Jack coy on future

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jack coy on future

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sai ... 52g1z.html

"[My fitness is] probably down a little. I’ve never been that fit anyway.”

But it didn’t appear to matter too much on Sunday, with Steven spending an extended period as a deep forward, where he used his weight to his advantage.

Steven spent six weeks away from the club from the start of May, his second period of indefinite leave for 2019. He paid tribute to those at the Saints who had supported him through a tough year.

“[Today] was awesome. My main aim was to get back this year and to get the boys over the line was awesome. I think we had a good crack all day,” Steven said.

“That was pretty much my main aim, just to have a bit of fun. Full credit to everyone, they’ve given me my space at the right time and also had my back at the right time.”

But while glowing in his praise of the club, Steven remains no guarantee to be at Moorabbin next year.

Former St Kilda coach Alan Richardson confirmed last week that Steven had been keen to move from the Saints to Geelong at the end of last season but St Kilda opted not to indulge the star midfielder’s request.

Steven is again expected to formally request a trade to the Cats at season’s end, despite being contracted until the end of 2020.

His performance on Sunday could help bolster the Lorne product’s value at the trade table.

Asked about a timeframe on his future, Steven played a straight bat.

“We’ll just concentrate on today. I’m pretty tired. I’m pretty happy just to get back, so we’ll just leave it at that,” Steven said in the rooms.

Meanwhile the win should only help Ratten as he vies to become Richardson’s permanent replacement. Ratten’s hat is in the ring, and he is in the process of presenting to the Saints’ coaching subcommittee.

The next challenge comes in the form of an MCG date on Saturday with Carlton, the club he coached for more than five years before being sacked at the end of 2012.

"It's something that happens in the game. It is what is. They're just the change of colours. We had the purple and white today and we'll have the navy Blues next week," Ratten said.

Youngster Nick Coffield is expected to miss the remainder of the season after dislocating his shoulder in the first term."

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jack coy on future

I'll be sorry if he goes. He was great mates with Hickey by all accounts and I wonder if us moving him on made a difference to Jack.

To the top
SS Life Member

So refers to quotes from Steven

Then goes off on an agenda which was obviously not the subject of questioning

Journalists, hey?

The uneducated telling their fellow uneducated what they do not know

Unfortunate Coffield is gone for the year

Webster or White?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

freely wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 7:30pm I'll be sorry if he goes. He was great mates with Hickey by all accounts and I wonder if us moving him on made a difference to Jack.
I will be incredibly sad if he goes.
Looking like he'll go back to Geelong, family ties ?
He's an excitement machine

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Great game from Steven. He didn't play like someone that wanted to leave and was unhappy at the Saints. He got around everyone, as did everyone with him during the entire game.

This Geelong thing is getting even stranger. Will being a bit closer to his family change things that much? Really...it seems like he has a great bunch of mates at the Saints and a side that will start going places IMO.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

See the post game on field chat with Dal on Fox? See the twinkle in their eyes at the end? Or am I imagining it? I hope the latter is true. It looked like Dal was saying, yeah, well, looking great going forward....eh...Not planned but just a millisecond of mutual acknowledgement, or so in thought.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Dal said ‘stay away from the Geelong footy club’ don’t think many noticed but I’m sure he said that right at the end

Also i noticed jack looking to the crowd and fellow saints and pulling his jumper after the win - I saw this as a positive

#1 Ryder fan
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully Richo was the problem and a new coach will be enough for him to want to stay.

I don’t get how if he does in fact love the club and the boys as is widely claimed, how moving an hour down the road to a brand new club is going to improve his life so dramatically? It’s not like he’s stuck in Qld or WA or anything?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Shaggy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:13pm Hopefully Richo was the problem and a new coach will be enough for him to want to stay.

I don’t get how if he does in fact love the club and the boys as is widely claimed, how moving an hour down the road to a brand new club is going to improve his life so dramatically? It’s not like he’s stuck in Qld or WA or anything?
Really?

He has serious personal problems.

He wants to be close to his family.

And you do not understand?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:44pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:13pm Hopefully Richo was the problem and a new coach will be enough for him to want to stay.

Really?

He looks the be well past the worst of them, if today is any guide.

Shaggy
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:47pm

Really?

Being good at your job is irrelevant to having personal problems.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:13pm
...I don’t get how....moving an hour down the road....is going to improve his life so dramatically?
Yep, it ain’t WA but I dunno, for me (I grew up in Hampton...before it was rich...) the vibe down there is totally different than the Nepean Hwy environs . Used to go on summer trips and occasional winter sojourns ...and I’ve always felt it was a unique trip down there. I imagine having family and friends down that way, plus the big waves and windy beaches, has a big draw for a guy feeling the pinch and pains of life, playing for the Saints, going through the whole Seaford thing and back again. Let’s face it Moorabbin ain’t beautiful.

I’m no league footballer with three to five years of career left and a huge legacy to take for the asking and I can’t think it is gonna be a stellar move career wise. Perhaps it is that Lockett thing of get out and start again. I hope not. If he stays we will make home happy. Come on Saints.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 12:01am
bigcarl wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 11:47pm

Really?

Being good at your job is irrelevant to having personal problems.
I just thought he seemed happy within himself and rapt he was able to contribute. You can’t see inner turmoil, of course.

If he is still clinically depressed - and I’m not certain that he is - a change of scenery isn’t certain to help.

He may be think everything’s going to be hunky dory when he’s back on the coast, but It doesn’t work like that, unfortunately.

Again, I’m not sure of the particulars of his family situation.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

A wonderful game from Jack today.

I know he's going. He knows he's going. I wish he wasn't going, but that's how it is. And his effort today was huge.

I hope he finishes his career with us with three great games and we get a great deal from Geelong.

I'd also like him to do well there, find happiness and enjoy what remains of his footy career, and life after it, too.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

silverhalo
Club Player

The way I would play this if I was part of the St.Kilda hierarchy would be to leave the decision to Jack - no use trying to convince him to stay if he really wants to be closer to home, and the guy has been through a lot battling inner demons so I think it's important that he's happy.

If he does want to leave, it's up to the club to negotiate something decent in return - hopefully Geelong will bring something reasonable to the table and not make this a long drawn out saga for the sake of everyone involved here.

Special
Club Player

I see it this way.

Jack loves St Kilda and his teammates but simply has to move back home for whatever valid reasons.

He feels it’s his duty to help secure a really good deal for us, and is going to go full pelt in these last 3 games to ram home the point.

It’s sad how fat (his words) and unfit he let himself get. That’s a sure sign of how bad a year he’s had. It wasn’t a deliberate thing, just the way it rolls.

Gotta love Stuv

The Recruit
Club Player

Anything short of 2 first round picks doesn’t get the trade done. Jack should stay and if the cats want him they need to cough up. If they don’t, he is contracted and will be a saint for 2020. Another year the aging cats can’t afford to lose.

I say sign Jack to 2023. Gun and loved. f*** the cats

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 12:44am
It’s sad how fat (his words) and unfit he let himself get. That’s a sure sign of how bad a year he’s had. It wasn’t a deliberate thing, just the way it rolls.
If he is using neds for mental health it doesn't help the weight thing either. I'm grasping at straws here, but Kelly was gonna leave Geelong to go home last year and stayed. Maybe we can tell Jack that, and magically he'll think...you are right! I'll stay!

jaxons
Club Player

He is contracted to us next year so its up to us if we let him go.
On a positive note, his currency increased dramatically today as people forgot how good a player he is.

Harves Man
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 2:09am He is contracted to us next year so its up to us if we let him go.
On a positive note, his currency increased dramatically today as people forgot how good a player he is.
I never forgot! He is a matchwinner - I see it as pretty much a disaster for us if he leaves, although I would understand his desire to be closer to family and how that is amplified after a relationship split-up, especially if a child is involved. Always great to hear from you, Jaxons - rock on!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Really?

He wants to be close to his family.

And you do not understand?
How much closer does he need to be? 2 hours away? 1 hour away? Next door? Same house?

Just pondering that he is a millionaire and this is a professional sports team, surely they can figure out some kind of solution.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Just do a deal to let him train with Geelong and play with St.Kilda. I'll come down from Hervey Bay every weekend and pick him up myself. 😉

barneyboyz
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 12:31am The way I would play this if I was part of the St.Kilda hierarchy would be to leave the decision to Jack - no use trying to convince him to stay if he really wants to be closer to home, and the guy has been through a lot battling inner demons so I think it's important that he's happy.

If he does want to leave, it's up to the club to negotiate something decent in return - hopefully Geelong will bring something reasonable to the table and not make this a long drawn out saga for the sake of everyone involved here.
Yep, I'm happy for Stuv to retire happy in a great space, he deserves that and I wouldn't begrudge him. If it's Geelong, then I'd also be happy if he retired without a flag too

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Harves Man
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 8:48am Just do a deal to let him train with Geelong and play with St.Kilda. I'll come down from Hervey Bay every weekend and pick him up myself. 😉
Ah see - problem solved. The club just needs to listen to it's supporters!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 9:28pm
freely wrote: Sun 11 Aug 2019 7:30pm I'll be sorry if he goes. He was great mates with Hickey by all accounts and I wonder if us moving him on made a difference to Jack.
I will be incredibly sad if he goes.
Looking like he'll go back to Geelong, family ties ?
He's an excitement machine
Me too mate, me too. :cry: