Nathan Wright

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

S.A Saint
Club Player

Nathan Wright

I was a massive fan of his when he first burst onto the afl scene. I remember one particular play in his 2nd or 3rd game were he was in the centre square for a centre bounce, received the ball done a pirouette and burst out of the centre square hitting a target 15 out directly in front.

Ever since he had his jaw broken he has not been the same and over the last year or so hasn't looked like even being named as an emergency let alone playing.

Now i do read the vfl reports etc and it seems to be that his skill level is not up to standard, but i do recall that he had pretty decent set of skills when he first started out.

Can anyone else shed any light as he seems to be getting by passed with every draft and in danger of being cut.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nathan Wright

I like Nathan too, I think the current coach doesn't though. Saunders and Wright have both been starved of opportunity under Richo.

S.A Saint
Club Player

gringo wrote:I like Nathan too, I think the current coach doesn't though. Saunders and Wright have both been starved of opportunity under Richo.
Yeah i guess every coach has players that he prefers over others, its just human nature.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:I was a massive fan of his when he first burst onto the afl scene. I remember one particular play in his 2nd or 3rd game were he was in the centre square for a centre bounce, received the ball done a pirouette and burst out of the centre square hitting a target 15 out directly in front.

Ever since he had his jaw broken he has not been the same and over the last year or so hasn't looked like even being named as an emergency let alone playing.

Now i do read the vfl reports etc and it seems to be that his skill level is not up to standard, but i do recall that he had pretty decent set of skills when he first started out.

Can anyone else shed any light as he seems to be getting by passed with every draft and in danger of being cut.

I think his skill has always been an issue. Got by when we had no depth at all but now that we have better younger players he has been left behind. He should be right until the end of next season but he would want to show something next year or he could be out the door.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I like Nathan too, I think the current coach doesn't though. Saunders and Wright have both been starved of opportunity under Richo.

I think grouping those 2 together shows exactly what their problem is. Skill.

S.A Saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:I was a massive fan of his when he first burst onto the afl scene. I remember one particular play in his 2nd or 3rd game were he was in the centre square for a centre bounce, received the ball done a pirouette and burst out of the centre square hitting a target 15 out directly in front.

I think his skill has always been an issue. Got by when we had no depth at all but now that we have better younger players he has been left behind. He should be right until the end of next season but he would want to show something next year or he could be out the door.
Thats fair enough, could he be a replacement for gears though?

Seems quick? skills i think would be on par and is fearless.. Doesnt seem to be beaten going by vfl reports..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Seems quick? skills i think would be on par and is fearless.. Doesnt seem to be beaten going by vfl reports..

The problem with that is Geary has at least 3 years left. He needs to play a few next year. I cant see who he replaces though.

S.A Saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The problem with that is Geary has at least 3 years left. He needs to play a few next year. I cant see who he replaces though.
Even when gears has been injured i cant remember wright being given a game. Apart from him i cant really seem who he could replace.

FQF
SS Life Member

Wright has explosive attributes in speed and toughness but is, you could say, still very rough around the edges. I think the club sees a future with him and is purposely getting him to work on his deficiencies in the VFL. Unlike someone like Simpkin who is just a perennial VFL dweller, I believe that with Wright there is a plan in place to get him up to standard. That is mainly his skill problems which I think is a combination of both raw skill and the composure to take a steadying step before disposing - similar to Jack Steven, their disposal takes a hit when they're running at full pace.

If both Wright and Markworth become regular senior players - together with Webster and Jack - we will have gone a very long way to becoming a very quick team.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

S.A Saint wrote:Ever since he had his jaw broken he has not been the same and over the last year or so hasn't looked like even being named as an emergency let alone playing.
Actually he played three at the start of this year, but two of them were sub-affected and he didn't make much impact even in the Carlton game where he was on the whole time. 16 touches at 50% efficiency and 4 clangers wasn't too impressive.

I still think he might have the tools to make it but I think he's going to need others to have some bad luck with injuries. Definitely won't go off the list this year but at the end of 2016 he'll be looking pretty shaky if he hasn't played 10+ between now and then.

FQF
SS Life Member

I know that what Richo says on Twitter must be taken with many grains of salt, but in relation to Wright he said this week that long term he is a very important player for us.

