Breaking News: Cousins Receives 1 Year Suspension

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Very predictable outcome IMO by the AFL commission - absolute no-brainer......and absolutely no mention of sanctions against the WCE.

Dimwit and FitzDimwit, FitzCarlton, Fitzwhatever suits him are gutless cowards indeed.

Why did they need 8 hours to decide?

Was it a big key-party?? :roll:

Anyway, back to Cousins.....I don't think he'll be around in a year to participate in the 2008 draft unfortunately.....hope I'm wrong though.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
claystreet wrote:LOL you are clueless wtf
Kevin, you've got a massive job to clean up the mess.

Millions of people still can't read or write, and by my reckoning, it's getting worse.

spare me....fps.... :roll: :roll: :roll: .....kevin can't save his own arse.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sheesh..Benny gets a year off......the biggest left-field shock since Missy Higgins announced "Im not straight" 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Quixote
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:Sheesh..Benny gets a year off......the biggest left-field shock since Missy Higgins announced "Im not straight" 8-)

OOOHHH BOY down come the posters then

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Regardless of what people think personally about Ben, and yes he has brought a lot of this on himself - the fact is that drugs have probably cost him his missus, one of his best mates and now his job. Then add the stifling media who wont let him walk anywhere to contemplate life outside his fishbowl existence. Anyone who has been through sort of drama in in a short space of time will know how difficult it would be for him now to keep his head above water and rise above it without resorting to altering his mind to get away from it all. THE MEDIA NEEDS TO LEAVE HIM THE F%$#@ ALONE!

Yeah he has been an arrogant prick and has caused this to a large degree himself, but fair dinkum the media are hungry for agony and they don't have any concern for his welfare whatsoever - if he topped himself tomorrow, they would make more money from his demise and would laugh all the way to the bank - these immoral MONEY HUNGRY hyenas sicken me.... :evil:

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
Anyway, back to Cousins.....I don't think he'll be around in a year to participate in the 2008 draft unfortunately.....hope I'm wrong though.
:roll: :roll: sometimes i wonder why i bother reading a lot of tghe crap posted on this forum.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Sheesh..Benny gets a year off......the biggest left-field shock since Missy Higgins announced "Im not straight" 8-)
Mmm...But there is more to that announcement...She dosnt say shes lesbian either....

Anyone for Bi?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

he brought it entirely upon himself, and got what he deserved

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i think it's a fair penalty. a year out of the game ... same as what warnie got for using performance-enhancing drugs.

hopefully, like warnie, he's able to learn from his mistakes and will be able to come back for another crack at it. at least that door remains open to him if he's able to kick this horrible addiction.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Self centred wannabe gangsta - he deserves nada - I hope he doesn't make it back :shock:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:Self centred wannabe gangsta - he deserves nada - I hope he doesn't make it back :shock:
Young girl at my hairdressers use to go work stoned. She got the sack. No, take a year off and get your life in order. :roll:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Solar
Saintsational Legend

strange that it took 8 hours to decide on something that 99% of the football community saw coming. It was a no brainer, but I agree wtih those who argue that there are just as many others (players and officials) that have done a lot worse and yet escape the tenticles of the AFL commision.

Can't believe kerr still plays football. I know that if I was caught on tape talking about transporting drugs across the country and stole a doctors prescription pad I would lose my job in an second. Strange. Didak failed to report a serious crime, lied to police and yet escaped any punishment. Pratt is nothing more then a criminal. AFL commisioners have had conflict of interests that had destroyed the money making ability of certain clubs. It's a farce, half of these are either terrible conduct on behalf of the individuals and the rest are bordering on criminal.

Curious about what WCE signed off on when cousins was allowed back this year, I hope this becomes public because at the time the AFL made it specific that the Eagles could lose big time if cousins blew up again. Where does the responsibilities of the club fall? I believe that the eagles have failed many of their players.

Personally if I was with a victorian club I would set him up to play with their VFL affliate, give him support within a new environment, then draft him in 2009 if his health has got better. I agree with the fact that this could be the best thing for him, it's rock bottom. He will have to prove himself again. It will be the hardest time for him but if he starts anew then you never know

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

concur WCE got of lightly, they failed in their duty of care to the AFL and to their player.

further this problem will not go away until the AFL addresses the issues and puts in mechanisms for detection as well as a legitimate plan of penalties and rehabilitation.

continually sweeping things under the carpet till it blows up is a stupid way of managing the situation.

I have little sympathy of cousins, however I have continually said the AFL and the WCE contributed to this situation by the their continued denials, injunctions, inability to tackle the problem.

until the AFL takes this issue seriously we will continue to have situations like this, with rumour innuendo, injunctions, threats etc.

