Positive signs for 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Positive signs for 2019

Following a miserable year where St Kilda has regressed to the bottom of the ladder - as noted in the media "the most disappointing team in 2018", it is time to move on from the despondency expressed on this forum and consider what the future holds.

The catalyst for a positive 2019 will be the release of the review of the football department being conducted by Simon Lethlean, which should happen soon after the home and away rounds are done.

So far, the club has declared that Alan Richardson will remain as Senior Coach and the departure of Tony Elshaug, Simon McPhee, Rohan Welsh and Lindsay Gilbee. Insiders say that there will be a lot more changes in senior personnel in line with Lethlean's statement that the club will give Richardson significant (experienced) support staff to help "make him the best coach possible". We can speculate that someone like Blake Caracella will be top of the list.

The club has also made it clear that they will be seeking to bring some elite experienced players into the team for next year - Hanneberry, Gaff and Lycett have so far been identified and there obviously will be others that will surface once all clubs review their lists.

All of this is good news, and for those who are adamant that Richardson should be sacked, don't despair. Season 2019 will most emphatically be Richardson's watershed year. In fact I have not the slightest doubt that his fate will be decided in the first six rounds, because unless the team starts off well, and by that I mean that they play attacking, accountable and team oriented football, with vastly improved skill levels, Richardson will be replaced as early as Round 7.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Positive signs for 2019

Fair enoug( you want to take a positive view....but it’s too late to say don’t despair. Plenty despairing already. It’s the zero accountability that the most damning. The lame excuses, the spin. Conducting a review that the head coach is excluded from. And disagree all of those changes are positive. If we are indeed strong suitors for Hannebery, that would only be compounding our misery. He looks cooked. Gaff...yep. Lycett...ok yep. Not top draw, but a significant upgrade. But Hannebery.......on big money. Nope.
Last edited by st.byron on Sun 12 Aug 2018 2:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

I love the optimism however perhaps i am too stained by the last month and what i have seen.

Changes will happen at lower levels but no heads will be cut off the rotting body. Money will be spent to be seen to be doing something, trades will be made again for the same reason. A named player will be delisted and while those outside fans Stkilda will be surprised anyone who has watched wont be and will be justified when not selected until late in rookie draft.

the sun will shine over summer with the best pre season ever quoted by several players , and anticipation for our round 1 clash against WB , where despite a strong start we will be run over with 6 minutes of poor football and skill errors put down to rust from pre season, and Hanebery who we gave up pick 4 for indirectly ( getting 10 and 15 ,- 15 sent to Sydney) will jar his knee early and be gone for 6-8 weeks. Meanwhile pick 4 wins rising star nomination in week 1.

... Perhaps i need a holiday :)

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield, Dan McKenzie, Josh Battle, Ben Long, Jack Steele and the emergence of Gresh as an A Grader.

guitars4
Club Player

Agree with all except for Coffield I'm not saying he's a dud just the jury is still out in my opinion. Hopefully we will see a big improvement next year.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You know what a mathematician would say; negative x negative = positive

But also alas: 2018 has seen us short circuit

Will Richo's resignation be the circuit breaker Saints need in 2019?

kaos theory
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 12 Aug 2018 1:34pm Following a miserable year where St Kilda has regressed to the bottom of the ladder - as noted in the media "the most disappointing team in 2018", it is time to move on from the despondency expressed on this forum and consider what the future holds.

The catalyst for a positive 2019 will be the release of the review of the football department being conducted by Simon Lethlean, which should happen soon after the home and away rounds are done.

So far, the club has declared that Alan Richardson will remain as Senior Coach and the departure of Tony Elshaug, Simon McPhee, Rohan Welsh and Lindsay Gilbee. Insiders say that there will be a lot more changes in senior personnel in line with Lethlean's statement that the club will give Richardson significant (experienced) support staff to help "make him the best coach possible". We can speculate that someone like Blake Caracella will be top of the list.

The club has also made it clear that they will be seeking to bring some elite experienced players into the team for next year - Hanneberry, Gaff and Lycett have so far been identified and there obviously will be others that will surface once all clubs review their lists.

All of this is good news, and for those who are adamant that Richardson should be sacked, don't despair. Season 2019 will most emphatically be Richardson's watershed year. In fact I have not the slightest doubt that his fate will be decided in the first six rounds, because unless the team starts off well, and by that I mean that they play attacking, accountable and team oriented football, with vastly improved skill levels, Richardson will be replaced as early as Round 7.
Wishful speculation.

The only positive would be for Richo, Finnis and Summers to get the boot when the home & away season ends.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It is possible we could bounce back in 2019.

Nick Coffield looks like a school boy, patients and a few years in the gym might be beneficial.

Are we considering Aaron Hall as a possible recruit? If not, why not?

DH would be a good get but do we have a plan B?

