6 tackles tonight for Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

6 tackles tonight for Newnes

Thought this was worth a thread...

The kid has rightly copped some criticism and at least appears capable of listening and taking it on.

Really good response tonight. Is it just me or has he steadily improved over the last 2-3 games?

Good to see some ticker

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Re: 6 tackles tonight for Newnes

12 tackle Jack.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
realdeal
Club Player

This should be his base level.. I dont think anyone is giving an experienced 25yo player props just because he's tackled a couple of players over 2 games. He has a long way to go..

stkfc1
Club Player

I believe the problem for Jack is his reponse time in the game. A few times last night he had the chance to move the ball quickly but he hesitates a fraction of a second too long and then when the opportunity disappears, he then falls back too ' try to kick the skin of it' and usually ends up in the op hands. A fellow sainter brought this up to me, who as gone to few games this year and kept an eye on him. He said there is always a moments hesitation with him but unfortunately its not like a Dal Santo momment where time stands still and he picks the best option. He has no vision in the game so will just hack it anywhere and it usually ends up in a turnover or putting someone else under the pump. Unfortunately I just dont think he's a very smart footballer. Now I'm not calling Jack personally stupid here, I just dont think his brain is fast enough to keep up with the game and due to that he make s some dumb decisions.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I can understand people not being enthusiastic about a loss, but when we give effort like that surely they can see we have turned the corner.

Good game by Newnes and is improving each week in the last couple!

aaron82
Club Player

I believe Newnes may have had shoulder surgery around Christmas time hence his lack of tackles this year. He has had no strength in it and hasn’t been able to stick a tackle. His worst is better than a lot of our 2nds player best and that’s why he keeps getting a game. I’d say it is starting to improve and his second half of the year will be a lot better

and that's the bottom line
saint64
Club Player

I thought he was good last night. Seems to have gotten some of his mojo back. Does he use his left side much though?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Newnes is a good depth player.
Should be between number 22-26 on the list.
Because of the weakness of this team he had been given automatic selection. He is at a level that he needs to be absolutely busting his ass to stay in.
Clark and Coffield will go ahead of him, as will Long and Phillips.
If Paton can play, and White and Rice hold their spots, then Newnes will be in the right zone....on the edge of selection.

Nee!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

He's in our top 10 IMO. When he's playing well he is a very valuable member, again IMO. Super courageous and is developing into a more versatile player which maybe explains why he looks a different player this year.