Team against Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

James
Club Player

Team against Carlton

They'll be primed to knock off coming off a win.

B: Dawson - Hudghton - Blake
HB: Gilbert - Fisher - Goddard
C: Gram - Ball - Montagna
HF: Dal Santo - Riewoldt - Gwilt
F: Milne - Koschitzke - Schneider
R: Gardiner - Hayes - Jones
INT: McEvoy - Ray - Geary - McQualter

IN: Gilbert, Milne, Gardiner
OUT: King, R. Clarke, Baker

Hayes one on one with Judd, Hudghton gets Fevola, and god help Carlton's backline.

Brendon Goddard - 2012 Premiership Captain
S.A Saint
Club Player

Re: Team against Carlton

James wrote:They'll be primed to knock off coming off a win.

Hayes one on one with Judd, Hudghton gets Fevola, and god help Carlton's backline.

Yep agree with those changes...

if gilbert doesn't get up for this week i would like to see miles given a go instead of clarke because he has been an emergency a number of weeks and has performed solidly in the vfl...

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It seems like treason to drop Bakes, but the game seems like it might have passed him by. In the modern game he's probably only suited to the on-ball tagging role and Jones is doing that brilliantly now, so there's not much of a role for him (unless he's tagging guys out of the game down back, that we're not aware of). Ideally you want the smaller guys down back to be running the lines and attacking heaps and delivering well and long, though, which he isn't doing. It's hard to see them dropping him, though. It would take some guts.

Gilbo in for Raph
Gardi in for King (if suspended, otherwise for Big Mac)
Milne (if fit) in for Blake, Baker, or Schneider

It will hopefully be our best team of the year!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Blues have a small forward called Betts. 25 goals in 10 games.

You might want to have a match up for him.

CJ will be hunting Judd.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
, or Schneider

!
You are joking surely?

Schneider helped to turn the game our way with those 2 goals..and was one of our leading tacklers for the game.

Indeed he is one of leading tacklers period.

Schneider does a lot of hard work...but gains little credit.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 07 Jun 2009 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Milton66
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
, or Schneider

!
You are joiing surely?

Schneider helped to turn the game our way with those 2 goals..and was one of our leading tacklers for the game.

Indeed he is one of leading tacklers period.

Schneider does a lot of hard work...but gains little credit.
Agree 100%

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
goodie
Club Player

'Sif he'd take their side

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Watched Carlton last night. Not the first time this season they'll come off a win thinking their faecal matter is without odour. Fact was the were pretty lucky in the end. I reckon we'll spank em. Their back six are substandard and, frankly, slow, and our forwards are up and about (and Milne is back to take advantage of the spilled contested ball). Fev is always toothless against us, but I don't care if he kicks six because no one else will kick any. Our mids are harder at it and stronger.

I honestly think they'll struggle to get within 40 if we give them a 3-4 quarter effort.

widereceiver
Club Player

Not wishing to sound arrogant but have the Blahs beaten us this century?

CJ should start on Judd I think. Another pretty good game yesterday. Although the papers said Wells was starring in the first half, I must have been at a different game. I thought Simpson was their best mid while they were competitive.

I agree Baker and Clarke are looking vulnerable and could go out this week if Gilbo and Yapper come back.

Where are you Dumpsters calling for Gwilt to be trashed today?

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Statsman
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:The Blues have a small forward called Betts. 25 goals in 10 games.

CJ will be hunting Judd.
Spot on. A backline of Dawson, Hudghton, Blake, Gilbert, Fisher and Goddard is a top heavy. We need a small defender in there to match up on Eddie Betts. Gilbert is flexibility enough to do that job, as was Maxie in the distant past, but I'd want to have Baker up my sleeve for insurance. I'd be keeping Baker over Blake for matchups reasons.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Solar
Saintsational Legend

swap blake for baker who goes to betts and I'm happy with the team

frontal pressure needs to be high as the blues are a confidence team. Their bottom 12 all have question marks over their decision making and disposal. Schneider, milne and mini need to look at 6+ tackles. jamieson will go to kosi you'd think with thorton or grigg taking roo. I like the ideaof running dal or hayes had to head with judd and clamping down on gibbs with CJ.

max gets fev. They will float the irshman and their ruckman down forward and this is who dawson gets. Gilbo gets fisher and needs to work hard rebounding off him. scotland and stevens are giving them decent run off half back so the small forwards and jimmy need to press this as there are opportunities to not only close down their scoring but produce some turnovers in nice scoring positions.

