Not a bad effort v Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Not a bad effort v Eagles

Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:09am While we continue to have poorly skilled players by foot we will not trouble top sides
Yes we have injurie# but we had our chances tonight and when it mattered we turned it over or made ooor decisions
Phillips gave the ball cleanly back to Eagles on st least 4 occasions I saw ; he’s young and needs some time but let’s not wait 5 years like we do to work out if this type of player stacks up
Newnes another serial offender - when the pressure is on I just know he’s not up to it
Though5 Bruce was good billing’s and Gresham solid and Marshall has a crack
Credit to Brown and Webster the eagles talls were ok but not brilliant
We have to continue to hunt talent and turn the list over
Need new coach also
But we have some signs of life so not all doom and gloom
Accurate summary

The Peanut
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 1:03am Who gives a flying farrrrk about effort, i want a team that can win, consistently, a team that is efficient by foot, unlike what we have now. :roll: :roll:
In my view we have improved from last year and when I consider the 'outs' I thought the kids stood up - sure they have a way to go, but spitting the dummy midstream will just give you a heart attack. We all want a team that will win.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:31pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:20pm All things considering, it wasn't a bad effort against the reigning premiers to go down by 3 goals. If 4-5 blokes we have out injured at the moment were chucked into that lineup tonight then we have a pretty good side going forward that could challenge top 8 sides. We got beat in the guts badly and around throw ups so an expierenced Hanners and Steven would have made a massive difference tonight.

Things will only get better and we will move forward as a side. Throwing games into these kids like Battle, Wilkie, DMac, Paton, Marshall, Parker, Long , etc. will help big time for next year too.
This is borderline “baiting”.

They kicked 1.8 in the last qtr and shouldve won by 8 goals+ and they didn’t get out of first gear.
lol..this

actually feel a bit embarrassed I added to yet another "look at me " thread.

twirlyhair
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 10:36am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:20pm All things considering, it wasn't a bad effort against the reigning premiers to go down by 3 goals. If 4-5 blokes we have out injured at the moment were chucked into that lineup tonight then we have a pretty good side going forward that could challenge top 8 sides. We got beat in the guts badly and around throw ups so an expierenced Hanners and Steven would have made a massive difference tonight.

Things will only get better and we will move forward as a side. Throwing games into these kids like Battle, Wilkie, DMac, Paton, Marshall, Parker, Long , etc. will help big time for next year too.

They kicked 1.8 in the last qtr and shouldve won by 8 goals+ and they didn’t get out of first gear.
lol..this

I agree. SS really should allow others to share differing opinions

twirlyhair
Club Player

lol..this

twirlyhair
Club Player

lol..this

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 10:10am
Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:09am While we continue to have poorly skilled players by foot we will not trouble top sides
Yes we have injurie# but we had our chances tonight and when it mattered we turned it over or made ooor decisions
Phillips gave the ball cleanly back to Eagles on st least 4 occasions I saw ; he’s young and needs some time but let’s not wait 5 years like we do to work out if this type of player stacks up
Newnes another serial offender - when the pressure is on I just know he’s not up to it
Need new coach also
I wonder if anyone has done stats on the number of times possession has been lost due to players being one sided.
A two sided player can kick the ball almost anywhere but one sided player is either forced to kick to a poor place or holds onto possession and gets caught.

An example is Ross needing to find his left side all the time.
I think that at U18s a one sided kid can look very impresssive but that weakness gets exposed at AFL level.
I am of the belief that St Kilda's recruiters don't give enough bonus points for a double sided kid, hence we have a low skilled team.
Quiz question: Who is a top 10 draft pick of recent years that we have on our list who is highly rated for his kicking skills both sides?

Clue: Unlike nearly most of his peers from that draft (the top ten picks) who are getting consistent games every single week, this guy on our list is being dropped to the VFL after only 1 or 2 weeks in the seniors.

The other interesting fact that is bewildering is that our blokes numbers were similar to the stats from his peers when you isolate some of their early games this year. Aaron Naughton, Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra and even Cam Rainer have struggled at times. Their coaches never said "he's struggling and he's in a slump". The stats are quite similar.

The other coaches and their clubs have a different perspective and although the other clubs also had terrific starts to the year and they were in the top 8 they did not drop their young talent and eventually the talent repaid the faith.

When you have a highly talented kid in only his second year of footy, if you back them in for about 5-6 games in a row, nearly all of them show good progress with their possession numbers. It's not rocket science
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 12 May 2019 6:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Watching the replay-

We are not far away

To 3Q we were right in it and anyone who thinks the Umps didn't root us in this game have no idea.

Add a little more class and we are a finals side.

Another tall forward option will stretch most sides.

Well done boys. Keep cracking in

Nee!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Phillips...still a baby who's barely played at this level. To write him off is ridiculous. The good thing about him is that he can find the ball and in most of his games for us so far he's had more than 20 possessions. He'll get better. He's tracking as well as his brother at the same stage.

Newnes has been very good for us this year and yesterday he was quiet, so at least respect him for his body of work this year. Remember, prior to last season, he basically hadn't had a pre-season.

Dunstan was good, but he needs to put it together consistently and be better with his disposal. I was pleased to see him get more than 15 touches (which is what he's given us previously)

We have the most inexperienced half back line in the league with Wilkie, Battle, and Paton only having about 25 games between them. They held up really well.

We had 7 very inexperience players out there against last year's premiers and we matched them for most of the game

Battle and Wilikie already play like seasoned veterans

Our game plane is immeasurably better than last season's debacle

twirlyhair
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 1:09pm Watching the replay-

We are not far away

To 3Q we were right in it and anyone who thinks the Umps didn't root us in this game have no idea.

Add a little more class and we are a finals side.

Another tall forward option will stretch most sides.

Well done boys. Keep cracking in
Agree totally. And we really miss Steven last night. That quick clearance and run he gives us would have added a couple of goals.

older saint
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 1:41pm Phillips...still a baby who's barely played at this level. To write him off is ridiculous. The good thing about him is that he can find the ball and in most of his games for us so far he's had more than 20 possessions. He'll get better. He's tracking as well as his brother at the same stage.

Newnes has been very good for us this year and yesterday he was quiet, so at least respect him for his body of work this year. Remember, prior to last season, he basically hadn't had a pre-season.

Dunstan was good, but he needs to put it together consistently and be better with his disposal. I was pleased to see him get more than 15 touches (which is what he's given us previously)

We have the most inexperienced half back line in the league with Wilkie, Battle, and Paton only having about 25 games between them. They held up really well.

We had 7 very inexperience players out there against last year's premiers and we matched them for most of the game

Agree with a lot of what you have said there ( i think Newness started well but last 3 weeks poor IMO) however i think it also relates to what is many peoples frustration.
As you said you are talking about Phillips, Paton , Wilkie, Battle - these are not the guys who let us down at critical times IMO.

i can think of a few specific cases :
- Steele set shot 30 out say 40 degree angle , 3rd qtr - kicks out on the full! I believe the goal posts are 8 metres apart , he has then 16 metres in reality to at least score and from 30 out misses everything!
- 3rd qtr on the rebound through the middle Gresham ( i believe) can handball to a running ross ( I believe) for a certain score, lobs the handball Ross has to leave the air and by the time he gets it is tackle and chance gone.
- McKenzie no pressure on the wing misses target by 4 metres , straight to WC player ( 4th qtr early), goes other way they blow a goal
- Newnes roves the pack 15 out with time and misses 4th qtr
- Gresham steams out of the middle , after 3 goals in a row, and pass to Bruce on the lead, but the kick lands a metre short. 4th qtr
My point is the names here are guys who have played enough now to be delivering better in these situation ( perhaps not McKenzie but his kicking kills me ), these aren't the Paton's Wilkies, Battles, making the inexperience mistakes.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:20pm Throwing games into these kids......will help big time for next year too.
I have to take the protagonist's viewpoint here. Not to patronise anyone, please, but these are not practice games...the idea that we burn premiership points while the season is still up for grabs, at Round 8, to 'get games into the kids' - I can't stomach it.

