I'm not convinced about Al....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm not convinced about Al....

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
SainterK wrote:OK we won

but you couldn't argue that they walk out there like they've been on the end of the bulldogs/luke beveridge style of coaching...self assured and confident that they do make up the best 22?
How'd the dogs go today !
Very well considering how young they were....

GWS were the older more experienced side.

You cannot be arguing that the dogs aren't being coached very, very well?
They're two years ahead of us. Who was coaching Dogs two years ago?

I'm still not concerned about Al....
Im even less convinced after tonights effort. I cant see the systems and we look so disorganized forward of centre its comical....

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
Im even less convinced after tonights effort. I cant see the systems and we look so disorganized forward of centre its comical....
You sound like you thought we'd play finals this year.
We're on the right track with the right coach!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Will the blowtorch come soon?

Alan Richardson
Total games coached 55
Wins 14 Losses 40
25.5%

Justin Leppitsch
Total games coached 55
Wins 12 Losses 43
21.8%

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Will the blowtorch come soon?

Alan Richardson
Total games coached 55
Wins 14 Losses 40
25.5%

Justin Leppitsch
Total games coached 55
Wins 12 Losses 43
21.8%
SainterK, this comparative statistic doesn't hold a lot of validity. Richo was always going to be in for an abundance of losses. I would say Brisbane's situation with Leppitsch has a much greater level of concern.

We won't know how well Richo has gone until sometime next year. Despite today's miserable performance, we're still getting warmer. Keep the faith!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

It depends. If you mean "blowtorch" as in the meaningless metaphor espoused by the media, and the foot stomping finger pointing fans... then yes.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Do you ever hold people accountable Satch?

I like your posts, but come on now be serious, make a big call.

Why isn't he under any real pressure, why should he be exempt?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think the coach is safe for another 15 months but the long standing Assistants - Kingsley and Sexton might need to look elsewhere. We keep hearing the old chestnut that these two are 'well regarded in AFL circles' but where does this actually truly come from? The club? Their mums? Smacks of PR spin to me.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Look at the list he inherited after Ro$$y and Watters. It was been incredibly hard yakka since 2014 to build this team, virtually from boys to men. I don't know about you, but this year (apart from three games) I have noticed a huge improvement. Right now, we are unlcuky to not be 6-5. I think what we need is a few more wins this season and a good scalp. I agree, Richo should be held accountable for the bad losses, but we seem to be able to bounce back from them. If we lose badly to mediocre teams, e.g. Richmond, then I think the hard questions will be asked upon Richo.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Maybe, just maybe, he hasn't quite got the cattle yet. Maybe he's actually been doing a good job with what he has. I can't quite work out the vast differences in some of our performances. I'm scratching my head.

Saintsational Legend

Would appear to me we're not really interested in interstate games. Twice we've gone in undersized or underdone down back.

Goddard is overweight and nowhere near AFL level yet. Tom Lee will play next week and probably the rest of the year.

Nothing wrong with the coach. We are rebuilding! It takes time! Young teams have great games and shockers. Today was a shocker, but we've played eight good games and three shockers. Not bad in my opinion.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Do you ever hold people accountable Satch?

Alan is absolutely held accountable. As is everyone in the organisation. Who says he's not under pressure?

If I'M making the call, then it would be to deal with the situation rationally. That would mean internally. The public stuff is always PR.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:Maybe, just maybe, he hasn't quite got the cattle yet. Maybe he's actually been doing a good job with what he has. I can't quite work out the vast differences in some of our performances. I'm scratching my head.
The lack of depth in our midfield and defence is apparent, but I wouldn't say that it's any worse than Carlton's.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
8856brother wrote:Maybe, just maybe, he hasn't quite got the cattle yet. Maybe he's actually been doing a good job with what he has. I can't quite work out the vast differences in some of our performances. I'm scratching my head.
The lack of depth in our midfield and defence is apparent, but I wouldn't say that it's any worse than Carlton's.
I reckon they may have been in similar trouble today, certainly Melbourne or Collingwoopd would have received a spanking today. However, why Sloan was continually allowed to run onto the ball at the centre bounce, why we pressed way to early, or why or forward line spread to the pocket and left no-one at home, surely these are coaching issues rather than cattle issues???

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Look at the list he inherited after Ro$$y and Watters. It was been incredibly hard yakka since 2014 to build this team, virtually from boys to men. I don't know about you, but this year (apart from three games) I have noticed a huge improvement. Right now, we are unlcuky to not be 6-5. I think what we need is a few more wins this season and a good scalp. I agree, Richo should be held accountable for the bad losses, but we seem to be able to bounce back from them. If we lose badly to mediocre teams, e.g. Richmond, then I think the hard questions will be asked upon Richo.
You make a balance point, but those honourable losses against the Hawks and Roos are starting to seem like a long time ago.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
yallingup saints
Club Player

You know why they didn't think they could win Alan? Because you didn't learn from the west coast debacle. A back line of dwarfs was never gonna work. Do you really think our midfield is better than theirs? Are you gonna give a game to Tom Lee Delaney next weekend or play a couple a couple of half back flankers again. Beaten at the selection table and your players knew about before the ball was bounced. You are responsible for this one.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
SainterK wrote:Do you ever hold people accountable Satch?

Alan is absolutely held accountable. As is everyone in the organisation. Who says he's not under pressure?

If I'M making the call, then it would be to deal with the situation rationally. That would mean internally. The public stuff is always PR.
I am trying to be rational.

I've seen signs that indicate to me it's not all wonderful.

I haven't said sack him, I just said I need convincing.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

yallingup saints wrote:You know why they didn't think they could win Alan? Because you didn't learn from the west coast debacle. A back line of dwarfs was never gonna work. Do you really think our midfield is better than theirs? Are you gonna give a game to Tom Lee Delaney next weekend or play a couple a couple of half back flankers again. Beaten at the selection table and your players knew about before the ball was bounced. You are responsible for this one.
Selecting like-for-like didn't work so well today did it? Size isn't the issue, it's structure...otherwise we'd just find tall athletes to do the job.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: I haven't said sack him, I just said I need convincing.
Unlikely to happen on both counts! :P

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think the coach is safe for another 15 months but the long standing Assistants - Kingsley and Sexton might need to look elsewhere. We keep hearing the old chestnut that these two are 'well regarded in AFL circles' but where does this actually truly come from? The club? Their mums? Smacks of PR spin to me.
Totally agree Con - if they are that highly regarded they wont have problems finding work else where. Get someone from Hawthorn like Ratten and another from Sydney or another recently successful club.

The other for me is why have so many of the kids stagnated or gone backwards. That guy from WA that is the Development Corodinator can go also.

yallingup saints
Club Player

I didn't see any like for like selection this week, fill me in. It's not about picking athletes it's about picking someone who is at least comparable in size.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

yallingup saints wrote:You know why they didn't think they could win Alan? Because you didn't learn from the west coast debacle. A back line of dwarfs was never gonna work. Do you really think our midfield is better than theirs? Are you gonna give a game to Tom Lee Delaney next weekend or play a couple a couple of half back flankers again. Beaten at the selection table and your players knew about before the ball was bounced. You are responsible for this one.
Has some merit I suggested we should have brough in Lee as well as Goddard and drop Gilbert, obviously didnt happen. I do think at this point in time Richo has lost the players confidence, but thats to say he cant win it back. He is obviously a very likeable person, a good teacher but I doubt his motivational and match day abilities. There is no doubt his biase towards some players has restricted the sides match ups at the selection table.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Alan Richardson
Total games coached 55
Wins 14 Losses 40
25.5%

Justin Leppitsch
Total games coached 55
Wins 12 Losses 43
21.8%
How about plotting the wins and losses at the end of the season and comparing them to previous years. No point comparing him to other coaches. They have no bearing on his future.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
Has some merit I suggested we should have brough in Lee as well as Goddard and drop Gilbert, obviously didnt happen. I do think at this point in time Richo has lost the players confidence, but thats to say he cant win it back. He is obviously a very likeable person, a good teacher but I doubt his motivational and match day abilities. There is no doubt his biase towards some players has restricted the sides match ups at the selection table.
Gilbert is playing like he's on his last legs. He hasn't had a very good year.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:

Alan Richardson
Total games coached 55
Wins 14 Losses 40
25.5%

Justin Leppitsch
Total games coached 55
Wins 12 Losses 43
21.8%
How about plotting the wins and losses at the end of the season and comparing them to previous years. No point comparing him to other coaches. They have no bearing on his future.
Actually I wasn't comparing so much as predicting the blowtorch will come....

and it is, having a quick glance

degruch
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Gilbert is playing like he's on his last legs. He hasn't had a very good year.
You're kidding? Obviously he's no spring chicken, but he's had about 2-3 average games this year, and today wasn't one of them.