How many games better are St kilda if ....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Groovy Guru
Club Player

How many games better are St kilda if ....

The team had a new coach.

Based on this season, if there was a new coach other than Richo what would the perceived Win Loss be at this stage of the season.

Looking at it I would say it would be no better than the 6 wins and 6 losses that the Saints have at the moment and that would have been based on what was available at the start of the season, not with the injuries team has had to deal with so far this year.

Actually it is amazing that the Saints are sitting outside of the top 8 by one game.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: How many games better are St kilda if ....

Groovy Guru wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:07pm The team had a new coach.

Based on this season, if there was a new coach other than Richo what would the perceived Win Loss be at this stage of the season.

Looking at it I would say it would be no better than the 6 wins and 6 losses that the Saints have at the moment and that would have been based on what was available at the start of the season, not with the injuries team has had to deal with so far this year.

Actually it is amazing that the Saints are sitting outside of the top 8 by one game.
Well Mrs. Richardson I reckon you're right, as in I can't see us having won too many more games, other than Freo, West Coast, Collingwood and GWS (all winnable games). Add to that some percentage boost from (hopefully) not bombing inside 50 (as everyone but Cho can see the problem), but yeah... :wink:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

:roll:

Red
Club Player

Yeah we have the leagues best squad. We should have won every game by at least 5 goals.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Put Carlisle Roberton Steven in and we are in the 8.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Groovy Guru
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:39pm

Well Mrs. Richardson I reckon you're right, as in I can't see us having won too many more games, other than Freo, West Coast, Collingwood and GWS (all winnable games). Add to that some percentage boost from (hopefully) not bombing inside 50 (as everyone but Cho can see the problem), but yeah... :wink:
So based on that you think we would be 11 wins and 1 loss ..... on top of the ladder.

Er rightio then :shock:

HighettMan
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:03pm Put Carlisle Roberton Steven in and we are in the 8.
And Hanners and Paddy,

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've been taking this season strictly "one-game-at-a-time" and rather than have a whole stack of expectations as to "where we should be sitting on the ladder" etc etc etc, I simply go along to watch some footy and barrack for my club. Thus far, I've enjoyed the season. True, we haven't been playing "champagne footy" (to say the least) but I have been impressed with the attitude of some of our youngsters to be able to scrap and fight for wins.... (already up by two from 2018) With the addition of our more experienced players like Carlisle and Hannebury we could see a few more wins before season's end. I'm actually happy to see the boys getting those "ugly wins" ......... learning to scrap and scrag for every possession is the way to win at finals time.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
BarryGrogan
Club Player

Sadly, swapping a coach right now, will realistically not be a quick fix.

Given 6 years of terrible strategy and bad habits, it's actually going to take time to rebuild the group.

They will need to relearn how to play a brand of footy that will stand up against good teams in finals.

darylcowie
Club Player

It's not just about how many more games we would have won, it's about how we're playing, same old game plan, same old skill errors after winning contested footy and applying plenty of pressure.

We were lucky to beat the two worst teams in the comp!

Change is needed to freshen up the players and supporters alike.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Strategy? Let's look at recent years

Bruce.... tick
Longer.... cross
Membrey.... huge tick
The Carlisle/Gresham deal..... huge tick
Steele...tick
Dunstan....maybe a tick
Acres....maybe
Roberton...huge tick
Wilkie...tick
Paton....tick
Lonie...tick
Billings...tick
Brown...tick
Battle...tick
Savage...tick
Marshall...tick

We've got a lot of things right and a few few things horribly wrong...like a lot of clubs. We have a good defence, a good forward line and a midfield lacking two top class, fast players. Fix that, and we fix a lot of things

saynta
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:38pm It's not just about how many more games we would have won, it's about how we're playing, same old game plan, same old skill errors after winning contested footy and applying plenty of pressure.

We still won both games. F^^king 100% better than losing, I can tell you.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

In answer to the original question......NONE

Saint supporter since '62
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:19pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:03pm Put Carlisle Roberton Steven in and we are in the 8.
And Hanners and Paddy,
Won't see any of them play seniors this season (yes, I know Stuv played earlier in the season but he looked cooked).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:38pm It's not just about how many more games we would have won, it's about how we're playing, same old game plan, same old skill errors after winning contested footy and applying plenty of pressure.

