Selection decisions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

Selection decisions

Richo seems to be doing a great job, some selection decisions, particularly the subs confuse me a bit.
I agree that the sub rule needs to be abolished, but in saying that, it's part of the game so we need to play with it.
I don't understand why players like Seb Ross are selected as the sub, it's a part of the game that should be held for pure explosive runners who can come on late in a game with fresh legs to bust it open. No contested possession plodders.
I like Ross, but if the club choose to go with Armo, Dunstan, Weller ect as big bodied mids, then Seb should just play VFL. We end up being so slow when we go with them all.

I don't understand the treatment of Acres. Way too good for VFL, is constantly made the sub or subbed our. I think he only played one unaffected sub game this year. Maybe he made some mistakes, but Jesus Christ look at half our team, we're the mistake kings. I just can't see how his confidence or development is helped by continuously being dropped or subbed. Last year Billings and co had some quiet games but we're just backed in week after week.

Also, the whole Lee/Goddard situation. I understand letting Goddard develop and not rushing him. But Lee isn't an 18 year old. Don't understand how he can't get a game when Fisher was injured. Even if he is too small for a KDP as a third tall option is rather him over Shenton any day.

And the whole hickey v Longer thing is puzzling. Hickey seems to do everything right, Longer comes back to the pre season fat. hickey hasn't had a crack at the number 1 ruck position all year. Was forced to play as a forward which probably just destroyed his confidence.

And the Debut of Paddy was handled so poorly. Our only Froday night game, wet, rainiy, against the Pies, no Roo. Can't help but feel that he was hung out to dry a bit.

As I said at the start, I like Ticho, byt is there a case of sting favourites perhaps?
Personally Acres should just be told he has the whole year, just play his game without fear of being dropped or subbed.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Re: Selection decisions

Agree 100% with Acres... Needs game time. RE Ross. I did think was great when he came on. 11 disposals in 1 QTR of footy is fantastic!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Injured. Wrist or thumb - iced up during the Sandy game yesterday. Let's hope it's just a sprain.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I guess AR is looking at team balance, and players who can carry out the game-plan in his selections, but IMO Hickey should be in the seniors without question as first ruck, as he is our best and most skilled ruck at the moment.. Ross impressed in his quarter of footy against the Dogs, but we have Dunstan and Ross who have good skills yet are one-paced, so unless one is a mid and one is a forward, how do they fit in the same team? I thought AR would have brought Ross on at half time and subbed Minch off then as he wasn't having any real input, and our mids went missing for most of the third quarter anyway, so it may have helped.
Not sure what the go is with Lee- he is experienced, is showing good form, has great footskills, yet Gilbert gets a game, and clearly the game has gone past him, and any skills he had, seem to have gone by the wayside. Goddard may get a game later in the season, but they are not hurrying him or Paddy or Acres as there's plenty to build on, but Paddy shouldn't have been gifted a senior game straight up, and that was a poor choice.
DMac and Sinclair are definately waiting in the wings, and any chance to get them back in the seniors would be great, and I think Ray would be under pressure to keep his spot with those two breathing down his neck.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

A few thoughts....

Firstly, Seb Ross is still coming back from a serious injury. He couldn't possibly have the conditioning required for 4 quarters week after week. Seb was superb in the last quarter, probably his best period of AFL footy, and our best output from a sub for a while. He gave us some really drive as the legs around him began to tire, and I'd say it's poor to question the decision that gave such a good result. After that last quarter, I'd be surprised if we saw Seb as sub this week. And as far a plodders go, Armo is a pretty good example of the "ugly duckling" syndrome. Seb need to become fast in the mind to overcome his lack of pace in the legs.

I'd love to see Acres running around in the seniors every week for a full game, but the tank just isn't there. In the one game where's he's played the full 4 quarters, he cramped badly late in the game and could barely walk. Yes, the conditions were pretty average for AFL footy, but his cramp kicked in earlier and worse than just about anyone else out there. Blake's time will come.

I agree with the Longer vs. Hickey debate. The only question mark is Hickey's knee, whether it's up to full time rucking in the seniors. As much as his confidence is low from playing forward pretty unspectacularly, he probably has some demons to overcome with his body. I still think Hickey is a better player than Longer, but I think there is a future for playing both, especially if the sub rule is scrapped.

Agree re: Paddy - but it was obviously unplanned, and he probably preferred that to a big presser, a full week's anticipation and nerves to deal with, and then having a stinker.

Lee's on his last legs as a AFL player. Plying his trade down back is his last roll of the dice, and good on him for giving it a real crack. With Dempster and Fisher getting close to the end of their careers, I don't mind having a few of these medium defender types waiting in the wings.

And lastly - Richo wouldn't pick the side on his own. I think the coaching group has a really difficult job this year, with very few injuries and a need to get quality game time into promising youngsters.

felix
Club Player

Seb mighten have pace but he does find space ..important quality.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Seb mighten have pace but he does find space ..important quality.

I wish his name was Robert Mace.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I guess AR is looking at team balance, and players who can carry out the game-plan in his selections, but IMO Hickey should be in the seniors without question as first ruck, as he is our best and most skilled ruck at the moment.. Ross impressed in his quarter of footy against the Dogs, but we have Dunstan and Ross who have good skills yet are one-paced, so unless one is a mid and one is a forward, how do they fit in the same team? I thought AR would have brought Ross on at half time and subbed Minch off then as he wasn't having any real input, and our mids went missing for most of the third quarter anyway, so it may have helped.
Not sure what the go is with Lee- he is experienced, is showing good form, has great footskills, yet Gilbert gets a game, and clearly the game has gone past him, and any skills he had, seem to have gone by the wayside. Goddard may get a game later in the season, but they are not hurrying him or Paddy or Acres as there's plenty to build on, but Paddy shouldn't have been gifted a senior game straight up, and that was a poor choice.
DMac and Sinclair are definately waiting in the wings, and any chance to get them back in the seniors would be great, and I think Ray would be under pressure to keep his spot with those two breathing down his neck.
Not sure Dunstan has good skills. He continually does the individual thing instead of the team thing and his disposal is not the best.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!