Gresham

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gresham

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gresham

If you watch his highlights from the North game, despite only 11 touches they were all pretty classy.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2016-02- ... -spotlight

Good in close with incisive handballs, he can kick both sides - put a beautiful kick lace out to Tommy Lee. He looks very clean with disposal (had one bad shank but we'll ignore that). Once he gets an AFL level tank he could be a ripper - an accumulator that uses the ball extremely well. Exciting lad.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He's an exciting prospect. It's going to be fun to see his career progress.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:If you watch his highlights from the North game, despite only 11 touches they were all pretty classy.

Good in close with incisive handballs, he can kick both sides - put a beautiful kick lace out to Tommy Lee. He looks very clean with disposal (had one bad shank but we'll ignore that). Once he gets an AFL level tank he could be a ripper - an accumulator that uses the ball extremely well. Exciting lad.
Thanks for posting that link.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:If you watch his highlights from the North game, despite only 11 touches they were all pretty classy.

Seems to have a pretty mature body too, managed to keep his feet with the body contact quite a few times. Exciting stuff.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

He'll be class.

Wombat15
Club Player

Adding to that he's willing to use his non preferred foot which to me has always been an encouraging sign. Mature body and seems to be willing to throw his weight around seems a very solid pick up.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:

Seems to have a pretty mature body too, managed to keep his feet with the body contact quite a few times. Exciting stuff.
Loved it when he didnt get monstered by Firrito. Just bounced off him and kept going.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Jade Gresham - 11 Disposals @ 91% DE - 7 marks - 1 tackle - 4 inside 50s - 38% TOG (one half of footy)

Probably should have had another mark and goal if he didn't drop that chesty in the goal square

Will be a player :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He looks handy... A bit like Sinclair

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Only needed to see him for 5 minutes today to be satisfied we have recruited a natural footballer. Has a footy brain, a lock for round 1.

Saint supporter since '62
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Only needed to see him for 5 minutes today to be satisfied we have recruited a natural footballer. Has a footy brain, a lock for round 1.

I like what I've seen of the Gresh but he only managed a half of a game today. How can you throw him into AFL round 1 with confidence he can play out the whole game? That's too risky. He needs to string together some solid performances in the VFL first and show he can play out matches. I would look at Sinclair or Templeton who have the runs on the board from last year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He looks handy... A bit like Sinclair
Looks so much better than Sinclair already, has a beautifully balanced game. Looks like a potential star.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
Trev from the Bush wrote:Only needed to see him for 5 minutes today to be satisfied we have recruited a natural footballer. Has a footy brain, a lock for round 1.

I like what I've seen of the Gresh but he only managed a half of a game today. How can you throw him into AFL round 1 with confidence he can play out the whole game? That's too risky. He needs to string together some solid performances in the VFL first and show he can play out matches. I would look at Sinclair or Templeton who have the runs on the board from last year.

Disagree Bluthy.

He was deliberately held back to half time, no big deal there. He also played against the Roos at Wang so he has been thought enough of to play in both of our main practice matches. And he has shown why he was drafted.

He is our number one draft pick - drafted by the StKilda Football Club to play for the StKilda Football Club, not for Sandringham. He has shown he has the footy smarts, we don't have a backlog of stars coming into the team so he is as ready as any player. Looks the goods, play him.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Agree Trev,we might have a beauty here!

PADDLEPOP1000
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Got plenty of it yesterday and wasn't afraid. This guy doesn't hear footsteps. I am happy we have got him.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

When did Templeton get runs on the board? Another chronically overrated player who I can't see getting a game barring mass injuries.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

He just looks class. Hope he gets 15 senior games this year.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Disagree Bluthy.

He was deliberately held back to half time, no big deal there. He also played against the Roos at Wang so he has been thought enough of to play in both of our main practice matches. And he has shown why he was drafted.

He is our number one draft pick - drafted by the StKilda Football Club to play for the StKilda Football Club, not for Sandringham. He has shown he has the footy smarts, we don't have a backlog of stars coming into the team so he is as ready as any player. Looks the goods, play him.
You don't play firsts because of your draft pick. Dmac, Acres, Goddard and McCartin have all done a good grounding in VFL. Gresham almost played a sub role yesterday where he came on with fresh legs when you could see a lot of players already wilting a bit in the 3rd quarter so you would expect him to be busy and get a big of it just playing 2 quarters. The rotated heavily in the North game with a big bench so he may only have played 2 and half quarters or something. Personally I don't think he's done enough to get a guernsey in the firsts and I would worry about him being able to run out the game with no sub. But then again maybe he's training the house down and excelling in match simulation so we'll see I guess.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

So, we shouldn't have played Lonie in round 1 last year based on his good showing in the NAB?

Apparently he is training the house down so I'd play him.

Owe you a beer at Etihad if I am wrong.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:

How does Templeton have runs on the board from last year? He was either injured or playing VFL footy and he was not a stand out at Sandy. Gresham is almost a certainty for round 1. Sinclair has to be doubtful after not playing any footy this week.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:So, we shouldn't have played Lonie in round 1 last year based on his good showing in the NAB?

Apparently he is training the house down so I'd play him.

Owe you a beer at Etihad if I am wrong.
FRom memory Lonie played two full preseason games and did really well with goals and setting players up. Plus we had virtually no small forwards with curren and minch struggling. Gresham played against North and had just 11 touches. Then they felt he could only cope with half a game yesterday and 11 touches was ok but he spilled a sitter. I don't think he's done enough. Port will feel we are underdone are will try and run us off our legs in the second half to get a nice little percentage boost to kick off their season. I think the Gresh is too risky - and a tough road trip into possibly the most hostile territory in the AFL is not the best way to build a virgins confidence. As the new overused AFL cliche goes - he's here for a long time not just round 1. I'd go with guys who at least have a second year tank on them rather than just two half games of footy.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:[
How does Templeton have runs on the board from last year? He was either injured or playing VFL footy and he was not a stand out at Sandy. Gresham is almost a certainty for round 1. Sinclair has to be doubtful after not playing any footy this week.
People swing very hard one way or another on young players. His first season he showed great energy and opportunism. He played 6 games of AFL last year and worked hard through a tough period. I just think he deserves another shot early as a third year player who came off a bad injury.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think Minchington has the most to offer atm out of the small player brigade... Beside Steven

But I must be missing something?

evo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I think Minchington has the most to offer atm out of the small player brigade... Beside Steven

But I must be missing something?
I don't think Minch or Lee are in Richo's plans. I can not see why though.