How's Newnesy Going?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

How's Newnesy Going?

Let me start this by saying I really like Jack Newnes, he has good endeavour and workrate. Would love to see him play 200 games.

But how's he actually going? This was supposed to be his breakout year but it hasn't really happened.

What does he actually do well? Averaging 20 touches for the second year in a row but has never had 30 in a game. Currently ranked 6th in the team for disposals, 9th for tackles, 9th for clearances, 11th for contested possessions, 6th for uncontested possessions, 6th for inside 50s, 10th for disposal effectiveness, 4th for goal assists. That suggests he's about the 6th best mid in a side screaming out for good mids.

He's 22.5 and has played about 67 games. Time still on his side but what sort of player is he actually going to become? Has he got more improvement in him? Or is what we see now basically what we should expect from Newnesy?

stjay
Club Player

Re: How's Newnesy Going?

Think the question is do we think he'll ever be an A grader?
I don't know the answer - it's 50/50 IMO
Been a solid contributor this year without starring.
That's why I think he could be traded. We could cover losing him but he has value in the trade market as part of getting a genuine star in the door.
Don't want to lose him and, same as the OP, would love to see him play 200 for us.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think he is already pretty good. Will never be an out and out star. Not quite as tall or as good in the air as Corey Enright - but that kind of player.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Solid b-c grader
Every side needs them but the side with the better quality b-Cs usually do better

67 games is getting up there - next year is the year he needs to really break out if he's ever going to

“Yeah….nah””
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

He's going well. 67 games is a few but he has played most of those in a very ordinary side.

I expect by the time he gets to 150 games he will be a strong b-a grade player. I think he will play his best footy rotating betweenies the backline and centre. At the moment I feel he is spending too much time in the midfield that we are not making the most of his ball use.

Will be a future captain.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I've got Newnes as our best against the Swans.

He's gonna be super important going forward but probably won't ever be elite.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

he's going well

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I actually reckon he's had a VG year, he is between A&B for me.
Really improved his decision making.

uptheboys
Club Player

Impressed me today, some good long penetrating kicks. He was very good last week too, going back and kicking that goal late screamed of leadership and him taking responsibility which I loved.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I reckon he'll be in the top 3 or 4 in our B&F, so I say he's tracking very nicely.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:I reckon he'll be in the top 3 or 4 in our B&F, so I say he's tracking very nicely.
Yep. I see him being consistently in the top 5-7 in the B&F. Will get a few top 3 finishes when he is 25-28. That makes him a very very good player.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:I actually reckon he's had a VG year, he is between A&B for me.
Really improved his decision making.
This.

Always loyal
howlinwolf
Club Player

Imagine if we had him in 09 or 10 as opposed to some on the list we had. Rossy would have jumped at him. Great disposal and able to stick to a drilled plan. He's not the mecurial Riewoldt or Bruce but would be an integral part of a premiership team imo.
Quality disposal is key attribute these days. Collingwood's game against Geelong showed that to me. Their disposal was incredible and something we need to lift to.
So I'm happy with what I see in Jack.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
sainterryan

He is one of our best and i think he has taken his game up a level this year. Tackles with intensity and chases hard. Add all the 1% to those 20+ touches and you have a very good player. OP must be blind

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Our best player from 3 drafts and while he will be a solid long term player for us that says a lot about how those drafts ended up being major busts.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Quite possibly he is the absolute least of our worries. Young, tough, reliable and makes good decisions.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

uptheboys wrote:Impressed me today, some good long penetrating kicks. He was very good last week too, going back and kicking that goal late screamed of leadership and him taking responsibility which I loved.
That was Murdoch.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Let me start this by saying I really like Jack Newnes, he has good endeavour and workrate. Would love to see him play 200 games.

But how's he actually going? This was supposed to be his breakout year but it hasn't really happened.

What does he actually do well? Averaging 20 touches for the second year in a row but has never had 30 in a game. Currently ranked 6th in the team for disposals, 9th for tackles, 9th for clearances, 11th for contested possessions, 6th for uncontested possessions, 6th for inside 50s, 10th for disposal effectiveness, 4th for goal assists. That suggests he's about the 6th best mid in a side screaming out for good mids.

He's 22.5 and has played about 67 games. Time still on his side but what sort of player is he actually going to become? Has he got more improvement in him? Or is what we see now basically what we should expect from Newnesy?
I didn't see him today but this year he's been pretty solid. He doesn't have a single trait that is stand out but is a great all rounder. Great mark, good kick, clean hands. I would say he's improved his out put this year. I think he's roughly the same age as Ross who is also not there yet so he has time. He is not a true mid more playing off a back wing or flank. His first month was pretty ordinary but overall he's been pretty solid. There is a reason he has played just about every match since he arrived.

The Recruit
Club Player

Tough as nails....best tackler in the team. He will be a 200 gamer for sure. With any young players you expect improvement, his numbers this year have been very very good in a team that's won 6 games. I expect them to be even better next year.

Will be in our best 22 when we are challenging for finals

StPeter
Club Player

Had a serviceable year but the one thing about his game that annoys me is that he usually looks to pass it backwards as his first option.

Long Term Injury
Club Player

I think he has improved a fair bit this year. Not a 'break out' year, but has looked good. He generally has A-grade disposal, and agility. And i think in the last few weeks, month his outside game has improved. He is an absolute competitor, so good one on one, and i think with continued progress on the outside will be a very very good player for us. I rate him.

ace
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:Think the question is do we think he'll ever be an A grader?
I don't know the answer - it's 50/50 IMO
Been a solid contributor this year without starring.
That's why I think he could be traded. We could cover losing him but he has value in the trade market as part of getting a genuine star in the door.
Don't want to lose him and, same as the OP, would love to see him play 200 for us.

Milk, not cream.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Imagine if we had him in 09 or 10 as opposed to some on the list we had. Rossy would have jumped at him. Great disposal and able to stick to a drilled plan. He's not the mecurial Riewoldt or Bruce but would be an integral part of a premiership team imo.
Quality disposal is key attribute these days. Collingwood's game against Geelong showed that to me. Their disposal was incredible and something we need to lift to.
So I'm happy with what I see in Jack.

Ross play a kid?