How far off resurge are we ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

How far off resurge are we ?

It is interesting to look at what this side needs to recruit/develop over the next few years to be able to make a run at finals while the veterans are still around.

Roo, Montagna, Dal, Fisher all look like they will be able to contribute for 3-4 more seasons.

Stanley needs to develop in to a Harry Taylor type player across half back - Taylor was a mature age recruit so in some ways Stanley not that far behind of him at a similar stage. We do need a monster back and i know Brown has been mentioned but his lack of Senior footy does raise a few questions. Gwilt can play on 3rd talls and provide run also, as may simpkins.

The midfield is the issue and the need for an A grader. I can only see Armitage and Steven being B+ type mids , which combined with some of the young guys like Murdoch, Saunders, Ross along with Monty and Dal does start to develop depth but lacks class.

I know there is a big trouble question mark over his head but Dustin Martin is out of contract this seasons end and i think one we should have a crack at .

The ruck for the first time i can remember has a future with McEvoy ( future captain) and Hickey.

Mid size runners from defence in Geary, Wright, Roberton, Gilbert (bigger than mid size) Dempster, Webster , Newness provide a few options.

Forward Roo can play for years to come , even taking a Richo type role in the wing at times if needed. Lee needs to develop as does Siposs ,and Saad, Milera, DL, need to become more consistant with effort and defensive pressure. Again a lack of class here really hurts. The need for a Motlop/ Stevie J/ Cyril cries out to be addressed.

We can expect an early draft pick this season ( i know a lot of the good 17 year olds are already gone) but a quality mid or classy mid forward seem to me to be the main areas lacking.

Guys like Fergusson, White, Markworth may develop but really sight unseen at this stage.

So to bring in it is an A midfielder, Big defender and classy half forward along with improvement in young talent I could see allow the group to make a push back up within 2 years losing only Hayes, Milne, Kosi, Schnieder, Blake from the current list.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: How far off resurge are we ?

Window opens in 2015. This year a write-off and I'd hope the trend is upwards by the end of next.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Hard to tell....have not hit lowset ebb yet

Milne/Hayes/Fisher/Roo etc to retire next 2 years

2014/2015 could be very lean years

cannot see how people think window opens in 2015

we may slowly climb from 2015 but when our next chance..............could be years away

saint4life
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yep, the rebuild is now in full swing. It's all about developing the younger players and giving them the experience they require to mature at the top level.

Midfield is certainly a big concern. So is a forward line. After Roo departs we are certainly going to need at least a couple of guys to really step up by then. The other guys up forward simply aren't cutting the mustard right now. My guess is Milera and Maister will be gone come end of year. Hopefully Saad finds his feet soon because I believe he has the fine touch and good skills required to make a fairly decent small forward.

At this rate, I'd be pretty stoked if we're able to develop a new team worthy of playing finals by 2015. But in reality, I can't see it happening that soon. Hmmm... more likely to be 2016-17. Whether we can match with the best by then is another question.

Remember, there's a fair chance there'll be plenty of departures by this season's conclusion. This could further slow down the process.
older saint wrote:I know there is a big trouble question mark over his head but Dustin Martin is out of contract this seasons end and i think one we should have a crack at .
Not sure if any of the big name out of contract players will want to come our way. The trend for them is to join a potential powerhouse.

That said, I definitely wouldn't be fussed if we made a play for him. I quite like him as a player. Has some old school mongrel about him. Although, he really should do away with those knife and fork haircuts.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We really need to recruit well this year and next when the Draft Pool is "Above Average" (how far above average is still the subject of debate). It then depends on how well/quickly we can develop them (Normally takes 3-4 years at least). We also need to be prepared to fire a few "Blanks" in these Drafts as well. If we can snare a "GENUINE" Top 10 pick in both of the next 2 Drafts, along with a couple of "Above Average" 2nd and 3rd Round picks and maybe a hidden gem or 2 we "MIGHT" be looking Okay by about 2018.

For mine, 2014 will be our "Bottom Out" year, 2015 will be a "Transition" year with most/all of our aging stars going/gone, 2016 we will tread water, 2017 we will see some real improvement and 2018 will be a year to get excited about !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

noob
Club Player

On the way up in 2017. A few Brisbane Lions like years to come.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Does a re surge follow a rebuild...oops I mean rejuvenation...oops again...I meant re-invigoration...ok I'm confused, what are we doing.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Nick Riewoldt does not have 4 seasons left.

Unless something special happens at the draft/Trade table

Not in the foreseeable future will we play finals..... Other teams in front in the queue

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Nick Riewoldt does not have 4 seasons left.

Unless something special happens at the draft/Trade table

Not in the foreseeable future will we play finals..... Other teams in front in the queue

You right about Rooy. he was gone after round one last year.

PJ
SS Life Member

How long is a piece of string?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Does a re surge follow a rebuild...oops I mean rejuvenation...oops again...I meant re-invigoration...ok I'm confused, what are we doing.
'Fresh erection' is the term you are looking for.

