Battle: Star

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Battle: Star

Will be considered elite by the end of the year. Or very close to it.
When Carlisle slots back in next year, he'll go to the next level again.

Fantastic game yesterday, in his first real go as a Defender, with no genuine experience around him.

I think he had 7 intercepts, and 16 Effective Disposals.

Jack Steele continues to push toward the elite level, with Billings showing some genuine polish - and now Battle ready to step up, there's some gloss starting to appear.

repta
Club Player

Re: Battle: Star

Is showing great signs.
Hopefully he is given the fresh air to develop and not overburdened with expectations or responsibility.
Will have great games and some lesser games. Is certainly showing signs that he could be an A+ player.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

As Yabby used to say, Crisis creates opportunity. Very good signs

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Needs to be kept in the side. Shows intelligence, courage and poise and is not afraid to back himself.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Really good OP RF and concur.

Beyond the slap and tickle generated about the quality of the game, the 1 point margin and the expectation we should have won big, Josh was one of the massive wins within the win. A big tick to the coach and Josh for taking the risk.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure there was any real risk.

I actually think that is probably Cho's biggest flaw. He perceives risk in absolutely everything!

There is zero risk in trying Battle in defence. Nothing at all to lose.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

He looked good, didn't he?

The kid is only 20. Imagine how good (and versatile) he's going to be for us when he has more than a handful of games under his belt. Good kick, great presence, and a healthy dose of swagger.

Always loyal
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Terrific for his develop.

If he can become a true swingman, that would be massive for us.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Good prospect. Very good. The kid is just a footballer. It's in his DNA.

If he becomes a bit of a swingman then that is massive but when he have Bruce, Membrey and King up forward then Battle is great to have down back.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Might potentially become St.kilda's Jeremy McGovern.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I'd love to think that Battle will become our version of E. Wood; Robbo; Scicily or McGovern. That would be amazing for us. I know he's primarily there as a stop gap as we're so light on for defenders but I have this nagging thing in my guts that we was drafted as a forward; learned all his footy as a forward; has had a couple of good games last year as a forward and now, and yet we're firebombing all of that out of need.

To me - him and Membrey are our two most natural forwards and it would have been amazing to have Robbo intercepting down back whilst Josh begins to create havoc up forward.

I just hope we don't turn him into a merely average defender whilst also not getting the best out of him in his natural position.

Time will tell and I hope for success regardless ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:25pm I'd love to think that Battle will become our version of E. Wood; Robbo; Scicily or McGovern. That would be amazing for us. I know he's primarily there as a stop gap as we're so light on for defenders but I have this nagging thing in my guts that we was drafted as a forward; learned all his footy as a forward; has had a couple of good games last year as a forward and now, and yet we're firebombing all of that out of need.

To me - him and Membrey are our two most natural forwards and it would have been amazing to have Robbo intercepting down back whilst Josh begins to create havoc up forward.

I just hope we don't turn him into a merely average defender whilst also not getting the best out of him in his natural position.

Bob Murray and Darryl Griffith were both recruited as forwards. Turned into one of our best full backs and half backs of all time.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:25pm I'd love to think that Battle will become our version of E. Wood; Robbo; Scicily or McGovern. That would be amazing for us. I know he's primarily there as a stop gap as we're so light on for defenders but I have this nagging thing in my guts that we was drafted as a forward; learned all his footy as a forward; has had a couple of good games last year as a forward and now, and yet we're firebombing all of that out of need.

He trained as a defender all pre-season I thought?

I don't think he was thrown back due to injuries.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:31pm

He trained as a defender all pre-season I thought?

I don't think he was thrown back due to injuries.
He was always going to play back, at least for the start of the season and yes you are correct.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Is our next Sam Fisher who was drafted as a forward (overage) but went down back - mobile, good kick, good intercept mark and went forward on occasions as well

Battle is already in the system though and is younger - good signs :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Decision to play Battle in defence was made late last year and he trained for the line all pre season. Was a fair bit of risk involved.

If Clarko makes the same desission with someone like Sicily who also played all his footy as a forward then it's a a ground breaking move and applauded for its courage in risk taking.

Well done Alan. .

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 4:49pm Decision to play Battle in defence was made late last year and he trained for the line all pre season. Was a fair bit of risk involved.

If Clarko makes the same desission with someone like Sicily who also played all his footy as a forward then it's a a ground breaking move and applauded for its courage in risk taking.

Well done Alan. .
Battle had played 8 games, and kicked 8 in his entire career. We had McCartin, Bruce and Membrey and just recruited King.

Where exactly is the risk in trying Battle in.defence?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 5:34pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 4:49pm Decision to play Battle in defence was made late last year and he trained for the line all pre season. Was a fair bit of risk involved.

Well done Alan. .
Battle had played 8 games, and kicked 8 in his entire career. We had McCartin, Bruce and Membrey and just recruited King.

Ok you are right. It was totally risk free for coach and player.

I'm sure you would have been leading the defence of Alan had he spent all pre season investing in the change and Battle had an absolute shocker yesterday.

Club Player

Galactica!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
Crossy66
Club Player

Really rate Battle and think he will be an A Grader. Watching yesterday, I thought he got caught out of position in the one on ones . But otherwise was good. Still like him up forward - shades of Hamill with his aggression and he is one of our better kicks for goal.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 5:49pm

Well done Alan. .

I'm sure you would have been leading the defence of Alan had he spent all pre season investing in the change and Battle had an absolute shocker yesterday.
I'd be staggered if Cho had anything to do with it to be honest.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:28pm
Bob Murray and Darryl Griffith were both recruited as forwards. Turned into one of our best full backs and half backs of all time.
Barry Lawrence, Luke Penny and Sam Fisher all spring to mind

Fraser Gehrig came as a forward, finished 2nd in our B&F as a FB...(then kicked 100 goals as a FF).

Jake Carlisle has kicked 8 in a game.

The swingman might be more common than we think.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:28pm
Barry Lawrence, Luke Penny and Sam Fisher all spring to mind

Fraser Gehrig came as a forward, finished 2nd in our B&F as a FB...(then kicked 100 goals as a FF).

The swingman might be more common than we think.

Then you've got all those at other clubs: Trent Croad, Chris Tarrant, Robbie Tarrant, Ashley McIntosh, Ted RIchards, Scott Lucas (sometimes); even Liam Jones.

I think being a forward can give them a mindset into what a forward would do, and for those forwards with limited mobility/talent, they can use their smarts to greater effect in defence.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

This just refreshed my memory of the day we flogged Carlton and they put Fev on Gehrig. Great memories.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 6:05pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 25 Mar 2019 5:49pm

Well done Alan. .

I'd be staggered if Cho had anything to do with it to be honest.
Yeah it sounds like you're across it.