Saints Academy gears up for big 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWiki
Club Player

Re: Saints Academy gears up for big 2023

saynta wrote: Tue 27 Dec 2022 2:28pm I post threads on here for information and for supporters enjoyment. To see one such thread turn to s*** is really disappointing.

I may not start new threads in future.
Keep posting these saynta - some of us like to read the Op's - and in my case I usually follow the comments until the childish squabbles and ego's saturate the thread and then simply move on. :mrgreen:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 01 Jan 2023 8:50am
saynta wrote: Tue 27 Dec 2022 2:28pm I post threads on here for information and for supporters enjoyment. To see one such thread turn to s*** is really disappointing.

I may not start new threads in future.
Keep posting these saynta - some of us like to read the Op's - and in my case I usually follow the comments until the childish squabbles and ego's saturate the thread and then simply move on. :mrgreen:
Thanks mate.

It is posers like you that make this forum worthwhile visiting.

I should heed my dear mothers advice which was. " Don't let the bed bugs bite." :wink:

Freebird
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 31 Dec 2022 12:36pm
Freebird wrote: Sat 31 Dec 2022 11:51am Go somewhere else with your tugging

Any information on any potential coming through the academy
Yeah, couple of potential father/son selections. Spider's and Frankie Peckett's boys.
Thanks Saynta

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 31 Dec 2022 4:18pm Given the new rules
An academy is almost a waste of money
At best you get a late third rounder or Cat B rookie
The odds of them becoming any good is very low
Windhager - luck he had a back injury
Owens - under new rules wouldn’t have been eligible to us
McKenzie - we helped develop him, to be drafted to Hawthorn
You are right its disappointing the AFL changed the rules just as we were reaping some benefits. McKenzie may have benefited from the academy, but top 10 kids generally get to those levels through their own drive and talent. I dont know how much it costs the club, but Im thinking bigger picture with these kids. The club has formed a really close relationship with the Sandringham Dragons who have around 6-8 kids drafted each year. Just think if we can attract some of those kids back home to the bayside area at a later time because of the foundations we have built over time. In a similiar fashion to Geelong with their pull to get players to their club.

In the interim I am happy with players like Windhager, Owens, McLennan and Peris. Granted McLennan & Peris they are not top 10 picks but if we can keep finding/developing 1 or 2 of these types, plus father sons when available we will be better for it. I really like what the club are doing with the academy and have faith over time it will produce more players than what we are seeing.

The other thing it does is give our development coaches like Dal a chance to hone their skills and build relationships. Plus think of the families of the kids that go through the academy that become long term Saints supporters/members as a result. The academy has the capacity to develop a lot more than what we see just on draft day.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Sun 01 Jan 2023 12:58pm
saynta wrote: Sat 31 Dec 2022 12:36pm
Freebird wrote: Sat 31 Dec 2022 11:51am Go somewhere else with your tugging

Any information on any potential coming through the academy
Yeah, couple of potential father/son selections. Spider's and Frankie Peckett's boys.
Thanks Saynta
No worries.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 01 Jan 2023 1:18pm
B.M wrote: Sat 31 Dec 2022 4:18pm Given the new rules
An academy is almost a waste of money
At best you get a late third rounder or Cat B rookie
The odds of them becoming any good is very low
Windhager - luck he had a back injury
Owens - under new rules wouldn’t have been eligible to us
McKenzie - we helped develop him, to be drafted to Hawthorn
You are right its disappointing the AFL changed the rules just as we were reaping some benefits. McKenzie may have benefited from the academy, but top 10 kids generally get to those levels through their own drive and talent. I dont know how much it costs the club, but Im thinking bigger picture with these kids. The club has formed a really close relationship with the Sandringham Dragons who have around 6-8 kids drafted each year. Just think if we can attract some of those kids back home to the bayside area at a later time because of the foundations we have built over time. In a similiar fashion to Geelong with their pull to get players to their club.

In the interim I am happy with players like Windhager, Owens, McLennan and Peris. Granted McLennan & Peris they are not top 10 picks but if we can keep finding/developing 1 or 2 of these types, plus father sons when available we will be better for it. I really like what the club are doing with the academy and have faith over time it will produce more players than what we are seeing.

The other thing it does is give our development coaches like Dal a chance to hone their skills and build relationships. Plus think of the families of the kids that go through the academy that become long term Saints supporters/members as a result. The academy has the capacity to develop a lot more than what we see just on draft day.
I ha ve a feeling from something said that the club is lobbying to have the rules relaxed

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Port developed Keeler for us, they didn't even nominate him.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’d be interesting to find out why

I think the had a free swing at him chose not to take him

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 01 Jan 2023 9:02pm It’d be interesting to find out why

Oh it was Adelaide. Hmmmm. Tex factor maybe? He'd almost have been recruited to replace him you'd imagine. Maybe not.

But, the raps coming from North Adelaide U/18's were highly skilled, athletic and plenty of x-factor. He worked hard to gain a consistent spot and displayed match winning ability in a semi final and average 18 disposals in the ruck, with Ryderesque impact in the ruck.

The areas needing work were consistency and contested marking.
Sounds more like a midfielder than a forward but he moves like buddy, who still needs to improve his contested marks but does ok.

Could be anything this kid. 198cm 89kg 3sec 20m, huge leap 60 + metre kick. I guess we will find out.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I was perusing the forums at the time

Work ethic was a recurring thing but I think the big one was actually that they just didn’t think he was that good in any one area

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 02 Jan 2023 1:02am

Work ethic was a recurring thing but I think the big one was actually that they just didn’t think he was that good in any one area
These types of forum? Like the Crows page that melted down when he slipped to us.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think Port fans freaked out too. Those two groups are the ones that follow the SANFL under 18's.

Here's what his actual coaches had to say.

https://sanfl.com.au/draft-pick/isaac-keeler/

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good numbers at u18 level - still miffed as to why both SA clubs overlooked him?!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 02 Jan 2023 2:00pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 02 Jan 2023 1:02am

These types of forum? Like the Crows page that melted down when he slipped to us.
I think I read the crows one on BF.

I read a lot more rationalising than I did freaking out. Consensus with the crowd was that they had every opportunity to get him if they wanted and let the picks go by

I mean Adelaide had the pick literally before we got him and went in a different direction and Port has an opportunity to nab 6-7 picks before that.