PLugger Lockett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

PLugger Lockett

my son has just had the pleasure of talking to one of the all time great saints - Tony Lockett.
He was setting up an interview for Rex Hunt's radio show and had to ring the great man.
he loves the Saints - confirmed his fondest memories in footy are of playing at Moorabbin with the saints. Could not believe the noise the crowd made down there - and how it always inspired him.

Was an amazing player - we would not be kicking 3.18 or whatever it was with him down there!!

Beautiful kick with either foot - and a powerful man.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: PLugger Lockett

Thanks yipper look forward to that

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

My favourite footy memories are the same.... When Plugger was on a lead or one on one in the square at Moorabbin or Waverley... just the roar the crowd made whenever he went near the footy... I'll never forget that. He's pretty much the reason why I love the Saints so much. That's why he's my profile image.

yipper
SS Life Member

I can still recall a practice match vs Brisbane bears at the time - he kicked a lazy 12 - did not even get out of a slow gallop. he kicked one of those goals with 4 x bears hanging onto him - he actually ran a further 10 meters with these guys hanging onto him - all 4 of them and calmly slotted the goal.

The crowd roar was indeed something else - remember his comeback game in rd 6 of 1991 - opening bounce Harvs grabs it - burst clear and spears a pass to plugger - the crowd just went ballistic - loudest noise I can ever remember at the footy - ever..he was one of the blokes you went to the footy to watch.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

yipper wrote:I can still recall a practice match vs Brisbane bears at the time - he kicked a lazy 12 - did not even get out of a slow gallop. he kicked one of those goals with 4 x bears hanging onto him - he actually ran a further 10 meters with these guys hanging onto him - all 4 of them and calmly slotted the goal.

The crowd roar was indeed something else - remember his comeback game in rd 6 of 1991 - opening bounce Harvs grabs it - burst clear and spears a pass to plugger - the crowd just went ballistic - loudest noise I can ever remember at the footy - ever..he was one of the blokes you went to the footy to watch.
Mate... I'm watching that R6 1991 comeback game on youtube right now whilst finishing off the day's work because of this post... PPPLLLUUUGGGEEERRRR....

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Was Rd 7 actually. Sorry to be exact lol

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Say hi to Danny Hughes for me.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

prwilkinson wrote:
yipper wrote:I can still recall a practice match vs Brisbane bears at the time - he kicked a lazy 12 - did not even get out of a slow gallop. he kicked one of those goals with 4 x bears hanging onto him - he actually ran a further 10 meters with these guys hanging onto him - all 4 of them and calmly slotted the goal.

Mate... I'm watching that R6 1991 comeback game on youtube right now whilst finishing off the day's work because of this post... PPPLLLUUUGGGEEERRRR....

Thanks for link, very enjoyable viewing, big fella at his most intimidating, Crows defenders didn't want anything to do with him.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

When's the interview yipper?

Bring back the Lockett era
yipper
SS Life Member

Great video clip. Fantastic stuff. Pllluuuuuggerrrr

yipper
SS Life Member

Poor Danny Hughes. Got dragged from the south Rd end - meaning he had go pass the animal enclosure!! What was Cornes thinking?? Hughes got the biggest raspberry in the history of the game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Apparently Nigel Smart, too young and green to know any better, scragged the big bloke early in this game.

He was told, try that again and you won't see the sun go down.

yipper
SS Life Member

Rex Hunt this is your football life on Sunday morning. On SEN. AT 8.30am. Sunday August 14th.

YoungGeorge
Club Player

The most influential player presence I've ever seen bar none.
Ablett - Carey - Matthews..... all brilliant and tough but no one ever took the game (or the opposition) by the throat like the big fella. When Ricky Kennedy won't come near ya - you' know you've got the entire competition intimidated.
We had Plugger in his prime ! and the roar from the Huggins Stand will live with me forever.

yipper
SS Life Member

Was he the most intimidating player ever in VFL/AFL history?? I reckon he was but he was also enormously talented. Which made him just an amazing presence on the footy ground

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Said it before

He is the reason I switched to StK as a kid... I was a tiger with the #8 on my back... Played FF in north tassie as a junior and idolised Michael Roach

When I first saw a kid in the early mid 80's called -Anthony Lockett... It was Disco who?!

Then 1987 was just sensational

I moved to Melbourne at 16yo in 1990 and 91 & 92 were probably my fondest memories ever .... Lockett was truly remarkable
I followed him even when he went to Sydney... But he became my second favourite player as I was still a saint

Although 97 was good too, 04 and 09 were fun seasons to be a saint supporter... But I don't think anything will beat Plugger in 91

Vazelos
Club Player

I get ribbed by mates saying you have never seen a premiership yet I feel purely blessed to have seen Plugger at his prime play for us.
No player will ever give me the satisfaction, thrill & absolute pride of following the Saints more than he.

Yipper you wrote,
I can still recall a practice match vs Brisbane bears at the time - he kicked a lazy 12 - did not even get out of a slow gallop. he kicked one of those goals with 4 x bears hanging onto him - he actually ran a further 10 meters with these guys hanging onto him - all 4 of them and calmly slotted the goal. "

I recall that game fondly & it was one of the greatest he played and it was a practice game, he was simply breathtaking!!

Martin Leslie was lauded as the best full back outside the VFL & he moved over to Brisbane & Plugger ripped him a apart.
He stood on his shoulders for one speccie I will never forget, he was extremely athletic pre injuries, he was simply a God with everything:

Ridiculous strength & bulk
Incredible timing with leads & marks
Super strong & sure hands
Aggressive & ruthless
Fast & Agile for his size
Impeccable skills both in field kicking & shooting for goal.

He walked with an air of arrogance about him that few have had since & he literally ruled the club in that time!!

Its a pleasure to have seen him & a curse to know I will never experience that again with any other player.

He simply is the the greatest player i ever saw bar none!!

Vazelos
Club Player

When is the show with Rex Hunt?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Vazelos wrote:I get ribbed by mates saying you have never seen a premiership yet I feel purely blessed to have seen Plugger at his prime play for us.
No player will ever give me the satisfaction, thrill & absolute pride of following the Saints more than he.

Yipper you wrote,
I can still recall a practice match vs Brisbane bears at the time - he kicked a lazy 12 - did not even get out of a slow gallop. he kicked one of those goals with 4 x bears hanging onto him - he actually ran a further 10 meters with these guys hanging onto him - all 4 of them and calmly slotted the goal. "

I recall that game fondly & it was one of the greatest he played and it was a practice game, he was simply breathtaking!!

Martin Leslie was lauded as the best full back outside the VFL & he moved over to Brisbane & Plugger ripped him a apart.
He stood on his shoulders for one speccie I will never forget, he was extremely athletic pre injuries, he was simply a God with everything:

Ridiculous strength & bulk
Incredible timing with leads & marks
Super strong & sure hands
Aggressive & ruthless
Fast & Agile for his size
Impeccable skills both in field kicking & shooting for goal.

He walked with an air of arrogance about him that few have had since & he literally ruled the club in that time!!

Its a pleasure to have seen him & a curse to know I will never experience that again with any other player.

He simply is the the greatest player i ever saw bar none!!
Great post.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

was brilliant to see him in action again

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Stephen Theodore wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

Thanks for link, very enjoyable viewing, big fella at his most intimidating, Crows defenders didn't want anything to do with him.
No worries. If you like footy from that era here's another link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqYgCG ... 6icYITPpIQ

And mainly just Saints stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/riewoldt12/videos

yipper
SS Life Member

Vazelos wrote:When is the show with Rex Hunt?
Rex Hunt this is your football life on Sunday morning. On SEN. AT 8.30am. Sunday August 14th.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

prwilkinson wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:

No worries. If you like footy from that era here's another link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqYgCG ... 6icYITPpIQ

And mainly just Saints stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/riewoldt12/videos
Cheers PR

saintkid
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Said it before

He is the reason I switched to StK as a kid... I was a tiger with the #8 on my back... Played FF in north tassie as a junior and idolised Michael Roach

When I first saw a kid in the early mid 80's called -Anthony Lockett... It was Disco who?!

Then 1987 was just sensational

I moved to Melbourne at 16yo in 1990 and 91 & 92 were probably my fondest memories ever .... Lockett was truly remarkable
I followed him even when he went to Sydney... But he became my second favourite player as I was still a saint

Although 97 was good too, 04 and 09 were fun seasons to be a saint supporter... But I don't think anything will beat Plugger in 91

91 was a really exciting year for the Saints according to my father because it was the first year in many years that they made the finals and Lockett was just a freak to watch. Even if the delivery to the forward line was poor, as long as he was a remote chance, the great man woud mark it or do something spectacular at ground level. He was deceptively quick over the first 10 metres.

They made a highlights VHS video called '1991-The year of the rising Saints' and we still have it. He was unreal to watch in it and the reason why the club got so far that year.

The old man remembers well the huge crowd at that unfair 3rd vs 4th elimination final at Waverley when that prick Ablett for Geelong took out Nathan Burke early in the game and also David Grant. It was a glorious sunny day and the Saints ran out of legs at the end. Plugger kicked 9.7 which was uncharacteristic accuracy for him and that Brownless didn't miss one! He still talks about it as Plugger was that damn good, with a bit of luck, he could have almost carried the team all the way to the premiership that year. It was his first final and he had a few nerves shooting at goal in the first quarter mainly but still had 16 shots at goal!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for sharing, Yipper. I really like your son's work on the radio. He's a very good and level-headed announcer.

1991 is probably my favourite year to look back on as Saints supporter. There was just so much to be optimistic about that year. Of course we made the finals for the first time in 18 years and it was the first time in my lifetime I got to see us qualify for footy in September. I think it was my birthday when Plugger made his comeback in Round 7. What a great procession of goal kicking it was to watch. I was in the cheer squad back then and we were all in ecstasy. I think it was one of the first times I'd seen the Saints win by 100+ points.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!