And we'll beat the fourth worst (last year) on Saturday too.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:54pm Strategy? Let's look at recent years

Bruce.... tick
Longer.... cross
Membrey.... huge tick
Steele...tick
Dunstan....maybe a tick
Acres....maybe
Roberton...huge tick
Wilkie...tick
Paton....tick
Lonie...tick
Billings...tick
Brown...tick
Battle...tick
Savage...tick
Marshall...tick

We've got a lot of things right and a few few things horribly wrong...like a lot of clubs. We have a good defence, a good forward line and a midfield lacking two top class, fast players. Fix that, and we fix a lot of things
A good forward line? Have to disagree there. They don't play like a good forward line.
I loved the win Saturday and even believe it was a better win than we are given credit for actually, but the second lowest half time score ever against the underachieving Gold Coast Suns is clearly not evidence that we have a good forward line.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:22am, edited 1 time in total.

HighettMan
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:54pm Strategy? Let's look at recent years

Bruce.... tick
Longer.... cross
Membrey.... huge tick
Steele...tick
Dunstan....maybe a tick
Acres....maybe
Roberton...huge tick
Wilkie...tick
Paton....tick
Lonie...tick
Billings...tick
Brown...tick
Battle...tick
Savage...tick
Marshall...tick

This is bang on objective. Succinctly describes where things are at.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
barneyboyz
Club Player

Groovy Guru wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 5:07pm
barneyboyz wrote: Mon 17 Jun 2019 4:39pm

So based on that you think we would be 11 wins and 1 loss ..... on top of the ladder.

Er rightio then :shock:
Sorry Groovy, that's not what I was getting at, but all those games were winnable if we had a better method of delivering the ball inside 50 and kicking accurately. Now I don't know about the kicking accuracy, but the 'system' part of that equation is a direct responsibility of the coach. So, in answer to your question, all our losses, apart from probably the Crows and obviously Port were winnable, though became losses because of the coach

older saint
SS Life Member

I actually think early on there was clear change in the coaches thinking and how he went about things, however since the bar was lifted and since the Adelaide game ( kicked ourselves out of it early) there has been a swing back to some of the habits of 2018. Bombing it into the 50, rather than keeping possessions, changing the angles and lowering the eyes and hitting up the shorter option,.
Based on W/L he has done a good job with what we have had available.

To me the question should be does he have the ability to take the next step, he can bring a team from the bottom 4 to 9-12 , we have seen this, but the question is can he then move to 5-8 or above,
The answer to this should decide his future rather than the last 10 games as we have seen 6 years already

barneyboyz
Club Player

older saint wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:02pm I actually think early on there was clear change in the coaches thinking and how he went about things, however since the bar was lifted and since the Adelaide game ( kicked ourselves out of it early) there has been a swing back to some of the habits of 2018. Bombing it into the 50, rather than keeping possessions, changing the angles and lowering the eyes and hitting up the shorter option,.
Based on W/L he has done a good job with what we have had available.

To me the question should be does he have the ability to take the next step, he can bring a team from the bottom 4 to 9-12 , we have seen this, but the question is can he then move to 5-8 or above,
The answer to this should decide his future rather than the last 10 games as we have seen 6 years already
As I mentioned previously, I believe it to be the system as much as anything. There's some footage of Dan running from a centre clearance delivering the footy to a leading King in the two's, simply beautiful and was over in seconds. So, to me now the question is can Richo survive long enough to see enough of and benefit from that scenario?

That is a different question to yours though, and in reference to the OP I think we have been in most games this year (other than possibly two) and a couple of those losses changed to wins obviously puts us well inside the 8

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

With a little bit of luck, injury wise, we could easily be sitting in the bottom part of the eight.

I agree in regards the standard of the first half in Townsville being atrocious, and I also sat on the couch shaking my head, but due to a knee clean up and subsequently a weekend of rest, I also watched the majority of other matches played, and there was nothing to get excited about, believe me. The standard in general in all matches was bordering on ordinary to awful, so maybe we're being a little critical of our mob. Admittedly the first half was the worst half of footy I watched over the weekend, but no other team in the other games had me going wow.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote: Wed 19 Jun 2019 9:45am With a little bit of luck, injury wise, we could easily be sitting in the bottom part of the eight.

I agree in regards the standard of the first half in Townsville being atrocious, and I also sat on the couch shaking my head, but due to a knee clean up and subsequently a weekend of rest, I also watched the majority of other matches played, and there was nothing to get excited about, believe me. The standard in general in all matches was bordering on ordinary to awful, so maybe we're being a little critical of our mob. Admittedly the first half was the worst half of footy I watched over the weekend, but no other team in the other games had me going wow.
I went to the Friday nights game and can do nothing but agree with you ST. No wonder the AFL are sending the PC police up and down the aisles, probably as a ploy to distract us from the crap footy or to ensure we are awake :wink: