malthouse on illicit drugs......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

malthouse on illicit drugs......

of course they are performance enhancing.....

...from todays age.....

"Malthouse swipes at Cousins

Martin Boulton | August 31, 2007

COLLINGWOOD coach Mick Malthouse has taken a swipe at Eagle Ben Cousins, suggesting his performances were enhanced last year by his drug-taking.

Malthouse said Cousins, who made a successful return to the field six weeks ago, had made "no denial of what he's taken" since entering a drug rehabilitation program in the US.

Cousins was suspended by the club in March before being treated for his problem, believed to be addiction to the methamphetamine known as "crystal meth" or "ice".

"Just look at these drugs that (some) in the general community unfortunately have been involved in and the recorded Ben Cousins incident," Malthouse said.

"Read the chemical make-up of those and see what effect it has on the body — don't tell me it's not performance enhancing."

West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett told The Age he was unfazed by Malthouse's reference to Cousins, saying "he'd have to be a little more specific" before commenting.

"Most people bring Ben's name up in some discussion when the drug issue comes up, so it doesn't surprise me," Nisbett said.

Malthouse said he was "no Robinson Crusoe" in believing illicit drugs could produce performance-enhancing benefits. "I'm concerned, but I can't do much about it," he said. "It's up to the AFL and it's up to the law-enforcement agencies that police this."

Speaking at his news conference yesterday, Malthouse said the performance-enhancing aspects of illicit drug use had been overlooked in the current dispute between the players' association and Channel Seven.

He said he was not bound by the players' decision to refuse interviews and would answer questions from Channel Seven reporters as part of tonight's broadcast from Telstra Dome.

Malthouse supports the players' decision to take a stand against Seven, but says he's worried drug use among players and the potential benefits of illicit drugs have been sidelined by the controversy.

"It (the dispute between Seven and the players) is a small play in a major event and the major event is drug taking," he said yesterday.

"The headlines are about a spat between Seven and the players' group, but let's not camouflage the root of all problems, it's the drug-taking."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

What a disappointment, Stinger. I thought from the title you had given the thread we finally had an explanation for why MM has been able to stand coaching at Club Eddie for so long!! :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
GrumpyOne

And the award for the most misleading thread title goes to........... :)

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

GrumpyOne wrote:And the award for the most misleading thread title goes to........... :)
Me thought that too, although in sure hes on angry pills

Before Im 85
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Mick Malthouse - at last someone willing to say it as it is

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

yep amphetamines and other stimulants (such as cocaine) are banned worldwide in sports because they are performance-enhancing.

good on mick for saying publicly what many on here have been saying for a while.

sort of cheapens the eagles' premiership imo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:yep amphetamines and other stimulants (such as cocaine) are banned worldwide in sports because they are performance-enhancing.

good on mick for saying publicly what many on here have been saying for a while.

sort of cheapens the eagles' premiership imo.
That is not true. They are only banned on match day. Other sports apart from the AFL dont even test for them out of competition.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't there scuttlebut about the "pumped" WCE teams who won the flag in 92 and 94?

Mabye the drug culture was there under a previous coach?

Who knows?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:yep amphetamines and other stimulants (such as cocaine) are banned worldwide in sports because they are performance-enhancing.
That is not true. They are only banned on match day. Other sports apart from the AFL dont even test for them out of competition.
which bit isn't true? amphetamines and other stimulants (such as cocaine) are banned worldwide in sports because they are performance-enhancing

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
which bit isn't true? amphetamines and other stimulants (such as cocaine) are banned worldwide in sports because they are performance-enhancing
They are banned because they are illegal but not because they are performance enhamcing. As I said they are not even tested for so they may be banned but you cant get caught using unless on game day. the AFL tests out of competition.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:They are banned because they are illegal but not because they are performance enhamcing.
so you'd be okay if a horse doped up with speed or some other stimulant won the melbourne cup?

they are performance enhancing.

GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
They are banned because they are illegal but not because they are performance enhamcing. As I said they are not even tested for so they may be banned but you cant get caught using unless on game day. the AFL tests out of competition.
My Pocket Oxford defines stimulant as a substance that enhances bodily or mental activity.

Sounds like they could enhance performance to me. :?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:They are banned because they are illegal but not because they are performance enhamcing.
so you'd be okay if a horse doped up with speed or some other stimulant won the melbourne cup?

they are performance enhancing.
They are performance enhancing on match day. Not on Saturday night a week before the game. It is not me saying this it is WADA. I think they may know more than me and you.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:They are performance enhancing on match day.
exactly. that is the worry

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:They are performance enhancing on match day.
exactly. that is the worry
But no one in 3 years has tested positive to using on match day. I doubt many if any use on match day. They would after the game but not before because you get suspended for 2 years.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:But no one in 3 years has tested positive to using on match day. I doubt many if any use on match day. They would after the game but not before because you get suspended for 2 years.
sometimes cousins and a few of his mates play like supermen with supreme confidence and almost superhuman endurance. you could be forgiven for having suspicions ... given his admissions. i'm glad malthouse has finally voiced the concerns that many share

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:But no one in 3 years has tested positive to using on match day. I doubt many if any use on match day. They would after the game but not before because you get suspended for 2 years.
sometimes cousins and a few of his mates play like supermen with supreme confidence and almost superhuman endurance. you could be forgiven for having suspicions ... given his admissions. i'm glad malthouse has finally voiced the concerns that many share
Cousins plays like that every week so does that mean he has a pill before every game. Doubt that very much especially since he has passed game day testing.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

less than one urine test per annum per person and that in the most stringest year of testing is really stamping out the problem ><

the dumbasses are the ones who get caught.

really. :roll:

amphetamines are a stimulant and facilitate performance short term.

by example the USAF issue them to their pilots because the benifits they believe out weight the risks.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:less than one urine test per annum per person and that in the most stringest year of testing is really stamping out the problem ><

by example the USAF issue them to their pilots because the benifits they believe out weight the risks.
Testing is going up to 1500 next season. They are trying to do something about it. It may not be enough but it is more than any other sport in Australia do.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Cousins plays like that every week so does that mean he has a pill before every game.
he is a wonderful player even without the benefits that amphetamines provide. increased confidence, endurance, concentration and risk-taking.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:less than one urine test per annum per person and that in the most stringest year of testing is really stamping out the problem ><

Testing is going up to 1500 next season. They are trying to do something about it. It may not be enough but it is more than any other sport in Australia do.
pretty sure athletics get tested randomly during meets and all finalists get tested at the major meets.

and their earning power is not that great either.

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

pretty sure athletics get tested randomly during meets and all finalists get tested at the major meets.

Yes they do but they dont get tested for recreational drugs out of competition which the AFL players do. By the way airline pilots only get tested before flying. No one knocks on their door and asks for a sample 5 days before flying and they are looking after people lives.

GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote: By the way airline pilots only get tested before flying. No one knocks on their door and asks for a sample 5 days before flying and they are looking after people lives.
I know an airline pilot who was tested whilst flying. The dead give-away was that he was nowhere near an airplane at the time. :lol: :roll:

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes they do but they dont get tested for recreational drugs out of competition which the AFL players do. By the way airline pilots only get tested before flying. No one knocks on their door and asks for a sample 5 days before flying and they are looking after people lives.
so how does this change the issue that 1. the testing is inadequate, 2. we have verbal evidence and circumstantial evidence and confessions that players consumed drugs during the season?

as for footballers, we have to decide whether they are athletes and thus play on a level playing field with regards to the varioius athletic codes or they are entertainers such as WWE and free for all for drugs, at which point they can be replicated during all codes which take their lead from teh AFL.

SHUT UP KRIME!
congorozides
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

No way. Craig Mottram gets tested about 20 times per year. The Brisbane broncos have 500 tests for 25 players. So The AFL averegaes less than 1 test per player per year.

I still think the AFL is right to protect the players medical records. Thats not about drugs its about the privacy between DR and patient that goes back to Ancient Greece and the Hippocratic oath.