S.A Saint
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
S.A Saint wrote:Ever since he had his jaw broken he has not been the same and over the last year or so hasn't looked like even being named as an emergency let alone playing.
Actually he played three at the start of this year, but two of them were sub-affected and he didn't make much impact even in the Carlton game where he was on the whole time. 16 touches at 50% efficiency and 4 clangers wasn't too impressive.

I still think he might have the tools to make it but I think he's going to need others to have some bad luck with injuries. Definitely won't go off the list this year but at the end of 2016 he'll be looking pretty shaky if he hasn't played 10+ between now and then.
In that carlton game i dont think anyone was over 50% tbh!

But yea he seems to have that power/burst of speed that we are lacking atm from the contest.

Could he play a similar role to matt white from port?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think a number of guys recruited in the Watters era don't get a fair go.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Probably because most aren't good enough I would suggest.

FQF
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
Don't get a fair go? They might not get a go, but that would only be based on merit. Do you really believe that Richo would compromise team success, not to mention his own coaching career, based on some one-upmanship with Watters? Maybe personalities come into play, they also do in one way or another, but merit will rule the day.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Hopefully he will gain some composure as he develops 'cos some of his other attributes, like speed and courage, are elite.

Freebird
Club Player

Wright is injury prone but if he gets a good run at it, he'll be a very good 200 game player that adds pace and energy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

There is a guy called Moorabin Ghost on Big Footy who claims to be somehow part of the club and seems reasonable knowledgable on internal rumblings and he has pretty much written him off due to his skill saying he never rated him because of poor kicking technique. I find it a bit infuriating if he is part of the club that he'd write him off so quickly.

He came on as the sub earlier this year and looked really good had an average full game the next week and seems to be written off. He bagged out Spencers application earlier in the year but now says that he is dealing with bigger issues than footy. Anyway who knows who he is but possibly he's gone at some point. I like the way he plays though. This guy also said Geary would be replaced but apparently Gears is the favourite of the coach.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He has time to make it srill.

We are building quality.

However it will also depend wjo we draft on over the next 2 years. Competition to play in the firsts is only going to get tpugher now. Players are going to need to step up a cog to get selected.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Richo demands our boys attack with manic speed and precision which is hard to do at high speed without time to compose yourself. Players like Wright, Saunders and Rupie don't have the skills to do this. I reckon Minch and Sippa also fall into this boat.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:There is a guy called Moorabin Ghost on Big Footy who claims to be somehow part of the club and seems reasonable knowledgable on internal rumblings and he has pretty much written him off due to his skill saying he never rated him because of poor kicking technique. I find it a bit infuriating if he is part of the club that he'd write him off so quickly.

He came on as the sub earlier this year and looked really good had an average full game the next week and seems to be written off. He bagged out Spencers application earlier in the year but now says that he is dealing with bigger issues than footy. Anyway who knows who he is but possibly he's gone at some point. I like the way he plays though. This guy also said Geary would be replaced but apparently Gears is the favourite of the coach.

No idea who this Moorabbin ghost is but can confirm what he says about spencer is true. It's not my place to share but he is battling some pretty heavy personal stuff...far bigger than football

#1 Ryder fan
saint6709
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:
gringo wrote:There is a guy called Moorabin Ghost on Big Footy who claims to be somehow part of the club and seems reasonable knowledgable on internal rumblings and he has pretty much written him off due to his skill saying he never rated him because of poor kicking technique. I find it a bit infuriating if he is part of the club that he'd write him off so quickly.

No idea who this Moorabbin ghost is but can confirm what he says about spencer is true. It's not my place to share but he is battling some pretty heavy personal stuff...far bigger than football
Is it a battle he is likely to win ?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Really hope wright makes it.
we invest so much time we need some of these guys to kick on and even if they aren't elite they become real good B grade stock - think Geary
although when I look at Hawks.......I don't see to many shabby kicks...

“Yeah….nah””
Freebird
Club Player

Wright has to make it as it looks like we've wasted pick 12/13 re hickey/spencer - Lee/Wright

Huge gamble throwing those picks (first round) at players not good enough to be playing league at time.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:Wright has to make it as it looks like we've wasted pick 12/13 re hickey/spencer - Lee/Wright

Huge gamble throwing those picks (first round) at players not good enough to be playing league at time.
yes that Pelchen classic may not be his best work.

“Yeah….nah””