5 years if everything goes right I reckon.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

It will get alot worse before it gets better. 2018 before we have genuine crack again...

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:It will get alot worse before it gets better. 2018 before we have genuine crack again...
Agree.

I'd be happy if we next made the finals in 2018.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:It will get alot worse before it gets better. 2018 before we have genuine crack again...
Agree.

I'd be happy if we next made the finals in 2018.
It's quite sobering to think we could be waiting another 5 years for some onfield success. Hopefully patience is a virtue.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I see a bit of WCE about us. We are probably still a mid tier team but with injuries we are down toward the bottom. We should get some decent picks this year and I think Jack Steven is going to be a grade. Wright the next most likely mid field gun. Newnes looks good, Ross quality, Saunders and Murdoch look good too. Armo is a solid B with occasional a grade games. Roberton is going to be a very good player and with the other backs still have a bit of class. Forward we have Lee and White who look likely types.

All in all I think we should be able to get a move on as long as our drafting is sound in the next couple of drafts.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:How long is a piece of string?
Closest to the mark. Unless you are a soothsayer no one knows.

Our membership won't, and shouldn't, put up with sustained failure though, so let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:We really need to recruit well this year and next when the Draft Pool is "Above Average" (how far above average is still the subject of debate). It then depends on how well/quickly we can develop them (Normally takes 3-4 years at least). We also need to be prepared to fire a few "Blanks" in these Drafts as well. If we can snare a "GENUINE" Top 10 pick in both of the next 2 Drafts, along with a couple of "Above Average" 2nd and 3rd Round picks and maybe a hidden gem or 2 we "MIGHT" be looking Okay by about 2018.

For mine, 2014 will be our "Bottom Out" year, 2015 will be a "Transition" year with most/all of our aging stars going/gone, 2016 we will tread water, 2017 we will see some real improvement and 2018 will be a year to get excited about !!
Your time frame is too pessimistic. Richmond bottomed out in 2010 but are sort of in the mix three years later.

Also, why will we "bottom out" next year? We're not exactly setting the world on fire this year and we will probably not win more than 6 games and finish around 15 as most here think.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Beekay
SS Life Member

all depends on list talent. the right structure and processes seem to be in place.

have another 2-3 drafts that reap players of a similar calibre and hunger as:
ross
newmes
wright
saunders
murdoch
webster

2015 could see some exciting signs.

my biggest worry is wanting to win games just to keep members on board. just pump games into the kids. that will keep me on board.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

REckon the end of this year/start of next year is our bottom out. Will probably finish bottom 6 in both of them. The likes of Lee and White have both already been publicly slated as 18 month development programs by the coach, which puts them both as starting to hit hteir straps by mid next season. We will start to show signs of improvement around then, with a probable dip late int eh seson due to younger players fading late in the year. 2015 should see us on the rise.

Look at the kids they are recruiting now - Wright looks like he was ready made, Newnes after one season looks a veteran (without the build). If they keep recruiting like this we will be back in no time. Plus we get Markworth back next year, willl be like an extra recruit except that he will have been able to bulk up this year due to not playing and not burning off the mass gains.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Definitely before 3089. Anything before that, is a bonus.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I think we could be a sneaky chance for a premiership in 2015. Add another two years recruiting, and Riewoldt, Fisher, Schneider possibly in their last year, Monty and Dal a year off retiring, and hopefully the rest of the list developed in to good footballers, we could be a chance. After 2015 there's a lot of talent gone. Question is, are more talented people coming in?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:I think we could be a sneaky chance for a premiership in 2015. Add another two years recruiting, and Riewoldt, Fisher, Schneider possibly in their last year, Monty and Dal a year off retiring, and hopefully the rest of the list developed in to good footballers, we could be a chance. After 2015 there's a lot of talent gone. Question is, are more talented people coming in?

I know people will say i am being negative but we are more hope of being on the bottom in 2015 than winning the flag. We will finish lower next year than this year and I cant see how we could improve much the following year. Im hoping 2014 is our bottom out year but I really think it will be 2015.

Greg T
Club Player

Good topic and very hard to answer.
I don't think we have hit the bottom of the curve,and maybe we won't.
There's a few retirements coming up and how that affects the team is anyone's guess.

Need to really recruit well and hope some of this younger brigade comes on.
While the older blokes are playing well, they need to stay on as long as possible to
Pass on experience and help with the transition.

Meanwhile it seems we a long way off ,other teams will also get better.
Will this younger lot come on as we need them too when the champs are gone?

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Window opens in 2015. This year a write-off and I'd hope the trend is upwards by the end of next.
The air will be pretty stale by 2015.

We won't bottom out, should be back in finals contention next year. For goodness sake half the comp play finals (I'm not counting GC and GWS).

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We need to find the next Jaeger O'Meara. I wish we'd mini drafted him somehow. He is going to be insanely good. 2 of him would could turbo charge your rise- a Natanui would be nice too.