Especially after we have been "rebuilding" for almost a decade. Rounds 18 onwards, OK..but now?

We need to play each game as if it is our last..at least until Round 16.

No wonder the crowds stay home.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

ss1986 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:39pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:33pm Baiting?

NFI.

Look at the scoreboard, opponent, injury list and expierence levels.

Some are always up and about after a loss. 🙄
Ted- we never looked like beating them. No distinguishing game plan, same old conversion issues, same old passengers like Newnes getting a run, and let off by an out-of-form interstate team who YOU honestly believed we had a chance against, going half rat-power and kicking abysmally.

I found Marshall’s efforts and Bruce “pleasing”. That’s about it.
Sure Ted may be overly positive, but you really need to learn the game. You wheel out the same old mantra, the Coach, the gameplan (which is a bit different to last year) and Newnes.

Newnes has been superb this year and was under an injury cloud yesterday, he probably hardly trained during the week. The result had nothing to do with Coaching or gameplan, more like our forwards not working anywhere near hard enough! By the way Ratten is the forward Coach, not that I'm blaming him.

Aside from our massive injury list, I don't believe Long is 100% and Bruce and Membrey just need to pull their finger out. Bruce and Membrey did that in the last, leading hard, demanding the footy, getting in front and contesting hard, its no accident that was our best quarter and we got back in the game (albeit too late). Put Lonie, Geary and Carlisle in that side and the Weagles got nowhere near us.

Sort of reminds me of a conversation I once heard between Darryl Baldock (when Coach) and the almighty Tony Lockett. Practice match against Western Bulldogs circa 1988, 3 qtr time. The Bulldogs had been flooding numbers back in front of Lockett and he'd only kicked 2. As it was a practice match, spectators could go out and listen to the address.

Baldock asked Lockett to play in front, Lockett replied "but Doc their dropping 10 men back in front of me", Baldock swung around and screamed "well get your arse in front of all 10 of them or you can sit next to me in the box!"

Our forwards need that sort of message, given their performances in the last 2 weeks.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Then there was some utterly dumb footy, Seb Ross excelling again, ablely assisted by Membrey. Dumb footy is never Coached.

saintkev
Club Player

older saint wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 2:23pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 1:41pm Phillips...still a baby who's barely played at this level. To write him off is ridiculous. The good thing about him is that he can find the ball and in most of his games for us so far he's had more than 20 possessions. He'll get better. He's tracking as well as his brother at the same stage.

Agree with a lot of what you have said there ( i think Newness started well but last 3 weeks poor IMO) however i think it also relates to what is many peoples frustration.
As you said you are talking about Phillips, Paton , Wilkie, Battle - these are not the guys who let us down at critical times IMO.

- Steele set shot 30 out say 40 degree angle , 3rd qtr - kicks out on the full! I believe the goal posts are 8 metres apart , he has then 16 metres in reality to at least score and from 30 out misses everything!
- 3rd qtr on the rebound through the middle Gresham ( i believe) can handball to a running ross ( I believe) for a certain score, lobs the handball Ross has to leave the air and by the time he gets it is tackle and chance gone.
- McKenzie no pressure on the wing misses target by 4 metres , straight to WC player ( 4th qtr early), goes other way they blow a goal
- Gresham steams out of the middle , after 3 goals in a row, and pass to Bruce on the lead, but the kick lands a metre short. 4th qtr
My point is the names here are guys who have played enough now to be delivering better in these situation ( perhaps not McKenzie but his kicking kills me ), these aren't the Paton's Wilkies, Battles, making the inexperience mistakes.
Add to that Kent steaming towards goal on an angle that favoured his left side and misses the lot by a country mile.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saintkev wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 6:00pm
older saint wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 2:23pm

Add to that Kent steaming towards goal on an angle that favoured his left side and misses the lot by a country mile.
He could have run all the way to the goal line and made sure of it, instead he blazed away for glory like an idiot. The moment the game was lost.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the squalid umpiring, worst than Kent's effort by a mile.

We had two clear marks in the goal square (certain goals) not paid. I haven't seen it on telly yet, but the referred decision also appeared to be wrong. On the scoreboard screen it looked to have hit Long's boot last. So we were robbed of 2 maybe 3 goals.

ss1986
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 5:36pm

NFI.

Ted- we never looked like beating them. No distinguishing game plan, same old conversion issues, same old passengers like Newnes getting a run, and let off by an out-of-form interstate team who YOU honestly believed we had a chance against, going half rat-power and kicking abysmally.

Sure Ted may be overly positive, but you really need to learn the game. You wheel out the same old mantra, the Coach, the gameplan (which is a bit different to last year) and Newnes.

Newnes has been superb this year and was under an injury cloud yesterday, he probably hardly trained during the week. The result had nothing to do with Coaching or gameplan, more like our forwards not working anywhere near hard enough! By the way Ratten is the forward Coach, not that I'm blaming him.

Aside from our massive injury list, I don't believe Long is 100% and Bruce and Membrey just need to pull their finger out. Bruce and Membrey did that in the last, leading hard, demanding the footy, getting in front and contesting hard, its no accident that was our best quarter and we got back in the game (albeit too late). Put Lonie, Geary and Carlisle in that side and the Weagles got nowhere near us.

Sort of reminds me of a conversation I once heard between Darryl Baldock (when Coach) and the almighty Tony Lockett. Practice match against Western Bulldogs circa 1988, 3 qtr time. The Bulldogs had been flooding numbers back in front of Lockett and he'd only kicked 2. As it was a practice match, spectators could go out and listen to the address.

Baldock asked Lockett to play in front, Lockett replied "but Doc their dropping 10 men back in front of me", Baldock swung around and screamed "well get your arse in front of all 10 of them or you can sit next to me in the box!"

Our forwards need that sort of message, given their performances in the last 2 weeks.
Cheers - after telling me to learn the game, I stopped reading at the highlighted statement. Fairyland sounds like a wonderful place.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

ss1986 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 6:24pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 5:36pm

NFI.

Cheers - after telling me to learn the game, I stopped reading at the highlighted statement. Fairyland sounds like a wonderful place.
I think West Coast would have struggled to score much with Carlisle sweeping across half back, not to mention how Carlisle uses it by foot. Our forward line requires what Lonie brings to function well, he's worth an extra 2 or 3 goals. The defence isn't as well drilled without Geary, not to mention the lkeadership Geary and Carlisle bring. So with those three in, I cannot see how West Coast would have beaten us, throw in Jack Steven for good measure. Perhaps you can explain.

Fact is we really didn't play well, poor umpiring cost us a few goals and still the Premiers had to work hard to grind out 4 points.

There is no team that we have played this year that I fear, if we have a close to fully healthy List, not one. Perhaps Geelong of the ones we haven't played.

So when you say nothing has changed from last year, when we couldn't win and were often uncompetitive, who's living in fairy land, or should I more accurately say, baseless uninformed opinion land.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 5:39pm Then there was some utterly dumb footy, Seb Ross excelling again, ablely assisted by Membrey. Dumb footy is never Coached.
Lol.... was thinking the same thing. Really was hard to watch at times last night.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Reminds me of Einstein’s definition of insanity.

Same old, same old. Delivery into the forward line or transition as it’s now called has been a problem for three consecutive seasons. When we control the game, which we did for long periods last night, we fail to convert our dominance on the scoreboard.

You can be as positive as you want, but it’s not going to change diddly; the message isn’t getting through and or the players can’t execute instructions.

