TOMMY WALSH MUST PLAY THIS WEEK

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So you want to play an extra backman. I thought you wanted a good forward line. I dont think i have ever heard of a player playing a kick behind play when they arent rucking. sounds like a new position. If Kosi does you want then Rooy again has 2 or 3 players on him. Dont think Kosi playing that role is the answer.
Three tall forwards is not the answer and whether you like it or not Walsh will eventually get his chance.

So that leaves us with the question of what to do with a second ruckman (Kosi) when he is not rucking. Why can't he play a kick behind the play? Is there some AFL rule about it of which only umpires such as yourself are aware?

saintjake
Club Player

The top four teams all have 3 tall forwards
Pies - Cloke, Dawse and Brown/Jolly
Hawks Buddy, Roughy, Hale
Geelong Jpod, Mooney/Hawkins abd resting ruckman
West Coast Kennedy, lynch, cox/naitanui

So why can't we have it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:So you want to play an extra backman. I thought you wanted a good forward line. I dont think i have ever heard of a player playing a kick behind play when they arent rucking. sounds like a new position. If Kosi does you want then Rooy again has 2 or 3 players on him. Dont think Kosi playing that role is the answer.
Three tall forwards is not the answer and whether you like it or not Walsh will eventually get his chance.

So that leaves us with the question of what to do with a second ruckman (Kosi) when he is not rucking. Why can't he play a kick behind the play? Is there some AFL rule about it of which only umpires such as yourself are aware?
No rule just never seen it done before but it means a 5 man forward line and 2 or 3 on Rooy as per usual. I am sorry but I cant remember ever saying I dont want Wlash in the side. Anyway kosi will never play in the position you suggested.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:The top four teams all have 3 tall forwards

So why can't we have it?
Ross/Roo don't like it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

No rule just never seen it done before but it means a 5 man forward line and 2 or 3 on Rooy as per usual.
Not if there is a genuine, dangerous alternative who can actually kick goals.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:No rule just never seen it done before .
So that means it can't be done??? Because you have never seen it? hmm
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 23 Aug 2011 4:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

No rule just never seen it done before but it means a 5 man forward line and 2 or 3 on Rooy as per usual.
Not if there is a genuine, dangerous alternative who can actually kick goals.
Still a 5 man forward line and 2 on Rooy. And who is this magical dangerous altetrnative that can actually kick goals? Surely we arent pinning our hopes on a guy without a game yet. That would be very sad for the club and that poor player.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Plugger, Walsh is the messiah!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Surely we arent pinning our hopes on a guy without a game yet.
On the contrary. I'm well aware of the difficulties he will face as he adjusts to the pace of league football.

But he's shown consistent good form in the VFL and has earned a chance, particularly as our forward line has been impotent on the whole this season.

You've got to ask would he offer more than, say Lynch. And, let's face it, the skipper's form continues to be a real concern.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I, for one, would live to see Tommy Gun get a run this week.

The problem seems to be the selectors have left it a little late in giving him a debut this season. RL and co seem too conservative to drop experience for new blood.

Walsh is, however, quite versatile. I reckon he could come into the team for a Jason Blake and at worst be slotted into the backline. Mind you, we desperately need an extra tall forward.

You never know, he could really rise to the occaision and excel with this opportunity ala Dean Greig in 1991.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

So why can't we have it?
We can .. as long as we introduce another 2 quick and hardworking players in our forward line to up the forward pressure from where it sits (close to zero currently).
Currently we have 1 (theoretically) quick forward with chronic knee problems who's outnumbered 3 to 1 and who we rely on too much to kick our goals.. no wonder we get rebound against so easily.
It's up to the selectors to get the mix right,

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Walsh must play, otherwise we are cactus!

SaintSimmo
Club Player

http://www.saints.com.au/videoaudio/tab ... #playvideo

looks pretty good in the highlights, the second last goal he kicks is a ripper looked pretty kick and nimble on his feet as well. :D

BRING IN TOMMY!!!

Sainter for life.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He's a big lump of a boy, isn't he. Strong and can kick. Nice to beat the filth at Victoria Park ... that hasn't happened too often.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

If Riewoldt plays this week, I strongly believe we will not win this week. I was at the game in Sydney and to say he isn't injured is absolutely crap. I was behind the goals and Riewoldt looked in excrutiating pain a number of times. Apparently he is only training 10 mins a week. If he is injured, give the boy a rest and give Tommy a go.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Walsh must play, otherwise we are cactus!
Cactus? One player decides the rise or fall of our team ? Maybe we can get back Rix ;)

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

fair comment I think. I understand the call for the coach to play Walsh, but I don't agree with barks that we're "cactus" if Walsh doesn't get a gig.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

We are cactus, what a joke

Lyon might be a great tactical coach

BUT

his team selection is dumb, stupid, unimaginative and deplorable

GET A CLUE

Walsh might have invigorated the team and been an X factor we desperately need

but no, more of this treading water, ho hum, wasting time, short term nonsense

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Walsh might have invigorated the team and been an X factor we desperately need
Is he a masseuse?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
ando051
Club Player

samoht wrote:

So why can't we have it?
We can .. as long as we introduce another 2 quick and hardworking players in our forward line to up the forward pressure from where it sits (close to zero currently).
Currently we have 1 (theoretically) quick forward with chronic knee problems who's outnumbered 3 to 1 and who we rely on too much to kick our goals.. no wonder we get rebound against so easily.
It's up to the selectors to get the mix right,
Why is Rooey always having 3 to 1 contests every week? Because there is no one else in the forward line to kick to, and it is coming very predictable. Until we get another target forward, Rooey will be getting poleaxed every week. It worked when we had Rooey, Kosi and the G Train.

You have to reward players for showing good form in the 2nd's. I believe Tommy Walsh has earned the right to be given a chance.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:http://www.saints.com.au/videoaudio/tab ... #playvideo

looks pretty good in the highlights, the second last goal he kicks is a ripper looked pretty kick and nimble on his feet as well. :D

BRING IN TOMMY!!!
Pretty good? He looked brilliant. Very dangerous in front of goal, unlike most of the players in the firsts team, who at times can't hit the backside of a barn :?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:We are cactus, what a joke

Lyon might be a great tactical coach

BUT

his team selection is dumb, stupid, unimaginative and deplorable

GET A CLUE

Walsh might have invigorated the team and been an X factor we desperately need

but no, more of this treading water, ho hum, wasting time, short term nonsense
He still might play, because given Gamble isn't back, we know someone will probably spend more time up forward.

Though Ross did allude to Roo, Kosi and BJ at times.

Buckets
SS Life Member

You would think that Walsh has the opportunity this week as surely there will be a late change or two by saturday night.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i remember a similar situation with milney when he was on the rookie list and kicking goals each week in the ressies.....many on here were making calls similar to those now being made on tommy......we were all told that the club knew best...that milney wasn't ready....that we were only armchair experts.....that there was no certainty that he was even up to it..

...in the end the club relented...promoted him to he seniors and gave him a run...the rest is history as they say..... :wink: :wink: :wink: 8-) 8-) 8-) :twisted: :twisted:

give the boy a chance ross...ffs.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:You would think that Walsh has the opportunity this week as surely there will be a late change or two by saturday night.
:wink:

Could well be planned. Lessen the hype/expectation/pressure.