Membrey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ned Stark
Club Player

Membrey

I was thinking the other day that Tim should be instructed to closely study video footage of Chris Mayne from the Dockers.

Mayne is an extremely important part of Freo's forward line. He has had some form lapses, but when he is fully fit, he is a very good player with a shocking hair cut. He usually kicks a goal or two and applies immense pressure to hold the ball in the forward line.

Tim is a similar size and could play the same role for us once he builds his endurance. In fact, I think Tim is better overhead so could possibly take the Mayne model mid-sized forward to a new level.

Thoughts?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Membrey

Ned Stark wrote:
Thoughts?

off with your head :wink:

You are garbage - Enough said
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He has some good bits to his game Membery but needs to just get a bit more of the ball and convert his chances. His defensive work has been pretty good but he isn't hurting teams. I'm not sure if its experience or something else he needs but he isn't working as well as I thought he might.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Actually think that Mayne is a s*** player in a good team. Membrey has far more potential. He's built like a Luke Parker and needs to build his tank.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I believe Tim could learn from Armitage this year and stop doing heavy weights and lean down a few kilo's to improve his mobility. He looks to chunky through the shoulders etc if he can get that extra speed and separation would help him no end!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Saint wagga
Club Player

Membrey is a very pormising player IMO and if deveoped well and continues to improve could be a good 3rd forward option for us. Has very stickey hands, big and strong and looks to be a good team man! Competiotion for spots will be pretty hot over the next couple of years so he will have to earn his spot!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Members is a good player for Sandy

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Members is a good player for Sandy

Excellent stuff by you.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

at 21 i think it's all ahead for Tim.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

And I'm sure that saintspremiers is a great contributor to some other team's forum..........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Who's going to kick the goals? Bruce did well early, but has tapered off, Roo is doing well but is not going on forever, Paddy is a year or two off, and Membrey is not quite a KPP, so he will need to really put in a big effort to stay in the seniors, but I think he has good skills. I'm tipping Goddard will end up in the forward line- big guy with a bit of mongrel.

avid
Club Player

I think Membrey looks the goods -- he just doesn't find the ball enough yet.
You'd expect him to be still finding his feet, in the first half of his first real season.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Membrey is a very pormising player IMO and if deveoped well and continues to improve could be a good 3rd forward option for us. Has very stickey hands, big and strong and looks to be a good team man! Competiotion for spots will be pretty hot over the next couple of years so he will have to earn his spot!
I think he's shown the opposite of "very sticky hands" so far, dropped a bunch of marks he should have taken. Not to mention he's missed a bunch of goals he should have kicked.

I think he's got all the tools to be a good player, but obviously he needs to tidy up his game and start making the most of his opportunities.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Excellent stuff by you.
And you can speak of all people

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
And I'm sure that saintspremiers is a great contributor to some other team's forum..........
Hilarious

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Excellent stuff by you.
Show me all the posts where I knock our players SP. There are about 50k of them so there should be a few.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Excellent stuff by you.
Show me all the posts where I knock our players SP. There are about 50k of them so there should be a few.
You may not knock many players but you post far more crap than I do.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saintspremiers wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Hilarious

Really?? Wasn't trying to be funny........one clown is enough.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
FQF
SS Life Member

Pretty simple I reckon. Has to convert his chances. He kicked 1.2 against Melbourne. If he kicks 2.1 he earns his spot as a medium forward. If he kicked 3.0 then chances are his confidence goes up, he gets a bit of momentum and gets into the game more, and mids start looking for him more. He really just needs to convert his chances - mid sized forwards don't tend to get a heap of shots on goal so has to make them count. Defensively he ticks the boxes.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Pretty simple I reckon. Has to convert his chances. He kicked 1.2 against Melbourne. If he kicks 2.1 he earns his spot as a medium forward. If he kicked 3.0 then chances are his confidence goes up, he gets a bit of momentum and gets into the game more, and mids start looking for him more. He really just needs to convert his chances - mid sized forwards don't tend to get a heap of shots on goal so has to make them count. Defensively he ticks the boxes.
Agree.

Watching the replay he actually looked really, really good early on against Melbourne.

If he can avoid dropping a few simple marks, and start getting some consistency in his set shots, he has a great chance to become the player we actually imagined he would become when we picked him up late last year.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
FQF wrote:Pretty simple I reckon. Has to convert his chances. He kicked 1.2 against Melbourne. If he kicks 2.1 he earns his spot as a medium forward. If he kicked 3.0 then chances are his confidence goes up, he gets a bit of momentum and gets into the game more, and mids start looking for him more. He really just needs to convert his chances - mid sized forwards don't tend to get a heap of shots on goal so has to make them count. Defensively he ticks the boxes.
Agree.

Watching the replay he actually looked really, really good early on against Melbourne.

If he can avoid dropping a few simple marks, and start getting some consistency in his set shots, he has a great chance to become the player we actually imagined he would become when we picked him up late last year.
Maybe he's trying too hard

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Ned Stark wrote:I was thinking the other day that Tim should be instructed to closely study video footage of Chris Mayne from the Dockers.

Mayne is an extremely important part of Freo's forward line. He has had some form lapses, but when he is fully fit, he is a very good player with a shocking hair cut. He usually kicks a goal or two and applies immense pressure to hold the ball in the forward line.

Tim is a similar size and could play the same role for us once he builds his endurance. In fact, I think Tim is better overhead so could possibly take the Mayne model mid-sized forward to a new level.

Thoughts?
I think this is a pretty sound assessment of where Membrey might look for inspiration...

Mayne has incredible work rate, fitness and tackling pressure... he's no star but is a starting 18 player in a very good side.

Hoping that Membrey can morph into an Armitage or Parker is a sweet dream.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I am hoping that he will be a good addition to the Rooey/Bruce combination. He adds a bit of much needed mongrel to the forward line and can take a mark. Needs more game time to move to the next level.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'll admit I was wrong. He was serviceable tonight and showed some promise.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Membrey played a very good game tonight. Worked incredibly hard, always gave a contest and managed to beat 2-3 opponents a few times. Just really needs to convert his chances. 5 goals from 8 games really isn't good enough for a third tall forward.