Changes v Cats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Changes v Cats

Out: Battle (inj), Parker (spelled)
In: Brown, White/Lonie (if fit)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Changes v Cats

What I'd like to see...

Out : Parker, Long, Sinclair, Ross, Battle (inj)

In : Lonie, White, Langlands, Hannebery, Brown

What will probably happen...

Out : Battle (inj), Parker

In : Brown, Lonie

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Drop Parker Long and Sinclair.. all can’t get their hands on the ball and are painfully out of form..

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

mightysainters wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 9:43am Drop Parker Long and Sinclair.. all can’t get their hands on the ball and are painfully out of form..
At least Parker and Long try and impact contests. Long was leading up with purpose on Sunday.

I would drop Sinclair and Acres. They are what I call drifters. They just drift up and down the oval occasionally getting the ball but with a complete lack of urgency

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Long had the job on Atley and did it well.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Long won't get dropped and neither he should. Parker, certainly and Hind and Sinclair maybes. Posters calling for Ross to be dropped are wasting their time.

Brown has to be fitted in as a replacement for Battle and Lonie is a certainty to return

I wish White and Langlands would be given games but maybe this week is not the right time to be making to many changes.

Battle has a low grade medial strain and will miss a couple of weeks.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 12:01pm Posters calling for Ross to be dropped are wasting their time.
While I would drop Ross, I agree that any hope of that is futile.

I think it would actually be beneficial for Seb if he was relieved of the captaincy, but who replaces him?

Hannebery & Roberton have already left the leadership group and are unavailable. Nathan Brown replaced Hannebery, but he's not even seen as best 22 by the selection committee at the moment. The only remaining available members of the leadership group are Tim Membrey and Jack Billings.

Given the lack of natural leaders on our list, I think it'd be worth trying Billings and Membrey as co-captains for the rest of the season (or until Geary returns). They may thrive, they may struggle, but given the current situation, it's worth a go.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

If Hanners is over his "hamstring awareness" he will be back.

Brown for Battle.

Lonie if match fit enough.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Josh Battle
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 12:01pm Long won't get dropped and neither he should. Parker, certainly and Hind and Sinclair maybes. Posters calling for Ross to be dropped are wasting their time.

Brown has to be fitted in as a replacement for Battle and Lonie is a certainty to return

I wish White and Langlands would be given games but maybe this week is not the right time to be making to many changes.

The same people who think Long should be dropped are probably the ones who were writing off Lonie and had written off Seb Ross in 2015. It takes a few years and lots of games experience people!! Longy has the attributes. We need to encourage the very talented guys we have on our list. Ben Long is one of them

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think Ross needs to be dropped as a kick up the bum, ala Dal Santo and Milne.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 3:15pm
saynta wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 12:01pm Long won't get dropped and neither he should. Parker, certainly and Hind and Sinclair maybes. Posters calling for Ross to be dropped are wasting their time.

The same people who think Long should be dropped are probably the ones who were writing off Lonie and had written off Seb Ross in 2015. It takes a few years and lots of games experience people!! Longy has the attributes. We need to encourage the very talented guys we have on our list. Ben Long is one of them
Yep. and the ones who wrote Seb off in 2015 are still snipping at him at every opportunity. He is our highest possession winner and has a respectable disposal efficiency despite what the haters on SS claim.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 3:30pm

Yep. and the ones who wrote Seb off in 2015 are still snipping at him at every opportunity. He is our highest possession winner and has a respectable disposal efficiency despite what the haters on SS claim.
I assume both of those comments are directed at me. I never wrote Seb off previously, he has played some wonderful footy for us and is a vital part of our team, but he is miles off his best at the moment. He's far from alone, but I think he's one who'd benefit from a reality check. When we need him to be a leader, he's been a passenger at best.

Long will be a super player for the Saints, I've got no doubt, he shown fantastic signs, but he's rarely found his best in 2019, if at all. He's been more fortunately than others this year when it comes to selection, but rarely has he grasped the opportunity with both hands. Our forward pressure has been non-existent of late, likewise our ground ball wins inside 50. We need to try something different. That's not all on Ben Long, but a 9 disposal 1 behind, 3 tackles game doesn't warrant automatic senior selection for mine.

Both Ross and Long will be key elements of a good St Kilda team, but right now I think they're both a long way from where we and they would like to be.

As for Lonie, I think most St Kilda supporters wrote him off, but we've all been pleasantly surprised since last year. We haven't been the same team without him.

Josh Battle
Club Player

His impact has diminished this year in my opinion. Last week was one of his poorest games in quite a while. Not sure if he is lacking motivation, or lacking the right coaching at the moment. Perhaps he should seek some guidance and mentoring outside the club like from his cousin or his uncle (whenever Timmy gets back from his Italian sojourn)

If he puts in another game similar to the North effort, then I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised if he's 'managed' for a week.
Last edited by Josh Battle on Wed 10 Jul 2019 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Wed 10 Jul 2019 3:48pm

I assume both of those comments are directed at me. I never wrote Seb off previously, he has played some wonderful footy for us and is a vital part of our team, but he is miles off his best at the moment. He's far from alone, but I think he's one who'd benefit from a reality check. When we need him to be a leader, he's been a passenger at best.

Long will be a super player for the Saints, I've got no doubt, he shown fantastic signs, but he's rarely found his best in 2019, if at all. He's been more fortunately than others this year when it comes to selection, but rarely has he grasped the opportunity with both hands. Our forward pressure has been non-existent of late, likewise our ground ball wins inside 50. We need to try something different. That's not all on Ben Long, but a 9 disposal 1 behind, 3 tackles game doesn't warrant automatic senior selection for mine.

Both Ross and Long will be key elements of a good St Kilda team, but right now I think they're both a long way from where we and they would like to be.

As for Lonie, I think most St Kilda supporters wrote him off, but we've all been pleasantly surprised since last year. We haven't been the same team without him.posting.php?mode=edit&f=1&p=1805166
Not directed at you at all. Never even noted that you posted anything negative regarding Seb but plenty on here do. You need to examine your own conscience.

I stick by my post.