Time To Take Concussion Seriously

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trixilver
Club Player

Re: Time To Take Concussion Seriously

Would be nice to have a quality midfielder right now. Like I said before we drafted him, hitting targets in F50 is way more important than clunking marks from shocking passes. I remember the weeks before draft night saying there's no way we should select McCartin. Painful to think that fans on the internet can make better decisions.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 4:41pm Yes, you're right, CQ Saint.
I just looked at the incident ... it happened around the 70 metre mark as you say.
Paddy backed into the pack - Long got him with his hip, and Steele was the third Saint player as you pointed out (not Membrey).
I wasn't looking to change the facts to support a good/false argument (as you mentioned) - I'm just looking to see if my theory holds any water - and I'm looking for evidence either way.
In fact, I posed the question earlier - how many of the concussions happened inside the F50 vs outside the F50, obviously there needs to weighting applied for time spent inside the F50 vs outside the F50, if you want to reach a meaningful conclusion.
You can't make things up, if you want to get to the truth.
Im not sure about the 2 at Sandy but in at least 3/6 instances in the 1's Im pretty sure he was moving with the flight of the ball and one was a head clash with Newnes. In another he was nudged (not quite tunneled) under the ball and fell back on his head. The lastest and another in 2016 were out of the f50 arch. In both cases it was bad judgement/awareness and he chasing a kick that he wasn't meant for him but just kicked in his direction.

When it was 6 concussions, apparently the doctors were still suggesting that he was no more susceptible to concussions than anyone else. This theory is beginning to run a bit thin.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I like Paddy, I think there is talent there. He is obviously working hard and wants it badly but enough is enough. Concussions and safety to the side, I believe we are better off focusing on other forward set ups. Play him at Sandy for the rest of the year. If you want a mobile lead up forward option that can mark and kick, put Battle back there or try Wilkie or Marsh. Poor old Paddy has clearly become a liability.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:51pm
saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:45pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:25pm At least in rugby league they know where the opposition is coming from so they can brace themselves. AFL is a 360 degree sport where they often get caught/hit unawares from any direction on the field. In addition AFL is a much faster paced game where collisions are often similar to a car crash. League is a much slower paced sport where the collisions are largely more calculated & anticipated.
No one even mentioned League. We were talking about union. A much different game.

They are twice as big as AFL players and their backs would leave most of our guys for dead in a foot race.

And they can still be hit from behind or the side.
League/Union same thing
Ha! :D Go and say that in NSW

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:51pm
saynta wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:45pm
Myron Gaines wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 6:25pm At least in rugby league they know where the opposition is coming from so they can brace themselves. AFL is a 360 degree sport where they often get caught/hit unawares from any direction on the field. In addition AFL is a much faster paced game where collisions are often similar to a car crash. League is a much slower paced sport where the collisions are largely more calculated & anticipated.
No one even mentioned League. We were talking about union. A much different game.

They are twice as big as AFL players and their backs would leave most of our guys for dead in a foot race.

And they can still be hit from behind or the side.
League/Union same thing
I firmly believe that the world would be a better place without the rugger-buggar. Easily the worst thing about Sin City IMHO. However, it's been explained to me, so that now, even I know the difference between the two viral strains.

Union, is an animals' game played by gentlemen.

League, is a gentlemen's game... played by animals.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Time to take this thread seriously. Really pertinent article posted by Bowey Boy in another thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97141