malthouse on illicit drugs......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mullet
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:less than one urine test per annum per person and that in the most stringest year of testing is really stamping out the problem ><

the dumbasses are the ones who get caught.

really. :roll:

amphetamines are a stimulant and facilitate performance short term.

by example the USAF issue them to their pilots because the benifits they believe out weight the risks.
Testing is going up to 1500 next season. They are trying to do something about it. It may not be enough but it is more than any other sport in Australia do.
pretty sure athletics get tested randomly during meets and all finalists get tested at the major meets.

and their earning power is not that great either.

Yes they do but they dont get tested for recreational drugs out of competition which the AFL players do. By the way airline pilots only get tested before flying. No one knocks on their door and asks for a sample 5 days before flying and they are looking after people lives.
With athletics it is always in season when you are an elite australian athlete. Because the overseas athletics season is during our off season and our athletes need to compete on a world scale (world aths championships on now) our athletes are always tested.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Dan Warna wrote:less than one urine test per annum per person and that in the most stringest year of testing is really stamping out the problem ><
Except that in addition to the testing to which you refer, purely aimed at illicit drugs, there is match day testing. Match day testing is going to find amphetimines or other accelerants as well... while there are limits to what this can deal with (I believe EPO for example would not show up on a urine test, it would require a blood test), the majority or amphetimines, meth-amphetimines or substances that have been around for a while.

The concern would be that one could use (for example) speed, which the system processes quickly to increase cardio and endurance by using it to increase training capability, and get stronger/fitter without being caught for a banned substance on match day.

I tend to think that with statements such as this someone like Malthouse, who is intelligent if of the wrong generation to have come across these things himself, is deliberate obfuscation - a deliberate attempt to simplify a complex issue to "drugs are bad", to which there can be a vigorous nodding of heads rather than a long discussion of the many shades of grey social drug issues go hand in hand with.

I'd certainly have found ridiculous if an athlete were to try and claim they weren't doing drugs such as ecstacy and ice for fun, they were doing them for a professional advantage.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

the dumbasses are the ones who get caught.

really. :roll:

amphetamines are a stimulant and facilitate performance short term.

by example the USAF issue them to their pilots because the benifits they believe out weight the risks.
Testing is going up to 1500 next season. They are trying to do something about it. It may not be enough but it is more than any other sport in Australia do.
pretty sure athletics get tested randomly during meets and all finalists get tested at the major meets.

and their earning power is not that great either.

Yes they do but they dont get tested for recreational drugs out of competition which the AFL players do. By the way airline pilots only get tested before flying. No one knocks on their door and asks for a sample 5 days before flying and they are looking after people lives.
With athletics it is always in season when you are an elite australian athlete. Because the overseas athletics season is during our off season and our athletes need to compete on a world scale (world aths championships on now) our athletes are always tested.
In season means the day of competition so any other day is out of season and they are not tested for recreational drugs.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

You tell 'em, Mick!

We're all on your side... well atleast tonight we are and hopefully never again afterwards 8-)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Total Awareness
Club Player

There is no doubt drugs like coke, speed and ice are performance enhancing, just watch a raver with no fitness level whatsoever dance for 8 hours straight like a maniac without stopping once :D .
If you watch the footage of Ben Cousins on the podium after the GF last year, I swear he was flying. I even said at the time that cousins looked like he was on something....

congorozides
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Wasn't there scuttlebut about the "pumped" WCE teams who won the flag in 92 and 94?

Mabye the drug culture was there under a previous coach?

Who knows?
It was more than Scuttlebutt. The Eagles weights coach was none other than Matt Barber. Infamous athletics coach who coached Dean Capobianco, Paul Henderson and a host of other Perth fliers back in the 90's. Matt was a knowledgable coach (and pizza eater) but was known for his like of getting a little bit of a helping hand from the chemist!

Read this article.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... m=storyrhs

Total Awareness
Club Player

Isn't john Worsfold a Chemist? :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Total Awareness wrote:There is no doubt drugs like coke, speed and ice are performance enhancing, just watch a raver with no fitness level whatsoever dance for 8 hours straight like a maniac without stopping once :D .
If you watch the footage of Ben Cousins on the podium after the GF last year, I swear he was flying. I even said at the time that cousins looked like he was on something....

Yes and on match day they are treated as performance enhancing on other days they are treated as recreational drugs which is correct. Not getting into the Ben Cousins other than to say he was tested 14 times all negitve and some of those on match day.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

My understanding of testing procedures is that the sample is tested for a particular drug. So, when the drug agency is testing for performance enhancing drugs such as steroids, the testing will not pick up anything like cocaine or amphetamines. The test has to be specifically geared toward picking up a specific compound.

This being the case, Ben Cousins could have been tested many times during the season for the typical performance enhancing drugs, but these tests would not have picked up any cocaine or amphetamines in his system.

Don't for one minutes think that cocaine and amphetamines are not performance enhancing.

I would be interested in the testing process. Does the player go into a room by himself? There have been cases where athletes have stored 'clean' urine and squeezed the stuff into the sample jar and then handed it to the testing agent. Sounds farfetched? Maybe, maybe not.

I also have read that the AFL has NEVER tested for EPO. If true, that is just amazing. I have had my suspicions about the use of EPO going back to the 2000 season when a particuler team displayed superhuman endurance across its entire playing list that outstripped every othe team in the competition.

We all have no faith in the tribunal system. we should have equal cynicism about the AFL's drug policy and it's ability to police the use of drugs

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Wasn't there scuttlebut about the "pumped" WCE teams who won the flag in 92 and 94?

Mabye the drug culture was there under a previous coach?

Who knows?
It was more than Scuttlebutt. The Eagles weights coach was none other than Matt Barber. Infamous athletics coach who coached Dean Capobianco, Paul Henderson and a host of other Perth fliers back in the 90's. Matt was a knowledgable coach (and pizza eater) but was known for his like of getting a little bit of a helping hand from the chemist!

Read this article.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/ ... m=storyrhs

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

In season means the day of competition so any other day is out of season and they are not tested for recreational drugs.[/quote]

You are so wrong, Athletes are tested on competition day, at training, at home, at work. They must provide their whereabouts and are only allowed 3 misses. A miss is not being where you are supposed to be as per your whereabouts declaration. If you are not say at training when you say you are normally they phone you and give you a time limit to get there. See how invasive drug testing can be. I have seen the testers arrive at a melbourne athletics track 4 times in 2 weeks. So you are wrong about in season meaning the day of competition, as I said elite track and field athletes are never out of season.

It is not necessarily so that only the place getters are tested. A random drug test on competition days may mean that before the meeting starts they have already decided to test the person who comes 2nd in the 800 metres. There is alot involved in the testing process and it aint a 9 to 5 job

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:In season means the day of competition so any other day is out of season and they are not tested for recreational drugs.
You are so wrong, Athletes are tested on competition day, at training, at home, at work. They must provide their whereabouts and are only allowed 3 misses. A miss is not being where you are supposed to be as per your whereabouts declaration. If you are not say at training when you say you are normally they phone you and give you a time limit to get there. See how invasive drug testing can be. I have seen the testers arrive at a melbourne athletics track 4 times in 2 weeks. So you are wrong about in season meaning the day of competition, as I said elite track and field athletes are never out of season.

It is not necessarily so that only the place getters are tested. A random drug test on competition days may mean that before the meeting starts they have already decided to test the person who comes 2nd in the 800 metres. There is alot involved in the testing process and it aint a 9 to 5 job[/quote]

Sorry but you are wrong. We are talking recreational ddrugs and they are only tested on race day not on the off season. They test fir performance enhacing on the other days bt not recreational which the AFL do.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mullet wrote:In season means the day of competition so any other day is out of season and they are not tested for recreational drugs.

It is not necessarily so that only the place getters are tested. A random drug test on competition days may mean that before the meeting starts they have already decided to test the person who comes 2nd in the 800 metres. There is alot involved in the testing process and it aint a 9 to 5 job
Sorry but you are wrong. We are talking recreational ddrugs and they are only tested on race day not on the off season. They test fir performance enhacing on the other days bt not recreational which the AFL do.[/

You have no idea

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sorry but you are wrong. We are talking recreational ddrugs and they are only tested on race day not on the off season. They test fir performance enhacing on the other days bt not recreational which the AFL do.[/

You have no idea
Well WADA must be wrong because sorry that is what they do. I will rely on them over you.