Jones for Bruce?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jones for Bruce?

What a f****** joke,

from herald sun .com

"Richmond had some interest in Sydney’s Zak Jones and has spoken to his management about a deal if the St Kilda trade fell through.

But he is expected to want more cash than the Tigers could consider given their tight cap with high-paid stars including Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Rance, Dion Prestia, Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt.

St Kilda might need to hand over pick six to Fremantle for Brad Hill and use the second-round pick it secures from the Western Bulldogs for key forward Josh Bruce to secure Sydney midfielder Jones."

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Jones for Bruce?

Saints TV reckon McKenzie for Jones which makes more sense, both have got good outside speed but are s*** ball users.
Like for like really, so much so I don’t know who would be better off the Swans or us.
I’m guessing the Swans as we will be paying Jones a lot more than McKenzie.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Jones for Bruce is a poor deal as both are B Grade and Key Forwards are worth a lot more than wingman/HBs

McKenzie is a like for like Jones is better, McKenzie is younger.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

So D Mac will be average for longer

Nee!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Or he may develop and improve? But that is unlikely, he just lacks composure with the footy.

gutiguti

People thinking that McKenzie is as good as Zak Jones makes me fear for this forum some times
Zak Jones AVERAGED more disposals than McKenzie's career high. He is also a better kick.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who said MaKenzie is as good as Jones?

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

gutiguti wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 12:27pm People thinking that McKenzie is as good as Zak Jones makes me fear for this forum some times
Zak Jones AVERAGED more disposals than McKenzie's career high. He is also a better kick.
Agreed its an utterly ludicrous comparison

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Mc Kenzie for Jones?
Do it now!

Bruce for Jones?
If we do that deal our decision makers have no clue.

Let’s wait and see before we jump to conclusions, but I’d be pretty disappointed if we swapped a competitive key forward for an average flanker with average foot skills.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jones for Bruce?

What we gain for Bruce will be more than the trade out cost for Jones.

The media have to fill time or space, and so no point taking what they say as factual. Many are just ramblings.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 12:41pm Who said MaKenzie is as good as Jones?
Isn't that what "like for like" means?

Apologies, confused by the like for like and then saying Jones is better, McKenzie is younger add on.

damienc
Club Player

I continually read with bemusement and bewilderment at the constant slagging of the possible Jones and Ryder trades.

It is just nuts to bag the club for chasing these two players.

For a start, Zac Jones is rated elite in the AFL at everything he does. Elite.

Not even Jack Stevens is rated elite in everything.

Jones is a quick, elusive, aggressive, line breaking midfielder. The kind of player we are crying for.

The club knows what it is doing. And we will be a much better footy team with Jones in it.

Same goes for Ryder. This guy is an All Australian ruckman. Apparently to some here, that counts for nothing. Seriously deranged thinking.

If we get Hill, Jones, Ryder, Gray and maybe another player we will have blitzed the trade period.

Yes, we will have taken some hits in possibly losing Jack S, Bruce and maybe Acres and/or McKenzie or even Newnes.

In my view, the gains will outweigh the losses.

The Saints are desperate for change. The club needed to do something drastic to address our lack of polish and skill and line breaking in the midfield. We also needed another ruckman.

I like what we are doing.
Last edited by damienc on Fri 04 Oct 2019 3:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

stkfc1
Club Player

damienc wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:38pm I continually read with bemusement and bewilderment at the constant slagging of the the possible Jones and Ryder trades.

It is just nuts to bag the club for chasing these two players.

For a start, Zac Jones is rated elite in the AFL at everything he does. Elite.

Not even Jack Stevens is rated elite in everything.

Jones is a quick, elusive, aggressive, line breaking midfielder. The kind of player we are crying for.

The club knows what it is doing. And we will be a much better footy team with Jones in it.

Same goes for Ryder. This guy is an All Australian ruckman. Apparently to some here, that counts for nothing. Seriously deranged thinking.

If we get Hill, Jones, Ryder, Gray and maybe another player we will have blitzed the trade period.

Yes, we will have taken some hits in possibly losing Jack S, Bruce and maybe Acres and/or McKenzie or even Newnes.

In my view, the gains will outweigh the losses.

The Saints are desperate for change. The club needed to do something drastic to address our lack of polish and skill and line breaking in the midfield. We also needed another ruckman.

I like what we are doing.
Agree. Bruce will be loss short term but there is method to the madness if it means we land all of the above.

We have to give something to get something. I dont want to lose Bruce in all this but we can't have everything our own way.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Like for like as in they are both running defenders. So positional.

Jones is a B grade player
McKenzie is a D Grade player

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:44pm Like for like as in they are both running defenders. So positional.

Cheers! Let's get it done in my opinion.

To the top
SS Life Member

I would not consider releasing Acres under any circumstances

McKenzie, Webster or our other defensive flankers now surpassed by Clark and Coffield is an entirely different story

Acres can impact where we need impact

Hill and Ryder address 2 deficiencies - outside pace, daring and skill and that we only now have the one ruckman (and possibly a KPP forward deficiency)

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:54pm I would not consider releasing Acres under any circumstances

McKenzie, Webster or our other defensive flankers now surpassed by Clark and Coffield is an entirely different story

Acres can impact where we need impact

Hill and Ryder address 2 deficiencies - outside pace, daring and skill and that we only now have the one ruckman (and possibly a KPP forward deficiency)
TTT, I believe you massively overrate Acres.
He is a tease at this point of his career.

Jury is out in whether he fulfills his talent or not. Thanks

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
damienc
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:44pm Like for like as in they are both running defenders. So positional.

Sorry but that is a ludicrous thing to say about Jones.

outside66
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 11:32am Saints TV reckon McKenzie for Jones which makes more sense, both have got good outside speed but are s*** ball users.
Like for like really, so much so I don’t know who would be better off the Swans or us.
I’m guessing the Swans as we will be paying Jones a lot more than McKenzie.
I reckon D-Mac would be a perfect replacement for Nick Smith. We've got a plethora of small-medium defenders i.e. Geary, Webster, Coffield, Savage, Roberton (if fit) etc. D-mac is not a forward and he plays his best footy coming out of the backline imo

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Acres is very average. Doesn’t get the ball that much and when he does, who knows what he’s gonna do with it?!

Ryder, has been an AA ruckman, he is now a 32yo player on the decline at the end of his career. We already have the best young ruckman in the league.

Zac Jones, talking Tom a swans supporter last night, he is not overly concerned about losing him, he said if there’s a stat for getting caught holding the ball, Zac would be leading it by a mile, said he tries to do too much, which is why his disposal is average at best.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 3:38pm

Do you rate him higher than B grade DC and / or see him as more than a running defender? Or less in both cases?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:45pm Acres is very average. Doesn’t get the ball that much and when he does, who knows what he’s gonna do with it?!

A tad harsh, he gets it as much as Sinclair and is more versatile. I know he will be looking for the best option rather than stat hunting, i.e. blazing away.

Ryder, has been an AA ruckman, he is now a 32yo player on the decline at the end of his career. We already have the best young ruckman in the league.

Who else do we have? He's certainly better than the two we released and can hold the position until other players develop. Marshall is a gun but can be more than a high possession ruckman who loses the hitouts.

Zac Jones, talking Tom a swans supporter last night, he is not overly concerned about losing him, he said if there’s a stat for getting caught holding the ball, Zac would be leading it by a mile, said he tries to do too much, which is why his disposal is average at best.

WOW and that makes B grade. I never realised there were so many A graders in the League. He's an improvement to our list. When you are a bottom 6 team that is about the best you can hope
How do we improve without draft picks or an abundance of quality for those draft picks or trades? Don't blame the past, that's done. How do we do it now? It's too easy to whinge, bitch and moan about our list. I'm happy to try, keeping Bruce will not see an improvement. Free the cash for the next few years.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Does Marshall always lose hit outs?

He averaged 29 a game, which is fine for a 23yo ruckman, next year that’ll be a bit better after another pre season.

I rate clearances and possessions (especially marks) much higher than hit outs.

damienc
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:46pm
damienc wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 3:38pm

Do you rate him higher than B grade DC and / or see him as more than a running defender? Or less in both cases?
I think you just stuck upon why a club like St Kilda might be interested in a player like Zac Jones.

He is versatile. He can defend and he can go into the midfield. Those sorts of players are really valuable. Make that invaluable.

Plus he is aggressive, hard at the contest and breaks the lines. Not to mention he is super quick.

You don't have to be Albert Einstein to understand why a club like ours would rate him and want him. And not just our club.

The current reigning premiers are reportedly ready to pounce if our bid falls over.

A club like Richmond isn't interested in recruiting a B grade player and neither is St Kilda.

Sometimes I struggle to understand the logic of some of the posters on this forum. Not for a minute saying that this applies to you.

But others have been scathing in their criticism of the Jones bid. I find it baffling.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s not that baffling

He’s just a GOP

If he was better, he’d be worth more than a pick in the 30s which we are reportedly offering.