Josh Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Bruce

saint-stu wrote:Image
another good young clean cut aussie boy... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
oldie60
Club Player

Josh's haircut not much difference to some the players that played in the 20's and 30's. Just google some images of guys like Coventry, Collier, Reynolds and shaved sides were all the rage. Seriously its the quality of the person not his friggin haircut.Maybe at this years draft camp they can inspect kids on their haircuts regardless of how good they are. Maybe we should also drop Templeton as well.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Rocking the ponytail oh dear

luc1966
Club Player

Will be a player

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Dropped a few marks tonight. I noticed last week too he had a few go through his hands. But he's hard working. He's earned his spot in the team but need to see more of him.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Bit poorer than just that. He flubbed a few sitters, spoiled other defenders in better positions and was well below standard. Cam Shenton should be getting a go.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Hemi Baxter wrote:Bit poorer than just that. He flubbed a few sitters, spoiled other defenders in better positions and was well below standard. Cam Shenton should be getting a go.
Harsh assessment. Shenton is a midget compared to Bruce, so its a strange argument, Bruce being there straightens us up well especially vs the big boys. As for the big men down back, the only player who I would say was poor today was Delaney, who had a pretty poor game.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Hemi Baxter wrote:Bit poorer than just that. He flubbed a few sitters, spoiled other defenders in better positions and was well below standard. Cam Shenton should be getting a go.
Rubbish, so how did Merrett go? He got 6 disposals, in fact in the past two weeks tall forwards have not had a lot of success against us . Both Delaney and Bruce have done very well. By the way Cam Shenton is only 188cm he is certainly not a key defender.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

here here Mad Dog, i felt bruce Delaney and the man of Dempster played bloody well considering the amount of time it was in the D50.........

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
Harsh assessment. Shenton is a midget compared to Bruce, so its a strange argument, Bruce being there straightens us up well especially vs the big boys. As for the big men down back, the only player who I would say was poor today was Delaney, who had a pretty poor game.
Point taken about the height difference but I'd rather watch someone who can mark the ball, kick it, break the lines and bring some class to a pretty basic back line.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I think the defenders did a creditable job ,the ball was hard to mark as it was slippery conditions!

PADDLEPOP1000
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I liked Bruce's intensity last night. Great addition to the team. He didn't sit back and wait for his teammates to get the job done. He took the game on in the dying minutes and helped create opportunities for the boys to win.

He's a Gilbo who can kick and in time might go as well as Chips...with experience I reckon he will be one of the best CHB going round.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I liked Bruce's intensity last night. Great addition to the team. He didn't sit back and wait for his teammates to get the job done. He took the game on in the dying minutes and helped create opportunities for the boys to win.

He's a Gilbo who can kick and he reads the game as well as Chips...with experience I reckon he will be one of the best CHB going round.

Surely the bottom statement couldn't be further off the mark.

Bruce's current weakness is his kicking, as detailed by the VFL coaches and observers.

And to say he reads the game as well as Fisher, an absolute star of the competition at his best is a bit of an insult to him. Bruce has played a handful of games.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

No. 25 is one of my favourite players. Agree Chips at his best was an absolute star and I edited my post 10 seconds after re-reading it. I edited it before you posted.

As far as what other observers and coaches are saying about him...That's like looking at the weather for last week to see what you're going to wear tonight. I know what I observed last night. Bruce's kicking under pressure for a guy who's played a handful of games seemed v good

gringo
Saintsational Legend

His kicking can be messy but he's been good in the seniors. I hope he's as good as all that. He gets a lot of possession for a very tall player and that in it's self makes him unique like Gilbo. I think that might be an oxymoron or something calling him "unique like someone" but you know what I mean.

Mohr from GWS plays a similar attacking tall back role that combine a KP with a more mobile runner.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Amongst all the other player types we need, i hope the Pelican and his band of merry men are looking at drafting another tall defender and a decent tall forward to take over from when he's done.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Amongst all the other player types we need, i hope the Pelican and his band of merry men are looking at drafting another tall defender and a decent tall forward to take over from when he's done.

Goddard and wright would be nice. At least GWS must have their cupboard full of tall by now so we should be able to get one good one. hopefully. Durdin and Lever worthy players too.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-18/w ... t-no1-pick

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As most of us realize, the most precious commodities the club can have at this stage of our history is patience and tenacity; on both sides of the fence. The players and coaches need to be patient enough to accept that it will take more than the first six rounds of the season, for this side to be effectively competing to be a top eight side again. They will also have to possess the tenacity to stick fast when it gets tough. Now, I don't know about the rest of you folks, but if the Coaches and players are prepared to display these characteristics, then by Gum so will I! Josh Bruce, (IMHO) has the potential to be a gun defender for us, as I say; POTENTIAL, it aint gonna happen overnight (to quote Dr Pantene) but if Delaney and Bruce can get enough games with Chips & Jimmy Gwilt playing alongside them, I'd humbly suggest that we have the makings of a darn fine defence.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintbob
SS Life Member

I've really liked the look of Bruce so far, and Leon Cameron rated this kid fairly highly and was quite pissed when he left GWS!!!

supersaints
Club Player

As we all should know by now, key position defenders don't grow on trees.

We gave a pair of bookends now, ongoing development should see Bruce abd Delaney become our " pillars in defence" over the coming years.

Lot to like about Bruce ... Even dont mind the slightly crazy hair doo

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
mick13
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Scollop wrote:I liked Bruce's intensity last night. Great addition to the team. He didn't sit back and wait for his teammates to get the job done. He took the game on in the dying minutes and helped create opportunities for the boys to win.

He's a Gilbo who can kick and he reads the game as well as Chips...with experience I reckon he will be one of the best CHB going round.

Surely the bottom statement couldn't be further off the mark.

Bruce's current weakness is his kicking, as detailed by the VFL coaches and observers.

And to say he reads the game as well as Fisher, an absolute star of the competition at his best is a bit of an insult to him. Bruce has played a handful of games.
No doubt his kicking was off at times in the VFL. But jeez it's improved since the intra-club match.

Actually rated his kicking quite highly the past two weeks.

Definitely doesn't mind dashing off the HB line. We've put up with close to a decade of 50:50 kicking with Gilbo. Should at least give Bruce a couple games :P

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

was he dropped tonight or injured?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dropped.

It's going to be very wet... They obviously want stronger bodies of Simpkin, Gwilt, Dempster and Delaney

For Rough, Hale, Gunston, Shiels

Cyril possibly Geary, although Cyril in one of his rare highlight games got a hold of Jarryn and kicked a bag on him?!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

better for the Saints if it's wet. At least they won't cop a 100 pt hiding

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Surely he was only dropped because of the weather forecast.

I was more than happy with his output do far.