St Kilda. Why so quiet?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda. Why so quiet?

Daniel Talia

100%

What’s the risk?!

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 9:09pm Daniel Talia

100%

What’s the risk?!
Having a player that we pay that does not play due to injuries. Why are Adelaide happy to let him walk?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
BadRossco
Club Player

Of course we can’t do much in the trade period, no players have nominated the Saints and in any case we don’t have the draft picks or salary cap room to deal for anyone but fringe players. Billings and Ross may have provided both draft picks and cap space but both stayed, possibly on less money, because no other clubs were interested in them. So we need to use first draft pick wisely and hopefully pick up a couple of NGA’s. We can also look to the pre season, supplementary and mid season to fill any gaps.

BadRossco
Club Player

Of course we can’t do much in the trade period, no players have nominated the Saints and in any case we don’t have the draft picks or salary cap room to deal for anyone but fringe players. Billings and Ross may have provided both draft picks and cap space but both stayed, possibly on less money, because no other clubs were interested in them. So we need to use first draft pick wisely and hopefully pick up a couple of NGA’s. We can also look to the pre season, supplementary and mid season to fill any gaps.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Quite happy to keep our powder dry. Nothing worse than spending a ton of $$$ because we couldn't entice the players we wanted, just so we could say we were active & a "destination club". Glad we have been a bit smarter, just hoping that means we actually have a plan.

2021: Pick 9 (11) plus Windhager, Owens & another kid (KPB)?

2022: Full array of picks / Salary Cap smarts = BING or FA / RFA

Vazelos
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 10:30am damienc Im sorry but I believe thats a really short sighted outlook. You couldnt have chosen a worse club than Carlton's to highlight the clubs trading record. They have taken to the trade table most years and where has that got them? Granted Cerra will be a good player, but previous years they have traded in far too many GOP players on ridiculous money. As a result they will struggle to pay Walsh the right money in next years contract deal.

In recent times Hannebrey is our failed trade, but only because his body was shot and he couldnt get on the park. Hill still has plenty of football ahead of him so keep your powder dry on him, but he came 5th in our B&F so he had a reasonable year.

You only have to look at recent history as to where most of the core of the premiership team players come from. Most are from the draft/s and they have filled their gaps with trades as required. Because of the poor state of our list over the Elshaugh/Bains era we had to trade in leadership & quality to assist with the development of our younger group. Then basically rebuild again, which they are doing now.

So in short its a balacing act and going to the draft this year is exactly the right call. If they can pick up 3 x future midfielders and a key position defender they would have excelled. Remember we are still to trade in Xerri a backup ruckman and it wouldnt surprise if the club had a state league key defender in mind to pick up as a SSP. I also believe Gallagher is setting up the TPP to include Ben King to the list next year.

IMO the club has never been in better hands or shape (off field) and they are slowly gathering the pieces to have a realistic tilt at a premiership in a couple of years. Stay the course and our we will taste sucess, you only have to look at Melbourne this year.
Brilliantly summarised and accurate I agree with your analysis.
The problem with list management is it isn’t a straight line upward curve and if you don’t hold your nerves and try do too much too quick you will fail to reach the highest ceiling required to win a premiership.
You can’t fill all the holes in one hit you have to be patient.
We do have brilliant operators working the recruiting.
This summer we are nailing our midfield with 3 picks.
Pick 9 and our 2 NGA boys in Windhager and Owens.
We need speed and class and this is the draft to nail the right players that we have not found since the debacle of missing out on Petracca.
Next year we are blessed with the opportunity to unite Ben King with his brother we rarely have an elite talent of that scarce type of player want to come to our club and we have to take it.
The non finals participation in 2021 has been tempered with the fact we have found the following players-
Sharman Highmore Connolly Bytel and Byrnes.
5 excellent finds plus Higgins coming in as a trade makes it 6!.
All of them I believe will be excellent players.
Sinclair taking his game to another level and Max King showing he will be super player everything we hoped he will be has given me great confidence going forward.
The previous year we traded in some excellent players -
Howard Jones Hill Butler Ryder.
It’s been a bog 2 years.
Throw in Paton and Gresham healthy again and a fitter team with Clark Coffield and our younger boys improving i am bullish about the future .

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 6:49am Another trade period is about to disappear without so much as a squeak from our footy club.

In fact the only thing of note which barely qualifies as a thing of note is a pick swap.

Should we be concerned? The answer to that depends on how you view our current list.

Is our list good enough to win a premiership?  Because if it isn't you do something about it or should.

Maybe behind the scenes St Kilda has been trying to improve the list in this trade period.

If they have it hasn't worked. Our net gain appears to be a fairly obscure ruckman from a club that won this year's wooden spoon. And at this stage that trade is still up in the air.

What I find particularly unnerving is that at least three of our players appeared to be up for the taking except there were no takers.

And the one guy who did leave as an unrestricted free agent was taken on a contract so paltry we received nothing by way of compensation. Nothing.

So none of the other clubs seem to want players our club regards as surplus to need and at the same time we are not a destination club for talented footballers wanting to move clubs.

I look at us compared to a club like Carlton who  like us  is struggling to succeed. They are always active in the trade period. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't but at least they try to make something happen.

This year, Carlton will emerge as a big winner in this trade period. They managed to secure some serious talent to their footy club. In fact, if you look at their best 22 including the new recruits it's pretty frightening especially their midfield.

Our club's history is littered with poor decision making. Poor administrators, poor recruiters. We let players go that we shouldn't and recruited players that were total duds.

A couple of years ago we aggressively tackled the trade and recruited some big names on even bigger salaries. Everyone here knows who they are.

Did they live up to their reputations? Did they truly earn their massive pay checks? I think we all know the answer to both questions. And it's one of the main reasons why 2021 was so disappointing.

Which brings me back to our  current list. We badly need our young players to step up. Clark, Coffield, Bytel, Byrnes, Connelly, Sharman, Highmore. Some of them did in 2021 but we need them to step up even more in 2022. A non negotiable fact. Disturbingly some of them went backwards in 2021 such as Clark and Coffield.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

There is an  element of this kind of thinking in our footy club.

So now our best and only hope of getting fresh talent for 2022 is to look to this year's draft.

There is not one supporter at this footy club that does not want success.

But we can't keep living on hope.

An active trade period is a sign that a footy club is trying to take a path in the right direction towards success.

I'm disappointed we let this one pass without firing a shot.
I understand you’re frustration; however, the Carlton comparison is quite laughable. Have a look at their past 15 years of trade periods, it’s shocking how terrible their recruiting has been for such a sustained period and of time. I’d also argue they will be substantial losers in this trade period as well. What they gave up for Cerra is way overs.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Adelaide are happy for Lynch and Talia to walk because they are rebuilding

Pretty obvious I would have thought

happy feet
Club Player

Pretty obvious to me is that we don't need another ageing player with injury woes.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
happy feet
Club Player

Pretty obvious to me is that we don't need another ageing player with injury woes.

older saint
SS Life Member

The Lack of salary cap growth , which 2 years ago was anticipated , has seen a very quiet trade period across the board. Clubs have seen what Collingwood did and last years result and are fearful of this as increases in salary cap may be a few years away.

We have little room at this point I believe , however potentially with some contracts ending in 2022 this position is likely to change and I expect we may see a push in 2022 for a big name recruit ( many believe and want to be B King, i personally would prefer a gun mid but agree if king says he wants to come you have to make it work).

Not many fringe players in contract are moving as the lack of footy will most likely see little contribution from drafted first year players in 2022 ( the elite excluded which we dont have access to at 9 , which will be 11).

Battle, Long, Lonie will not get you much return as they are fringe players and every club already have those types.

Perhaps we get this back up ruck from north for a 2022 4th round pick with a swap along the way but that's is about it, if not Hunter re signs for 1 year.

I think it is sensible with the circumstances and puts the pressure on the club and the individuals to develop - Clarke, Coffield, Brynes, Connolly, King, Bytel, Paton, Allison, - we need at least 3 to go to another be that pushing A grade (Clarke, King, Coffield) or becoming a regular best 22 ( rest) .

Sanctorum
Club Player

As a supporter of a club that finished bottom 8 it is quite understandable that some will feel dispirited when the club seems to be sitting on its hands rather than going all out, like Carlton, to bring some gun players to St Kilda.

My analysis is that 2021 was a season where St Kilda under-achieved, which was entirely due to a number of key players being unavailable in the first half of the season due to injury and compassionate leave - the current list in fact is pretty good and providing the selectors can get the best 22 on the park I have every confidence that they'll do a lot better in 2022.

Bringing in the best available player at 11 in the draft, plus Windhager and Owens, who both have genuine pace, from the club's NGA, coupled with mid-season draftee Max Heath, who is a future gun ruckman, I believe the list is in excellent shape!

I take with a grain of salt what most commentators in the media, especially FoxFooty, have to say about St Kilda - they're paid to stir up trouble and sensationalise their reviews of clubs and players, so in effect their observations are lacking in objectivity, unworthy and a blight on their profession!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 12:18pm
I take with a grain of salt what most commentators in the media, especially FoxFooty, have to say about St Kilda - they're paid to stir up trouble and saintsationalise their reviews of clubs and players, so in effect their observations are lacking in objectivity, unworthy and a blight on their profession!
FTFY

Saintsationalise - the act of taking half truths / beliefs and statistics and assuming that they are the be all and end all of any discussion and that any deviation from said belief is a personal attack/affront and must be dealt with to the full extent of Internet wrath including but not limited to:
- name calling
- ridicule
- continuous stalking
- denegration

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How do we know Talia is not over his injury from last season

Injuries happen to AFL footballers

He is a dual AA full back - he is only 29

Has missed a year through injury.

We took on Michael Gardner for a pick in the 40s off field dramas, injury concerns and 29yo
First two seasons he played 3 games! Then played 50
Was he a waste of a pick?

We need a FB IMO

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 1:42pm ….

We need a FB IMO

Could Joyce step up into the role of a key brute defender?

Is he mobile enough? He looks very solid like he can hold his feet.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 2:35pm
B.M wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 1:42pm ….

We need a FB IMO

Could Joyce step up into the role of a key brute defender?

Is he mobile enough? He looks very solid like he can hold his feet.
Currently plays as a floater back and generally away from the contest.
Not being able to punch from behind or stick with players on the lead could be a problem

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I worry that there must be more to Talia being delisted, whether it is personal, physical or mental I don't know. I say this because there appears to be a few clubs in need of a big key back, including a defeated Grand Finalist, yet crickets in terms of interest.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It's been reported Talia doesn't want to leave South Australia, that may well be accurate.

If the Power doesn't want him, that may be it for his AFL career.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 8:48pm It's been reported Talia doesn't want to leave South Australia, that may well be accurate.

Did someone say his wife has a high paid job in Radelaide?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 9:21pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 8:48pm It's been reported Talia doesn't want to leave South Australia, that may well be accurate.

Yes, i think they said she is a highly paid Rolicitor.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 9:52pm

Burgoyne was called 'Silk' as well :mrgreen:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 10:01pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 10 Oct 2021 9:52pm

Burgoyne was called 'Silk' as well :mrgreen:
It's all very legalese over there. :lol:

repta
Club Player

I hope the saints have a plan.
They need to decide whether it is a sugar hit or try for long term success.
- Premierships are not 'won' in a year.
It is a long process. It is extremely rare that a team comes from outside the 8 to play in the Prelim. Melbourne are the exception (although they played Prelim in 2018).
The Grand Finals have been dominated in the last 20 years by dynasties (or mini periods of sustained success) - Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane, Sydney, West Coast

Even Stkilda 2004-2011.

Build a core. Get them to grow with the team. Build a culture. You cant buy one.

Not use up high draft picks on 28-30 year olds past their prime and starting to become injury prone. Or stunt the growth of young players with list cloggers (which Stkilda many).

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 8:41am If we end up with pick 11, Owens and Windhager we have done well.
Would have liked to have got Ladhams if possible but with no second round pick and none of our RFA leaving and getting us compo we haven't got much to offer.
Battle and Long remain the only possibilities for someone action.
I think this is right on the money. We have little draft capital; trade bait and salary cap room it would appear (although maybe we're banking some this year for Bing).

Ideally, I'd love us to have got Ladhams - he'd be perfect as a long term 1-2 punch with Marshall. But his back-ended contract has cooked that for a lot of clubs (and our usual lack of a 2nd round pick).

The other one is Daniel Talia. Surely with our undersized defence he'd be a more than able support to Howard et al (at no draft cost) for a year or two.

Either a very good mid or KPD with pick 11 and hope like hell our 2 x NGA kids are there after pick 20 and that'll be ok.

I'm actually more excited by the fact that we now have a dedicated, specialist full time development coach in Damien Carroll on board. At least we now know that whatever kids we drat will be PROPERLY developed.

Go you red, black & white warriors
asiu
Saintsational Legend

when the kite was flown on the boys from port

whatever came of the Clurey suggestion ?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/28/ ... acted-pair

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.