History to be made today?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

History to be made today?

Today we play Melbourne - a fellow foundation club, but unlike us they are an 'establishment club' with links to government, power, academia, brownstone educational establishments, big business and the top of the town. They were once a 'power club' who have been the only team to win three premierships in a row twice. They have won an extremely successful 12 premierships. We have only played them three times in September finals action, and each time they won - despatching us from finals action in 1963, 1998, and 2006. After two of these losses, our coaches were sacked summarily.
But today, today, we have an opportunity to make history against them. Our two longest winning runs against opponents in our history have been 13 against Fitzroy (60s), and 13, plus a draw in what would have been the 14th, against Richmond (2010s). We win today and for the first time in 120 years we will have won 14 games in a row against an opponent. We will also have won our 91st game against an opponent, which would be a St. Kilda record.
We have won not only the past 13 against Melbourne FC, but 15 out of the past 17, and they have not beaten us at Docklands Stadium since 2002, taking our excellent record against them in recent times back 14 years.
And what a lot of supporters might not be aware of is back in the 50s after a year of only winning 1 game and finishing the season with a pathetic 45% the next year the club started a rebuild, we played the reigning premier, Melbourne, at the Junction Oval, and in the upset of the decade the Saints won, and the slow burn towards our best ever era was begun.
In 2016 our record has been exemplary against our fellow foundation club members, so I hope we get a loud and healthy St. Kilda supporter turnout for what just might be a bit of history being made today.
Carna Sainters!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: History to be made today?

Like.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Today we play Melbourne - a fellow foundation club, but unlike us they are an 'establishment club' with links to government, power, academia, brownstone educational establishments, big business and the top of the town. They were once a 'power club' who have been the only team to win three premierships in a row twice. They have won an extremely successful 12 premierships. We have only played them three times in September finals action, and each time they won - despatching us from finals action in 1963, 1998, and 2006. After two of these losses, our coaches were sacked summarily.
But today, today, we have an opportunity to make history against them. Our two longest winning runs against opponents in our history have been 13 against Fitzroy (60s), and 13, plus a draw in what would have been the 14th, against Richmond (2010s). We win today and for the first time in 120 years we will have won 14 games in a row against an opponent. We will also have won our 91st game against an opponent, which would be a St. Kilda record.
We have won not only the past 13 against Melbourne FC, but 15 out of the past 17, and they have not beaten us at Docklands Stadium since 2002, taking our excellent record against them in recent times back 14 years.
And what a lot of supporters might not be aware of is back in the 50s after a year of only winning 1 game and finishing the season with a pathetic 45% the next year the club started a rebuild, we played the reigning premier, Melbourne, at the Junction Oval, and in the upset of the decade the Saints won, and the slow burn towards our best ever era was begun.
In 2016 our record has been exemplary against our fellow foundation club members, so I hope we get a loud and healthy St. Kilda supporter turnout for what just might be a bit of history being made today.
Carna Sainters!
I remember that game. I also remember being abused by our neighbours, nephews of Melbourne's Big Bob Johnson. Called the saints rubbish, losers and spoilers. Made me laugh at the time, and laugh again now recalling the incident.

Hate Melbourne.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hope we at least get 25,000 St. Kilda supporters there today. I thought our turnout last week against Essendon was very good considering the Sunday twilight match time, and that is was an away fixture. Today's a St KFC home game and a bit earlier so it's easier for families with younger kids.
This is the last game of the winnable block of 8 matches in our 2016 draw, and as the season gets a lot tougher for us in the final 6 rounds after this week it's a great opportunity to see a win.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Today we play Melbourne - a fellow foundation club, but unlike us they are an 'establishment club' with links to government, power, academia, brownstone educational establishments, big business and the top of the town. They were once a 'power club' who have been the only team to win three premierships in a row twice. They have won an extremely successful 12 premierships. We have only played them three times in September finals action, and each time they won - despatching us from finals action in 1963, 1998, and 2006. After two of these losses, our coaches were sacked summarily.
Carna Sainters!

And it was. History made that is. The look on Roo's face at games end was priceless.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Hope we at least get 25,000 St. Kilda supporters there today. I thought our turnout last week against Essendon was very good considering the Sunday twilight match time, and that is was an away fixture. Today's a St KFC home game and a bit earlier so it's easier for families with younger kids.
This is the last game of the winnable block of 8 matches in our 2016 draw, and as the season gets a lot tougher for us in the final 6 rounds after this week it's a great opportunity to see a win.
Crowd was 25K, so no, not 25K Saints fans there assuming a few K of Dee's fans

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So 14 consecutive wins is a St Kilda record and tops previous record against any club which was set against Fitzroy back in the 50s/60s?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vazelos
Club Player

Great post love the statistics...

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yes - and the 13 in a row against Richmond from 2003-2010.
The 91 wins against Melbourne is also a club record.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Hope we at least get 25,000 St. Kilda supporters there today. I thought our turnout last week against Essendon was very good considering the Sunday twilight match time, and that is was an away fixture. Today's a St KFC home game and a bit earlier so it's easier for families with younger kids.
Very pro-St Kilda crowd. Would guess 22K would have been Sainters.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Very pro-St Kilda crowd. Would guess 22K would have been Sainters.
No surprise, a beautiful sunny day down my way, you could see the snow shimmering on the mountains. Never seen so many Range Rovers up my way as I have this weeend! :D

Saint supporter since '62
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Great post love the statistics...
ditto

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

We have several games between now and season's end that are potential wins: Brisbane at Etihad, Carlton at the MCG , and even North Melbourne who are currently in all sorts of strife. However, I temper my thoughts of more wins for us, by remembering just how inconsistent we've been in 2016. I think it's an exciting time to be a Saints fan.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
santazzi
Club Player

"....but unlike us they are an 'establishment club' with links to government, power, academia, brownstone educational establishments, big business and the top of the town..."

Samuraisaint......I wonder, just wonder and wonder again......with such grand connection "how many brown bags are blowing in the air" ...as ghosts of those grand premierships of the bye gone era...........!!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm always amazed, ( and a wee bit miffed ) at the manner in which Melbourne are given an easy ride by the media, while we get described on various occasions as (quote): "a basket case" :roll: This is a club that were gung ho for merging with Hawthorn in the nineties. They have been waiting longer for a flag than us. Have not played finals for ten years. Have had five coaches in those ten years. Have received high draft picks, and squandered them. I have very little time for Melbourne.....( as you can no doubt tell!) :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Biatches