Scotty on the couch tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Greg T
Club Player

Re: Scotty on the couch tonight

SW seems to say the same lines over and over.
The heat will turn up as the excuses for losses run out.
See how handles it then.maybe he will be ok for transition only.
Players never like hard task masters ,as Ross was,but he squeezed the best out of them.
Grant T is the consummate media performer.great speaker/motivator.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
andrewg
Club Player

Nothing wrong with Scott Watters

He knows his football, has fantastic pedigree and can deliver a message to his players.
He understands the importance of development and has an inclusive, open door leadership style which allows for the 'team' to build a 'team' without reliance on an individual.

So far he has done nothing wrong....I would like him to see out a 5-10 year stint. 4 years more of development then 3 premierships from 5 years!

We all know Siposs is a great player but I have a feeling Jimmy Webster might get a run this week in front of TDL.....he is one of many good young kids we can look forward to watching over the next 18 months. Can play off half back on one of the Collingwood younger players (Fasolo) and try to make an impact in a big game.

Would make Terry and Milne sit it out again.....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:SW seems to say the same lines over and over.
Players never like hard task masters ,as Ross was,but he squeezed the best out of them.
Crikey there are some people ready to pull the trigger on a bloke who inherited a list with gaping holes in it. He, Pelchen and co are clearly addressing those holes and it's going to take some time. Don't see him making excuses for losses. We're re-building and it seems to me he's doing a good job of it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

In a way he is just a caretaker coach. I'm not having a crack at SW, quite the opposite really. I think he is doing great work and has a really hard job, mostly the hardest part of his job will be having to manage the media and supporters when things start to get a bit ugly.

The way cycles work in AFL he just wont be around for our next flag tilt, in a way you could say he is our Ratten or Knights.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's staggering that people would criticise the coach based on recent interviews. He's certainly far more articulate than his predecessor, who to me sounded like a guy who left school at 15 and sucked on a bong for the next 25 years.

Last night, Mike Sheahan was gunning for Watters and I thought Watters handled it well. They are really onto him about this apparent re-build statement he made on radio a couple of weeks back. And this constant questioning over Goddard is becoming ridiculous. When are they going to let it go? He left St Kilda 7 months ago, and the question has already been asked multiple times by every journo and football presenter in Melbourne. A bit lazy from Sheahan.

Watters certainly tried to put recent recruiting failures into the frame, which we all understand. Like I've said before, he knows where we're at and thank goodness he's giving these youngsters the opportunity to play.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters is not like Ratten and Knights.

My preference is for him to see it through, and that means at least 7 years at the helm.

spert
Saintsational Legend

You don't rebuild a footy team for a premiership in a few months, it's more like 4-5 years. Watters is still learning, but he doesn't need to be a loud-mouth entertainer as part of the gig. I think he is quite happy for us to stay out of the spotlight while we are transitioning from old to new.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:I feel he twists answers, and lacks a bit of substance in his responses.
That's the point, isn't it? Media 101: answer the question you want to answer, not the one they asked. And don't tell them anything except what you already planned to tell them. I reckon he does it fairly well.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Did any of you watch/listen to the interview?

We are NOT rebuilding (SW says that he never said that) we are rejuvenating.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Did any of you watch/listen to the interview?

What's the difference?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Link is up
But mobile just want to open not provide me with properties

http://m.foxsports.com.au/videos/afl

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saints94
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
Greg T wrote:SW seems to say the same lines over and over.
Crikey there are some people ready to pull the trigger on a bloke who inherited a list with gaping holes in it. He, Pelchen and co are clearly addressing those holes and it's going to take some time. Don't see him making excuses for losses. We're re-building and it seems to me he's doing a good job of it.
Amen!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I thought Scott was FANTASTIC the way he trotted out the stats on recruiting for 2008-2010 (23 players recruited and only 5 of those still at the club). From my lounge room it appeared that this removed all the heat out of the interview and took Roos completely out of it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Did any of you watch/listen to the interview?

What's the difference?
He didn't use the "fresh erection" term then?

disappointing.

Buckets
SS Life Member

I couldn't see much wrong with that interview???
I saw Mike try go for the jugular but Scott was very mindful of not falling for the bs questioning.
Loved the look he gave Mike and Roosy when talking about how many guys they had left from the draft period between 08-11.
He comes across as a coach that has time for the kids but realises that there is a long road ahead.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Buckets
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:I thought Scott was FANTASTIC the way he trotted out the stats on recruiting for 2008-2010 (23 players recruited and only 5 of those still at the club). From my lounge room it appeared that this removed all the heat out of the interview and took Roos completely out of it !!
Was actually surprised that Roos didn't take that as a dig at his mate Lyon, but it was very well done.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
stinger
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:It's staggering that people would criticise the coach based on recent interviews. He's certainly far more articulate than his predecessor, who to me sounded like a guy who left school at 15 and sucked on a bong for the next 25 years.

Last night, Mike Sheahan was gunning for Watters and I thought Watters handled it well. They are really onto him about this apparent re-build statement he made on radio a couple of weeks back. And this constant questioning over Goddard is becoming ridiculous. When are they going to let it go? He left St Kilda 7 months ago, and the question has already been asked multiple times by every journo and football presenter in Melbourne. A bit lazy from Sheahan.

Watters certainly tried to put recent recruiting failures into the frame, which we all understand. Like I've said before, he knows where we're at and thank goodness he's giving these youngsters the opportunity to play.

good post...all valid comments....sheahan was gunning for him.....shut him up quite nicely i thought....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

this journo watched the show ..then pretty much summerised what scotty said.......interesting but cheap.....on the journo's part that is...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 2ipoj.html

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I liked the stat.

I think this is a difference between rebuilding and refreshing a list, think pies 2010.

Probably tripped up re the swans, and would want his time back at the presser.

mcadam05
Club Player

The footage of the spencer white goal that was shown was CRAP! Surely someone at Fox could of got the ABC Video instead of just taking it off youtube

GRAMophone
Club Player

Very very happy with Scott's performance. Is assertive and poised under fairly intense scrutiny. He showed more footy insight and maturity than all the panel put together.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's a safe, trained media performer. He knows what he wants to share and what he wants to keep in house. He doesn't say anything that could hurt the brand or negatively effect the club financially, which leads to a lot of half-truths and a few blatant lies. Never comes off as particularly convincing but he's visible enough in the media to keep the sponsors happy and prevent the press from hating us for a lack of availability like we had in the early/mid Lyon era.

I don't think we can take much at all from his interviews as I suspect he's a completely different person away from the camera. His coaching hasn't been particularly impressive but our list is a mess and I doubt many could have done much more with it.

suss
Club Player

I think SW was also a bit defensive because Sheehan was bitching that Sippo didn't get a game on ANZAC day and seemed to be implying that the kids weren't getting a fair go.

Did Noddy actually notice Wright, Ross, Saunders, Murdoch in the team? Is he aware we've played 33 players and it's only round 5? Knob.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:I think SW was also a bit defensive because Sheehan was bitching that Sippo didn't get a game on ANZAC day and seemed to be implying that the kids weren't getting a fair go.

Did Noddy actually notice Wright, Ross, Saunders, Murdoch in the team? Is he aware we've played 33 players and it's only round 5? Knob.

i always called sheahan noddy........but knobby probably fits better these days......

..i also saw that dropkick roos had very little to say......appears to lack courage in his convictions.......