St Kilda. Why so quiet?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

St Kilda. Why so quiet?

Another trade period is about to disappear without so much as a squeak from our footy club.

In fact the only thing of note which barely qualifies as a thing of note is a pick swap.

Should we be concerned? The answer to that depends on how you view our current list.

Is our list good enough to win a premiership?  Because if it isn't you do something about it or should.

Maybe behind the scenes St Kilda has been trying to improve the list in this trade period.

If they have it hasn't worked. Our net gain appears to be a fairly obscure ruckman from a club that won this year's wooden spoon. And at this stage that trade is still up in the air.

What I find particularly unnerving is that at least three of our players appeared to be up for the taking except there were no takers.

And the one guy who did leave as an unrestricted free agent was taken on a contract so paltry we received nothing by way of compensation. Nothing.

So none of the other clubs seem to want players our club regards as surplus to need and at the same time we are not a destination club for talented footballers wanting to move clubs.

I look at us compared to a club like Carlton who  like us  is struggling to succeed. They are always active in the trade period. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't but at least they try to make something happen.

This year, Carlton will emerge as a big winner in this trade period. They managed to secure some serious talent to their footy club. In fact, if you look at their best 22 including the new recruits it's pretty frightening especially their midfield.

Our club's history is littered with poor decision making. Poor administrators, poor recruiters. We let players go that we shouldn't and recruited players that were total duds.

A couple of years ago we aggressively tackled the trade and recruited some big names on even bigger salaries. Everyone here knows who they are.

Did they live up to their reputations? Did they truly earn their massive pay checks? I think we all know the answer to both questions. And it's one of the main reasons why 2021 was so disappointing.

Which brings me back to our  current list. We badly need our young players to step up. Clark, Coffield, Bytel, Byrnes, Connelly, Sharman, Highmore. Some of them did in 2021 but we need them to step up even more in 2022. A non negotiable fact. Disturbingly some of them went backwards in 2021 such as Clark and Coffield.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

There is an  element of this kind of thinking in our footy club.

So now our best and only hope of getting fresh talent for 2022 is to look to this year's draft.

There is not one supporter at this footy club that does not want success.

But we can't keep living on hope.

An active trade period is a sign that a footy club is trying to take a path in the right direction towards success.

I'm disappointed we let this one pass without firing a shot.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: St Kilda. Why so quiet?

I think it is largely a good thing. We've gone hard multiple years in a row now, now is an appropriate time to take a breath, draft some young talent and pick up a few depth players in key areas.(ruck/kpd)

Compare us to Carlton if they go past us, I'm happy to have a sizable bet they won't.

Fringe players open to leaving- who cares. Our best players all stayed with minimal fuss- our retention is actually one of the things that gives me confidence we are on the right track.

We're a team that should finish 4th to 8th next year. Then I'd expect us to be more aggressive in filling gaps for 2023.

Things we need to see major improvement next year.

*Improvement in 2020 breakout players who went backwards this year (not uncommon for young players)

*A good run with injuries

*a big preseason

*a better draw

*luck

All are possible and imo should at the very least be better than 2021.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 6:49am Another trade period is about to disappear without so much as a squeak from our footy club.

I'm disappointed we let this one pass without firing a shot.
Who do you think we should have gone hard for??
nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 7:15am I think it is largely a good thing. We've gone hard multiple years in a row now, now is an appropriate time to take a breath, draft some young talent and pick up a few depth players in key areas.(ruck/kpd)

Compare us to Carlton if they go past us, I'm happy to have a sizable bet they won't.

Fringe players open to leaving- who cares. Our best players all stayed with minimal fuss- our retention is actually one of the things that gives me confidence we are on the right track.

We're a team that should finish 4th to 8th next year. Then I'd expect us to be more aggressive in filling gaps for 2023.

Things we need to see major improvement next year.

*Improvement in 2020 breakout players who went backwards this year (not uncommon for young players)

*A good run with injuries

*a big preseason

*a better draw

*luck

All are possible and imo should at the very least be better than 2021.
I see the start of 2021 as the outlier - Paddy was not available (in freak circumstances) we had a lot of injuries - and we inexplicably laid down in a few games - and yet - at the end of the season we were thereabouts.

I see 2022 as being closer to 2020 form - and with Captain Jack marshalling the troops - I would rather that we maintain the rage with the players who are on board and say farewell to those who aren't.

Bring on 2022 - I am sure that the Club knows what is needed better than us.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The trade period isn't over yet. And as for the club not doing much, I think the past four years of drafting and trading has seen the club not exactly sitting on its hands. In that times we've brought in 18 senior players. If you compare that to the same time frame starting from 2009, you'll see that we've done so much better. I wouldn't be kicking our club for bringing in the following players over a four year period

B: Paton Howard Wilkie
HB: Coffield Highmore Connolly
C: Hill Crouch Clark
HF: Higgins Sharman Byrnes
F: Butler King Hannebery

R: Ryder Jones Bytel

It's impossible to do a huge swag of trades every year. It's not possible to have the currency to do that, so some years you have to go to the draft.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 7:50am The trade period isn't over yet. And as for the club not doing much, I think the past four years of drafting and trading has seen the club not exactly sitting on its hands. In that times we've brought in 18 senior players. If you compare that to the same time frame starting from 2009, you'll see that we've done so much better. I wouldn't be kicking our club for bringing in the following players over a four year period

It's impossible to do a huge swag of trades every year. It's not possible to have the currency to do that, so some years you have to go to the draft.
And I must add - I am hoping that most of those players will be part of our next Premiership Defense

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

If we end up with pick 11, Owens and Windhager we have done well.
Would have liked to have got Ladhams if possible but with no second round pick and none of our RFA leaving and getting us compo we haven't got much to offer.
Battle and Long remain the only possibilities for someone action.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha

thats the second time i've read this
... . part of our next Premiership Defense
positiveness is positive

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
seano1
Club Player

A lot of young blokes get second year blues as they are still getting used to what’s required of them . Some guys maybe be playing in different possies from where they spent their junior careers so they have to get their head around that . As for trading i think our club might be believing in some guys ability and other clubs see those guys for their real worth…..bit like buying a car or house it’s only worth what someone will pay

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

damienc Im sorry but I believe thats a really short sighted outlook. You couldnt have chosen a worse club than Carlton's to highlight the clubs trading record. They have taken to the trade table most years and where has that got them? Granted Cerra will be a good player, but previous years they have traded in far too many GOP players on ridiculous money. As a result they will struggle to pay Walsh the right money in next years contract deal.

In recent times Hannebrey is our failed trade, but only because his body was shot and he couldnt get on the park. Hill still has plenty of football ahead of him so keep your powder dry on him, but he came 5th in our B&F so he had a reasonable year.

You only have to look at recent history as to where most of the core of the premiership team players come from. Most are from the draft/s and they have filled their gaps with trades as required. Because of the poor state of our list over the Elshaugh/Bains era we had to trade in leadership & quality to assist with the development of our younger group. Then basically rebuild again, which they are doing now.

So in short its a balacing act and going to the draft this year is exactly the right call. If they can pick up 3 x future midfielders and a key position defender they would have excelled. Remember we are still to trade in Xerri a backup ruckman and it wouldnt surprise if the club had a state league key defender in mind to pick up as a SSP. I also believe Gallagher is setting up the TPP to include Ben King to the list next year.

IMO the club has never been in better hands or shape (off field) and they are slowly gathering the pieces to have a realistic tilt at a premiership in a couple of years. Stay the course and our we will taste sucess, you only have to look at Melbourne this year.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 9:56am haha

thats the second time i've read this
... . part of our next Premiership Defense
positiveness is positive
The other time was my writing as well - I am sick of begging for the next - I want it to be a foregone conclusion

2022 Bumper - Preparing for Our Premiership Defense

― Aristophanes

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

- Mediocre player leaves Crows for Lions to add to its mediocre bottom tier that were not up to finals;
- Mediocre largely untried hyphenated name fringe player with record of stupidity and disciplinary action leaves Tigers for bottom club;
- Professional Footballer that strangely enough can't kick or remember what side of the ground he was told to play leaves for side giddy with success as a late 20s something project player/charity act;
- Some Suns player no one has heard of and can't get a game moves to Freo for sfa;
- 32yo injury plagued defender from wooden spooner North moves to Richmond which has run out of defenders over 5'10" to resurrect career;
- Hawthorn offer up all players over 30 but can't move any of them. A tribute to their loyalty to soon to be super coach Mitchell says Jeff.
- Carlton give up pick 6 in an excellent draft year for an emerging player that is homesick and will play for home cooked meals. Freo v. happy. Recruiter reminded Blues already have Walsh and Cripps.
- Saints show confidence in a very good list and keep their focus, stay professional, stay quiet, wait for the prize.

News report from David Fatso-Verboso: Saints are not fun any more because they are acting so professionally clever, used to always be able to rely on them doing something we could ridicule. Must can them for being quiet, we can't let this behaviour become the norm. Come on Saints just one more broken down hack, one more unskilled journeyman, please - otherwise I might have to report on my club that came last. Or Hawthorn and Dunstall will have me.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Just hope we have not been shamed by the media after taking a pummeling for recruiting Hanners and Hill and losing Hind, and Hickey etc.,

We don’t want BJ asked on SEN about our latest misadventures in the recruiting department!

O’Meara might be a good pickup. But perhaps three clubs is one too many?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 1:00pm - Mediocre player leaves Crows for Lions to add to its mediocre bottom tier that were not up to finals;
- Mediocre largely untried hyphenated name fringe player with record of stupidity and disciplinary action leaves Tigers for bottom club;
- Professional Footballer that strangely enough can't kick or remember what side of the ground he was told to play leaves for side giddy with success as a late 20s something project player/charity act;
- Some Suns player no one has heard of and can't get a game moves to Freo for sfa;
- 32yo injury plagued defender from wooden spooner North moves to Richmond which has run out of defenders over 5'10" to resurrect career;
- Hawthorn offer up all players over 30 but can't move any of them. A tribute to their loyalty to soon to be super coach Mitchell says Jeff.
- Carlton give up pick 6 in an excellent draft year for an emerging player that is homesick and will play for home cooked meals. Freo v. happy. Recruiter reminded Blues already have Walsh and Cripps.
- Saints show confidence in a very good list and keep their focus, stay professional, stay quiet, wait for the prize.

News report from David Fatso-Verboso: Saints are not fun any more because they are acting so professionally clever, used to always be able to rely on them doing something we could ridicule. Must can them for being quiet, we can't let this behaviour become the norm. Come on Saints just one more broken down hack, one more unskilled journeyman, please - otherwise I might have to report on my club that came last. Or Hawthorn and Dunstall will have me.
Love reading your posts.

damienc
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 1:00pm - Mediocre player leaves Crows for Lions to add to its mediocre bottom tier that were not up to finals;

Waiting for the prize? What prize would that be? Asking for a friend.

damienc
Club Player

damienc wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 2:01pm

Waiting for the prize? What prize would that be? Asking for a friend.
Let me guess. Our prized 11 draft pick. Plus our two academy kids if we manage to secure them. Problem solved. Clearly i was worried about nothing at all.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

When there isn't much movement in a market what does that signify?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 2:41pm When there isn't much movement in a market what does that signify?
The bear's copulating with the bull.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Great post Yorkeys
The shock is that we are acting like grown ups.
We have had a very active few trade periods, and now we know when hold 'em.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Quiet!?
Thank f@ck for that!

We are the <edited by mods> of the AFL.

A few hits on rare occasions but generally trade off talent or picks for numb nuts.

I love the AFL Article where we feature more than any club for tossing Lynch, Cripps, Hind and as a walk off... Bruce got away in return for zero.
Hind was the worst case scenario in 2020, imagine having him ready to slot in for Ben Paton...he wanted a long contract and Gallagher told him early before the season ended it wasn't going to happen...I wonder why? What amazeballs halfback did we have that was so essential to StKilda we'd toss away a speedy, clever effective half back to the Dopers so he could kick ass there????

In just the last 2 years we've had a few wins and a few bad losses...

2020:
Last year we were NOISY in trade season...I think we have a decent player in Higgins & Crouch... McKernan is bagged heavy on here but he's just a bloke waiting for a mate....no harm no foul. I'm glad he's gone.

2019:
The year before we did ok with Ryder ( not a premium return but pretty decent). Hill is well publicised on here as we gave away everything for Nada. Butler, Jones have both been extremely hot and cold at best. Howard was the big win, Bruce was a big loss he would've been exactly what Max needed in support down back...I reckon we would have seen a massive acceleration of Max's development had Bruce been down there...

So I'm pretty happy it's quiet. We had a few wins in 2019/2020 with some huge losses. I'm grateful Gallagher isn't playing blind man's poker with our future in 2022....yet.

Gallagher isn't quiet because he's clever or we're pros at the trade game...the AA players on offer in trade are going for way more than we can afford...we don't have any draft capital ( unless we use futures) and we don't have salary cap to waste...so when your wallets empty you go home and play kick the kick against the face fence....

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

That said I have absolutely no idea who we should trade for and no crystal ball will ever give any recruitment team a guarantee.

The only reason I bitch n moan is because I'm a miserable bastard who hasn't seen a Grand Final win since forever....

I'm hoping we pluck a flipping gem for draft pick....unless we trade it to GC for a certain bloke

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 7:50am The trade period isn't over yet. And as for the club not doing much, I think the past four years of drafting and trading has seen the club not exactly sitting on its hands. In that times we've brought in 18 senior players. If you compare that to the same time frame starting from 2009, you'll see that we've done so much better. I wouldn't be kicking our club for bringing in the following players over a four year period

Agree with you. To me it's healthier to be making less trades and more long term targeted ones.
If the Xerri trade happens and he emerges as a good player and Heath steps up, then our ruck stocks could be sorted for the next ten years. RoMa, Heath and Xerri - nice age separation between them and the two new boys have another year at least to develop with Paddy as the group leader.

We need a new CHB, but way better IMO to wait or be looking at someone under the radar or young than going for someone like Talia. We have a history of recruiting older injury prone players. It's occasionally worked for us - i.e Michael Gardner - but it's never a long term strategy and more often than not sucks the juice out of our team by having chronically injured players on the list. Usually a total waste of time IMO. Maybe the club thinks it can land Ben King and play him as a KPD.

One more KPD and another high quality mid - and maybe that player is already on our list - and our list begins to look solid. Let's also hope the NGA boys can deliver. Better to wait and find the right player/s than go blowing our powder on an at best speculative injury prone player who promises heaps based on reputation but actually delivers sfa - Dan Hannebery come on down.

Good too that we're not - so far - spending our future picks. Can't recall exactly off the top of my head, but it seems like we've not had a live second rounder for quite some time.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Key position players are so hard to find, especially the really tall ones. Carlton did well to pick up a 200cm defender from The Bulldogs. He was just about the only one I would have been interested in. The issue this year is we have no leverage/currency, and most of what's on offer is pretty much from the bargain bin at the $2 Shop. No point trading for the sake of it. If there's someone the club has had their eye on, then go for it. Otherwise stick with what you've got until the right player becomes available. We made that mistake with Logan Austin (by listening to Alan Richardson) . We coughed up too much and it hurt us in the draft. Right now, we'll have to depend on Highmore or Battle to fill that key defender role.

My guess is that Xerri is probably the only player on our radar. He's obviously better than Hunter, otherwise we wouldn't have bothered.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We aren’t a top 4 team

We need to get there, you need to continually draft, trade and lure free agents.

Must get better

We only got better in 2020 because we were bold

Always be bold - but not reckless

Can’t forego the draft just to trade
Can’t forego trading and just draft
Must take advantage of free agents

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 6:46pm We aren’t a top 4 team

We need to get there, you need to continually draft, trade and lure free agents.

Must get better

Who of the F.A's would you pickup?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 6:58pm
B.M wrote: Sat 09 Oct 2021 6:46pm We aren’t a top 4 team

Must get better

Who of the F.A's would you pickup?
That’s a bit specific ....when you’re used to dealing in cliches..

“Yeah….nah””