Need for speed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Need for speed

Yesterday, the Suns had a very effective method of breaking our press and restricting our pressure on the ball carrier - kick it wide, mark it, carry through the wings and shakes us off with their pace. It worked a treat and we looked REALLY slow.

Since as far back as 2007, our lack of midfield pace has been well documented and it was the catalyst for the Dons being our bogey team in our grand finals era.

Now, even this far into our rebuild and we still have an obvious deficiet of pace. New additions like Billings, Lonie, Sinclair and Gresham may have a bit of zip, but they aren't midfielders and with the exception of Gresham, are struggling to use their leg speed to hurt the opposition.

Even this deep into our rebuild, Steven is still by far our quickest mid, which I think is a problem.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Need for speed

The Hawks and Cats seem to have always looked for a sprinkling of A grade indigenous talent with speed. Port and Essendon also succeeded with a mix of flashy indigenous brilliance with speed.

I reckon firstly that St Kilda looks at a longer term plan. You not only have to think about recruiting but also maintaining good welfare for more indigenous players into the team.

We will benefit if we channel some money towards recruiting more indigenous boys but make sure they're quality kids like Gresh (quality in character as well as potential) and definitely no older State league wannabe's - the failed experiment with Millera who was always going to be B grade at best should be a lesson not forgotten.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we are interested in indigenous boys this Draft season, we have two Sons of Saints. both less than the required father son 100 matches, Phil Narkles son Quenton, playing for W.A., and Russell Jeffries son playing for N.T. I doubt if he would have a lot of speed, 1 think he is 192cm.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you think Gresham is quick over the ground?

Aren't we lauded for being one of the quickest teams.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Do you think Gresham is quick over the ground?

Yes, that's what I thought. Yesterday's performance is not a true reflection of the team. They seem to turn into mice when they play interstate. Something which needs to be remedied by next year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:
BigMart wrote:Do you think Gresham is quick over the ground?

Yes, that's what I thought. Yesterday's performance is not a true reflection of the team. They seem to turn into mice when they play interstate. Something which needs to be remedied by next year.
When we have the ball, we move it quickly, but that doesn't necessarily translate to leg speed.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

We were cut open due to the opposition rebounding our poor disposal and everyone out of position.
When the opposition has the ball they generally use it well.
Our senior players also let us down Roo missing easy goals and the turnover in defense. Montys brain fade while kicking out.

Vazelos
Club Player

Freeman was brought in for this purpose, lets hope he comes good.

Winmar
Club Player

If the club feels the need for speed, surely Maverick is the man?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

One player will not make a team quick... A leg speed team will have at least 6 very fast players

We are slow over the ground

We move the ball quickly at Etihad

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

We moved it well in Tassie, Adelaide Oval and the MCG this year.

one point
Club Player

Scollop wrote:The Hawks and Cats seem to have always looked for a sprinkling of A grade indigenous talent with speed. Port and Essendon also succeeded with a mix of flashy indigenous brilliance with speed.

I reckon firstly that St Kilda looks at a longer term plan. You not only have to think about recruiting but also maintaining good welfare for more indigenous players into the team.

We will benefit if we channel some money towards recruiting more indigenous boys but make sure they're quality kids like Gresh (quality in character as well as potential) and definitely no older State league wannabe's - the failed experiment with Millera who was always going to be B grade at best should be a lesson not forgotten.
At the pregame function before the Sun's game Nicky Winmar said we need to recruit a couple of indigenous players if we are going to win our next flag

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Winmar wrote:If the club feels the need for speed, surely Maverick is the man?
Goose

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We move the ball quicker than just about anyone ... when we have it. Getting the ball and maintaining control is the problem more so than speed imo

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We dont have any players with actual pace besides Steven, Freeman and Nate Wright. Two of tbose have other issues. We need to add another.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We dont have any players with actual pace besides Steven, Freeman and Nate Wright. Two of tbose have other issues. We need to add another.
Gresh is quick and should be a starting mid by next season

wally
Club Player

I tend to think of a wingman type who can run the ball with pace and deliver deep into the forward line similar to Hill at the hawks. (Aussie Jones)
Lovett was to be but failed, Peake was ok but not good enough.
Interstate recruiting hasn't worked out lately and the indigenous side we need to have more support for.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I tell you what, after three seasons, if I hear Richo go on again at pressers about being killed by spread and outside runners, then I will yell at the cat. After three years Richo, why don't you have a good think about addressing this- and it's not a leg speed issue, it's all about how you structure and set up plays, it's about work off the ball, it's about a disciplined team- and that's what's lacking. If our erratic mad running, tackling game isn't happening, and we lose possession, then there is no structure off the ball from what I see, there is not reverting to a system. This is one of the reasons we get big bags of goals kicked on us quickly in game.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I tell you what, after three seasons, if I hear Richo go on again at pressers about being killed by spread and outside runners, then I will yell at the cat. After three years Richo, why don't you have a good think about addressing this- and it's not a leg speed issue, it's all about how you structure and set up plays, it's about work off the ball, it's about a disciplined team- and that's what's lacking. If our erratic mad running, tackling game isn't happening, and we lose possession, then there is no structure off the ball from what I see, there is not reverting to a system. This is one of the reasons we get big bags of goals kicked on us quickly in game.
It's the same reason that young teams with limited talent get beaten regularly.

It's why the Mark Thompson's and Alastair Clarkson's took 4-5 years to get their young teams playing the way they wanted.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

one point wrote:
Scollop wrote:The Hawks and Cats seem to have always looked for a sprinkling of A grade indigenous talent with speed. Port and Essendon also succeeded with a mix of flashy indigenous brilliance with speed.

At the pregame function before the Sun's game Nicky Winmar said we need to recruit a couple of indigenous players if we are going to win our next flag
Recruiters are on it. :D :D :D

gone fission
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
one point wrote:

Recruiters are on it. :D :D :D
Oh god, I really hope we are not looking at any players based on their race.

Just get the best player available.

Plenty of good players taken after we took Nicholas Winmar.

Winmar
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Winmar wrote:If the club feels the need for speed, surely Maverick is the man?
Goose
Goose was quick enough for his size until his broke his leg