Ross Lyon on The Couch this Monday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon on The Couch this Monday

DWOODROW wrote:Sorry bit late. So whats this thread about? :shock:
What's this thread about?

It's about 11 pages too long :P

DWOODROW
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:Sorry bit late. So whats this thread about? :shock:
What's this thread about?

It's about 11 pages too long :P
So I haven't missed anything then. :lol:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if Nick's time on the couch will draw as much interest..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
DWOODROW
Club Player

[quote="saintbrat"]I wonder if Nick's time on the couch will draw as much interest..[/quote]

Depends what he is wearing on the night. :) If its anything but black red and white then possibly. :D

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Oh do you explain Robert Eddy getting 33 games - including Grand Finals - but being delisted a few weeks later?
Makes no sense - unless Lyon seen as a Lyon mistake of judgement. Rather large mistake in judgement.
And there are plenty more to list.
As I have said all along - Lyon = very good coach - well above average - but not a great one.
As for c2s claim he is "one of the great coaches of his era" - that is seriously stuff for the comedy festival in April.
he is actually St Kilda's second greatest coach ever like it or not.
Based on a measure of overall win loss ratio for games coached, yes, we all agree. Based on the influence of the man to St Kilda footy club - its debatable!!! His legacy in the bigger picture and longer term future of our club ranks pretty low compared to other coaches and other club administrators who helped create the opportunity for the Saints to try and win premiership number2.

Answer me this - who is a more successful coach; Ross Lyon, Alistair Clarkson or John Worsfold.? How could anyone, other a Rossco devotee not rank him at Number 3!!!

You may still warm to the bloke and feel a few quick beats whenever you see him, but your opinions have nothing to do with the reality of his achievements. He was handed the blueprint and he stuffed it!! He had the best opportunity in the last 40 odd years. Is that not clear to you? The bloke might have sold his story to everyone that 'he was not the one kicking the footy' but that's typical of the bloke and it's a cop out. The buck stops with the head coach. He picks the team. It is his responsibility, and the results are an ultimate reflection on his coaching. Just because a guy has a good win loss ratio doesn't mean he is a great coach? The fact remains that Ross Lyon is 50/50 when it comes to finals and if you count win% it is uder 50%.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.that.
.i concur.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Oh do you explain Robert Eddy getting 33 games - including Grand Finals - but being delisted a few weeks later?
Makes no sense - unless Lyon seen as a Lyon mistake of judgement. Rather large mistake in judgement.
And there are plenty more to list.
As I have said all along - Lyon = very good coach - well above average - but not a great one.
As for c2s claim he is "one of the great coaches of his era" - that is seriously stuff for the comedy festival in April.
he is actually St Kilda's second greatest coach ever like it or not.
Based on a measure of overall win loss ratio for games coached, yes, we all agree. Based on the influence of the man to St Kilda footy club - its debatable!!! His legacy in the bigger picture and longer term future of our club ranks pretty low compared to other coaches and other club administrators who helped create the opportunity for the Saints to try and win premiership number2.

Answer me this - who is a more successful coach; Ross Lyon, Alistair Clarkson or John Worsfold.? How could anyone, other a Rossco devotee not rank him at Number 3!!!

You may still warm to the bloke and feel a few quick beats whenever you see him, but your opinions have nothing to do with the reality of his achievements. He was handed the blueprint and he stuffed it!! He had the best opportunity in the last 40 odd years. Is that not clear to you? The bloke might have sold his story to everyone that 'he was not the one kicking the footy' but that's typical of the bloke and it's a cop out. The buck stops with the head coach. He picks the team. It is his responsibility, and the results are an ultimate reflection on his coaching. Just because a guy has a good win loss ratio doesn't mean he is a great coach? The fact remains that Ross Lyon is 50/50 when it comes to finals and if you count win% it is uder 50%.
I was comparing Lyon to previous St Kilda coaches and you're just being obstinate. Go have a read of St Kilda's history and tell me he doesn't stand as one of our best ever coaches. It's very black and white IMO.

On your point about 50% finals success, that's probably about average, even for the "great" coaches...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Great coaches win Premierships. Why do you include the word great when you talk about Lyon...He isn't, he wasn't and he will never be great!!!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Great coaches win Premierships. Why do you include the word great when you talk about Lyon...He isn't, he wasn't and he will never be great!!!!!
You should learn to read. I said he has been one of St Kilda's best ever coaches. Keep making things up if it makes you feel good. Hilarious..

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If you want to include the word great when you talk about Lyon, that's fine, but it's an opinion only. He inherited a great team. A team that had just played off in 3 finals series, 3 years running with 2 pre-lims under the belts of the core group, who were just hitting their straps....
Yep, he should be proud of being second. What was it you said...."St Kilda's second greatest coach ever"... Ok I suppose I should accept that, but hopefully Scotty Watters takes that mantle and then we can relegate Lyon to ....somewhere that is near who cares any more....I think it's close to oblivian

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saint Pav,

do you think Lyon's win/loss ratio is an accurate reflection of his coaching ability factoring in that he never had to rebuild the list. Yes or no?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Saint Pav,

do you think Lyon's win/loss ratio is an accurate reflection of his coaching ability factoring in that he never had to rebuild the list. Yes or no?
yeah.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
skeptic wrote:Saint Pav,

yeah.
no. probably not. some coaches walk in to some horrible lists.

i heard RL on ABC perth am show this morning with geoff hutchison. mainly talking about his sister. he is a good bloke.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
no. probably not. some coaches walk in to some horrible lists.

i heard RL on ABC perth am show this morning with geoff hutchison. mainly talking about his sister. he is a good bloke.
\
http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2012/ ... site=perth

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You guys make alot of assumptions. It's pretty funny the argument has turned to his ability to rebuild a list...He wasn't employed to rebuild, he was employed to maximise the most out of the list he had via a better game plan and strategies. I would say he almost succeeded.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:You guys make alot of assumptions. It's pretty funny the argument has turned to his ability to rebuild a list...He wasn't employed to rebuild, he was employed to maximise the most out of the list he had via a better game plan and strategies. I would say he almost succeeded.
i would say an implied part of any coaches contract is player development. on that score he gets 0.
and they arent mutually exclusive - people assume by doing some development he was somehow giving up on something.
you can do both. what would the team have lost with eddy and mcqualter playing 30 games less between them? or resting injured players?
nothin. there is always opportunties in a season to get some development games in if ur smart.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:You guys make alot of assumptions. It's pretty funny the argument has turned to his ability to rebuild a list...He wasn't employed to rebuild, he was employed to maximise the most out of the list he had via a better game plan and strategies. I would say he almost succeeded.
Almost succeeded is like getting 3 legs of the Quadrella.
Warm and fuzzy about what a great judge you nearly were BUT tote ticket in the bin!
He won same number of flags as Tim WAtson.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

.i've almost been successful at everything i've ever tried as well.

.... i take it , thetefore , that i am great.
Last edited by asiu on Wed 07 Mar 2012 9:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:.i've almost been successful at everything i've ever tried as well.

.... i take it , i am great.
.almost

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:.i've almost been successful at everything i've ever tried as well.

.... i take it , thetefore , that i am great.
But has Paul Roos and Clarky endorsed your greatness?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

:)
.roosy won't ... lol ... he caught me listeni.g in on his convo with ?? over what defence they were gunna usr to get bbbb off from tummy tapping goose.

Clarky has a set against me ... my flowing foily headdress dress sense does his head in
so , no support from him either

.i am doomed to almost greatness.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
i would say an implied part of any coaches contract is player development. on that score he gets 0.
and they arent mutually exclusive - people assume by doing some development he was somehow giving up on something.
you can do both. what would the team have lost with eddy and mcqualter playing 30 games less between them? or resting injured players?
nothin. there is always opportunties in a season to get some development games in if ur smart.
Come on Pav. Don't let him off the hook that easy. Love to know what you think was in his contract. Win at all costs and don't worry about our future. You can leave when it's obvious we can't win it, and we will bring someone else in to start all over again.

2nd best coach ever! Not much to beat. Scott could become our greatest ever coach in only 2 years. Sad really when you think about it.

Time to run a poll.
Enough debate on Lyon's achievements, character method of departure already.

FOR.Clarky, Crippa2Sipa.....................
AGAINST. Scollop.Whiskers3614..............
Declare your loyalty or go the backbench!

asiu
Saintsational Legend

GT was better.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Can I take that as an against Gaz?