Open Mike - St.Kilda: Fifty Years of Hell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Open Mike - St.Kilda: Fifty Years of Hell

For all those of you who have yet to see it (I haven't yet), here it is:

This will be my night cap before bed. Have got the hot water bottle and valium on standby!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Open Mike - St.Kilda: Fifty Years of Hell

Gee, Barry Hall came across as an absolute turd in his interview. Thank goodness GT shipped him off. Bloody typical that he ends up with a premiership medallion though. A bloke who openly admits to not giving a sh*t about not winning in 1997. But of course he should never have played in the 2005 GF, anyway. Another great big AFL scam and cover up.

Blokes like Cowboy, Breeny and Big Carl as still absolute heart and soul members of our club. Hearing Big Carl say that he broke down after those lost GFs after his career got me quite emotional. I hope those blokes will be still around when we finally get this elusive second flag.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:For all those of you who have yet to see it (I haven't yet), here it is:

This will be my night cap before bed. Have got the hot water bottle and valium on standby!
Thanks I taped it but hadnt gotten to watch till the weekend only to fi d the sound hadnt worked
Will watch tonight

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Am I missing something here? where are the 7 GF's we've contested since 66?

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:Gee, Barry Hall came across as an absolute turd in his interview. Thank goodness GT shipped him off. Bloody typical that he ends up with a premiership medallion though. A bloke who openly admits to not giving a sh*t about not winning in 1997. But of course he should never have played in the 2005 GF, anyway. Another great big AFL scam and cover up.

Blokes like Cowboy, Breeny and Big Carl as still absolute heart and soul members of our club. Hearing Big Carl say that he broke down after those lost GFs after his career got me quite emotional. I hope those blokes will be still around when we finally get this elusive second flag.
The only reason he played in the 2005 GF was because he was an important Sydney player. If he had played for us or any other Club he would have been rubbed out fot 2 or 3 weeks.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Gee, Barry Hall came across as an absolute turd in his interview. Thank goodness GT shipped him off. Bloody typical that he ends up with a premiership medallion though. A bloke who openly admits to not giving a sh*t about not winning in 1997. But of course he should never have played in the 2005 GF, anyway. Another great big AFL scam and cover up.

The only reason he played in the 2005 GF was because he was an important Sydney player. If he had played for us or any other Club he would have been rubbed out fot 2 or 3 weeks.
Sadly, it would appear there is a lot of truth in this.

SAAD
Club Player

Painful this was.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:

Sadly, it would appear there is a lot of truth in this.
Yeah, I often wonder how Barry has a gig at fox footy as well. Did he stand over the HR department or something? Anyone else remember Barry doing his nut against Melbourne in the 1998 semi final and belting his teammate Matty Lappin? Seems to be a 15 second passage of play that has just disappeared.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Lost all respect for Hall

He had to move clubs to become professional?!

What a weak as piss comment

Disrespectful prick

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Barry Hall is an absolute flog of the highest order.

It was clear to anyone short of a coma just how much all the other ex players and administrators loved the club. They all bleed red, white & black.

Hall came across as a twat. As Marto said above, what a weak as piss comment he made about having to shift clubs to become professional.

Would he still have said that we lacked the culture to win the flag if we'd won that game?

The Saints are coming!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Lost all respect for Hall

Disrespectful prick
I agree 100%

It made me sick to the stomach hearing that big dope say that. Sure, he was only 19 years old, but for any professional footy player - regardless of their age - to say they couldn't give a sh*t about not winning a GF must be minus a heart and possibly a head. I'm glad he ended up with Sydney and became more associated with them. I don't want our club to be associated with a complete muttonhead like Hall.
prwilkinson wrote:Yeah, I often wonder how Barry has a gig at fox footy as well. Did he stand over the HR department or something? Anyone else remember Barry doing his nut against Melbourne in the 1998 semi final and belting his teammate Matty Lappin? Seems to be a 15 second passage of play that has just disappeared.
I don't remember Hall belting Lappin. That is bizarre. It was caught on camera? Will have to try and track down the incident. Perhaps the main reason for Lappin getting traded to Carlton?