Cousins isn't a victim here, but Dimwit the phukctard definately is an incompetent, backward looking imbecile who should be charged with bringing the whole game of AFL into disrepute, with his bollux interference lack of foresight and a focus on the almight $$ ahead of anything that would put in place a plan to deal with issues in clubs.

as for the pratt issue, demetriou is too much of an ass licking coward pathetic bully boy and pratt is bigger than him so dimwit wont challenge him. Dimwit has shown he is gutless and cowardly when dealing with pratt and eddie, and frankly even butterss and GT in their time handed demetriou his ass.

demetriou gutlessly and cowardly attacked st kilda through the back door.

Further IMO demetriou fears men and women with more power and frankly more popularity than him. like any pathetic bully boy, he can't stand on his own feet.

true self made men and women and industry leaders intimidate demetriou as you can see by his reaction to butterss, pratt, eddie and others.

weak as piss dog turd who puts his own job and income ahead of the good of the game, while jacking up his own overblown overpaid position while surrounding himself with stooges.

demetriou is a failure as the leader of the AFL and must in part take blame for the cousins saga. IF instead of burying his head in the sand addressed the issue 12 months ago or early when information was available regarding some players, this could have been effectively nipped in the bud.

My understanding is that a methamphetamine use is basically a 3 month suspension as well as revocation of results, which is probably appropriate to the level of assistance it gives.

instead by burying its head in the sand, saying there is no problem and slamming injunctions around, IMO cousins and others probably felt 1. they wouldn't get caugh, and 2. even if they were caught the AFL would protect them, and frankly that is possibly the feeling of other players, given the joke of a testing regime, and the lack of depth in the testing regime.

cousins pushed the envelope and the AFL/WCE did nothing about it, just slammed injunction after injunction with the complicity of much of WA and their hero worship of footballers.

IMO if the issue was addressed when it was apparent instead of letting it reach this point it would have better for cousins, WCE, football and the rest of the league.

instead the message is 1. dont get caught, 2. don't make an ass of yourself and you can do whatever you like, just don't let folks find out.

demetriou wake up you dopey prick.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Well said Dan Warna, there are a lot more culpable people within the AFL as well as those dealing with the AFL and it is now up to the media to turn the blow torch on them. To hound them, to shame them. If the media don't have the balls to tackle the big boys then their like will continue to ruin the AFL 100 fold more than one drug addicted player.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Interesting rant, Dan.

Now...can anyone forsee there's a legal standpoint for which the AFL can take to get rid of Pratt? Did the price-fixing cartel amount to something that breaches AFL rules?

I have to say I'm not sure there's much the AFL can do. I fear this will be the case and the prick will stay.

Maybe stinger or Riewoldt, our resident BLH, may have a better idea.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Interesting rant, Dan.

Now...can anyone forsee there's a legal standpoint for which the AFL can take to get rid of Pratt? Did the price-fixing cartel amount to something that breaches AFL rules?

I have to say I'm not sure there's much the AFL can do. I fear this will be the case and the prick will stay.

Maybe stinger or Riewoldt, our resident BLH, may have a better idea.
not sure everton, but I concur with J.boy's comments to some degree.

Pratt has been found guilty of an offense and copped one of the biggest, if not the biggest fine in corporate history.

while he is a brilliant businessman, hasn't he brought carlton and thus the AFL into some disrepute by his criminal behaviour?

isn't he a corporate cheat?

oh wait a minute, its carlton, and its mandatory to be a crook there :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:Pratt has been found guilty of an offense and copped one of the biggest, if not the biggest fine in corporate history.

while he is a brilliant businessman, hasn't he brought carlton and thus the AFL into some disrepute by his criminal behaviour?
Well I suppose so; after all, what did Cousins get convicted of?

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

To bring the AFL brand "into disrepute" you would have to be instrinsically associated with the AFL as an individual - i.e. be a player, coach or work for the AFL itself.

Pratt is first and foremost chairman of Visy and known as "one of Australia's wealthiest men".

His association with the AFL is not a major one, and nor is it what he is known for in the community.

Furthermore, his actions with Visy occurred prior to him being in some way a part of the AFL "industry" - i.e. before he became President of Carlton.

By that extension, if I am convicted for assault tomorrow, it would be bringing the game into disrepute if I were to become a director of St Kilda in two years time.

Does anyone seriously think the brand of the AFL has been tarnished by Pratt's actions? Has it affected your perception of the AFL brand (not the people who run the AFL, but the brand)?

No doubt Pratt's actions were serious, but they took place prior to his involvement with the AFL and he is not involved foremost with the AFL anyway - you do not associate Richard Pratt with the "AFL".

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:To bring the AFL brand "into disrepute" you would have to be instrinsically associated with the AFL as an individual - i.e. be a player, coach or work for the AFL itself.