Apart the usual tackles and contested possession I think the focus needs to be on winning the game in the corridor. Going out there to push the oppoisition back and wide but for us to attack through the centre. Lotsof quick handpass running movement would be very good to see.

come to play ad we will put the blues back into their box. shut down fev and they will struggle to kick more then 6 goals IMO

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Id have Gardiner come in but who goes out will depend if King gets suspended or not. If he does then straight swap if not McEvoy has to make way

If Milne is fit (and he would need to be 100% right) I would leave out Geary, based only on experience and development. Geary will get his shot at being a regular senior player but Milne is a better option atm

If Gilbert is fit (and again he would need to be 100%) Raph Clarke needs to make way. With so many options and so many players pressing for inclusion a game where 6 out of 7 touches were clangers can not be tolerated if we intend to remain undefeated and an elite side.

Thats just how I see it. I wouldnt omit anyone at all unless there are injury returns or suspensions. Too many outs may unbalance the side and as far as I am aware Ross has only made forced changes this year.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:as far as I am aware Ross has only made forced changes this year
that's true, but he's also never had three definite starting 22 players to come back in (assuming milne and gilbert are right).

no-one wants to see good players who've been doing their job dropped. but it is a fact of life that some players will be ahead of others.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
With all due respect, that is a really ugly mismatch. Betts would run rings around Blake. Blake wouldn't stop trying, of course, but that contest has something of the elephant and the mouse about it for mine...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Solar wrote:
With all due respect, that is a really ugly mismatch. Betts would run rings around Blake. Blake wouldn't stop trying, of course, but that contest has something of the elephant and the mouse about it for mine...
i think he means baker on betts.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Got ya...Ambiguity...

So now we have the slow mouse on the really fast mouse!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

i agree that Blake should be included as second ruck if King misses - Carlton's strength apart from Fev is their midfield and Blake's mobility could come in handy.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Down back

Gilbert V Betts (Hopefully Gilbo is fit)

Max V Fev

Baker V Carrazzo

Fisher V O'hAilpin

Blake V Fisher

And Zac to play on their other tall which appears to be their resting Ruckman, Hampson or Kreuzer (thats how they were named in the paper against the Lions)

Could be interesting though as Carlton could stretch us if they play more small forwards, for that reason Raph may keep his spot for flexibility.

If they do play small, with say Garlard, it could free up Sam Fisher to do some damage.

In the Midfield, provided we can keep Judd reasonably quiet we should win that battle, so again CJ needs to earn his keep - btw his foot skills have improved significantly. For a while there oppositions wouldn't man him up so we would have to give it to him, but now he hits targets more often than not.

There is another possibilty, that they will rest Judd up forward, as Judd has a height advantage over CJ. Gilbert may need to take him depending on how long he is in their forward line for, which could give CJ the job on Betts.

Up forward I can't see the Blues getting on top of Kosi and Roo, however, we need to apply heavy frontal pressure on Gibbs and Stevens who appear to be playing off half back at times, and Bower who gives them alot of run.

I think we'll see a different St.Kilda this week, we have ourselves a challenge, Carlton think they can win, and everyone else is waiting for us to fall over.

For the past three weeks we have been certainties, our main was concern was just getting through without injuries, this week we've got another top 4 challenger who is apparently coming.

I'd be surprised if we don't win.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Blake could be in a bit of trouble this week - purely for team balance reasons. Just don't reckon we can keep playing Zac, Max and Blake on the same line. The club has a bit of a nice dilemma in that Max and Zac would normally take the same type of player. Max will probably get Fev, but we may need Zac as a back up in case Max finds he's not quite back to his best form yet (which he'll need to be) With Gilbert and Sam Fisher we have an abundance of tall backs. Bakes will be saved by the fact we need some genuine smalls down back. Not as if Bakes has been terrible (imo) His opponent is not dominating, he's just not giving us a lot of attack.

