Saints running scared on coaching decision, says GT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Strange comments from a successful businessman and former coach who couldn't get a premeirship with a top team. The club, like any business about to hire a person on a contract worth hundreds of thousands of dollars per year, and whose appointment is crucial to the club's future, should expect a thorough process to take place- as is happening. Maybe we just follow the Saints of old and go purely on emotion and short-term gain?? I don't think so. The decisions about coaching and playing personel over the next month or so are going to be as important as any in the club's history, so let's get it right.

MadDogMuir

What did Nettlefold do?

Can someone explain what Nettlefold did that was wrong? Is it that Lyon left? I don't think anyone can blame him for that. The reality is that if there would not have been that mega offer from Fremantle OR his financial blunder, he'd still be at the Saints. With hindsight one can say that he should have signed up Lyon in April, but how many people wondered where we were heading at that stage? How many people asked whether Lyon had run out of ideas? I think you may be all a bit unkind.

MadDogMuir

Grant Thomas

Isn't it long past the period of being concerned with what this person says? He had plenty of passion as a coach, but had close to no nouse when it came to tactics. He's a big picture person who got into player's heads, but that's not nearly enough. Lyon had it all. Just lacked the cattle at the end and had a Captain who is mentally weak (Nick, unfortunately).

GSG
Club Player

40 Candidates!!!!

Where does he get this figure? Can somebody confirm this figure

It seems highly unlikely that you can interview 40 candidates in this short time - particularly a senior coaching position.

FFS - get lost!!

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:40 Candidates!!!!

It seems highly unlikely that you can interview 40 candidates in this short time - particularly a senior coaching position.

FFS - get lost!!
I think Nettlefold put this 40 figure out there at the B&F but I may be wrong.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm scared. Worried...
Sure... no schadenfreude there.... :roll:

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6162129541

And for all we know, it might have been 40 phone interviews.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:

FFS - get lost!!
I think Nettlefold put this 40 figure out there at the B&F but I may be wrong.
Nettlefold might have simply spoken to 40 ppl who enquired

I love this club
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

FFS - get lost!!
I think Nettlefold was trying to give the impression there was PLENTY of interest in the job....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:

FFS - get lost!!
I think Nettlefold was trying to give the impression there was PLENTY of interest in the job....
Good point, as opposed to some in the media who suggest the opposite

I love this club
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I think Nettlefold should refrain from public speaking entirely.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

So clearly from the moment Ross walked we should have quickly made up a list of half a dozen quality applicants and we should have just spoken to them.

Thomas then would have tweeted:

"Saints interviewed 6 candidates! Only 6!!! Extraordinary. I hope they knew what they were looking for"

And then this:

"They haven't declared what they are after in that regard. I hope they know."

Why the hell do we have to declare what we're looking for to GT or anyone else for that matter?

The Demons, Crows, Bulldogs and, for that matter the Dockers, only declared what they were after when they made their annoucement of their new coaches :roll:

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
Teflon wrote: I reckon youve go this one wrong Barks....time may tell....anyrate, suggesting Thomas gets anything right ought to give you a clue....
Are you working on the premise that by the law of averages the board would have to get something right eventually?

The current board could not organise a root in a brothel!

Nettlefold on the selection committee should be of REAL CONCERN!

Should be SACKED NOW before he gets a chance to **** UP AGAIN!
You forgot with a fist full of 50s! :D

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Ice Wolf
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:So clearly from the moment Ross walked we should have quickly made up a list of half a dozen quality applicants and we should have just spoken to them.

Thomas then would have tweeted:

"Saints interviewed 6 candidates! Only 6!!! Extraordinary. I hope they knew what they were looking for"

And then this:

"They haven't declared what they are after in that regard. I hope they know."

Why the hell do we have to declare what we're looking for to GT or anyone else for that matter?

The Demons, Crows, Bulldogs and, for that matter the Dockers, only declared what they were after when they made their annoucement of their new coaches :roll:
Nettleford should have followed the process Grant did after they sacked Blight. Ring up every coach to see if they would be interested and then appoint yourself.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Maybe they should rush it like they did when they appointed you Grant then we get a coach who couldn't get the best list in the league to a grand final?
Or what would a better way is to take there time like they are now and then we get a coach like Ross Lyon who got us to grand finals and was head hunted by another club to coach them!
Hmmmm......which is the better method of choosing a coach i wonder???

Piss off Grant, you say you love the club? Well stop bagging it every chance you get muppet!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Maybe they should rush it like they did when they appointed you Grant then we get a coach who couldn't get the best list in the league to a grand final?
Or what would a better way is to take there time like they are now and then we get a coach like Ross Lyon who got us to grand finals and was head hunted by another club to coach them!
Hmmmm......which is the better method of choosing a coach i wonder???

Piss off Grant, you say you love the club? Well stop bagging it every chance you get muppet!
Most unfair!

Grant is now demanding a right of reply :P

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

There is no way that the Coaching Panel would have "interviewed" 40 potential coaches. Perhaps "spoke" to a few people of interest, looked at some "applications" and then probably interviewed around 6 (10 max.).

Nettlefold is not good publicly. He would be far better if he was candid/frank with his communication. He was probably trying to "up-sell" that there has been much interest in the Saints job, or that the Club's process has been "exhaustive." The problem is, he doesn't have a lot of credibility with many supporters.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

As much as I liked GT when he was coach I think it's a bit rich of him to be criticising the selection process. He said himself that after Watson left he spoke to all of the current AFL coaches to se if they were interested (does that count as an interview?). And at the end of that process we ended up picking the President's mate - maybe we should get GW to give us his address book and pick someone out of that.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I actually don't get the hysteria to his quotes.

They keep asking his opinion, he is in the media, and it's an opinion business.

Terry Wallace keeps twittering about us too, but that doesn't make the news.

So he thinks 40 is excessive, no biggy. :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

In principle I dislike a "process" for selecting the right candidate,

I think generally the coach should be appointed by the board, who then live or die by their decision

Having a panel and "process" in place gives them a convenient "out" if we appoint a dud.

Boards, presidents etc are appointed to make decisions and I don't see a lot of that going on.

But let's see what the outcome is. We may actually get it right, who knows.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

grant's lost even me on this one....stfu grant ffs.... :roll: :roll: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Dial a quote tweeting after 6 bottles of red.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Dial a quote tweeting after 6 bottles of red.
yep...would not surprise me one bit...

westy
Club Player

How in the name of Jehova can we shut tis clown Thomas up? I reckon if you got him in a room alone with B4EVA the silence would be deafening.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
stinger
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:How in the name of Jehova can we shut tis clown Thomas up? I reckon if you got him in a room alone with B4EVA the silence would be deafening.
nah....they could study rix's ruck stats and talk about the relative merits of ruckmen in the modern game for weeks.... :twisted: