two first round picks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

two first round picks

I know it is a while off but i really hope we go to the draft with our two first round picks next year.

Happy to go for a restricted free agent and / or free agent and also happy to trade with our other picks (no idea what else we have with all teh ins and outs) but i really hope we take our pick and hawthorns pick to the draft and get some top end talent. We will need it in the long run and to trade away or do our double down trick eg swap a 1st rounder for 2 second rounders is not what we need at this point in time. We need top end talent and should trust our recruiters to deliver.

#1 Ryder fan
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: two first round picks

Or bundle our two first rounders to someone like Carlton who are desperate for multiple top 20's, for their top pick. We need a genuine elite player or two.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

keep our 2 selections and pick quick quick quick but tough midfielders with elite kicking

bring in restricted and unrestricted free agents

fyfe and pittard will do me (Dusty or rRckliff as back up if Fyfe is a no go) ... because you know what you are getting with these guys for 5 years

Leave the kids at GWS and Gold Coast for others to extract for a pretty penny

Pick and grow our own talented kids to join a strong collection of kids

From here on in - our first rounder has to be a pick / second rounder traded for mid term needs / third rounder - the best under age kid

And bring in unrestricted agents for specific short term needs for 2-3 seasons - like Brown

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Griggsy
SS Life Member

BackFromUSA wrote:keep our 2 selections and pick quick quick quick but tough midfielders with elite kicking

fyfe and pittard will do me (Dusty or rRckliff as back up if Fyfe is a no go) ... because you know what you are getting with these guys for 5 years

Leave the kids at GWS and Gold Coast for others to extract for a pretty penny

Pick and grow our own talented kids to join a strong collection of kids

From here on in - our first rounder has to be a pick / second rounder traded for mid term needs / third rounder - the best under age kid

And bring in unrestricted agents for specific short term needs for 2-3 seasons - like Brown
what, no fyfe and dusty option? :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Trade up and get​ Joel Garner.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

We will possibly have two top 10 picks available. Must be used on the best midfield talent available. Hopefully free agency compensation to other clubs doesn't push us too far down the order(unless the free agency is used by us of course).

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
wally
Club Player

I suggest we either trade for good young talent- Coll getting Treloar, Melb getting Tyson,Haw...Mitchell, or use high draft picks to get best available mids.

We have to develop our own elite players although it takes time.

I worry that we are unable to attract big names , it seems a lot choose more big name clubs clubs.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

GT wouldn't trade a top ten pick.

saint-stu
Club Player

Selhurst Saint wrote:We will possibly have two top 10 picks available. Must be used on the best midfield talent available. Hopefully free agency compensation to other clubs doesn't push us too far down the order(unless the free agency is used by us of course).
Agree with this. If we could get two top 10 midfielders plus either Fyfe or Dusty as a free agent, we will be locked and loaded!

1ac46a38
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We keep creaming ourselves over this. It's why we've never won another flag. Hawthorn showed us how it's been done, again and again. Be bold in trading. We blew it again with O'Meara. We'll never win another flag with our shitful approach. Too conservative. History has shown us that we lack the balls to go for it.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

way to early to think about as we don't have a clue what picks we will get i.e picks 11 and 12 are a lot different to picks 8 and 6. I would be happy with getting 2 top ten players to be honest especially as all signs to this year being a great year. Obviously we want players ready out of the box. Lets just cool the jets for a while.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:We keep creaming ourselves over this. It's why we've never won another flag. Hawthorn showed us how it's been done, again and again. Be bold in trading. We blew it again with O'Meara. We'll never win another flag with our shitful approach. Too conservative. History has shown us that we lack the balls to go for it.
Hawthorn built their own side from scratch to win in 2008.
It is easy to be bold in trading when you already have a flag and players want to come to you.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:keep our 2 selections and pick quick quick quick but tough midfielders with elite kicking
Would you like them coated in gold too? Young guys showing "the lot" like you say above go picks 1 to 3. This is the problem with our quick bounce back from the bottom and screwing around in the middle of the ladder. YOu don't get the super high picks to maximise your chances at real quality. Brisbane could well pack their McLuggage on their trip this weekend - no. 2 pick I think to go with Beams, Zorko & Rockcliff.

suss
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
White Winmar wrote:We keep creaming ourselves over this. It's why we've never won another flag. Hawthorn showed us how it's been done, again and again. Be bold in trading. We blew it again with O'Meara. We'll never win another flag with our shitful approach. Too conservative. History has shown us that we lack the balls to go for it.
It is easy to be bold in trading when you already have a flag and players want to come to you.
When did the Burgoyne trade happen (genuinely can't recall)? That was bold and paid off big time. Gibson was bold too. As was McEvoy.

They got Gunston for cheap and Lake was low risk. They've been lucky but brave as well. There's a saying about that I think.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

suss wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
When did the Burgoyne trade happen (genuinely can't recall)? That was bold and paid off big time. Gibson was bold too. As was McEvoy.

They got Gunston for cheap and Lake was low risk. They've been lucky but brave as well. There's a saying about that I think.
They akso had the salary cap space to fit them in. Same with Collingwood when they got Jolly and Ball. Our salary cap was maxed out so we couldn't go shopping like they could.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Trade up and get​ Joel Garner.
Why?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote: We blew it again with O'Meara. We'll never win another flag with our shitful approach. Too conservative. History has shown us that we lack the balls to go for it.
Good decision not to go for O'Meara. Two games doesn't mean much given his history. He's still a massive risk. Let's see him get through a whole season and then another before we start thinking we missed out.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
If you mean guns then:

- Restricted: There are none available, and these days clubs don't let the guns become RFAs.

- Unrestricted: The way it has become RFA's end up having to be traded for.

Dusty. Richmond would be happy to match a RFA deal. So for someone like Dusty I supect that you would need to trade.

Fyffe. however iIf Freo continue to self-destruct and finish near last then as the compo would be better, they may decide that matching a monster offer is not in their best interests.

GWS Young Guns: Only way to secure is by trade.

So as it stands the most likely way for StKilda to gain a ready to play Gun mid would be by trading. Such a trade would probably take 2 of our 3 available first rounders (ie We have 2 in 2017, and 1 from 2018 that we can trade).

We can keep our picks to use for ourselves. At present these will be good picks (ie before Academy re-arranging say picks 7 and 9) , but most likely outside the Guns range.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....