King.

That's where my money would be.

Geary got his chance because Hayes was injured then there were further injuries.

And Max will replace a negating defender, either Blake or Baker and my money is on Baker because of Blake's versatility.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:From the Round 1 team, Hayes and Max replace Baker and Geary.

And, as an interim measure due to circumstances, Mc Evoy replaces King.

That's where my money would be.

Geary got his chance because Hayes was injured then there were further injuries.

And Max will replace a negating defender, either Blake or Baker and my money is on Baker because of Blake's versatility.
so Raph keeps his spot, ahead on Geary, on form??

lefty
Club Player

B: Dawson - Hudghton - Gram
HB: Gilbert - Fisher - Goddard
C: Ray - Ball - Montagna
HF: Dal Santo - Riewoldt - Gwilt
F: Milne - Koschitzke - Schneider
R: Gardiner - Hayes - Jones
INT: - Maguire - Baker - Geary - McQualter

IN: Gardiner, Milne, Gilbert, Maguire
OUT: King, Blake, Clarke, McEvoy

EMG: Armatige, McEvoy, L.Fisher

I thought perhaps Kosi could play as a second ruck and perhaps put Maguire at FF and see what happens? If Kosi is having a bad day up forward, he seems to play well around the ground. I dont think McEvoy is quite there yet imo.

I guess it all depends on matchups. You'd need to line them up side by side. You dont want to have the wrong balance.

We have a good list of players, with no real injuries (touch wood), which is a first in a while. I'd love to see armo in the squad (he should be there), I think mini is keeping him out of the team, likewise Gwilt keeping out Maguire.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Obviously King out & Gardi in .Imo Raph will get a rest to get back some form & Bakes,Blake & Big Mac will get another chance.If Gilbert & Milne are 100% then they will both come back in so the other unlucky player might be Geary . I doubt Milne will play but if he does then as much as I dont want either to miss it will come down Geary or Bakes :cry:

Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Loyal wrote:
If he doesnt play I will bash his head in.
Comedy Gold!! :lol: :lol:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintly
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:B: Dawson - Hudghton - Gram

I thought perhaps Kosi could play as a second ruck and perhaps put Maguire at FF and see what happens? If Kosi is having a bad day up forward, he seems to play well around the ground. I dont think McEvoy is quite there yet imo.

I guess it all depends on matchups. You'd need to line them up side by side. You dont want to have the wrong balance.

We have a good list of players, with no real injuries (touch wood), which is a first in a while. I'd love to see armo in the squad (he should be there), I think mini is keeping him out of the team, likewise Gwilt keeping out Maguire.
the saints had one game where Kosi played in the ruck this year and wdidn't go too well. I would not believe that McEvoy will be out. I think that Ross likes the structure of 2 rucks, and 2 forwards.

saintbob
SS Life Member

lefty wrote:B: Dawson - Hudghton - Gram

Good changes, but I'd drop Mini before Blake.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Asa key frward Kosi has run into the best forward form of his career.

It would be madness to play him in the ruck now.

Besides the Blues defence is undermanneed and the Roo/Kois dua will give them nightmares.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Asa key frward Kosi has run into the best forward form of his career.

It would be madness to play him in the ruck now.

Besides the Blues defence is undermanneed and the Roo/Kois dua will give them nightmares.
agree. our possible second ruck choices with kingy out are now mcevoy, blake, goose and stanley.

someone mentioned dawson as one out of left field yesterday, which was interesting. has a good leap and is a fair size.

our glut of good tall defenders might force us to re-deploy someone in another role to get him into the side somehow and at least we should consider all the possibilities.

we're a very versatile side and can cover most eventualities.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 11 Jun 2009 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Changes for mine would be the same ins as everybody else (pending fitness) of Gilbert, Milne and Gardiner

Obvious first out is King.

Second out is Gwilt, to release Gilbert or S. Fisher as the third tall up forward. Both have been solid at the back but a bigger mobile forward will further test the Blues backline. Gwilt is a big forward, but wouldn't be classed as mobile compared to Gilbert and Chips.

Third is Schneider. Kicked a couple of lucky ones last week, but has barely been sighted in 7 of the last eight quarters (2nd quarter last week being the exception...) Milne is a certain starter if he's right, and i think between McQualter and Geary they can puch deeper to fill the whole of the second small forward.

Baker is quickly becoming a liability, both with his lack of pace, and his lack of a fair go from the umpiring department. He has obviously been pigeon holed by the whistle blowers, and his form doesn't warrant automatic selection. But i don't think this week is right for making the change, perhaps Eddy is waiting in the wings as that small small defender but would be better off coming back in against the Tigers.