Gee, in hindsight, I would have preferred it if the club had of kept Lappin and got rid of Hall. What a bloody headcase!

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:

Disrespectful prick
I agree 100%

It made me sick to the stomach hearing that big dope say that. Sure, he was only 19 years old, but for any professional footy player - regardless of their age - to say they couldn't give a sh*t about not winning a GF must be minus a heart and possibly a head. I'm glad he ended up with Sydney and became more associated with them. I don't want our club to be associated with a complete muttonhead like Hall.
prwilkinson wrote:Yeah, I often wonder how Barry has a gig at fox footy as well. Did he stand over the HR department or something? Anyone else remember Barry doing his nut against Melbourne in the 1998 semi final and belting his teammate Matty Lappin? Seems to be a 15 second passage of play that has just disappeared.
I don't remember Hall belting Lappin. That is bizarre. It was caught on camera? Will have to try and track down the incident. Perhaps the main reason for Lappin getting traded to Carlton?

Gee, in hindsight, I would have preferred it if the club had of kept Lappin and got rid of Hall. What a bloody headcase!
It was on the wing at the MCG in front of the old members stand. Barry had completely lost it and was trying to belt a couple of Melbourne players. Matty Lappin tried to step in and grab Barry, Barry had his back to Matty, Barry turned and swung thinking it was another Melbourne player... He only grazed Matty lappin across the face but Barry didn't play another minute of that match. I don't think it had anything to do with Matt leaving. It's just an example of what a loose bloke Barry Hall can be.

We got done by 47 pts that day I think. Horrible finish to the 1998 season. Should have beaten Sydney the week before anyway.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

prwilkinson wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Disrespectful prick
I agree 100%

This is the only thing I could find on the incident:

Steven Febey incident:

In the 1998 second semi-final St Kilda held the lead over Melbourne near the end of the second quarter. After being tackled by Steven Febey Hall dropped his knees into Febey's head and after regaining his feet he slung Adem Yze to the ground. In frustration his outburst lead to an altercation with teammates Matthew Lappin and Shane Wakelin where Hall had to be restrained by his teammates and trainers. The incident resulted in a 4 match suspension and Melbourne then took control of the match and won easily, ending St Kilda's 1998 season.

Grrrrr
Club Player

Disrespectful prick
I think an outside influence forced him to move interstate. Rumours going around at the time of his departure, from memory, that he had fallen foul of a Motorcycle Club and was more or less told to leave Victoria ASAP.
But who knows...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
This is the only thing I could find on the incident:

Steven Febey incident:

In the 1998 second semi-final St Kilda held the lead over Melbourne near the end of the second quarter. After being tackled by Steven Febey Hall dropped his knees into Febey's head and after regaining his feet he slung Adem Yze to the ground. In frustration his outburst lead to an altercation with teammates Matthew Lappin and Shane Wakelin where Hall had to be restrained by his teammates and trainers. The incident resulted in a 4 match suspension and Melbourne then took control of the match and won easily, ending St Kilda's 1998 season.
Wow, the guy was clearly bonkers. A barbarian, if you will. A friend of mine's cousin once had an altercation with him at some bar or club type venue, back in the late '90s. Hall verbally abused a girl he tried to pick up at a bar and my friend's cousin told him not to speak to her like that. For his trouble, Hall pushed him down a flight on stairs. What we saw on the field was the same person loose cannon we witnessed on the field.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Grrrrr wrote:

Disrespectful prick
I think an outside influence forced him to move interstate. Rumours going around at the time of his departure, from memory, that he had fallen foul of a Motorcycle Club and was more or less told to leave Victoria ASAP.
But who knows...
This wouldn't surprise me in the least. He definitely strikes me as the type of person who would get involved in that kind of stuff. Not a lot between his ears!