Mitch Clark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mitch Clark

While AFL clubs are now generally risk averse, I believe in order to compete with GWS and GC in coming years - don't forget, they've got 25 gun prospects each and we've got about 10 - we're going to have to take some low-cost, high-reward risks.

Brisbane had Martin Pyke, Hawthorn had Brian Lake, Geelong had Cameron Mooney, Collingwood had Leigh Brown, Sydney have had more than I can count.

Good clubs can rehabilitate troubled players, but only if their culture is spot on.

I wouldn't give up too much for Brown, but I'd certainly give him a chance if the opportunity arose to grab him at the right price.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

FQF
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:While AFL clubs are now generally risk averse, I believe in order to compete with GWS and GC in coming years - don't forget, they've got 25 gun prospects each and we've got about 10 - we're going to have to take some low-cost, high-reward risks.

Brisbane had Martin Pyke, Hawthorn had Brian Lake, Geelong had Cameron Mooney, Collingwood had Leigh Brown, Sydney have had more than I can count.

Good clubs can rehabilitate troubled players, but only if their culture is spot on.

I wouldn't give up too much for Brown, but I'd certainly give him a chance if the opportunity arose to grab him at the right price.
You mean Clarke?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:At this moment, with the current state of self-belief felt in the squad, I'm wondering just how good a move it would be for either party?
Exactly.

Playing for us could not be good for those with depression. Heck, it's hard enough for us supports who are fine!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he won't be the same as the player we remember.

Since getting injured and assuming he'll be on an AFL list next year it'll be nearly 2 years since he played (injured rnd 4 2013).

I just don't think it will be that easy for him to return and play as well as he did before. That's where I see the risk.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Did Mitch Clark retire due to injuries, depression or substance abuse?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Did Mitch Clark retire due to injuries, depression or substance abuse?
well...at least two of those were a factor...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:LLF I tend to agree morally that he should return to Melbourne - but what if he ends up at the SAINTS via the PSD? Which has been stated as a strong possibility this morning on SEN. I believe if he doesn't want return to Melbourne (what ever reason) he needs to come out and make a public statement as to the reasons why. I believe in 'footy karma' and if he ended up with us it would be a big slice of bad karma that would no doubt later come back to bite the club ! Please tread very carefully Sainters....
Agree
We have recruited so many mature age players in the last ten years who have been a complete waste of money , would he be any different ?
Have you seen him play?
I have and I've seen him tear us apart when he played for the Lions.
Would want to absolutely ensure he's got his issues well and truly under control and that his body is 100% right to go.

Even with all that it's a massive gamble.

More massive than Siposs, Simpkin, Minchington. Yes he will cost a lot more but we must pay 95% of the SC and at the moemnt I cant possibly see how we do that without getting a bigger name in. Just grab the guy if he is interested and mentally oK.

Sainterman
Club Player

Is he interested? Has he shown any interest in St Kilda at all?

Did something happen with Melbourne that means he doesn't want to return there should he come back?

Sorry, just a little confused as to why we are entertaining the idea of him coming to St Kilda...

FQF
SS Life Member

Sainterman wrote:Is he interested? Has he shown any interest in St Kilda at all?

Did something happen with Melbourne that means he doesn't want to return there should he come back?

Sorry, just a little confused as to why we are entertaining the idea of him coming to St Kilda...
Well we have the first pick in the PSD, he lives in Melbourne, we can offer him good money and a good playing group to play together with. He won't be the sole forward getting the first defender, and we have a respected coach.

I don't know why he would not repay Melbourne though - I'd like to know more because from the outside looking in it seems like the right thing to do would be to play for them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Sainterman wrote:Is he interested? Has he shown any interest in St Kilda at all?

Well we have the first pick in the PSD, he lives in Melbourne, we can offer him good money and a good playing group to play together with. He won't be the sole forward getting the first defender, and we have a respected coach.

I don't know why he would not repay Melbourne though - I'd like to know more because from the outside looking in it seems like the right thing to do would be to play for them.

Have people actually thought that they may not want him anymore. Im not saying i know or dont know but that maybe the case.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Have people actually thought that they may not want him anymore. Im not saying i know or dont know but that maybe the case.
Doesn't seem that way:

"This decision by Mitch to investigate the potential of returning to play AFL is something we would expect Mitch to discuss with us," Demons football manager Josh Mahoney told the AFL website.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... 0dkpu.html

#gosaintas
Club Player

Of course we should get him

starsign
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:Of course we should get him
+1!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Did Mitch Clark retire due to injuries, depression or substance abuse?

Interesting.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:

Doesn't seem that way:

"This decision by Mitch to investigate the potential of returning to play AFL is something we would expect Mitch to discuss with us," Demons football manager Josh Mahoney told the AFL website.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... 0dkpu.html
Despite the protests, I think losing Mitch Clark for nothing (as a high profile recruit) would be pretty high on Melbourne's "Reasons We Should Get A Priority Pick" list they submit to the AFL.

Not sure which one they'd prefer more, Clark back as the player he showed he could be, or a pretty highly rated youngster with a fresh start?? The answer to this question may determine how far the Dees push it with retaining Clark on their list.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:

Interesting.
This is not the first I've heard of that possibility.

And the fact that all three of the above could be interrelated.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

Interesting.

I heard someone saying it was gambling addiction. More alluding to it like it was the real issue.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think there's something more than meets the eye.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think there's something more than meets the eye.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I think there's something more than meets the eye.

Or the poor guy could have had bad depression. I usually choose to beleive the good in people so i will go with that based on a Ormond boy at melbourne telling my mate that is fact in his opinion.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Or the poor guy could have had bad depression. I usually choose to beleive the good in people so i will go with that based on a Ormond boy at melbourne telling my mate that is fact in his opinion.
Maybe you're right.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

Interesting.

If it was the latter, I would doubt that Dees would have paid him out in full like they did.

Indeed I would be guessing that drugs would be an "out-clause" for clubs in the contracts.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Agreed.

He does have the right to choose where he takes his talents (ala LeBron) however the fact that he came from the Dees and the Dees are terrible, it adds spice to the story.

In the end, his mental illness needs to be taken at face value. I hope he is ok and football is part of his longer-term rehab.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:

Interesting.

If it was the latter, I would doubt that Dees would have paid him out in full like they did.

Indeed I would be guessing that drugs would be an "out-clause" for clubs in the contracts.
Did they pay him out in full? Surely not.

FQF
SS Life Member

Reportedly looking like he'll be at Hawthorn. Surprise surprise.