List 3 Positives & 3 Negatives vs Freo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

carn_sainter
Club Player

List 3 Positives & 3 Negatives vs Freo

Not necessarily the three biggest of each, just any three positives and negatives. I was watching from the Moorabbin Wing.

Positives:
* Fisher, Dempster, Geary: Kept us in the game and basically didn't lose a contest between them
* Murdoch's field-kicking: Especially that long goal. He looked capable at the level
* Gresham: Very comfortable in traffic and his tackles stick.

Negatives:
* Centre Clearance: Freo just walked the ball out of there for the better part of three quarters. Well done for the tackling pressure, but it would have been good to not need to lay so many damn tackles by getting to the ball first.
* McCartin standing and pointing: I am a fan and he did some positives. But he is too often standing and pointing rather than presenting up to the ball. I would like to see him moving to present as an option more, rather than moving towards the ball only after it has been kicked.
* Freo had better positioning: From what I saw, I thought Freo set up better around the ground and controlled the space and this, combined with them getting first hands on the ball so much, allowed them to control the game

Overall, Freo played well. They defended us very well and got to the ball first. Not listed above, but for me the biggest positive is that we showed some good old fashioned ticker in the last quarter...combined with some better execution.

BEST: Armitage, Riewoldt, Fisher, Geary, Dempster, Steven, Gresham

Milne
Club Player

Re: List 3 Positives & 3 Negatives vs Freo

Poditives were robbo jacky and roo

Negatives were quarters 2 and 3. Rubbish performance.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Flabbergasted you have Paddy as a negative. Really am. Wow.

SS Life Member

+
We pulled the finger out when it mattered
Forward line chemistry continues to improve
I forgot to place the bet on us to win 40+ at $2.80

-
When up against the wall, we start to mess up even the easy disposals
F50 entry is still pretty random for parts of games.
Gave up 2 quarters to an injury ridden 0-9 team

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We won!
We won despite only playing one and a half quarters.
We won despite Geary gifting them three goals.

We allowed Ross to lock the game down for two and a half quarters.
Goal kicking was atrocious.
Umpires gifted us three goals in the first and we tried to undo their good work!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In my eyes the three positive things that won us the game were Membrey and McCartin keeping us in it when we were getting beaten and Armo's tackling in the last just shut down Freo's hopes.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:Not necessarily the three biggest of each, just any three positives and negatives. I was watching from the Moorabbin Wing.

Positives:
* Fisher, Dempster, Geary: Kept us in the game and basically didn't lose a contest between them
* Murdoch's field-kicking: Especially that long goal. He looked capable at the level
* Gresham: Very comfortable in traffic and his tackles stick.

Negatives:
* Centre Clearance: Freo just walked the ball out of there for the better part of three quarters. Well done for the tackling pressure, but it would have been good to not need to lay so many damn tackles by getting to the ball first.
* McCartin standing and pointing: I am a fan and he did some positives. But he is too often standing and pointing rather than presenting up to the ball. I would like to see him moving to present as an option more, rather than moving towards the ball only after it has been kicked.
* Freo had better positioning: From what I saw, I thought Freo set up better around the ground and controlled the space and this, combined with them getting first hands on the ball so much, allowed them to control the game

Overall, Freo played well. They defended us very well and got to the ball first. Not listed above, but for me the biggest positive is that we showed some good old fashioned ticker in the last quarter...combined with some better execution.

BEST: Armitage, Riewoldt, Fisher, Geary, Dempster, Steven, Gresham

carn_sainter
Club Player

8856brother wrote:Flabbergasted you have Paddy as a negative. Really am. Wow.
I don't have Paddy as a negative...I have one part of his game as a negative. Nobody ever plays a perfect game, I pointed out one thing I think he should work on. Probably is working on it, but it still needs work.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Positives:
Armitage - tackling and showing leadership when it counted - next captain perchance?
McCartin at full forward - reminded me of Lockett at times - the good old days of the full forward leading out of the square is a crowd pleaser.
Fisher - great game - could he go around again? He would be great when Carlisle comes into the side next year.

Negatives:
The crowd - 17,000. Poor. Just poor.
Conversion/kicking for goal in first three quarters - this needs to be worked on at training. Could be a confidence thing, but on a dry deck against the two bottom teams that shouldn't be an issue.
Overreliance on Nick to keep us in the game. Mind you he is such a once in a generation player, like Wayne Carey or Leigh Matthews, that he is just that good anyway and he would do this in any team. Really hope he can play as long as Brent Harvey and get a premiership medallion.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

POS
Membrey/McCartin
Umpires
Armitage

NEG
second and third quarters
lost my dough
lost my s***!

#gosaintas
Club Player

The OP has Geary as a +ve and Paddy as a -ve. That's comedy gold. Geary gave them 4-5 goals.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

watching replay now.

negatives the 3 commentators barracking for freo.

positives

we won
paddy
paddy

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:The OP has Geary as a +ve and Paddy as a -ve. That's comedy gold. Geary gave them 4-5 goals.
Yes we know you don't like Geary. You make that abundantly clear every week. I want you to actually nominate those goals he gifted so I can check the replay. You do understand his opponent had 6 possessions and absolutely no impact. You did see all the hard stuff he did. No probably not because I suspect you just don't have much footy knowledge and just listen to a couple of parrots in the crowd.

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
mullet
Saintsational Legend

having just sat through the third quarter again
that is about as negative as you can get.
negative football
negative for the game
negative coaching

all the positives to follow in fourth quarter.

what a turn around after seeing that again, makes that last quarter even better.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Plus:
Win
Emerging younger players
Ability to fight back

Neg:
Erratic midfield
Turnovers- Armo, Dunstan, Geary
Need better crumbling by small forwards

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Positives
Armos 17 tackles that is huge - topping of a very good game from him
McCartin sowing more glimpses of what he will be. Showed again that he is a "thinking" player. I cannot wait for his body to catch up to his brain
Ro marking 15 m from FB and then not long after marking 15 out from FF

Negatives
I can live with one Geary goal per game due his defensive aspect, but not 3/4.
Making the mistake of playing Freo at their own game for almost 3 quarters- what club does that these day?
That our ability to dispose of the ball is so schizoid!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:We won!

Umpires gifted us three goals in the first and we tried to undo their good work!
Geary had 2 clangers.

You obviously weren't watching. He killed Ballantyne and some of his defensive work was incredible and skilful.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

Geary had 2 clangers.

You obviously weren't watching. He killed Ballantyne and some of his defensive work was incredible and skilful.
Nobody seems interested in counting his goal assists either. Newnes and Murdoch in the first quarter. It would have been three if Roo had been able to get his foot to the ball from 15m out.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Geary had 2 clangers.

Nobody seems interested in counting his goal assists either. Newnes and Murdoch in the first quarter. It would have been three if Roo had been able to get his foot to the ball from 15m out.
One of his spoils on half back without giving away a free and which forced a throw in when the game was in the balance was sensaitional.

I really love it how the usual suspects and dumb arses come out on the match thread during the 2nd and 3rd qrts to bag the usual scapegoats.

We were getting absolutely killed in the middle and at the stoppages and it was our backs who were helping to keep us in the game.

firthy
Club Player

The positives were all about our defence in what I shall say were our bad quarters were magnificent and kept us in the game , its not always about the fancy stuff up front . Plenty of good tough skilful stuff from our much maligned defence today . That they were able to sit back and spectate for the last quarter was their reward.
To see the mouth from the West absolutely silenced by Geary was great, Fisher, Roberton & Dempster exceptional games .

Negatives our clearance work for 2.5 quarters was well below what is expected of AFL players, unfortunately it reminded me of the one game a year I see over here the WC game.
Newnes disposal not good
Sinclair ok that he got another chance but he wont be here next year

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

firthy wrote:The positives were all about our defence in what I shall say were our bad quarters were magnificent and kept us in the game , its not always about the fancy stuff up front . Plenty of good tough skilful stuff from our much maligned defence today . That they were able to sit back and spectate for the last quarter was their reward.
To see the mouth from the West absolutely silenced by Geary was great, Fisher, Roberton & Dempster exceptional games .

Negatives our clearance work for 2.5 quarters was well below what is expected of AFL players, unfortunately it reminded me of the one game a year I see over here the WC game.
Newnes disposal not good
In what context will Sinclair not be at the Saints in 2017?

st sandy
Club Player

The positive for me was the come back from 3 goals down late in the third. To win by 5-6 goals will provide enormous belief in each other & game plan

The negative was the incident at the back of aisle 33 at half time. The police had to bring a saint man to the ground before carrying him away
We respect the police for there work in all aspects of life...I don't know who started what?...who was at fault?....but the terror in the eyes of his 4 year old son stayed with me for hours

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
firthy wrote:The positives were all about our defence in what I shall say were our bad quarters were magnificent and kept us in the game , its not always about the fancy stuff up front . Plenty of good tough skilful stuff from our much maligned defence today . That they were able to sit back and spectate for the last quarter was their reward.

Newnes disposal not good
In what context will Sinclair not be at the Saints in 2017?
I cannot see him not being at the Saints in 2017 at all. He is only in his second year!

Sinclair was concentrating on his cricket and so is a bit behind players of the same age, but even with that has still shown plenty in his first two years at the club and has averageda goal/game in the seniors.

He oozes class and has some x-factor and has a bit of toe when he arches his back which allows him to take the opposition on but needs to work at the "role-player" aspects of team football. This should come in time. But even if not there is no way that you were not perserver for some years yet.

There are plenty like Shenton etc who can be delisted to make way for new blood for 2017.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Positives:
- our defence
- our forwards
- ability of our mids to find so much for a comeback in the last
(bonus positives: Gresham getting the last goal in indigenous round + putting Freo zip and 10!)
Negatives:
- switched to cruise mode after the first four goals
- Sinclair's 2nd year blues (Love his composure as a rule - I'm a fan!)
- i rate our mids - so why are we losing clearances?

spert
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Positives:
- our defence
- our forwards
- ability of our mids to find so much for a comeback in the last
(bonus positives: Gresham getting the last goal in indigenous round + putting Freo zip and 10!)
Negatives:
- switched to cruise mode after the first four goals
- Sinclair's 2nd year blues (Love his composure as a rule - I'm a fan!)
- i rate our mids - so why are we losing clearances?
Just look at the second quarter against Freo- our mids were witches hats for 25 minutes. A big problem that Richo will no doubt be talking to the boys about.