Saints Academy gears up for big 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Academy gears up for big 2023

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Mon 26 Dec 2022 12:38pm
Bernard Shakey wrote: Mon 26 Dec 2022 11:44am
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Mon 26 Dec 2022 11:36am "Do you have the same issues with us drafting Windhager, Owens, Peris or McClennan through the same male program?" Really! Fact check that .You bring these names up proves the fact things happen naturely
You have no idea what you're talking about!
Yes it must of been hall on earth for Owens and Windghager growing up in the houseing estates of Sandringham , Dad was on the dole and the piss and Mum was working the cr and all the kids had to play with was a plastic football.But thank goodness for the policies of the St Kilda football club that gave them a go that they would never have got normally, but thats not what happen both of them came up though the system.Sport in its basic form is about and should always be is the skill of the individual not the colour of your skin so to make up for real or imaged sins of the past dont commit the same now. Lose the 2022 "woke" terms and get us back too our core and that is we are a Football club
Okay, I just read the whole thread including the above post. "...to make up for real or imagined sins of the past don't commit the same now..."

Sebastian, are you equating the genocide of indigenous people with perceived preferential treatment in gaining entrance to a football program? And that establishing a program to provide a pathway for indigenous / multicultural people is "woke"?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 27 Dec 2022 11:02am
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Mon 26 Dec 2022 12:38pm
Bernard Shakey wrote: Mon 26 Dec 2022 11:44am
Sebastian Tombs wrote: Mon 26 Dec 2022 11:36am "Do you have the same issues with us drafting Windhager, Owens, Peris or McClennan through the same male program?" Really! Fact check that .You bring these names up proves the fact things happen naturely
You have no idea what you're talking about!
Yes it must of been hall on earth for Owens and Windghager growing up in the houseing estates of Sandringham , Dad was on the dole and the piss and Mum was working the cr and all the kids had to play with was a plastic football.But thank goodness for the policies of the St Kilda football club that gave them a go that they would never have got normally, but thats not what happen both of them came up though the system.Sport in its basic form is about and should always be is the skill of the individual not the colour of your skin so to make up for real or imaged sins of the past dont commit the same now. Lose the 2022 "woke" terms and get us back too our core and that is we are a Football club
Okay, I just read the whole thread including the above post. "...to make up for real or imagined sins of the past don't commit the same now..."

Sebastian, are you equating the genocide of indigenous people with perceived preferential treatment in gaining entrance to a football program? And that establishing a program to provide a pathway for indigenous / multicultural people is "woke"?
I’m not advocating for a ban at all - let me be clear on that point.

That is how I interpreted it hence my reply

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I post threads on here for information and for supporters enjoyment. To see one such thread turn to s*** is really disappointing.

I may not start new threads in future.

Templar
Club Player

If the word wog is allowed to be used freely on this forum one would assume the words nigger, abo, chink etc are also permitted? Thanks for any clarification.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
diddley
Club Player

Templar wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 11:22pm If the word is allowed to be used freely on this forum one would assume the words etc are also permitted? Thanks for any clarification.
No it doesn’t make it ok. I do see the point you are trying to make, but it is never ok. The point you made could also be done without using the words so easily associated with hate.
And I would appreciate if you would edit your comment to not have those words please.

happy feet
Club Player

diddley wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 8:02am
Templar wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 11:22pm If the word is allowed to be used freely on this forum one would assume the words etc are also permitted? Thanks for any clarification.
No it doesn’t make it ok. I do see the point you are trying to make, but it is never ok. The point you made could also be done without using the words so easily associated with hate.
And I would appreciate if you would edit your comment to not have those words please.
Spot only Didley.

Never ok.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 11:22pm If the word wog is allowed to be used freely on this forum one would assume the words nigger, abo, chink etc are also permitted? Thanks for any clarification.
NO...Never OK.

Templar
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 12:41pm
Templar wrote: Wed 28 Dec 2022 11:22pm If the word wog is allowed to be used freely on this forum one would assume the words nigger, abo, chink etc are also permitted? Thanks for any clarification.
NO...Never OK.
So was that an accidental "like" from you for the post in this thread that featured one of these derogatory slang words? Just asking for further clarity.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 3:29pm
saynta wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 12:41pm
NO...Never OK.
So was that an accidental "like" from you for the post in this thread that featured one of these derogatory slang words? Just asking for further clarity.
Not into clarifications FFS. 8-) :roll:

Especially at the request of someone like you, who posted the offensive words in this thread describing people of colour, which one hoped would never be seen in print in this day and age.

Templar
Club Player

Thanks saynta

So I understand from you that some of these derogatory slang words are OK to be freely used on this forum and can even be endorsed (liked) but other derogatory slang words should be strictly avoided.

I appreciate the honest response.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year everyone :D

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 5:04pm Merry Xmas & Happy New Year everyone :D
:lol:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 5:04pm Merry Xmas & Happy New Year everyone :D
Here's back at you mate. :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Thu 29 Dec 2022 4:02pm Thanks saynta

So I understand from you that some of these derogatory slang words are OK to be freely used on this forum and can even be endorsed (liked) but other derogatory slang words should be strictly avoided.

NO. No you can't .None of those words are acceptable in todays world.

Stop trying to smear me.

Templar
Club Player

Am just wondering why you liked the post in this thread which features one of these derogatory slang words four times. That is all. Must be a slip up? Happens.

Why do some of these words appear to be acceptable here (to some people) and other racial hate words are not?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 12:09pm Am just wondering why you liked the post in this thread which features one of these derogatory slang words four times. That is all. Must be a slip up? Happens.

Why do some of these words appear to be acceptable here (to some people) and other racial hate words are not?
I’ll take the blame. Thought I was back in 1990. My post with the video of Anthony Koutoufides was an attempt at humour. saynta and I got a laugh out of the video and certainly NOT out of using the derogatory word

As per the article below, the times have changed. The article is a few years old but it’s pertinent for what we perceive as acceptable in today’s society. Apologies again for using derogatory words in my earlier post

Back in the late ‘80’s and early 1990’s there where a lot of 2nd generation European Australians making a name for themselves on the comedy scene in Australia. Remember Effie from Acropolis Now and Nick Giannopoulos from the ‘Wog Boy’ movies?

Then Greek comedians, who had been subject to the racism and discrimination of the word, decided to turn the tables and embrace the positives of ‘wog culture’.

In the context of the 90s, where multiculturalism was still finding its feet, turning the joke on ourselves was seen as an admirable act of rebellion and a progressive response to the discrimination that European migrants had been shamed for. Greek culture was reintroduced and popularised through comedy, which led to many opportunities for Greece and its culture.

All of a sudden, being a ‘wog’ made you part of a stereotype that was normalised by popular humour that everybody found entertaining

The term ‘wog’ was integrated into Australian culture as a derogatory way to distinguish Mediterranean and European migrants from the ‘White Australia’ culture that had already been established.

In British culture, the term ‘wog’ is considered highly politically incorrect as it seeks its origins from the ‘golliwog’ rag doll – a highly controversial and racist doll from the 1970s.

https://greekherald.com.au/lifestyle/en ... g-in-2019/

Templar
Club Player

Just to add, for what it is worth, it is well documented in literature from the early 1900s and beyond that the "w" word was used interchangeably with the "n" word by the British in African colonies. I find it paradoxical that some people find one of the words acceptable and the other not.

One can't imagine many Australians, if any, referring an African/American basketballer using one of these words, however we just saw a BF repost by someone called George where he refers to a current St Kilda player using the "w" word...

Perhaps another demonstration of how Australia is often in lockstep with American norms.

Appreciate the discussion. Respect.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 1:51pm Just to add, for what it is worth, it is well documented in literature from the early 1900s and beyond that the "w" word was used interchangeably with the "n" word by the British in African colonies. I find it paradoxical that some people find one of the words acceptable and the other not.

One can't imagine many Australians, if any, referring an African/American basketballer using one of these words, however we just saw a BF repost by someone called George where he refers to a current St Kilda player using the "w" word...

Perhaps another demonstration of how Australia is often in lockstep with American norms.

Appreciate the discussion. Respect.
That will teach you for going on a s*** forum. :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Fri 30 Dec 2022 12:09pm Am just wondering why you liked the post in this thread which features one of these derogatory slang words four times. That is all. Must be a slip up? Happens.

Me thinks you may have caught out the true Saynta..
Merry Xmas !!

“Yeah….nah””
Templar
Club Player

Now your trolling Teflon. Don't f*** around.

Peace out.

Freebird
Club Player

Go somewhere else with your tugging

Any information on any potential coming through the academy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Sat 31 Dec 2022 11:51am Go somewhere else with your tugging

Any information on any potential coming through the academy
Yeah, couple of potential father/son selections. Spider's and Frankie Peckett's boys.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I used the word wog. If it offended you, then I'm sorry.
If you think the context in which it was used was derogatory, then I'm also sorry.
If you think my use of the word, permits others to use the word, then I'd like to disassociate myself from that notion.
Id assume most of us are rational adults and can overcome the ignorance of other having an effect on our judgements.
I attempted humour.
Clearly, Templar wasnt amused but I think most and our friends ST, got what I was trying to do.
However, Templar was intelligent enough to offer the use of other words, as an example.

Templar, you do know you can use any words you like, don't you?

You can also apply any context you like.

Personally, I'll back my character as a whole to be judged before the random use of a shock tactic. And by the way, my dad is dead. He doesn't use the word wog any more.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Given the new rules

An academy is almost a waste of money

At best you get a late third rounder or Cat B rookie

The odds of them becoming any good is very low

Windhager - luck he had a back injury

Owens - under new rules wouldn’t have been eligible to us

McKenzie - we helped develop him, to be drafted to Hawthorn

guitars4
Club Player