Not a bad effort v Eagles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Not a bad effort v Eagles

All things considering, it wasn't a bad effort against the reigning premiers to go down by 3 goals. If 4-5 blokes we have out injured at the moment were chucked into that lineup tonight then we have a pretty good side going forward that could challenge top 8 sides. We got beat in the guts badly and around throw ups so an expierenced Hanners and Steven would have made a massive difference tonight.

Things will only get better and we will move forward as a side. Throwing games into these kids like Battle, Wilkie, DMac, Paton, Marshall, Parker, Long , etc. will help big time for next year too.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Not a bad effort v Eagles

And if Pollyanna had played FF we might even have won. Ted, we were never in it and the coaching/selection never gave us a realistic chance. Too many usual suspects passengers and too many miss-matches. The good players we have deserve better.

ss1986
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:20pm All things considering, it wasn't a bad effort against the reigning premiers to go down by 3 goals. If 4-5 blokes we have out injured at the moment were chucked into that lineup tonight then we have a pretty good side going forward that could challenge top 8 sides. We got beat in the guts badly and around throw ups so an expierenced Hanners and Steven would have made a massive difference tonight.

Things will only get better and we will move forward as a side. Throwing games into these kids like Battle, Wilkie, DMac, Paton, Marshall, Parker, Long , etc. will help big time for next year too.
This is borderline “baiting”.

They kicked 1.8 in the last qtr and shouldve won by 8 goals+ and they didn’t get out of first gear.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Baiting?

NFI.

Look at the scoreboard, opponent, injury list and expierence levels.

Some are always up and about after a loss. 🙄

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Eagles played for about 40% of the game and did it comfortably.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Saints played less than 40% of the game.

Total = 1.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Plus I think we will come home with a hugely wet sail in the last half of the year.

Total = 1.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We need to stop adding insult to our injury list.

We are missing some very good players.

This was far from our best side ... yet we were competitive.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 11 May 2019 11:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

ss1986
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:33pm Baiting?

NFI.

Look at the scoreboard, opponent, injury list and expierence levels.

Some are always up and about after a loss. 🙄
Ted- we never looked like beating them. No distinguishing game plan, same old conversion issues, same old passengers like Newnes getting a run, and let off by an out-of-form interstate team who YOU honestly believed we had a chance against, going half rat-power and kicking abysmally.

I found Marshall’s efforts and Bruce “pleasing”. That’s about it.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

it was an average effort by both teams. We have not elite talent and they kicked poorly all game and ended up winning easily. Until we get an outside mid and stop the continual long bombs we will struggle. Problem is this has been said dozens of times before, both here and in teh general media.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:36pm Eagles played for about 40% of the game and did it comfortably.

bulls*** complete bulls***.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

From the first bounce, there didn't seem any urgency from either team.
Looked like 2 boxers dancing around the contest, neither wanting to commit.
But with their superior skills, they were comfortable with their effort.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
guitars4
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:37pm Saints played less than 40% of the game.
And did it uncomfortably :(

silverhalo
Club Player

Josh Battle was superb and just getting better every game - he's the big plus for me tonight

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

While we continue to have poorly skilled players by foot we will not trouble top sides
Yes we have injurie# but we had our chances tonight and when it mattered we turned it over or made ooor decisions
Phillips gave the ball cleanly back to Eagles on st least 4 occasions I saw ; he’s young and needs some time but let’s not wait 5 years like we do to work out if this type of player stacks up
Newnes another serial offender - when the pressure is on I just know he’s not up to it
Though5 Bruce was good billing’s and Gresham solid and Marshall has a crack
Credit to Brown and Webster the eagles talls were ok but not brilliant
We have to continue to hunt talent and turn the list over
Need new coach also
But we have some signs of life so not all doom and gloom

“Yeah….nah””
longtimesaint
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:01am Josh Battle was superb and just getting better every game - he's the big plus for me tonight
Why has he not been considered for the rising star one week.
He has held down centre half back and done a very credible job on some of the big forwards.

One year will be our year
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:19am
silverhalo wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:01am Josh Battle was superb and just getting better every game - he's the big plus for me tonight
Why has he not been considered for the rising star one week.
He has held down centre half back and done a very credible job on some of the big forwards.
Because he doesn't have icy poles for legs and string beans for arms like that puny guy who won it last year

You probably have to have pimples or look anorexic to be nominated

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Who gives a flying farrrrk about effort, i want a team that can win, consistently, a team that is efficient by foot, unlike what we have now. :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ss1986
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 1:03am Who gives a flying farrrrk about effort, i want a team that can win, consistently, a team that is efficient by foot, unlike what we have now. :roll: :roll:
Not allowed to demand any more than pleasing efforts around here Wayne.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We fought it out, I guess, but we should really be winning games like this - particularly at home - if our trajectory is upwards.

We’re really missing Geary’s on field leadership. Plus Carlisle, Steven, Hannebery and Roberton would be handy.

I’m not convinced we can turn it around any time soon

guitars4
Club Player

ss1986 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 1:27am
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 1:03am Who gives a flying farrrrk about effort, i want a team that can win, consistently, a team that is efficient by foot, unlike what we have now. :roll: :roll:
Not allowed to demand any more than pleasing efforts around here Wayne.
You forgot positive & strong :wink:

Crossy66
Club Player

I didnt expect to win any of the 4 tough games in this block, so no too disappointed on the win loss front .
But we had many chances tonight that went begging due to poor execution, including howlers from some of our best.
I also reiterate that we cant have all of long, parker and kent in the one side.
I can see what they are trying to do by lowering the eyes, but we lacked the skills to pull it off.

scallopsroe
Club Player

Agree, he has been a stand out this year, the only one of our young guns that is firing consistently. I wonder how he would go up forward, again we scored only 10 goals and badly need some height and footy smarts up forward. (Dean Kent, Benny Long and Matty Parker I'm talking about you :evil: ) Some footy smarts in the coaching box and selection table would also help us against a talented opponent.

twirlyhair
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sat 11 May 2019 11:20pm All things considering, it wasn't a bad effort against the reigning premiers to go down by 3 goals. If 4-5 blokes we have out injured at the moment were chucked into that lineup tonight then we have a pretty good side going forward that could challenge top 8 sides. We got beat in the guts badly and around throw ups so an expierenced Hanners and Steven would have made a massive difference tonight.

I agree Ted. Considering experience, players out, umpiring, I think that is a fair result. Never happy of course, but I think you would be in la la land to think that we should be beating the current premiers with the team that is currently running around.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 12 May 2019 12:09am While we continue to have poorly skilled players by foot we will not trouble top sides
Yes we have injurie# but we had our chances tonight and when it mattered we turned it over or made ooor decisions
Phillips gave the ball cleanly back to Eagles on st least 4 occasions I saw ; he’s young and needs some time but let’s not wait 5 years like we do to work out if this type of player stacks up
Newnes another serial offender - when the pressure is on I just know he’s not up to it
Though5 Bruce was good billing’s and Gresham solid and Marshall has a crack
Credit to Brown and Webster the eagles talls were ok but not brilliant
We have to continue to hunt talent and turn the list over
Need new coach also
But we have some signs of life so not all doom and gloom
I wonder if anyone has done stats on the number of times possession has been lost due to players being one sided.
A two sided player can kick the ball almost anywhere but one sided player is either forced to kick to a poor place or holds onto possession and gets caught.

An example is Ross needing to find his left side all the time.
I think that at U18s a one sided kid can look very impresssive but that weakness gets exposed at AFL level.
I am of the belief that St Kilda's recruiters don't give enough bonus points for a double sided kid, hence we have a low skilled team.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.