F@ck Hannebery

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

Re: F@ck Hannebery

Recruiting Hannaz is arguably the only mistake Lethlean appears to have made since coming to Moorabbin. Hannaz will go down as our worst trade since Lovett.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 3:59pm Recruiting Hannaz is arguably the only mistake Lethlean appears to have made since coming to Moorabbin. Hannaz will go down as our worst trade since Lovett.
Give it a year. We may be adding Hill, Ryder, Butler, Jones, and more to that list.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Best part is most of youse were twisting your nipples off after the 2019 trade period....

I recall specifically a few of you saying exactly what's here.....https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 0033d2ac29

Now we've lost a few youre so keen to eat a bag of d1cks... and wash its down with the finest Japanese sookie la la.....enjoy!

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 5:05pm
outside66 wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 3:59pm Recruiting Hannaz is arguably the only mistake Lethlean appears to have made since coming to Moorabbin. Hannaz will go down as our worst trade since Lovett.
Give it a year. We may be adding Hill, Ryder, Butler, Jones, and more to that list.
Why wait a year for Hill.
I'm calling it now. :twisted:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I enjoyed our 2019 trade period, I enjoyed watching us in 2020. I have not enjoyed watching the past two weeks and a side without Marshall & Ryder.

I agree with the sentiments of the OP, nothing about how we came to have Hannebery on our list made sense. He was not to blame for our past fortnight's performance but his presence (salary / contract) likely cost us Treloar.

I wanted Bailey Smith but I'm glad we got Max King. I just want him to look more like Ben King than Joe Daniher. Lose the moustacca, hold marks and kick straight!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 06 Apr 2021 5:48pm Best part is most of youse were twisting your nipples off after the 2019 trade period....

I recall specifically a few of you saying exactly what's here.....https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 0033d2ac29

Now we've lost a few youre so keen to eat a bag of d1cks... and wash its down with the finest Japanese sookie la la.....enjoy!
Eloquent my dear fellow.

takeaway
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 10:58pm Don't make a habit of bagging players but had enough of Dan the man and the bulls*** that is written here about him.

He is a f****** bust of a recruit and we were and are f****** idiots for taking him.

Yes, we got smashed in one game and lets not throw the baby with the bath water but f*** Hannebery.

All the stuff I have read here:
- other recruits have come because of him.
- he sets the training standards
- he's a leader & a mentor
- we had to pay the salary cap anyway
- it was front end loaded contract
- he's not on $800K
- Sydney gave us Jones as part of the Hannebery deal
- he's an assistant coach

f*** me, the guy has played what 13 average games and one decent final and who the f*** knows when he plays again or if he does?

For anyone who believes the above about Dan I respectfully request they provide some proof to all or any of those comments.

I wish he'd do the right thing by the club and retire.
He was f***ed in his last season at Sydney, them getting rid of him was a salary dump and they must be pissing themselves laughing now. Guess what, he was f***ed in 2018 and the game isn't getting any slower.

Biggest bust we have had in a long time, I'm no fan of Kent but he has been a much better recruit than Dan.

I don't mind getting Crouch, he was a free agent and costs only $.

We traded huge for Hill and though relatively cheap we gave up way too much for Hannebery, it should have been a Luke Hodge deal with #65 or DFA given we took all his wage off Sydneys books.

The Hill deal is frighteningly bad, he has been a very good AFL player but he absolutely refuses to put his body on the line in any situation. Billings is not a physical player, but he puts his body on the line when it is his turn, Hill does not.
True, Hannebury has not got onto the park nearly as much as envisaged. However, thanks for listing other positive factors relating to him arriving at the Saints. Makes one feel a bit better. I reckon there is a fair bit of truth to many of the factors, although as you know, they cannot be proven one way or another.

He definitely hasn't been officially appointed as an assistant coach though. Is he an unofficial assistant coach? Who knows?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 9:12am
Joffa Burns wrote: Sun 04 Apr 2021 10:58pm Don't make a habit of bagging players but had enough of Dan the man and the bulls*** that is written here about him.

He is a f****** bust of a recruit and we were and are f****** idiots for taking him.

Yes, we got smashed in one game and lets not throw the baby with the bath water but f*** Hannebery.

All the stuff I have read here:
- other recruits have come because of him.
- he sets the training standards
- he's a leader & a mentor
- we had to pay the salary cap anyway
- it was front end loaded contract
- he's not on $800K
- Sydney gave us Jones as part of the Hannebery deal
- he's an assistant coach

f*** me, the guy has played what 13 average games and one decent final and who the f*** knows when he plays again or if he does?

For anyone who believes the above about Dan I respectfully request they provide some proof to all or any of those comments.

I wish he'd do the right thing by the club and retire.
He was f***ed in his last season at Sydney, them getting rid of him was a salary dump and they must be pissing themselves laughing now. Guess what, he was f***ed in 2018 and the game isn't getting any slower.

Biggest bust we have had in a long time, I'm no fan of Kent but he has been a much better recruit than Dan.

I don't mind getting Crouch, he was a free agent and costs only $.

We traded huge for Hill and though relatively cheap we gave up way too much for Hannebery, it should have been a Luke Hodge deal with #65 or DFA given we took all his wage off Sydneys books.

The Hill deal is frighteningly bad, he has been a very good AFL player but he absolutely refuses to put his body on the line in any situation. Billings is not a physical player, but he puts his body on the line when it is his turn, Hill does not.
True, Hannebury has not got onto the park nearly as much as envisaged. However, thanks for listing other positive factors relating to him arriving at the Saints. Makes one feel a bit better. I reckon there is a fair bit of truth to many of the factors, although as you know, they cannot be proven one way or another.

He definitely hasn't been officially appointed as an assistant coach though. Is he an unofficial assistant coach? Who knows?
Your guess is as good as mine.

I hope he is providing leadership and professional standards for the group as at least we are getting some ROI.

For the record I have no personal issue with Dan, I am sure he’s desperate to play and unbelievably frustrated by the constant set backs.

Like many on here the frustration around the Hannebery recruitment was it was widely known he was breaking down with soft tissue issues when recruited but we were either desperate to land a name or stupid, I guess the former.

Like taking Paddy over Petracca, everyone seemed to know we were making a mistake except those inside the club.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 10:12am Like taking Paddy over Petracca, everyone seemed to know we were making a mistake except those inside the club.
Bingo!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Some voiced there concerns at the time and were targeted and ridiculed for having an opinion contrary to the clubs.

Now it’s a popular and proven opinion it’s ok and everyone has jumped on it.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 4:16pm Some voiced there concerns at the time and were targeted and ridiculed for having an opinion contrary to the clubs.

It was the logical/commonsensical decision to make - not to take Hanners as was picking Petracca over McCartin - and those using logic and common sense were proven right both times.

The biggest obstacle to our success is our recruiters.
Last edited by samoht on Wed 07 Apr 2021 4:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 4:16pm Some voiced there concerns at the time and were targeted and ridiculed for having an opinion contrary to the clubs.

As with the Ball v Judd
The McEvoy v Rioli
The Riewoldt v Armitage

(current) King v Smith (I personally think we did the right thing now grabbing King, even though I wanted Smith. Would be an even better get if we had Petracca but King was picked because the McCartin selection was so poor!)

Sadly the Petracca selection was the most perplexing of all, recent & past.

The outlier is the Billings v the Bont, that has become a hindsight driven fable.

Laurie
Club Player

Give me the Bont anytime over Billings.
We should get some value now for him now before its too late.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 4:29pm
As with the Ball v Judd
The McEvoy v Rioli
The Riewoldt v Armitage

(current) King v Smith (I personally think we did the right thing now grabbing King, even though I wanted Smith. Would be an even better get if we had Petracca but King was picked because the McCartin selection was so poor!)

The outlier is the Billings v the Bont, that has become a hindsight driven fable.
If what you pointed out is not enough (as missed opportunities), we also have recruited half a dozen average small forwards (Kent can't get a game), half a dozen resurrected and project ruckmen (with the addition of Alabakis, McKernan and Hunter), half a dozen average half back flankers (McKenzie is surplass to our needs and can't get a game), too many inside midfielders (Dunstan, Bytel, Steele and Crouch are all inside types) ... with the result that multiples of mediocre players and players who are surplass to our needs are maxing out our salary cap, when we could have used the same money (or less?) to go after and target 1 or 2 stars in each of the categories and to also add the missing ingredients, the areas we're lacking - e.g., going after 1 or 2 star outside/inside midfielders.
You only need 2 half back flankers, you only need 1 or 2 good ruckmen, you only need 1 or 2 inside midfielders, 1 or 2 small forwards, etc...
I mean, Savage couldn't even get a game and we let him go.
There's no planning ... our recruiters are just recruiting without thinking.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 4:41pm Give me the Bont anytime over Billings.
We should get some value now for him now before its too late.
N0 thanks. Billings is only underrated on this forum, but not by the club.

