Should we let Newnes explore elsewhere?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Should we let Newnes explore elsewhere?

Time rip off the bandaid.

The softly softly days are over, sorry Richo!

Newnes is a big part of the acceptance of mediocrity issue at our club and needs to go

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
damienc
Club Player

Re: Should we let Newnes explore elsewhere?

saintspremiers wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 8:50am Time rip off the bandaid.

The softly softly days are over, sorry Richo!

Newnes is a big part of the acceptance of mediocrity issue at our club and needs to go
You raise an interesting issue. But rather than looking to trade him I would like to get to the reason for his dramatic loss of form. Is it his attitude? Coaching? We know he can play so he has talent. There has to be a road to redemption with this club for him.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Missed some pre-season training so he was behind the 8 ball from the first round. I don't think most people realise how damaging missing junks of the pre-season can be for an AFL footy player. Its part of the reason for his average year.

I wouldn't write him off. Give him a chance this year. At worst, he is a very hand depth player that can play a few positions.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
outside66
Club Player

I dont think so. Newnes is at his best when playing off the back flank/BP not on the wing or half forward where he was positioned for most of the year due to the arrival of Jimmy and games into the likes of Rice, Hunter, Coffield, D-Mac etc.

I would like to see Geary moved up the ground (considering he is the best runner at our club and is tough) either on the wing or in the guts, and Newnes sent back to the backline.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

no way.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, he is a downhill skier who is soft as butter and we aren’t going downhill anytime soon.
If we Get a late 2nd rounder for him that would be a win

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Any nibbles for Newnesy could be worth exploring.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:05am Yes, he is a downhill skier who is soft as butter and we aren’t going downhill anytime soon.
I’m not a big fan of Newnes but this post is keyboard warrior 101 stuff.

Soft as butter?
How many times has he been knocked out putting his head over the ball? I recall two.

Yes he’s no gun or super tough in AFL terms, but above is very poor from the poster.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I think he was poor this year but I agree that he was played out of position
I feel the same about Sinclair as well.
Poor coaching for mine but they both a clean slate this year. Either improve or get cut

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I’ve said it before and will again. He has not been the same player since he got knocked out against Sydney in 2017. Not sure why. But you can almost pinpoint that moment as the start of his decline in form.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Flagless
Club Player

I concur that he is not the same player he was, he does however have talent and when on song is a good kick- he is worth persevering with for at least one more year. I would however delist Armo- he is too slow and a very poor kick- hes been a warrior but the game has passed him by. More than anything else we need speed and elite ball users

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Trade bait.

Absolutely. Would offer him up in a heartbeat for Langdon.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Crossy66
Club Player

Rated highly internally but not so much externally. Personally, i dont feel a strong attachment to any player as in years gone by, so i think anyone is on the table if the deal is right
Last edited by Crossy66 on Thu 11 Oct 2018 1:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

outside66 wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 10:19am I dont think so. Newnes is at his best when playing off the back flank/BP not on the wing or half forward where he was positioned for most of the year due to the arrival of Jimmy and games into the likes of Rice, Hunter, Coffield, D-Mac etc.

I would like to see Geary moved up the ground (considering he is the best runner at our club and is tough) either on the wing or in the guts, and Newnes sent back to the backline.
This is precisely what I've been thinking for ages re: Geary (but not on the wing - that position with the 6/6/6 will mean you need elite footskills out there to hit a forwrd target).

But Geary as a full time tagger. As in a negating player (I don't want him getting the ball). North deploy Jacobs well and WCE regularly use Hutchings that way (very effectively in the GF). There's a role for a pure lock down and Geary is perfect for it.

What Geary isn't perfect for however, is a small-ish running deep defender who's poor decision making and skill execution just slaughters us.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

No. Rather than "let" him explore I'd be hoping that he's ENCOURAGED to explore.

He's the perfect embodiment of the stagnation and mediocrity that now pervades our ranks. He is definitely not rated inside the club as a leader any longer (he was at the start of the year). His 1 tackle in the first 6 rounds showed his poor work rate and lack of desire to try and change the tide when it was running against us. I don't think he's super good at any element of the core football skills and hence, I wouldn't be unhappy to let him go. I'd honestly rather keep him and iron out his weaknesses but I think that ship has sailed.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

That tackle stat still s***s me off.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Royston
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 1:37pm No. Rather than "let" him explore I'd be hoping that he's ENCOURAGED to explore.

He's the perfect embodiment of the stagnation and mediocrity that now pervades our ranks. He is definitely not rated inside the club as a leader any longer (he was at the start of the year). His 1 tackle in the first 6 rounds showed his poor work rate and lack of desire to try and change the tide when it was running against us. I don't think he's super good at any element of the core football skills and hence, I wouldn't be unhappy to let him go. I'd honestly rather keep him and iron out his weaknesses but I think that ship has sailed.
Agree with sounding out a trade....his kicking has some depth to it but no creativity or feel, just bangs it long and hard. Stagnated and if we are developing some younger options in Clark / Coffield amongst them, see what we could get for Newnes. Not our worst but also no huge upside to his game that will make a difference.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

mightysainters wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 11:05am Yes, he is a downhill skier who is soft as butter and we aren’t going downhill anytime soon.
Agree he had a below average season, but soft as butter is a bit harsh

saintadamski
Club Player

Many Newnes fans on here - not sure how or why...all you have to do is watch him play.

It's important to pretend that the player we're discussing is wearing another jumper - say Newnes played for Brisbane for example - not St Kilda

Now ask yourself: "Do I want this player wearing a Saints jumper"
It's called the empathy test

I can't imagine anyone (who is being honest with themselves) would want Newnes at the Saints

So I ask...why want him now?

I believe he is one of the poorest players I have seen in a long time.

I watched him closely at games...never going in hard, never being in the right position, never making plays, and sure as hell never effectively tackling. Also some atrocious turnovers.

I'd be over the moon to see him go....along with Geary, Weller, Armitage, and that whole raft of mediocre senior players.

It's truly the only way forward for this club.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

bigred wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 1:45pm That tackle stat still s***s me off.
Same. That says everything about desire and commitment. As Roo quite rightly noted - you don't have to be a talented player with good skills to tackle; but you do have to have desire and a want to do it.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintadamski wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 2:41pm Many Newnes fans on here - not sure how or why...all you have to do is watch him play.

It's important to pretend that the player we're discussing is wearing another jumper - say Newnes played for Brisbane for example - not St Kilda

I can't imagine anyone (who is being honest with themselves) would want Newnes at the Saints

I watched him closely at games...never going in hard, never being in the right position, never making plays, and sure as hell never effectively tackling. Also some atrocious turnovers.

I'd be over the moon to see him go....along with Geary, Weller, Armitage, and that whole raft of mediocre senior players.

There's a lot of truth and vision in this.

I have the same discussion with Saints supporting mates re: the empathy test and Richo. I don't even have to imagine him in Chris Fagan's polo to know that I wouldn't want him near our players or coaching group.

Crossy66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 3:17pm
saintadamski wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 2:41pm Many Newnes fans on here - not sure how or why...all you have to do is watch him play.

There's a lot of truth and vision in this.

I have the same discussion with Saints supporting mates re: the empathy test and Richo. I don't even have to imagine him in Chris Fagan's polo to know that I wouldn't want him near our players or coaching group.
probably a harsh assessment, no doubt had a terrible season but i think he is better than that. hopefully he and a few others will be on notice next year

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

With Billy Slater now at the club, perhaps Newnes will be instructed to apply more defensive pressure and tackle harder.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintadamski
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 4:38pm With Billy Slater now at the club, perhaps Newnes will be instructed to apply more defensive pressure and tackle harder.
An AFL player needs to be instructed to do that? really?