Billings in best 4 weeks straight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Billings in best 4 weeks straight

Yep. A very good rebound from adversity from the young fella.

Give him some credit.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings in best 4 weeks straight

Yep, very good game, if only he could manage to kick straight!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Who has had him in the best 4 the last 4 weeks? You? He wasn't in my best last week, that's for sure.
Saying that he was great tonight, but I'll reserve judgment for next week against the tiges. He doesn't have to get 30 and set up 5 goals and kick a couple himself like he did tonight, but I just want to see clean possessions and set up a few. Kicking 1 or 2 would be nice also.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Would be nice if he smiled - doesn't seem to get too excited these days

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
derby Street
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 5:46am Would be nice if he smiled - doesn't seem to get too excited these days
Probably reads the absolute tripe written on Saintsational

Crossy66
Club Player

Turning into a gun. If his kicking for goal could be sorted, he would elite

saynta
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 11:52am
Devilhead wrote: Sat 14 Jul 2018 5:46am Would be nice if he smiled - doesn't seem to get too excited these days
Probably reads the absolute tripe written on Saintsational
Yep.

minneapolis
Club Player

Yeah, I noticed that too. Looked like he had other things on his mind....like he didn't feel that he was playing for the right team.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

There’s a lot of credence given to the best players named both in AFL and VFL.

Does anyone know who names them, what criteria they use and whether they actually watch the game?

I’d rather look at who Saintsational votes for.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Should have been dropped after round four.

Quite seriously some very poor coaching and player management.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Billings did some nice things against sh*t opposition, but his defensive game is poor- especially chasing and keeping the ball in the forward half. If he had Lonie's defensive game as a small forward, he would be top shelf

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Robbo's likes and dislikes.

7. JACK BILLINGS

"Amid a season of fierce criticism, his resurgence began against Gold Coast in Round 13 and was rounded out with a 30-disposal game against Carlton on Friday night. His creativity forward of centre was a standout, hence his game-high 13 score involvements. Where has that been all season? How does a player this talented go missing for 12 games? That’s something for the coach and the player to work out, but probably more the player. The positive is he’s found his groove and let’s hope next year that starts at Round 1. His 30 touches was well above his season average of 21."

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 10:43am Billings did some nice things against sh*t opposition, but his defensive game is poor- especially chasing and keeping the ball in the forward half. If he had Lonie's defensive game as a small forward, he would be top shelf

He was probably instructed to seek space so that he can be damaging setting up play. So I think that you are comparing apples and organges.

Whereas Weller, Lonie and Clark were probably instructed to tackle and harass when possible.

PS: Not saying that he cannot learn to tackle better, just that it was not his role to apply pressure in our forward line.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stkfc1
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 11:32am
spert wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 10:43am Billings did some nice things against sh*t opposition, but his defensive game is poor- especially chasing and keeping the ball in the forward half. If he had Lonie's defensive game as a small forward, he would be top shelf

He was probably instructed to seek space so that he can be damaging setting up play. So I think that you are comparing apples and organges.

Whereas Weller, Lonie and Clark were probably instructed to tackle and harass when possible.

PS: Not saying that he cannot learn to tackle better, just that it was not his role to apply pressure in our forward line.
Actually kept an eye on Lonie and must say his harrasment/ pressure in the forward line was excellent. He's just not strong enough though. Was too easily brushed off in some tackles but his endeavour couldn't be questioned.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 4:26pm
Yeah, I noticed that too. Looked like he had other things on his mind....like he didn't feel that he was playing for the right team.
complete garbage, he loves the club and his team mates. He is a great kid, very respectful.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Billings had 30 touches, kicked a couple (should have been 4-5), dominated his opponents and had 13 score involvements (which is massive!). Yet he still cops flack and supporters reckon he's not interested or wants to be out there....are you for real?

He has been in the best players every week since returning - 4 weeks straight. He is a serious and well educated kid that is professional. He is also a self confessed footy nerd. He doesn't need to smile all day and celebrate on the footy field like Daisy Thomas to prove that.

Supporters need to start laying off him. He is still young and will be hitting his true peak in a couple of years. He is in our best 18 and will be for the next 10 years. He will get even better when the Saints get better due to the way he plays.

f***, some people have zero footy knowledge on here.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
ace
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Sun 15 Jul 2018 4:26pm
He was probably thinking "no matter how well I play creepy Cripps will always be better".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 1:37pm Billings had 30 touches, kicked a couple (should have been 4-5), dominated his opponents and had 13 score involvements (which is massive!). Yet he still cops flack and supporters reckon he's not interested or wants to be out there....are you for real?

He has been in the best players every week since returning - 4 weeks straight. He is a serious and well educated kid that is professional. He is also a self confessed footy nerd. He doesn't need to smile all day and celebrate on the footy field like Daisy Thomas to prove that.

Supporters need to start laying off him. He is still young and will be hitting his true peak in a couple of years. He is in our best 18 and will be for the next 10 years. He will get even better when the Saints get better due to the way he plays.

I'm sorry but sensible posting is not welcome here. This is a forum for rating our players based on facial expressions only!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Moods
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 1:37pm Billings had 30 touches, kicked a couple (should have been 4-5), dominated his opponents and had 13 score involvements (which is massive!). Yet he still cops flack and supporters reckon he's not interested or wants to be out there....are you for real?

Unlike you who has brilliant footy knowledge??

Billings will hit his peak in a couple of years?? What's that rubbish? Meanwhile players taken in the same draft are winning their club's B&F and making AA teams. He is no longer a kid, so stop babying him. He has played 5 years of AFL football and is one of our highest paid players. He is not a KPP where the strength and skills can take years to develop. I've never heard so many excuses for a player.

The facts are, he knows where the football is. He has fantastic balance. He makes way too many unforced errors for a player drafted so early and whose main attributes is meant to be his skill level. You said it yourself. He should have kicked 4-5 goals. Why didn't he? It happens every week; he has great opportunities to score but stuffs it up too many times. A first year player you can forgive and be excited by the fact that they are in the right positions. A 5th year player who is picked to score and create goals? No I can't overlook that.

He's played a few good games this year, but too many poor ones for a guy of his standing at the club. If we are to be any good in the future he simply has to be better. Far better than what he has displayed this year. Friday night was a good start against pitiful opposition

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 6:27pm

Unlike you who has brilliant footy knowledge??

Billings will hit his peak in a couple of years?? What's that rubbish? Meanwhile players taken in the same draft are winning their club's B&F and making AA teams. He is no longer a kid, so stop babying him. He has played 5 years of AFL football and is one of our highest paid players. He is not a KPP where the strength and skills can take years to develop. I've never heard so many excuses for a player.

The facts are, he knows where the football is. He has fantastic balance. He makes way too many unforced errors for a player drafted so early and whose main attributes is meant to be his skill level. You said it yourself. He should have kicked 4-5 goals. Why didn't he? It happens every week; he has great opportunities to score but stuffs it up too many times. A first year player you can forgive and be excited by the fact that they are in the right positions. A 5th year player who is picked to score and create goals? No I can't overlook that.

He's played a few good games this year, but too many poor ones for a guy of his standing at the club. If we are to be any good in the future he simply has to be better. Far better than what he has displayed this year. Friday night was a good start against pitiful opposition
Entitled to your opinion but I don't agree. He is better than what you think. He has had a good career overall so far. No one is babying Jack. Step back for a sec and realise he still has another 10 years in his career. There is tons of improvement left in him.

Our team was so good in 09 and 10 because all of our best players were basically 25 and over. That is when the peak years hit for a player. Its a proven formula. Look at the age of all the Tigers best players - A graders.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I'm hoping he has a Goddard-like arc.

You'll remember that BJ oozed talent but made a lot of unforced errors in his first few years.
Only in 2007 did he step up and became one of the best players in the comp by 2010.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 16 Jul 2018 8:11pm I'm hoping he has a Goddard-like arc.

You'll remember that BJ oozed talent but made a lot of unforced errors in his first few years.
Only in 2007 did he step up and became one of the best players in the comp by 2010.
Yep. It took him many seasons to eventually become A grade and he was the no 1 pick. He finally got in the AA side in his 7th season.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Billings last 4 games.
Suns - 27 disposals
Demons - 24 "
Power - 22 "
Blues - 30 "
Average - 26 "

Pretty good 4 weeks for a HFF.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Our team was so good in 09 and 10 because all of our best players were basically 25 and over. That is when the peak years hit for a player. Its a proven formula. Look at the age of all the Tigers best players - A graders.

This comment doesn't explain 04/05. Roo. Lenny. BJ. Ball. Dal. Maguire. Hudghton.

Nor does it explain the Dogs of 2016, the hawks of 08, bombers of 93, even pies of 2010/11.

I'm not saying that the above quote isn't true. To win a flag everything has to align. However we haven't even made finals in the past 7 years. And all you have to do to qualify is be in the top 40% of teams. So if our young guns were actually any good, we would have qualified for finals, then as they reached their peak then we would have a genuine crack at the flag. To not even make finals suggests that the drafting development of these kids is poor and these kids simply aren't as good as other clubs kids. (who are making finals)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 17 Jul 2018 2:51pm Our team was so good in 09 and 10 because all of our best players were basically 25 and over. That is when the peak years hit for a player. Its a proven formula. Look at the age of all the Tigers best players - A graders.

This comment doesn't explain 04/05. Roo. Lenny. BJ. Ball. Dal. Maguire. Hudghton.

Nor does it explain the Dogs of 2016, the hawks of 08, bombers of 93, even pies of 2010/11.

I'm not saying that the above quote isn't true. To win a flag everything has to align. However we haven't even made finals in the past 7 years. And all you have to do to qualify is be in the top 40% of teams. So if our young guns were actually any good, we would have qualified for finals, then as they reached their peak then we would have a genuine crack at the flag. To not even make finals suggests that the drafting development of these kids is poor and these kids simply aren't as good as other clubs kids. (who are making finals)
We only missed out on the finals last year by the length of a bee's dick.