Pratt is first and foremost chairman of Visy and known as "one of Australia's wealthiest men".

His association with the AFL is not a major one, and nor is it what he is known for in the community.

Furthermore, his actions with Visy occurred prior to him being in some way a part of the AFL "industry" - i.e. before he became President of Carlton.

By that extension, if I am convicted for assault tomorrow, it would be bringing the game into disrepute if I were to become a director of St Kilda in two years time.

Does anyone seriously think the brand of the AFL has been tarnished by Pratt's actions? Has it affected your perception of the AFL brand (not the people who run the AFL, but the brand)?

No doubt Pratt's actions were serious, but they took place prior to his involvement with the AFL and he is not involved foremost with the AFL anyway - you do not associate Richard Pratt with the "AFL".
exactly the reason Pratt gets away with his crimes is the fact hes not an employee of the AFL
Ben being a player is held under the "players" conduct code same as the coaches are under the coaches conduct code where things such as talking about umpires is not allowed
to my knowllege there is no such presidents conduct code in place in the afl cause as we so oppenly said when RB wanted the AFL to step in with his failed attempt to regain his pres. the AFL has nothing to do with the board level of any club

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
asiu

demetriou gutlessly and cowardly attacked st kilda through the back door.
agreed

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Think about the billions of tons of cardboard used by the AFL and it's suppliers every year.

Won't have they illegally overcharged companies like Spotless Catering - owned by that great AFL (pfft - try Essendon) man Ron Evans - millions of dollars, thus passing on substantial price increases to AFL consumers?

Just a thought.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pratt is far far worse than Ben....

But for lax laws in Aust Pratt should in jail.

His crime was not one of a momentary lapse.....but was a considered, calculated and sustained theft of money from virtually every Australian over an extended period of time.

Furthermore his theft was not fuelled by need or even weakness but by greed.

He was already extremely wealthy with a cosey duopoly.

This is his character....make no mistake....

The same fellow also runs a mistress complete with child......

I fail to see how anyone can believe how having Pratt as a Club President is not bringing the game into disrepute.

Allowing him to continue in the role is endorsing his shameful actions.

Remember that this guy has been proven to be Australia's biggest corporate criminal ever.... this is not someone who hada moment of weakness and then acted opun it. This is someone that treated EVERYONE in Australia with contempt and organised his affairs to steal from every man, woman and child in Australia....and did so with full knowledge that he was acting illegally.

The only reason that he is remaining as the Blues President is that he is bankrolling the Blues at present complete with buying sponsors for them like Vodafone.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Pratt is far far worse than Ben....

But for lax laws in Aust Pratt should in jail.

His crime was not one of a momentary lapse.....but was a considered, calculated and sustained theft of money from virtually every Australian over an extended period of time.

Furthermore his theft was not fuelled by need or even weakness but by greed.

He was already extremely wealthy with a cosey duopoly.

This is his character....make no mistake....

The same fellow also runs a mistress complete with child......

I fail to see how anyone can believe how having Pratt as a Club President is not bringing the game into disrepute.

Allowing him to continue in the role is endorsing his shameful actions.

Remember that this guy has been proven to be Australia's biggest corpoporate criminal ever.... this is not someone who hada moment of weakness and then acted opun it. This is someone that treated EVERYONE in Australia with contempt and organised his affairs to steal from every man, woman and child in Australia....and did so with full knowledge that he was acting illegally.

The only reason that he is remaining as the Blues President is that he is bankrolling the Blues at present complete with buying sponosrs for them like Vodafone.
prats crime is worse then bens yes but pratt is not an employee of the AFL he recives no wage from them so how could they enforce rules on some one whos not part of them ??
if anything Pratt brings carltons brand into disrupute but not the "GAME"

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
His association with the AFL is not a major one,

As President of an AFL club how can his role not be a major one?

As President of Carlton he is the head of the Blues.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
prats crime is worse then bens yes but pratt is not an employee of the AFL he recives no wage from them so how could they enforce rules on some one whos not part of them ??
if anything Pratt brings carltons brand into disrupute but not the "GAME"
Would not Cousin's salary have come from an AFL club and notthe AFL.....

Pratt is a Director of an AFL Club...

The fact that one is paid and the other not I do not think is relevant.

What is perhaps relevant is that Pratt's sins were committed prior to his becoming President.

However in my view his sins were so gross that even a $38 million fine should not expunge them completely. His character remains stained....and the AFL should not tolerate any Club President with sucha tainted record.

AFL Clubs basically signed away complete control to the AFL on it's formation...whether this is enough for then to act I do not know.

What I do know is that Blues fans have happily sold their souls to the Devil.