If all our players come up from injury, (and Kingy manages to get off - or doesn't get charged) we're quite possibly looking at our best team this week.

rexy
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:

frontal pressure needs to be high as the blues are a confidence team. Their bottom 12 all have question marks over their decision making and disposal. Schneider, milne and mini need to look at 6+ tackles. jamieson will go to kosi you'd think with thorton or grigg taking roo. I like the ideaof running dal or hayes had to head with judd and clamping down on gibbs with CJ.

max gets fev. They will float the irshman and their ruckman down forward and this is who dawson gets. Gilbo gets fisher and needs to work hard rebounding off him. scotland and stevens are giving them decent run off half back so the small forwards and jimmy need to press this as there are opportunities to not only close down their scoring but produce some turnovers in nice scoring positions.

Apart the usual tackles and contested possession I think the focus needs to be on winning the game in the corridor. Going out there to push the oppoisition back and wide but for us to attack through the centre. Lotsof quick handpass running movement would be very good to see.

come to play ad we will put the blues back into their box. shut down fev and they will struggle to kick more then 6 goals IMO
Good post Solar, spot on IMO. Gram would also be a chance to go head to head with Judd, worked to some effect last year from memory. Judds defensive game is virtually zero and it may be the bit of space Gram needs to get his kicking efficiency up. I beleived that the backline could not involve Blake Max and Dawson but with Gilbert out it was an opportunity to play them all at once. One must go for Gilbert to come back IMO. Dawson was clearly the better of the 3 and max got better as the game went on. Blake was very clumsy again and in my opinion will be the unlucky one.

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:The Blues have a small forward called Betts. 25 goals in 10 games.

CJ will be hunting Judd.
Spot on. A backline of Dawson, Hudghton, Blake, Gilbert, Fisher and Goddard is a top heavy. We need a small defender in there to match up on Eddie Betts. Gilbert is flexibility enough to do that job, as was Maxie in the distant past, but I'd want to have Baker up my sleeve for insurance. I'd be keeping Baker over Blake for matchups reasons.
yep have to agree with that.

Blake very unlucky due to match ups but has to go out.

Baker needs his A game as Betts has kicked the miracle goals against us a few times and can ignite them.

Kosi is a tough one for them.

CJ (gee hes done super well) has the pace and ball finding nous to terrorise Judd....few have the burst speed to stay with him...Jones has.

It will come down to 4 qtr effort - havent seen that for a few weeks....time to send a message with this game IMHO.

Lyon surely will have to (if fit) introduce Gilbert, Milne, Gardiner - its a 16 day break following so another hit out is vital.

Lets load up and smash these turkeys.

“Yeah….nah””
Solar
Saintsational Legend

also want to note that carlton really have only one decient set play off haf back. That is spot kick to the flank, work it out to the 50 then shoot the ball back into gibbs in the corridor. Need tobe awake to that as they require space and speed to spot their forwards.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
To the top
SS Life Member

Do not like the full back line as presented.

Max, Dawson and Blake are all defensive players with minimal rebounding capabilities.

The half back structure of Gilbert, Fisher and Goddard all have attacking flair granted, but we need to spread our defensive 6 so we have that attacking flair also from the last line.

This is where people under estimate the presence of R. Clarke in the structure.

The half back 3 are ok, but we need another tall, running defender to complement the defensive efforts of Max and Dawson (who are the first 2 picked for those important roles).

Dawson? Gee, what a change!

This is where Blake may be in some trouble, as is Baker.

It is all about structure, not names.

And the real positive with structure, for anyone who has read my musings in the past, is that we now have 2 genuine ruckmen and we can play Koschitzke where he can excel - as a forward rotating with Riewoldt.

He was never a ruckman.

He is a forward - and an excellent one up with the best, if not the best, in the business.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Defence is way too tall. Raph played a decent game and will be given time. Baker's performance has been ordinary but may stay for structure. I think Blake should make way for Gilbert and I fear Geary will go out for Milne.

BallBanger
Club Player

Agree precisely with your match-ups eljay...good post