As has been the pattern all season, the game is taken away from us quickly, on Friday it was in the last 5 minutes of Q2. How does the team stop that happening?
Last edited by Cairnsman on Mon 13 Aug 2018 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I’d like to think that we can “bounce back” in 2019, but realistically, this current malaise bears all the hallmarks of the period 1998-2002. The senior coach is looking increasingly like a fish out of water (in the same way that Watson did)
To be frank, this ( current ) squad and coaching panel are light years from a top eight finish, never mind a flag!
However, IF a completely honest and brutal review of the entire football department is made at season’s end, with a clear PLAN of action being put into place to “right the ship” then we CAN see cause for a positive outlook for 2019, ( even if it’s no more than a climb up the ladder as a start)
I’m about as sick of this season as most Sainters, but have decided to take a deep breath, get myself motivated and down to the dome we call Home for our final two games, and then renew my membership for next season. I have no other alternative really, other than giving up...... and as bad as I’ve felt these past couple of weeks, that’s just not on.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 9:25am I’d like to think that we can “bounce back” in 2019, but realistically, this current malaise bears all the hallmarks of the period 1998-2002. The senior coach is looking increasingly like a fish out of water (in the same way that Watson did)
To be frank, this ( current ) squad and coaching panel are light years from a top eight finish, never mind a flag!
However, IF a completely honest and brutal review of the entire football department is made at season’s end, with a clear PLAN of action being put into place to “right the ship” then we CAN see cause for a positive outlook for 2019, ( even if it’s no more than a climb up the ladder as a start)
I’m about as sick of this season as most Sainters, but have decided to take a deep breath, get myself motivated and down to the dome we call Home for our final two games, and then renew my membership for next season. I have no other alternative really, other than giving up...... and as bad as I’ve felt these past couple of weeks, that’s just not on.
this should be pasted on he club website

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Richo may not have lost the players, but it seems he’s lost the members. Hard to see him turning it around from here, but it’s possible I guess. We’d need to start next season in a blaze of glory. I just don’t see it

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Some green shoots and positives for the night were Ben Long's speccie and goal, Paton's first game and first goal in the AFL as well as Freeman's first goal. The positives are that we definitely have some talented players, but when you have poor coaching and poor discipline it is wasted.

Take Jade Gresham for example. Everyone knows that he could be an A Grader. With better coaching and some clear instruction he becomes more consistent, a better player and a more valuable contributor to the team. We are not going to win games of football in 2019 if we continue to have players making the same mistakes and getting away with selfish undisciplined football. These players deserve better

DJ Higgins
Club Player

It kind of depends what people mean by bounce back. This year we are the worst team in my opinion even if we don't come bottom. We all saw the game on Friday night and our skills are terrible. Will we be this bad next year? I doubt it due to the low bench mark but something has to give.

Richo going now would actually be a bad thing. We need another coach to come in and if we have no one better nothing will have changed except we paid Richo out a stack of cash. Even if he walks we are still down a coach (but we do keep our $).

We have some good young players but our problem has been developing them but we have gotten rid of a few development coaches now so hopefully improvements next year and a new coach at the end of 2019

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 1:28pm Richo may not have lost the players, but it seems he’s lost the members. Hard to see him turning it around from here, but it’s possible I guess. We’d need to start next season in a blaze of glory. I just don’t see it
Should we be putting some faith in judgement of the players? They are after all a lot closer to the source.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 2:17pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 1:28pm Richo may not have lost the players, but it seems he’s lost the members. Hard to see him turning it around from here, but it’s possible I guess. We’d need to start next season in a blaze of glory. I just don’t see it
Should we be putting some faith in judgement of the players? They are after all a lot closer to the source.

I’ve no doubt many of them like Richo and would prefer to stay comfortable in their mediocrity. People tend not to like change, but it’s coming. The whole damn place needs a massive shake-up

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I saw a few positives in the match itself:

1. Brown's bump on Saad means Goddard may get a game at last.
2. Long. Al least he has a go.
3. Paton. Ditto and he can kick.
4. Pierce. Good effort for a second game
5. Marshall. Promising
6. Ross. Developing captain.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Richo seems such a nice bloke I don't see how he could "lose" the players.

But whether he is a good coach and a great motivator is a different thing.

Do you know how they rate his coaching/tactical ability and his game plan?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 3:20pm
Richo seems such a nice bloke I don't see how he could "lose" the players.

But whether he is a good coach and a great motivator is a different thing.

Do you know how they rate his coaching/tactical ability and his game plan?
No idea, but I am guessing if they are still supporting him then they believe they can work thier way out of the current situation by sticking together.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

a negative would be a bounce back next year to mediocre and they decide we're tracking up so let's keep richo for the full contract. if richo stays then at least get the number one pick and a new coach before draft period.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 12 Aug 2018 1:34pm

Seeking is one thing, actually landing players is another. And I am not sure that I want two of them.

Gaff yes, but nothing to suggest is landed ye with many clubs chasing him.

When did Lycett become elite? Does not seem to be a great upgrade on what we have.

Hannebery was very good. Remains to be seen if he will be again.

First two are FAs, but Hannebery needs to traded for. So would want to know what this cost is.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I may be looking at it very pessimistically, but I can’t for the life of me see us recruiting an A grade player from another club while we are travelling the way we are at the moment. Unless we see radical changes in the Football Department and Coaching ranks, this situation is set to continue.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

We've (finally :roll: ) cottoned-on to who should be our ruck/resting forward combo'.

The Freeman is on the park.

Long and BAcres are back on the park.

Robbo' may be back on the park.

The Bruce and Battle will be back on the park.

Clarke, Coffield and Phillips have shown us they'll have what it takes.

Mav' wants to join his bro' up with the Sons of Beaches.

Billy may be taken of our hands for next year.

Gresh' keeps getting better.

Paton looks ok.

Our grrrrrrrrls' team will (finally) be on the park.

Rosputin is back. :D
Con is back. :D (With some help from an expected source, and, also an unexpected source - I've been informed. :wink: )
James Rose is back. :D
Jigging Dave will be back on the bandwagon. :D
ToTheTop didn't go. :D

The supporters will come to terms with some of the toilets being unisex.

and...

Richo' has proven completely incapable of saving himself. The bean counters will therefore simply have to know that it is far cheaper overall to pay him out.

Our new coaches will be supported by Lazar in the newly created role of Director of Tough Love.

So all up, we will be much much better next year. Finals for sure! And don't rule out top four. (You heard it here first, folks. 8-) )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: