Membrey accuracy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Membrey accuracy

Members is back to his best this year thank god. Kicked 40.14 so far at 65%. Great turn around.

A seriously good player that sits 8th for most goals kicked. He lies between being an A and B grade footballer for sure that you can rely on most weeks to have a good game. If King gets up next year to play FF, then he will get off the leash a bit more I reckon. 50+ a year beckons.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Membrey accuracy

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:06pm Members is back to his best this year thank god. Kicked 40.14 so far at 65%. Great turn around.

A seriously good player that sits 8th for most goals kicked. He lies between being an A and B grade footballer for sure that you can rely on most weeks to have a good game. If King gets up next year to play FF, then he will get off the leash a bit more I reckon. 50+ a year beckons.
Given the role he's been forced to play during his time with us - he's been as solid and consistent as any. He's the perfect 3rd forward yet during his time with us - he's either had an injured Paddy and/or Bruce beside him making him pretty much the de facto main forward.

It's no coincidence that when Bruce or Paddy have played well - Members' output is enhanced.

I'm salivating at the prospect of King (start deep leading jump/mark); Bruce (hard leading, pack crashing, contested clunk CHF) and Members as the 3rd tall who can hit the logos with his tank and burn the 3rd defender on the way back. Good luck defending that trio ... even if we have our usual average delivery into F50.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Him and Bruce are a very good combination.

I’m worried that we’re looking to bring someone like Goldy in to ruck in tandem with Marshall, which means you wouldn’t be able to play those 2 and King, Bruce and Membrey all in the same team. Wouldn’t work in my book, way too tall.

Marshall, Bruce, Membrey and King could work quite nicely.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Theoretically if King, Bruce, Membrey, Marshall and Goldstein/Draper/Grundy were all playing one would be on the bench at all times.

By the way, I reckon a lot of Membrey's goals this year have been from on or near the goal square. I don't have a lot of confidence in his set shots.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
barneyboyz
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:21pm Him and Bruce are a very good combination.

I’m worried that we’re looking to bring someone like Goldy in to ruck in tandem with Marshall, which means you wouldn’t be able to play those 2 and King, Bruce and Membrey all in the same team. Wouldn’t work in my book, way too tall.

Marshall, Bruce, Membrey and King could work quite nicely.
Until days like yesterday. Marshall stays out from quarter time, and we lose structure pretty quick, especially until King can play ruck

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:35pm By the way, I reckon a lot of Membrey's goals this year have been from on or near the goal square. I don't have a lot of confidence in his set shots.
Not sure that's a fair assessment. Only 20% of his shots in 2019 have been from or around the goalsquare. This also shows how dangerous he is inside 50

Membrey - apart from a period in 2018 with the yips - has for years been a very reliable set shot at goal from almost anywhere on the field.

He's kicked 10% more accurately than the average AFL player from his opportunities, while the club as a whole in 2019 has kicked 8% worse than expected.

Per Stats Insider
https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/shot-charting

The_President
Club Player

n1ck wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 10:57am
kosifantutti wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:35pm By the way, I reckon a lot of Membrey's goals this year have been from on or near the goal square. I don't have a lot of confidence in his set shots.
Not sure that's a fair assessment. Only 20% of his shots in 2019 have been from or around the goalsquare. This also shows how dangerous he is inside 50

Membrey - apart from a period in 2018 with the yips - has for years been a very reliable set shot at goal from almost anywhere on the field.

He's kicked 10% more accurately than the average AFL player from his opportunities, while the club as a whole in 2019 has kicked 8% worse than expected.

Per Stats Insider
https://www.statsinsider.com.au/afl/shot-charting

The goals he gets from the goal square are because of how hard he works.

Pushes up onto the wing, make the contest, then gets on his bike and just out works his opponent. Go back and look at the first goal against Freo. He was the one who got it on the wing and got it moving forward, then worked harder than anyone to get back into the 50m and got the goal. If we were winning more games, he'd be getting talked up like Gunston did during the Hawthorn era.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 11:11am The goals he gets from the goal square are because of how hard he works.

Pushes up onto the wing, make the contest, then gets on his bike and just out works his opponent. Go back and look at the first goal against Freo. He was the one who got it on the wing and got it moving forward, then worked harder than anyone to get back into the 50m and got the goal. If we were winning more games, he'd be getting talked up like Gunston did during the Hawthorn era.
Completely agree. His ability to push up and then power back towards goal coupled with his marking ability for a mid-sized key forward is elite. He plays taller than he actually is because of his vertical jump. Has always been a very accurate kick for goal.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

You won't get very far here bringing facts and data. Don't you know it's just the vibe of the thing?

I'll stand corrected on his accuracy but I do reckon in the last few weeks he has scored quite a few from beating his opponent close to the goal square and this may be due a slightly changed forward setup where we seem much more likely to have a target inside 50.

The_President
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 11:23am You won't get very far here bringing facts and data. Don't you know it's just the vibe of the thing?

I'll stand corrected on his accuracy but I do reckon in the last few weeks he has scored quite a few from beating his opponent close to the goal square and this may be due a slightly changed forward setup where we seem much more likely to have a target inside 50.
I reckon he’s just quite a good forward.
150 odd goals in the last four years as a mid-sized forward in an ordinary team is a decent effort.

Still only 25.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 11:28am
kosifantutti wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 11:23am You won't get very far here bringing facts and data. Don't you know it's just the vibe of the thing?

I reckon he’s just quite a good forward.
150 odd goals in the last four years as a mid-sized forward in an ordinary team is a decent effort.

Still only 25.
Absolutely, especially considering what he cost us.

He's an amazing mark for his size. You know if he's one on one he's got a very good chance of getting the mark and his opponent usually can't work out how or why he did it.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He's a required player. Really good player!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Theoretically if King, Bruce, Membrey, Marshall and Goldstein/Draper/Grundy were all playing one would be on the bench at all times.

By the way, I reckon a lot of Membrey's goals this year have been from on or near the goal square. I don't have a lot of confidence in his set shots.
I should have stood my ground on this so I could come back and say Ha Ha!
I’ll just have to settle for Ha!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

He has been very reliable this year, but God knows what happened with those 2 misses on Saturday. 1 early and 1 late. Especially the late one, we would have won if he kicked that, instead it was a 12 point turn around and sucked all the momentum out of us.

Nee!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

he still misses the easy ones from just in front

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee