Saints no elite players (Champion Data)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ripplug66
Club Player

Re: Saints no elite players (Champion Data)

IanRush wrote:Champion Data is owned by Simon Lethlean and Andrew Dillon at the AFL is it not? I’d be taking their data with a grain of salt! There was some kerfuffle late last year about how the AFL wanted its in-house statistical team to supply data for all 18 teams.

Please stop with this rubbish. How about giving us a football opinion for a change. CD is fantastic for stats. I just completely disagree in this case.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

ripplug66 wrote:
IanRush wrote:Champion Data is owned by Simon Lethlean and Andrew Dillon at the AFL is it not? I’d be taking their data with a grain of salt! There was some kerfuffle late last year about how the AFL wanted its in-house statistical team to supply data for all 18 teams.

Please stop with this rubbish. How about giving us a football opinion for a change. CD is fantastic for stats. I just completely disagree in this case.
OK, I want less NBA style ‘zoning play’ in modern footy, where 30 blokes crowd around the ball........... and I want to go back to the more free flowing, one-on-one style of game I remember from the mid 1980s to the late 1990s, when I kicked the footy in the street with my neighbours and we used to try and torp the ball through my neighbours driveway at the end of the court bowl.

If St Kilda led that charge to being back old footy, I’d be most happy.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
ripplug66
Club Player

IanRush wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

OK, I want less NBA style ‘zoning play’ in modern footy, where 30 blokes crowd around the ball........... and I want to go back to the more free flowing, one-on-one style of game I remember from the mid 1980s to the late 1990s, when I kicked the footy in the street with my neighbours and we used to try and torp the ball through my neighbours driveway at the end of the court bowl.

If St Kilda led that charge to being back old footy, I’d be most happy.

Unfortunately if we lead the charge to that type of footy we wouldn't win a game.

The_Merchant
Club Player

All of the teams already use champion data for stats, they are the only real option for comprehensive afl stats regardless of who they are owned by. The issues last year were around the supply of GPS data where the AFL attempted to mandate which gps data supplier the clubs should use. This would have caused massive issues for the clubs around historical data. The AFL eventually saw reason and reversed the arrangement.

I am not sure why the owners of champion data matter when it comes to stat analysis, are you suggesting that the afl is conspiring with champion data to cook the books for some unknown reason?

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:
All of the teams already use champion data for stats, they are the only real option for comprehensive afl stats regardless of who they are owned by. The issues last year were around the supply of GPS data where the AFL attempted to mandate which gps data supplier the clubs should use. This would have caused massive issues for the clubs around historical data. The AFL eventually saw reason and reversed the arrangement.

I am not sure why the owners of champion data matter when it comes to stat analysis, are you suggesting that the afl is conspiring with champion data to cook the books for some unknown reason?
It's probably more what formula are they using to devise who goes into the "elite" category. I mean Bruce kicked 50 goals in a bottom team. I think they must put a lot of emphasis on accuracy of disposal which would explain why Armo and Steven aren't included. But accurate doesn't mean incisive or damaging.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Vazelos wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
spert wrote:I've been waiting for Steven to take the next step, but I don't think it's going to happen, same for Armo. We haven't really developed players that well in recent years- many seem to have the goods, but never go the next step. We seriously need elite on the midfield.

Steven has just about taken the big step. 2 B&F in his last 2 years when he was fit. I don't know what people expect. I wouldn't take notice of these champion data stats to decide. Steven looks like a ordinary kick but because we are struggling he is told to take the game on That means turnovers occasionally. With more depth in the midfield he wont be trying the improbable as much.
Spot on plugger. You nailed what should be obvious to these 'experts.'
Yes, also agree

mickey
Club Player

I've got this feeling that there are 4 Jacks that are going to become our elites quicker than you all think (you all probably know anyway) ... Billings is coming !!! Sinclair just has something about him, he oozes class. Lonie is Milney & Stevens is proven & will only get better.

Richo & his team are building some exciting times for us all, we just need some luck that has always deserted us.

It might even be the Mc's McKenzie, McCartin or McGoddard that show them all up !!!

Stuff champion data ...... get some game time into them, let them grow up together & start putting some new numbers on the back of our kids guernseys.

The Pres, Finniss , Richo & Roo are doing a great job.

Go Sainters !

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt not elite?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Riewoldt not elite?
And this is the chicken and egg thing. Rooey isn't going to get the ball service to bump him up to elite and is the player other clubs still focus on shutting down as he can win the game off his own boot. When you have a team full of strong players they all benefit. So you take these lists with big grains of salt.

resaintlee
Club Player

There are four in the next level. Who are the other two?

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think people are kidding themselves if they can't spot the difference between a very good player and an elite player. Steven and Armo are very good players for us, but no way elite.

ripplug66
Club Player

spert wrote:I think people are kidding themselves if they can't spot the difference between a very good player and an elite player. Steven and Armo are very good players for us, but no way elite.

Well it depends on Elite doesn't it. Shane Edwards was said to be elite. Harley Bennell may look elite but Jack has him covered so far in his career. 2 B&F suggests he is bloody close to elite. Its hard to fluke 2 of them no matter how poor the side is. Actually it would be interesting to look at the last 50 years of the footy club and see who has won 2 or more who we consider not elite. There would be bugger all.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't personally consider jack elite, but if they're casting the net as far wide as Bennell and Edwards, then s*** sure he's elite!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stats never matter if they don't tell you the story you want to hear...

However

When they suit, they are then labelled evidence.