Somethings gotta give because it’s getting very tiring to watch week in, week out and the Pav has much better things to do.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:02pm
ace wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 10:10am
Need new coach also
I wonder if anyone has done stats on the number of times possession has been lost due to players being one sided.
A two sided player can kick the ball almost anywhere but one sided player is either forced to kick to a poor place or holds onto possession and gets caught.

An example is Ross needing to find his left side all the time.
I think that at U18s a one sided kid can look very impresssive but that weakness gets exposed at AFL level.
I am of the belief that St Kilda's recruiters don't give enough bonus points for a double sided kid, hence we have a low skilled team.
Quiz question: Who is a top 10 draft pick of recent years that we have on our list who is highly rated for his kicking skills both sides?

Clue: Unlike nearly most of his peers from that draft (the top ten picks) who are getting consistent games every single week, this guy on our list is being dropped to the VFL after only 1 or 2 weeks in the seniors.

The other interesting fact that is bewildering is that our blokes numbers were similar to the stats from his peers when you isolate some of their early games this year. Aaron Naughton, Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra and even Cam Rainer have struggled at times. Their coaches never said "he's struggling and he's in a slump". The stats are quite similar.

The other coaches and their clubs have a different perspective and although the other clubs also had terrific starts to the year and they were in the top 8 they did not drop their young talent and eventually the talent repaid the faith.

When you have a highly talented kid in only his second year of footy, if you back them in for about 5-6 games in a row, nearly all of them show good progress with their possession numbers. It's not rocket science
Jack Billings.

If the bloke you were talking about was Clark, well his form warranted being dropped. He's not working hard enough. That may be tank (probably a factor) so that will come. If not he's just got to go harder consistently.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

LL;

The complete question including the clues are obviously referring to Hunter Clark. The whole point of the context regarding other draftees and other coaches and the teams who started the year well (and were in the top 8 like the Saints) was to compare and go outside our football club and the spin and comments that Richo made to the media.

Did you even bother to look at the stats from his peers? Cerra and Dow and also Naughton were struggling in the first 4-5 rounds and their form probably also warranted having them dropped. Even the Number #1 draft pick from that year is struggling but his coaches have at least given him a block of games to gain confidence and get used to the pace at this level.

I think a lot of us are sick to death of the agenda of some of the posters on this forum where they'll support the club's decisions no matter what and will repeat ad nauseum the spin from the club. You have to accept what the coach and the club say or you're not a good supporter bs.

Do you really believe that the fitness staff and the coaches would have included him in the team in the first place if he wasn't fit enough or didn't have the tank?

The dividend will come to you if you stick to the original reasons you acquired the asset and if you are patient. If and when our side make finals, he will be the guy that can deliver something special. You have to invest AFL games into the kid.

I cannot condone a coach treating Clark the same as a player that has been at the club 4 or 5 years. Unfortunately the nature of the AFL draft is that 18 year old kids come into the system and they have to be taught and they have to build confidence. He needs consistent games at AFL level. It's as simple as that
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 12 May 2019 10:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Maybe, just maybe the coaches and developers (who have played at the highest levels and been at different clubs in different roles) at the Saints and who get paid to do this gig full time know what they're doing with Hunter Clark and others.

Crazy idea I know for some to comprehend but maybe they know what they're doing in trying to make him a gun footballer! 😳

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why do you not look at the evidence. Have you seen how horrid some of the stats were for Hunters peers who were top ten draft picks in the same year he was drafted? You haven't have you? Your only mo is to discredit anyone who disagrees with the coach

The other coaches and the other teams are doing it a different way

If Richo was a mastermind and if he had the runs on the board then I'd be supporting him harder than you

If Richo had the guts to drop some of our senior players last 2 years or....god forbid drop Roo when he was underperforming (like Clarkson did to his captain from last year) then maybe, just maybe he'd have more respect and credibility. Dropping Roughhead sent a rocket up the Hawks players and they performed brilliantly today

Oh ...by the way...Stick your 'crazy' and stick your emoji