Last year he was second in disposals behind Steele. first in the number of kicks, 5th in marks taken, 2nd in the number of handballs given off, 4th in contested possessions, 1st in uncontested possessions, 3rd in score assists, 5th in score involvements, 4th for the number of tackles, and 4th again for inside 50s.

I am sick to death of reading uninformd crap on this forum denigrating Billings FFS. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 4:42pm
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 4:29pm
As with the Ball v Judd
The McEvoy v Rioli
The Riewoldt v Armitage

If what you pointed out is not enough (as missed opportunities), we also have recruited half a dozen average small forwards (Kent can't get a game), half a dozen resurrected and project ruckmen (with the addition of Alabakis, McKernan and Hunter), half a dozen average half back flankers (McKenzie is surplass to our needs and can't get a game), too many inside midfielders (Dunstan, Bytel, Steele and Crouch are all inside types) ... with the result that multiples of mediocre players and players who are surplass to our needs are maxing out our salary cap, when we could have used the same money (or less?) to go after and target 1 or 2 stars in each of the categories and to also add the missing ingredients, the areas we're lacking - e.g., going after 1 or 2 star outside/inside midfielders.
You only need 2 half back flankers, you only need 1 or 2 good ruckmen, you only need 1 or 2 inside midfielders, 1 or 2 small forwards, etc...
I mean, Savage couldn't even get a game and we let him go.
There's no planning ... our recruiters are just recruiting without thinking.
Funny , I thought McKenzie got picked for a game last week.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I believe our targetting and recruitment has been way off the mark since Lethlean has been at the helm. The only 3 x recruits the club can say are a sucess are Howard, Ryder & before 2021 Butler. The rest have been very ordinary, but there is time for Crouch to come good.

Hannebrey has been a disaster all round, as Ive said before Sydney were laughing at us when we took his salary out of their cap.

I understand the club wanted to inject some high quality players, but what we have given up particularly in the Hill trade was ridiculous. Our current lack of kids coming through is the result. History shows there is no quick fix in football and St Kilda have been looking for it for far too long.

The Billings Method
Club Player

The lack of kids coming through. Like Coffield, Clark, King, Bytel, Byrne's and Battle. Good grief 🙄.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

In comparison to some clubs we have far less U22 talent

carn_sainter
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 5:42pm

Last year he was second in disposals behind Steele. first in the number of kicks, 5th in marks taken, 2nd in the number of handballs given off, 4th in contested possessions, 1st in uncontested possessions, 3rd in score assists, 5th in score involvements, 4th for the number of tackles, and 4th again for inside 50s.

I am sick to death of reading uninformd crap on this forum denigrating Billings FFS. :roll:
He's also not rated that highly by the club, is he?

Honest question , what are his best and fairest finishes? That's a far better indicator than a few stats.

He's alright, Billings. Would get a game at any club...but is nowhere near Bontempelli. A full tier below as a player.

SuperDuper
Club Player

carn_sainter wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 1:18am
saynta wrote: Wed 07 Apr 2021 5:42pm

He's also not rated that highly by the club, is he?

Honest question , what are his best and fairest finishes? That's a far better indicator than a few stats.

He's alright, Billings. Would get a game at any club...but is nowhere near Bontempelli. A full tier below as a player.
Yes Bont is better but as stated above, that is a hindsight call. It is easy to rate ¡players 5 years after the draft.
Billings was not a bad pick up and not a bust, just not as good as the guy after him.

the Petracca pick was a disaster and everyone knew at the time that Petracca was no. 1.
Except Elsaugh who tried to be clever.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It seems that 4 is the new 2.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Word is he’s hurt the other calf again today and is looking like he’ll be out even longer
Last edited by skeptic on Thu 08 Apr 2021 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Remember when it was no big deal and he was going to play round 1?

:lol:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 2:06pm Remember when it was no big deal and he was going to play round 1?

:lol:
He’s trucking along beautifully and it was always the plan that he miss that practice match...
Boy they put me in my place