How does the draft bidding system work?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goddard Magic
Club Player

How does the draft bidding system work?

GWS has picks 2, 15, 37, 39, 45, 52, 55, 57, 58, 59, 60, 77, 109, 127.

They say they will use pick 2 to select the best player available after Bummers first pick.

Then they will bid on their academy players.

How does this work in practice?

Rosco
Club Player

Re: How does the draft bidding system work?

They match bids on their academy players if made by other clubs. They would never pick their own academy players until they start running out of list spots (they'll take their academy players as late as possible so that they can draft others they want, as they can trump someone else's attempt to draft one of their academy players).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Goddard Magic wrote:GWS has picks 2, 15, 37, 39, 45, 52, 55, 57, 58, 59, 60, 77, 109, 127.

They say they will use pick 2 to select the best player available after Bummers first pick.

Then they will bid on their academy players.

How does this work in practice?
Simple example for GWS:

Pick 2 - Andrew McGrath
Pick 9 Swans bid on Will Setterfield - GWS agree to match this. Pick 9 is worth 1469 points with 20% discount is 1175 points.
Pick 15 is 1,112 points. They then lose 63 points from a later pick. And so on.

With all those points they could end up with McGrath plus three Academy players.
I think you can guarantee they get all three of McGrath, Setterfield and Perryman. All ranked as top 10 picks by Callum Twomey.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-13/c ... er-edition

So what we have here is the team that finished third in 2016 getting 3 top 10 draft picks plus Deledio,.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
So what we have here is the team that finished third in 2016 getting 3 top 10 draft picks plus Deledio,.
And ...... if Geelong stink it up (at least less chance than Carlton doing so) we could have the premiers getting the #1 draft pick.

This is wrong on so many levels (unless we win the cup next year and Hawthorn the spoon)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

THE AFL would like you to think in terms of the academy clubs receiving a discount of 20% on players called at pick 1 to 17 and a flat 197 points thereafter.
Discounts sound reasonable but I am not a fan of political correctness like the AFL.
A far simpler way to view the system is to call it a bonus of 25% on players called at pick 1 to 17 and a flat 197 points thereafter.
A far too inflammatory word for the AFL.

So how does the bonus work. Let me use examples.

Lets say an academy player is called at pick 1
But the academy club has pick 2.
They use pick 2 (2517pts) to trump pick 1
2400 pts are consumed 2400 x 1.25 trumps pick 1(3000pts).
Pick 1 suddenly becomes pick 2 only worth 2517 points to its owner.
The remainder from pick 2, 117pts is retained, I will call it pick A. But where does it go ?
Pick A points slots it in behind pick 62(123pts)
Pick 63 onwards are forced down in the pecking order but retain their existing points ? I think, not sure on this, help needed ?

Now lets repeat that but this time the academy club only has pick 3
They use pick 3 (2234pts) to trump pick 1
All 2234 pts are consumed 2234 x 1.25 = 2792 pts is insufficient to trump pick 1(3000pts).
It is 208pts short but a further 166 pts x 1.25 will do the trick.
Those 166 points must be trimmed off the academy clubs NEXT pick.
They have say pick 20 (912pts) so pick 20 becomes pick A worth 746 pts.
Because pick 20 has been played all picks after 20 move up the order but retain their original points.
But wait Pick A slots in behind the original pick 25(756 pts), so only picks 21 to 25 really get moved up the order.
Pick A effectively will effectively become pick 26.

Now if the academy club runs out of points they must use their picks in order from the following year except that first round picks are exempt from being forced into use.

This is my understanding of how it works but I will accept correction from those who genuinely know.
Last edited by ace on Mon 24 Oct 2016 12:25pm, edited 7 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

Now back in 2015 the academy clubs traded away their first round picks for multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks getting point gains in the process.
They then deployed multiple picks to gain their academy players.
It was not what the AFL had intended.
But the clubs employ much smarter people (on less pay) than the AFL.
So this year only picks that have been activated by vacant slots on the senior list can be deployed.
Any non activated picks and their associated points can not be used.
They can not use remainder points to take more players than they have vacant slots.

This year
Gold Coast has picks 4, 6, 8, 10, 73. They will activate the first 4.

GWS has picks 2, 15, 37, 39, 45, 52, 55, 57, 58, 59, 60.
They don't need players picked in the 50s, but they may have a strategy to activate all those picks and associated points.
They are in the process of reducing the number on their list, they could be bringing forward that reduction to gain advantage.
They hope to use pick 2 before their first academy player is called then use pick 15 on him.
They can then use that array of picks to get their remaining academy players as they did last year.

Brisbane has picks 3, 16, 21, 22. They will activate all 4.

Sydney has picks 9, 19, 46, 49. They will activate all 4, but remember Sydney always goes into the season with 1 or 2 vacant slots on their list.
They don't retain list cloggers.

Each of these academy clubs will have positioned themselves to execute strategies that give them the best use of their available bonuses.
They will also exploit the "I will go home " bonus as well.
Other clubs are reluctant to bid for academy players for fear they will want to return North.
They leave it to others to bid for these players.
It means that when an academy player finally does get called he has already slipped way too far down the draft order.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Now back in 2015 the academy clubs traded away their first round picks for multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks getting point gains in the process.
They then deployed multiple picks to gain their academy players.
It was not what the AFL had intended.
But the clubs employ much smarter people (on less pay) than the AFL.
So this year only picks that have been activated by vacant slots on the senior list can be deployed.
Any non activated picks and their associated points can not be used.
They can not use remainder points to take more players than they have vacant slots.

This year
Gold Coast has picks 4, 6, 8, 10, 73. They will activate the first 4.

GWS has picks 2, 15, 37, 39, 45, 52, 55, 57, 58, 59, 60.
They don't need players picked in the 50s, but they may have a strategy to activate all those picks and associated points.
They are in the process of reducing the number on their list, they could be bringing forward that reduction to gain advantage.
They hope to use pick 2 before their first academy player is called then use pick 15 on him.
They can then use that array of picks to get their remaining academy players as they did last year.

Brisbane has picks 3, 16, 21, 22. They will activate all 4.

Sydney has picks 9, 19, 46, 49. They will activate all 4, but remember Sydney always goes into the season with 1 or 2 vacant slots on their list.
They don't retain list cloggers.

Each of these academy clubs will have positioned themselves to execute strategies that give them the best use of their available bonuses.
They will also exploit the "I will go home " bonus as well.
Other clubs are reluctant to bid for academy players for fear they will want to return North.
They leave it to others to bid for these players.
It means that when an academy player finally does get called he has already slipped way too far down the draft order.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!