a win like yesterday v. tanking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

a win like yesterday v. tanking

To all those who have proposed tanking recently

No contest really, a win every time

In terms of a club building a culture, how can you even think tanking

For young players to put yesterday into their memory banks and help them believe in themselves and the club .... yeah tanking will really help there...not

And to those who still believe in tanking, tell me one club who has done it and it has assisted them in becoming a better club

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: a win like yesterday v. tanking

I think it all depends on how they play the rest of the year out. If they just go back to the same crap they dished up at the start of the year then yesterday’s win was pointless.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Never tank. Ever. Always play to win.

Draft is somewhat of a lottery anyway. You’re equally as likely to get a gun player at 3-5 as you are at 1-2. IMO

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I don't think it's pointless even then, dud - you can learn from mistakes but can't learn anything from not trying.

stonecold
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 2:18pm I don't think it's pointless even then, dud - you can learn from mistakes but can't learn anything from not trying.
Dud doesn't like to win, thus he is always calling for Hickledik to play!!!!! ;)

Win at any cost!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
St Loxton
Club Player

Must aim to win at all costs
Player belief and development
Must keep it up for the rest of the season and take down some big scalps.
Then we start to become attractive to potential FA's and trade options.
At this stage we will still get a top 5 pick, and that's OK with me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Just the atmosphere from a win versus that for a loss makes tanking unthinkable.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Great post and totally agree.

Tanking did nothing for any club. Its still hurting Melbourne and its fans.

That win could potentially help turn the club around from here. It was a great expierence and confidence booster for our young fellas like Membrey, Battle, Paddy, Joyce, Steele, Gresham, Billings, etc. and the over 25's age wise on our list.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 4:21pm Great post and totally agree.

Tanking did nothing for any club. Its still hurting Melbourne and its fans.

That win could potentially help turn the club around from here. It was a great expierence and confidence booster for our young fellas like Membrey, Battle, Paddy, Joyce, Steele, Gresham, Billings, etc. and the over 25's age wise on our list.
tony 74 has said all year that the boys just need a win and things will turn around.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 2:18pm I don't think it's pointless even then, dud - you can learn from mistakes but can't learn anything from not trying.
I’m not saying to tank, just that if they don’t show anything in the latter half of the year I think it shows they learnt nothing from the win.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

We have had a bad first half of a season, it happens. It is too early to say we have turned a corner but the biggest plus for me yesterday was the game plan. Amazing what happens when players don't just handball to anyone running passed and not long bombing into 50.
Happy with the win but i am hoping to see the kids getting more games even if it costs are a victory. Joyce got a huge lesson yesterday about what the next level is all about and will probably return to Sandy with a fresh outlook on what it takes to play AFL and work even harder. Time for Paton to get a game as he has been in the squad a few times now.

St.Roly
Club Player

If you watch a win with your kids, it gives you another perspective on why every opportunity to win matters. It builds their emotional attachment to the club.

I watched this one with my 11 y.o. streamed to my iPad in Hawaii. Not the same as being there but he was still pumping his fist in delight.

portosaint
Club Player

I most definitely felt at the time that the win against GC papered over many cracks. Just the fact we were rubbish for 80% of the match and stole it at the death against a fellow cellar dweller. I didn't want ANY heat taken off the club.

But to win the way we did against Melbourne made me all warm and fuzzy. And if the catalyst for that was some belief from the previous win, then I was obviously wrong.

Mm mm... Humble pie

saynta
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 6:48pm I most definitely felt at the time that the win against GC papered over many cracks. Just the fact we were rubbish for 80% of the match and stole it at the death against a fellow cellar dweller. I didn't want ANY heat taken off the club.

But to win the way we did against Melbourne made me all warm and fuzzy. And if the catalyst for that was some belief from the previous win, then I was obviously wrong.

Mm mm... Humble pie
We were actually okay for 3/4 of the Suns game.

We did get flogged in the third quarter though.

portosaint
Club Player

Yeah thats fair enough.

I had a differing opinion... Both teams were extremely bad. It was a horrible advertisement. But we were worse than a really bad team for most of it.

Water under the bridge now.

stjohnc
Club Player

St.Roly wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 5:47pm If you watch a win with your kids, it gives you another perspective on why every opportunity to win matters. It builds their emotional attachment to the club.

I watched this one with my 11 y.o. streamed to my iPad in Hawaii. Not the same as being there but he was still pumping his fist in delight.
Quite right
My 7 yr old grandson (and member) was getting teased at school for wearing his saints gear but he wore it anyway

Danced a jig after we won, happier still that we had moved up the ladder

Wears the jumper with pride now

A win over tanking everyday

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 02 Jul 2018 5:39pm We have had a bad first half of a season, it happens. It is too early to say we have turned a corner but the biggest plus for me yesterday was the game plan. Amazing what happens when players don't just handball to anyone running passed and not long bombing into 50.
Happy with the win but i am hoping to see the kids getting more games even if it costs are a victory. Joyce got a huge lesson yesterday about what the next level is all about and will probably return to Sandy with a fresh outlook on what it takes to play AFL and work even harder. Time for Paton to get a game as he has been in the squad a few times now.
Good response
I’ve not seen evidence where any AFL club has consistently (for half a season) tanked.
What I have seen is clubs recognise where they are at pragmatically and move to developing kids through game time
Beating Melb was nice but I’m still more interested in exploring who can play/who can’t etc building games into McCartin and co (I think he might come good if he stays healthy) that’s my measure of success
If that’s a better draft pick - cream, thanks AFL.

“Yeah….nah””