Depth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Depth

Good teams have it

This weekend in the ones and twos
No
Fisher, Billings, Lonie, Rice, Lee, Dempster, Carlisle, Freeman, Curran, Goddard

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Re: Depth

Getting deeper

Saint supporter since '62
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Just finished watching the replay. Josh Bruce works so bloody hard. He reminds me of a young rooey trying so hard and getting no protection no frees. I reckon I've been hard on him. After watching his game tonight he does so much

Liam_G
Club Player

mullet wrote:Just finished watching the replay. Josh Bruce works so bloody hard. He reminds me of a young rooey trying so hard and getting no protection no frees. I reckon I've been hard on him. After watching his game tonight he does so much
100% agree. Bruce works just as hard without the ball as he does with it. Even during a quiet week on the scoreboard, his work up and down the ground can't be questioned. I think he has learned a lot from Roo.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Long Term Injury
Club Player

mullet wrote:Just finished watching the replay. Josh Bruce works so bloody hard. He reminds me of a young rooey trying so hard and getting no protection no frees. I reckon I've been hard on him. After watching his game tonight he does so much
Agreed. he is a work horse. That is what I love about our forward line, not many are ever going to go missing because they work so damn hard and love the contest. It is a really good sign. Usually the forward line is the hardest to construct, but I think we've nailed it in the space of a season and a half. This is what gives me most hope. Think of all the top up and coming teams, I think we have the best forward line as a package, backs and mids is another issue, but they can be cobbled together a lot more easily than forwards. Onwards and upwards.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sandy 2nd on the VFL ladder. That in itself tells us we have good depth.
Add to that we have a potential gun sitting in the sheds in Carlisle and a wildcard in Freeman.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

The work is definitely there, needs to just clunk his marks first grab and give illegal defenders less of a chance to push him off it. Seeing as he never gets calls.

He definitely gets a rough deal, takes nice marks outside forward 50 when there isn't a desperate defender hanging off him.

George27
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Good teams have it

This weekend in the ones and twos
No
Fisher, Billings, Lonie, Rice, Lee, Dempster, Carlisle, Freeman, Curran, Goddard
.. Longer missing too. Three weeks ago we had only Carlisle and Freeman out. Now there are 11, yet blokes are stepping up.. Right down to NOK and even Joe Baker-Thomas for Sandy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Longer

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:...

He definitely gets a rough deal, takes nice marks outside forward 50 when there isn't a desperate defender hanging off him.
He's too honest - he doesn't behave as though his arm is being ripped off or that he has been been shot in the back. Our captain have never been a stager either. David Armitage probably is our worst "actor" but does his cause a disservice.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Well injury has forced us to use some fresh blood which has actually invigorated the team. Our rebound out of the backline for the last couple of weeks has been much better with some real run and dash. I hope they keep going with trying some more fringe/newbies out. That is where we are at a team and this whole "YOu need to play all the experienced players or we'll get smashed" has been empirically proven to be wrong so hopefully they will be quiet now. To take no chances is the biggest risk.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Run and dash from Delaney?

mullet
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Griggsy wrote:...

He's too honest - he doesn't behave as though his arm is being ripped off or that he has been been shot in the back. Our captain have never been a stager either. David Armitage probably is our worst "actor" but does his cause a disservice.
Funny you say that. Bruce got a free paid against him last night and he raised both hands as if to say I'm sorry I'm sorry and looked a bit like (have to be careful I dont upset anyone) well not like a tough footballer. You are right he is too honest

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bruce gets crucified

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Depth is only good if you use it IMHO

Keep everyone honest and hungry and you get that...

Del, Wright...would they of played if no injuries?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Depth is only good if you use it IMHO

Keep everyone honest and hungry and you get that...

Del, Wright...would they of played if no injuries?
No they wouldn't have. Both have played Development League this year.
Depth should only play when required!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell