How far off resurge are we ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

suss
Club Player

Re: How far off resurge are we ?

plugger66 wrote:
Munga wrote:I think we could be a sneaky chance for a premiership in 2015. Add another two years recruiting, and Riewoldt, Fisher, Schneider possibly in their last year, Monty and Dal a year off retiring, and hopefully the rest of the list developed in to good footballers, we could be a chance. After 2015 there's a lot of talent gone. Question is, are more talented people coming in?

I know people will say i am being negative but we are more hope of being on the bottom in 2015 than winning the flag. We will finish lower next year than this year and I cant see how we could improve much the following year. Im hoping 2014 is our bottom out year but I really think it will be 2015.
Agree. If think if we draft well and everything goes right we can be a force again in 2017. We're gunna suck 2014/15 but we can accumulate some really good kids in the next 3 years. We might need to use free agency or pinch a couple from GWS and GCS to top up the list but I'd prefer we take our time to get it right.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Window opens in 2015. This year a write-off and I'd hope the trend is upwards by the end of next.
The air will be pretty stale by 2015.

We won't bottom out, should be back in finals contention next year. For goodness sake half the comp play finals (I'm not counting GC and GWS).
Are you on the turps??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Window opens in 2015. This year a write-off and I'd hope the trend is upwards by the end of next.
The air will be pretty stale by 2015.

We won't bottom out, should be back in finals contention next year. For goodness sake half the comp play finals (I'm not counting GC and GWS).
Are you on the turps??
Always, but you know I'm right

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon back at the helm.

Happy days... :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
Griggsy
SS Life Member

5 years if picks come good and snag a good free agent.

more like 8 years to challenge a flag though, core youth not yet at the club would be hitting the right amount of games experience.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:5 years if picks come good and snag a good free agent.

more like 8 years to challenge a flag though, core youth not yet at the club would be hitting the right amount of games experience.
8 years???????

shut the doors now then FFS.

“Yeah….nah””
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

It was only 4 years from 2000 to 2004.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Plenty of sides have missed the finals for the better part of a decade... Once you are out, it can be very difficult to get back in.

It could be our turn, hold onto your hats.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
Griggsy wrote:5 years if picks come good and snag a good free agent.

8 years???????

shut the doors now then FFS.

Meant 8 years for a flag, finals sooner.

Everyone raves about Eagles coming back quick but they started rebuild in 08 so they are in their 6th season and are looking out of it this season. Looking at their fixture may only just scape into the 8

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I need a drink.

“Yeah….nah””
Greg T
Club Player

It's been 47 years now,what's another 8 years .....it's just depressing......

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think the question is how many good players off are we.

I mean if we get 6 new guns next year we might only be a year off.

if we get 20 years of duds we might be 50 years off.

Assuming we losing 6 good players in the next 2 years - then we need 8 good players to improve .

groupie1
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Does a re surge follow a rebuild...oops I mean rejuvenation...oops again...I meant re-invigoration...ok I'm confused, what are we doing.
Let's be bullish:

Newnes, Siposs, Ross, Wright, Webster, Stanley, Murdoch, Saunders, Hickey get 15 games in and then another pre-season.

Roo & Hayes play on.

Spencer White plays at the back end of the season.

Markworth is ready to go next year. As is Tom Lee.

The stalwarts don't get worse: Joey, Dal, Gwilt, Dempster, etc

And with retirements we get some salary cap cash, add some 24-25 year old midfield depth, a key defender and the best picks we can.... 2014 commence a climb back upward; with a genuine chance in 2015 (when Hawks, Pies, Cats windows close).

The Geelong/Sydney model.... not the Richmond model

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think the question is how many good players off are we.

I mean if we get 6 new guns next year we might only be a year off.

if we get 20 years of duds we might be 50 years off.

Assuming we losing 6 good players in the next 2 years - then we need 8 good players to improve .

Impossible to get 6 guns in a year. Doubt we will go for a FA so maybe one gun in a trade and another in the draft but even if we got 4 in the draft it will most of them 3 years to make an impact. look at GC and GWS. GC coming good now in their 3rd year and sill a fair way off and they really did get guns. GWS still struggling. They are another 2 off winning 8 games in a season let alone challenging.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Pushing for the 8 and challenging for top 4 are two different things. The former can happen earlier.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Pushing for the 8 and challenging for top 4 are two different things. The former can happen earlier.

It can but we are still on the way down and then we have to wait for most players to play around 50 games before we come up again and that is only if they are good enough. Surely most see us struggling badly in the next 2 years when we lose Milne and Hayes and the older players get worse through age like Dal, Rooy, Joey and Fisher.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Pushing for the 8 and challenging for top 4 are two different things. The former can happen earlier.

It can but we are still on the way down and then we have to wait for most players to play around 50 games before we come up again and that is only if they are good enough. Surely most see us struggling badly in the next 2 years when we lose Milne and Hayes and the older players get worse through age like Dal, Rooy, Joey and Fisher.
We just need better assistant coaches. It's all Dean's fault.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Pretty sure Ross sent him in as a double agent.

spert
Saintsational Legend

After Sunday I would say we are a long way off. The midfield is plodding, and we need an injection of life into the forward line. Can't really see much happening for a couple of years if we are lucky, and maybe we can do more work at the recruiting table.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Nah lets bring back John Barker....... cause good assistants don't add much... do they?
Maybe we don't need any at all and the rebuild just goes on auto pilot??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Thank god Milney's keeping us afloat so far this year.... we'd be stuffed without him leading the Coleman.... He has to be what 10-15 goals ahead of Saad right now? Not to mention the tackle count difference.

Yep, world is gonna look mighty different when we stop seeing Milney's influence........ !

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I suspect we'll stay at this 13th-16th mark for another three or four years before pushing for the finals, then hopefully being a premiership contender a couple of years after that. So by 2018 I think we'll be a finals side.

We just don't have enough quality players in/reaching their prime over the next few years to really change our position. Lenny and Milne should probably retire at the end of the year (along with Kosi, Blake and Jones retiring/delisted). Roo might only have one more year after this and is a knee injury away from retirement. Dal isn't the player he used to be. Joey looks capable of another few years of good footy as long as he doesn't lose his pace.

I'd say a footballers prime years are 24-28. In 2015 our "core" in their prime will be the following

Gwilt 28
Gilbert 28
Armitage 26
Geary 26
McEvoy 25
Saad 25
Steven 25
Simpkin 24
Stanley 24
Lee 24
Hickey 24

There are some decent enough players there, but it is a long way off being a premiership core. Compare that to 2009 in Riewoldt, Hayes, Goddard, Milne, Ball, Dal Santo, Montagna, Fisher, Schneider, Koschitzke, Gardiner, Gram, Baker, Hudghton. We just don't have the A-grade talent on the list yet. I'd say no one over 26 will be a part of our next finals side.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Look, as long as we can jag a few more mercurial small forwards that don't tackle (preferably from WA) we should be right by as early as next year.

We should be looking at both Davies, all three Jetta's, Ballantyne, Walters, Green, Rioli, Didak, Krakour, Fasolo, Betts, Garlett.

Probably a few good ones in the WAFL that I don't know about too.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Well said Dragit

I also think we need another WA assistant cause they got "the best" over there

Is Mark Harvey free??

“Yeah….nah””
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Dear God, there's some candidates for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on here...........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!