General Lee v Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St.Rob8
Club Player

General Lee v Hawks

What did others think of Lee v. Hawks?
Thought he was serviceable for first game back after over a year in the 2s.

Interesting the game plan seems to be focused on giving it to good ball users in the back line to pump it forward like Austin Jones used to. Savage, Webster playing the role well, and Lee can add to this. May also explain why Gilbert is playing forward ☺

SMS
Club Player

Re: General Lee v Hawks

Must admit he was good. Needs more time in the AFL to get used to the speed. LOL I TOLD EVERYONE HE NEEDED TO CUT HIS HAIR AND AS SOON AS HE DID??? THERE it is he plays like a man. Best news possible. He is highly skilled and was a gun in waiting. Everything looking great.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

As silly as it sounds,having a normal haircut is significant for the boy.

He now blends in. Just what we want.

Lee should quietly and steadily improve week to week.

He has the potential to replace Fisher in defence I reckon.

Masses of effort and time has been put into Lee in the VFL crafting a new key defender.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
shrodes
SS Life Member

Thought he was good. Needs a bit of time to get back up to AFL pace as others have noted.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

A worry at the start. Had a hand in 2 turnovers Inc the first quarter that resulted in goals to hawks. At this time I posted not good enough and I was one that was hoping he would get game time. Turned it around after the first quarter and was quite good. Needs more time in the firsts.

stonecold
SS Life Member

did he's job, like all needs to do the job required 'week in week out'

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
loris
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:A worry at the start. Had a hand in 2 turnovers Inc the first quarter that resulted in goals to hawks. At this time I posted not good enough and I was one that was hoping he would get game time. Turned it around after the first quarter and was quite good. Needs more time in the firsts.
Yes in that first quarter, I thought oooophs he's not up to AFL standard, poor lad. His supposedly good kicking was very off. Possibly nerves.

Felt so pleased that he fought back and turned it around, and showed promise and really stood up in the second half when required. I hope they perservere with Lee for a few weeks - at least till Roberton gets back. Then maybe Fisher might need a rest as he looks like he's labouring by the final quarters in all games so far. Might freshen Fisher up to have the occasional weeks rest, Lee hopefully fill in for him.

Or who knows Lee may play so well in the coming weeks, and his form demands he remain in the team? I hope so, think he needs a bit of luck.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Given it takes time to adjust to the pace of the AFL - some would say a few weeks and given he hasnt played Seniors for 2 years - the 1st quarter nerves can be forgiven completely imo. He just got better as the game went on. He would definitely get a game as a 3rd defender at quite a few teams and it is kicking that makes him potentially a good player. Surely in a post Dempster, Fisher team there is a spot for Tom? Even with Carlisle and Goddard in the side. I dont think Roberton is miles better than Tom. Probably very similar. Roberton might give a bit more run but Lee is a better kick. Lee probably a better mark. We have incredible backline depth coming through atm.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Played an excellent three qtrs and went some way to me eating my words. More than happy to be wrong on Lee. Always thought he's had the talent, not the application. With this latest opportunity it seems the penny may be dropping. Good on him.

If he can develop the sort of game he showed on the weekend, he adds a huge amount to our backline as he's a perfect size for modern footy and a great user.

Keep it up!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Given it takes time to adjust to the pace of the AFL - some would say a few weeks and given he hasnt played Seniors for 2 years - the 1st quarter nerves can be forgiven completely imo. He just got better as the game went on. He would definitely get a game as a 3rd defender at quite a few teams and it is kicking that makes him potentially a good player. Surely in a post Dempster, Fisher team there is a spot for Tom? Even with Carlisle and Goddard in the side. I dont think Roberton is miles better than Tom. Probably very similar. Roberton might give a bit more run but Lee is a better kick. Lee probably a better mark. We have incredible backline depth coming through atm.
Ageed Con, and it needs to be remembered that he is 194cm. Thats pretty much kpp height so he is very adaptable. Same height as Roo, McCartin and Hogan.

Very different player to Roberton, who is a great run and carry player who links up well from the backline with good height. Lee plays more like a backline general, directing play by foot use.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Has the body of an AFL player now and certainly has the skills. He clearly took a little while to adjust to the pace but that's understandable considering he's had two years to get used to VFL footy. Should stay in at least until Roberton is back. IMO definitely worth keeping around for the post Fisher/Dempster era.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Must admit he was good. Needs more time in the AFL to get used to the speed. LOL I TOLD EVERYONE HE NEEDED TO CUT HIS HAIR AND AS SOON AS HE DID??? THERE it is he plays like a man. Best news possible. He is highly skilled and was a gun in waiting. Everything looking great.
Made him look a lot less like a 14-year-old virgin. :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Once he settled into the flow of the game, he was much better.

Can kick the ball really well, which shouldn't be underestimated.

I've been cold on him for a while, but we invested a lot in him and we owe it to him and ourselves to see what we can turn him into. We're not playing for finals this year, so we can afford to experiment and work out what we really want. I'd like to see him given a run of six straight games before any decision is made.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yes he kicks it well but he's rigid and slow at times. Agree that he should be given a chance, but somehow I feel that unless he drastically improves his fitness he'll be struggling for consistency.

A bloke his size needs to be a better athlete. He needs to be dedicated 24/7 to making it as an AFL footballer. I think he'd benefit from a regular flexibility regime like yoga and pilates which will also help his strength as well as agility.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

When he settles in and shows his awesome kicking ability we'll be laughing!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
To the top
SS Life Member

Firstly we need that 3rd defensive tall.

Neither Dempster (191cm) nor Roberton (194cm) nor Gilbert (194cm) play to their height in my opinion - altho Dempster can take strong, contested defensive marks when he is not body on body and Gilbert is a very effective spoiler.

So if Lee can play to his 194cm height taking overhead marks including contested marks and spoiling when that is the option plus show pressure mobility on ball carriers, third option contests and space he is what we are looking for, to support Fisher and Goddard (who must get games) this season and Carlisle and Goddard next season (assuming this is Fisher's last season).

One matter is that up until this season, Lee has not had a pre-season and then has run into injuries during the season.

So he has to build the required AFL fitness.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Watching the replay. Lee had two poor kicks in the first qtr. Dempster kicked two on the full under no pressure in the first as well. Was bizarre.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

IMO he's a better option then Delaney. Much better skills and gets more of it.

Was one of the positives from the weekend.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Lee transformation culminates in return

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-04-1 ... -in-return

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't have a KPP body. Not big enough.

Third tall at best

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Going forward we only need Lee as a "third tall" as we are grooming Carlisle and Goddard as the backline monsters.

You certianly do not need, or want, 3 giant backman.

On the other hand someone that can kick as well as Lee can be a real weapon. I mean for how long have we see games lost from poor kicks out of our back half? Having a number of players who can kick well out of defense will make it harder for the opposition to sit on our good ball users like they do now.

You can certainly envisage a future backline like:

Webster Goddard Roberton
Lee Carlisle Savage

That has 4 pretty good kickers in it and 3 good runners.

That Lee is a good goal kicker that could be swung forward at times would add versatility.

IMO it is well worth giving Lee at least 4 games ina row to see if he can assume that rle. The club has put a lot of time and effort into making him into a defender. Let's see it it can work.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....