not there in 2017?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

not there in 2017?

Delisted/Retired: Fisher , Murdoch, Holmes (2 weeks to show what he has, underwhelming on Saturday), Shenton( performed for many weeks in VFL now and still not getting a game?), Lee, Delaney, Curren.

In the world of have to give to get i would also not be surprised to see one of Lonie, Sinclair, Templeton, traded with picks for a better quality player, especially considering no 2nd round pick this year.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: not there in 2017?

agree with your list, except I cant see Fisher, Delaney and Lee all being cut in the same year. One or possibly both of Delaney and Lee will be kept imho - and they may try and delay any decision on those 2 for as long as possible to see how HG is tracking in his recovery and what condition JC comes back in.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Lonie Sinclair and Eli have no trade value bar maybe third round pick.

If Fisher is finished then I hope he announces his retirement this week so he can get a proper send off against Brisbane

I'm not 100% convinced he's done, but it seems very likely

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The_President
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Lonie Sinclair and Eli have no trade value bar maybe third round pick.

If Fisher is finished then I hope he announces his retirement this week so he can get a proper send off against Brisbane

I'm not 100% convinced he's done, but it seems very likely

Chips won't go around again, even if he wants to. Richo has already made the call.

As for players not having much value, Ty Vickery is a genuine spud and the Hawks have offered him 3 years - can you imagine Richmond fans if he comes good next year at the Hawks. Wow

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

How many do we have to get rid of ?

Surely the players out of contract would be the first to fill these spots .
Fish , shenton , lee , etc...

In red white and black from 73
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair, Lonie or Templeton are possible "steak knives", nothing more. I think they'll keep Lee, but Delaney, Curren and Shenton are as good as gone. Pick 9/10 is on the table, I understand, along with Longer and the above mentioned. Steele, Marchbank, Hoskin Elliott and Mitchell are targets. Any two of those would make me very happy. Do it Saints.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The_President
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Sinclair, Lonie or Templeton are possible "steak knives", nothing more. I think they'll keep Lee, but Delaney, Curren and Shenton are as good as gone. Pick 9/10 is on the table, I understand, along with Longer and the above mentioned. Steele, Marchbank, Hoskin Elliott and Mitchell are targets. Any two of those would make me very happy. Do it Saints.

I think it would be a massive mistake to get rid on Lonie. Only his second season, he's already shown that he's a craft small forward.
Once he builds up his take & body he could be a new age Milne. And with the three bigs down there, he'll get plenty of opportunities!

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_President wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Sinclair, Lonie or Templeton are possible "steak knives", nothing more. I think they'll keep Lee, but Delaney, Curren and Shenton are as good as gone. Pick 9/10 is on the table, I understand, along with Longer and the above mentioned. Steele, Marchbank, Hoskin Elliott and Mitchell are targets. Any two of those would make me very happy. Do it Saints.

I think it would be a massive mistake to get rid on Lonie. Only his second season, he's already shown that he's a craft small forward.
Once he builds up his take & body he could be a new age Milne. And with the three bigs down there, he'll get plenty of opportunities!
Lonie will never be a Milne, never!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:

Agreed T P, but you've got to give something good to get something good. GWS are after a quality small forward and Lonie fits the bill. I understand they are not interested in Longer. If we are somehow going to snag one or more of their young, sidelined guns, Jack may interest them and convince them to do a deal.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I would hope that moving on Sinclair, Templeton or Lonie wouldn't even be considered! Why would we erode the depth we're building? Why would you write off players with obvious talent after one season?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:
The_President wrote:

Milne wasn't much better than Lonie in his second season.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Linton Lodger wrote:
stonecold wrote:
The_President wrote:

So, your happy to state Jack will be as good as Yappa long-term then?????

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
stonecold wrote:
The_President wrote:

In that case lets get rid of McCartin because he is not going to be as good as Lockett

While we are at Gresham can F*** off as well - he wouldnt be fit to tie Banger's shoelace

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The_President
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
stonecold wrote:
The_President wrote:

Stonecold is just thirsty for someone else to make a big grand statement like he does.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

The_President wrote:

Agree with that, have to give these young kids some time,and whilst he's not been prominent this season, I thought he showed some real promise last year, definitely worth one more year.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think the obvious call are those out of contract and out of time - Murdoch, Curren, Shenton, Saunders - all have been on the list long enough to make it and haven't shown enough at the highest level.

Fisher is finished, he needs to know his body cant stand up to another preseason and another 22 games.

The obvious guys out of contract that will be kept are Geary & Dempster.

Those who are under contract for next season are safe, probably the only one who offers more at the trade table than he does to St Kilda is Longer, but that has been (and will be) debated at great length over the next 8 weeks!! Guys like Lonie and Sinclair would play AFL at other clubs, but no club is gonna offer what we think they'd be worth (considering they are both only in their 2nd years and can develop plenty from here)

Holmes has one attribute that is really great, but many attributes that are poor. He either needs to be delisted or promoted this year, and if we are set on playing 1 ruckman, then having 4 on the main list is 1 too many, when we know Hickey and Longer are both AFL quality, and Pierce has shown plenty.

Lee and Delaney offer depth down back - i think we keep one, perhaps on the rookie list, and the other one moves on.

Then the maybe's - Minchington, I don't think he has shown enough over his 5 seasons at the club. Templeton, in his 3rd year but one was pretty much completely wiped with his broken arm, I think he stays and is just in Richo's tough love stage. Wright, I reckon he would be loved by Richo, similar to Geary, obviously there are deficiencies with his game but you know what you are gonna get.

So, outs IMHO are: Shenton, Murdoch, Curren, Minchington, Lee, Fisher (Senior List) & Holmes & Saunders (Rookie List). Gives us plenty of scope for multi-player trades (ie Pick 10 for Steele & Marchbank etc) or elevating Coughlan or O'Kearney

supersaints
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
The_President wrote:

Agreed T P, but you've got to give something good to get something good. GWS are after a quality small forward and Lonie fits the bill. I understand they are not interested in Longer. If we are somehow going to snag one or more of their young, sidelined guns, Jack may interest them and convince them to do a deal.
So what's your "source" about Longer??? I'll call you out . You believe we shopped around Longer then re- signed him... Give me a break..... He's never been offered up... Go back to sleep and dream some more

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I would hope that moving on Sinclair, Templeton or Lonie wouldn't even be considered! Why would we erode the depth we're building? Why would you write off players with obvious talent after one season?
I agree with this. Wouldn't on first look be trading them.
However it's about list balance for all clubs and all three of them seem to be in the same mould. If we have a big hole in our defensive stocks and can use one of them to bring a quality defender, then it would be worth considering. It's about balance and calculating risk. We can't know at this stage just how good Lonie, Sinclair and Eli can be, that's a risk to be weighed.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

we are not shopping longer...clubs are asking us about him...

#1 Ryder fan
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
stonecold wrote: Lonie will never be a Milne, never!!!!!
Milne's second season: 21 games, 50 goals.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The_President
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Pretty sure Milne would've been a year or two older than Jack in his second year after spending time on the Essendon rookie list

To the top
SS Life Member

Taking into account structural requirements and particularly the ideal requirement of a 3rd defensive tall able to hold down a key position but deployed aka Fisher, I would imagine those who will depart will come from Templeton (physical), Lonie (physical), Delaney (form), Curren (physical), Murdoch (form), Shenton (form), Minchington (physical) and Holmes (form).

So that is 8 meaning some will survive but will want to really show something in 2017 to again extend their AFL careers.

I do not imagine any of those 8 listed will have any trade value.

Coghlan and O'Kearney may come up from the Rookie List with Payne also a chance.

I would not be trading our First Round selection and Freeman is our Second Round selection.

From there it is down to Free Agency and de-listed players (aka Roberton and Membrey).

stonecold
SS Life Member

The_President wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
Pretty sure Milne would've been a year or two older than Jack in his second year after spending time on the Essendon rookie list
Age not relevant in this case, first 2 season stats was the question!!!!#

wally
Club Player

Would not surprise me if Longer was traded, I would prefer he stayed.
This time last year he was our no.1 ruckman after a very good year.
I think Hawthorn and West Coast may be looking after their injuries Friday night.
More likely a 3 way deal.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just last year we were raving about Lonie and Sinclair... And Hugh Goddard In 2013 we were big on Templeton...We were down on Dunstan last year... Wright was a certainty to get delisted...

In my thinking

Lonie is 19, Sinclair is 20 and Eli is 21
Stephen Milne did not play a game at StK until he was nearly 21, didn't cement until 21/22

All three are skilled, quick and rip it up in the VFL
Don't be too hasty on offloading them... Especially Lonie

At 23 all three will be good afl footballers

Eli is a ball carrier either wing or HB.
Sinclair a inside mid/forward.
Lonie a specialist small forward.